Who Else is starting w/ a Kindergartner this coming year? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We started this year w/ preschool but it has taken a bit to get my feet wet and feel like I am getting in the groove of fitting everything in the schedule and working w/ his learning style.

Currently things are pretty laid back- although I started w/ a curriculum it was too much for him and me. WE read books together and he "reads" them himself, we play outside tons- we catch bugs and lizards and talk about the weather - we love Magic School Bus. WE play lots of games for math and other skills- he loves games. WE do puzzles and other activities, legos, build pictures w/ magnets, draw pictures outside and in- paint and sometimes color- although it isn't his favorite. He just started being really interested in writing letters so I bought the Handwriting w/o Tears preschool edition for him- He helps me cook(when he wants) and we garden and lots of other activities outside. WE have library storytime every Tuesday and homeschool co-op on Fridays(although we don't always go).

For next year I am looking at doing more of the same but adding in some more resources- especially for science. A lot of times we are talking about something and there is a chance to explore it more - say ants for example- but it would be nice if I had some resources on hand to go into it right then when he is interested. I would also like talking about history as well and other cultures, and have an atlas available to introduce that as well. I like the idea of unit studies in a loose way.

He likes to do things on his own a lot and minimal instruction. For his letters he doesn't want me to show him how to do it. He likes to look at it and figure it out himself. I don't know if that is good or bad- but that is how he works and it seems best to work with that.

We are not what I would think would be unschoolers though as I am not opposed to using some curriculum when I think it will help give us some guidance. He is just 5 though and I don't feel anything too rigid will work for us right now(maybe not ever). However, I do want to work more on providing opportunities to learn and an enriched environment- without pushing him too much.

anyway- I am curious if anyone else is starting a kindergartner this year and what your plan is? Are you using a whole curriculum? Different parts of curriculum? A style you like to follow?

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#2 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 01:55 PM

We are! We are officially starting kindergarten in May, when DD turns 5.

We're using Calvert, although it looks pretty easy. I think we're going to sail through it in a few months. I was expecting something tricky in that big box but it looks like we've already done more than half of it.

I went to a boxed curriculum to assuage my DH's worries about testing. But we're unschoolers at heart. He needs the security of a box coming in the mail to feel like DD is really getting "school."

On top of Calvert, we've got a bunch of science stuff from Carolina. My favorite is the apron with internal organs. My kids loves tearing them off and putting them in the wrong place. And bugs. And slime. And frogs. And hermit crabs. Next year, it'll be chickens for 4-H.

And I've supplemented with History Odyssey.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#3 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 PM

DD will be kindergarten age this fall. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind about that. I'm not concerned about the homeschooling aspect of it. She asked me to start her in a homeschooling co-op at 21 months, so we've been doing this for a while. It's just that my baby will be FIVE this fall! That's not a preschooler anymore. And preschooler is close to toddler, which is close to baby. No, five is a Big Girl.
#4 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 PM

My head is spinning with all of the HS options! DS just tuned five and I have since been consciously devoting time everyday for "homeschool" activities. at least 1.5 half each day. Though we are not doing anything super structured mind you!

We have stated with Enki for rhythm currently. Since my partner works from home and he has a little sister at home as well as we just moved across country, this is a good fit for us to establish gentle rhythm.. Though I definitely will be using more academic curriculum come fall and likely a little more each year as he gets older. (reading, writing, math,history). I also currently lean more toward montessori type activities at this age which I find blend well with Enki. We are also currently using the books Science is Simple and Alphabet Art as DS really likes tactile experiences. He was teaching himself to read last summer and into the fall. but he seems to be taking a break from it. He likes to practice writing. He also is doing a ton of art projects lately. Clay, paint, drawing,etc. He is learning to tell time and count money. We hike almost daily and are planting a garden. Last week he painted a birdhouse and we are growing flowers and making bird feeders as family projects. We also are going to be traveling quite a bit this summer, so I am not planning anything too serious until fall. Just taking the relaxed approach!

I think he's really love to learn to spin a pottery wheel but the studios around here that have classes are all for older kids. He is really into sculpting/painting though so I may have to look into it more as I think he'd love it!

He will also be doing different community art classes and a farm camp this summer. He has also been going to a friends nature workshops once a month. I am going to start another Earth Scouts group early next year. (I stated one last year but we moved across country in Jan.)..

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 02:23 PM

Wow! I didn't really think about it til you brought it up. I have one starting kindy this year. I may just wait though since he has a late birthday.

We tend to be more unschooly, definitely child led. I have textbooks and workbooks available and it is their choice to use it, but we tend to do more activities. We spend more time taking nature walks and are more play oriented. I don't see that changing with him. He is that type.

As for resources, I have been downloading things for ages it seems like especially since there are two that come before him. I've just been printing things out and storing them in folders for whenever their use comes up. We also have tons of books that could rival a library.
He can already knows his letters and can read a little. I think its funny when a friend of mine tries to get him to sing the alphabet song. She thinks I'm doing something wrong since her kids knew the alphabet song since they were like 2 and 3. I just stare blankly. Although he can sing several songs in Japanese.

Time sure flies. I have one moving out this year and one starting school. Wow. I'm getting up there.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#6 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM

Not starting kindergarten - my son is already grown and close to finishing up college - but I'll offer my article, A Homeschool Curriculum for Preschool and Kindergarten.

And this page has lots of other articles above an annotated list of links to sites that have fun learning activities for little ones - Preschool & Kindergarten Learning Activities. Lillian
#7 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM

I'll be starting kindy with my dd in August. It will be our first year homeschooling as she goes to a private preschool right now. I've kind of picked and choosed various things for our curriculum. We'll be doing the McRuffy K Phonics and Reading curriculum, McRuffy K Science, A Reason for Handwriting K, and Math U See Primer (or Alpha...she can already do the basics covered in Primer, but I want to start with that to gently ease her into formal math). We'll add in various arts and crafts, field trips, reading and bible lessons. We're not the unschooling type. Both my dd and I need structure and she LOVES doing worksheets and book work so I think this will work out well for us.

My dd will only be turning 4 in May, but she already knows all the preschool stuff and a lot of kindy stuff so we decided to just jump in with kindy. If it appears to be too much though, we'll take it at a slower pace and spread it out over 2 years.
#8 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post
Not starting kindergarten - my son is already grown and close to finishing up college - but I'll offer my article, A Homeschool Curriculum for Preschool and Kindergarten.

And this page has lots of other articles above an annotated list of links to sites that have fun learning activities for little ones - Preschool & Kindergarten Learning Activities. Lillian
:

You answered a question for me about a week ago about play and my preschooler. It was very supportive and I am new to this. I am also new to MDC.

However, the reason for me writing is that I read that first link long ago (you added more links I believe) and it was long before I even knew of MDC.

It was inspiring. On my old computer I had it bookmarked.

Just had to let you know that.

Mom of two boys (7/05 and 2/09)
#9 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
Just had to let you know that.
How nice to hear! Thank you! Lillian
#10 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 03:45 PM

My DD turns five in November. So she is not eligible to start Kindy at the PS or at the Private school. They simply draw a hard and fast line at September 1.

We are already doing reading and math stuff though because she asks for it constantly. I looked through some Wal-Mart workbooks to fins some fun activities to do together and her current level of need is in the first grade workbook.

So while not technically eligible for Kindy until 18 months from now, she is doing first grade work and is so thirsty for more. I don't push her and mostly just enoucourage play. I decided not to worry about labels and levels or whether her social or motor development is on par with her reading level. It simply doesn't matter to me.

I'll let her keep working on her workbooks and doing educational games because she likes them and take more of the unschooling approach. I doubt I'll bother o put her in Kindy when we get there because by then who knows what level of academics she'll need. As long as we can keep enough social stuff going on, and I think we can as many of our good friends are homeschooling, I imagine we'll stick with the eclectic/unschool approach. As far as "what grade is she in?" I assume we'll just go by age. She's in Preschool.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#11 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 05:13 PM

my little boy just turned 5. he will officially start kindergarten in the fall (i.e., i'll register him through our association). he's very excited ...and this summer he even switches classes at church from preschool to K-2 class. he thinks he's hot stuff, lol.

for curriculum, i have MUS primer and ETC primer. he likes www.readingeggs.com too. all other subjects he'll learn alongside his sister (we have FIAR)

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#12 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 05:15 PM

My dd will be 5 in July, so we'll be starting K in August. She likes to mess around with the Explode the Code primers, and we do a lot of conversational learning.

For K, our routine will probably include:

Five in a Row

New American Cursive or Write Now Handwriting (I have both of these workbooks ready, so I'll just see which one works better for us)

RightStart Math

Violin
#13 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
My DD turns five in November. So she is not eligible to start Kindy at the PS or at the Private school. They simply draw a hard and fast line at September 1.

this happened with my dd too. her birthday is early october so she started k at almost age 6. even though we homeschool, i had to be compliant with public school standards. i'm glad we waited though...things are perfect

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#14 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 05:52 PM

DD1 will be 5 in the fall. Here in FL, that means she can't start kindy yet if she were in school, but in NY where we lived last, she could. LOL. Anyway, we move all the time and she's ready for more so we'll do K in the fall. She does Headsprout now, and we'll add Rightstart math A, more HWT, more Language Lessons for Little Ones (she likes doing it lol so I got it so she could have 'work' too), and she'll tag along with what DS does when she wants for science and history (I'm thinking History Odyssey maybe?). No pressure, just dabbling still mostly, but I'll call it kindy for her bc she is ready.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#15 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 PM

My son turned five a couple weeks ago but we've already being using the kindergarten level of the My Father's World curriculum as a "k4" since I had heard it was fairly easy. My son HATES handwriting and reading, but of course they are fairly important academic achievements LOL Being a bit unschooly at heart myself, rather than push him with those I've decided to pretty much just omit them until he's a bit more interested and mature enough to sit still long enough to do it! Interesting to me since reading is often the first thing I hear people doing, but its definately last on our list.

My husband too is one who wants to see "paperwork" so we are going to get alpha omega lifepac's for Bible, History, & Science for the second grade level (kindergarten is only language & math, 1st grade was WAAAY to basic) and I'll just read it to him until he can read for himself. Makes it more interactive for us to have a conversation about the topics anyway. I ordered just two of the first grade books to check them out and see what he thinks and they seem like much less busy work than the alpha omega horizons books (which we used a little this year for langauge and math.)

Our schedule will entail a playgroup weekly, joining the local HS group so we can go on "field trips" together (monthly I think), and doing just a couple pages of the lifepac workbooks a day. We already go to the library frequently so we'll keep that up too.
#16 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 08:45 PM

DD would be going into K if we had not pulled her out of school. She had just about completed the pre-K Handwriting without Tears at her private school before we pulled her out at the beginning of March. She has requested the next one in the series. Otherwise, we are not doing any established curriculum.

Holli
#17 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 PM

My DD will be 5 in a week!
We did preschool stuff this last year- Rod and Staff's preschool, Hooked on Phonics Kindergarten, and Singapore Earlybird.

We've already started some of the Kindy stuff and will add in more after the summer.
Right now we're doing:
Singapore Earlybird 2A
Hooked on Phonics 1st Grade
Cursive First
and Galloping the Globe

and we'll start some gentle nature study once the weather is not so cold and FLOODING. : We'll also start Latin.

: DD loves homeschooling. And I do, too.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#18 of 95 Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM

My daughter will be school-age in Texas this coming fall, which prompted me to start thinking about goals I have for the next, say, half-year (I always need a plan, even knowing I will deviate from said plan, probably several times).

I came up with:
-get outside and run around every day
-enroll in readingeggs.com (we did the trial and enjoyed it)
-try to sit down a couple times a week to talk about numbers and patterns (DH and I are/were engineers, so we're a number-oriented family)
-see if we can do Rosetta Stone together, since I want to learn Spanish too
-see if I can fit in some other Spanish language activities a couple times a week
#19 of 95 Old 03-29-2009, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My ds has finally persuaded me to pull him out of K4 (his last day was Friday! Woot!). I don't think he'll ever willingly walk into a school again, unless he figures out upon attaining puberty that all the girls are there.

He's very computer-oriented, and we can get K12 for free through a public virtual charter school, so we're going to try that for a year starting in September and see how it goes. I am actually not a huge believer in a structured kindergarten program, but ds loves curriculum and milestones and structure as much as he hates being cooped up in a room with his age peers for hours on end. I think he'll adore K12.

My big challenge for this year is to find a way for ds to work with animals - that is his passion. Maybe a 4H project?

Right now, we're working through Saxon Math K and Hooked on Phonics, mostly so that I can get in the habit of making schooling a normal part of our days.
#20 of 95 Old 03-29-2009, 01:02 AM

My youngest will be kindergarten-aged this fall. We'll just keep doing what we've always done. No transition or anything, since we unschool.
#21 of 95 Old 03-29-2009, 01:04 AM

Us too! Starting in July I think, because Pre-K runs until June. I've been thinking about a year-round schedule with some long breaks off in between maybe 4-5 sessions.

I don't know that we'll do a whole lot of curriculum overall, but I'm thinking that we'll do a fair amount of travel, and I think it will be nice to have "weeks off" where I don't try to cover any curriculum and can catch up on the housekeeping, etc. (Someone in a homeschooling book I read did that, but they did heavy duty curriculum in their "on" weeks). I think DD would do well with some weeks where she can focus on crafty things and more independent work--hand sewing, she reallllly wants to learn to knit, and those weeks seem like a good time for that.

So far, I think we'll do some Peak with Books, because we already have it and she seems to like it. Might do Right Start Math, too.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#22 of 95 Old 03-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Sounds like you're doing a GREAT job.

My second is starting kindergarten -- we started when she turned five also, rather than waiting for the "official" academic year. It was an easy transition, just kind of firming up what we were already doing with reading, math, etc.

My older child (9) is also homeschooled, so Sadie (5) can see kind of what things look like down the road, and she's eager to get started. There's no need to jump into a big rigorous schedule or make lots of plans -- just continue to go with the flow and follow your child's lead.

Writer, editor, homeschooler, velociraptor. 

http://theharpoonist.blogspot.com

#23 of 95 Old 03-29-2009, 11:44 AM

We will start officially in the upcoming school year. Nik was eligible for K last fall but we decided to wait to start since we could. That gives us an extra year before he has to be tested according to NY state regulations. So for official paperwork purposes he'll be a Kindergartner, but in reality he's already adding double-digit numbers, starting to grasp multiplication, and reading entire easy-reader books, so we'll probably do a lot of 1st grade work.

We'll be schooling year-round in a relaxed manner. It would be silly not to, when I have a child who brings me Joy Hakim's A History of Us series to read as a storybook. For us, learning is just an extension of daily life.

I have read a ton of books and internet links since before I got pregnant with Nik, so I have some ideas about how I would like certain aspects of learning to occur. But I'm realistic, so I know that it may not work out the way I want it to.

I think that the classical model of chronological history make a lot of sense. And I like the cyclical teaching of history and science that classical education follows. Most of the other aspects of a classical education are too rigid for me. I also identify with many of Charlotte Mason's ideas. I think narration is the perfect tool for cementing reading comprehension, and reading comprehension is a vital step in learning IMO.

Nik already plays with math and does math workbooks on a daily basis. I see no reason to start a formal curriculum and turn math into something to hate and fear. (I'm not saying that this definitely happens with curriculum use, but I don't want to take the chance! ) I've payed attention to the concepts that the various curriculum present in each grade, so I'll gently introduce those concepts to him and if he shows an interest (which judging by his current love of anything math-related he will) we'll find some resources to explore.

Science experiments are something we already do together as a family. It's a common Saturday evening activity in our house. Last night we played with baking soda and citric acid to make "volcanoes", and then we made a cornstarch suspension (what do people call it?....oobleck?) and watched parts of this YouTube video so we could see people run across it. They had so much fun with the suspension (which we haven't made since Nik was about 2) and played with it for almost an hour. My only struggle with science will be in regards to life science. So far Nik thinks science is only fun if it involves chemistry of some sort. He told his preschool teacher that "biology is boring." I took advanced biology in high school, so I obviously disagree!

My mom discovered a Highlights For Children subscription kit called Top Secret Adventures and we're going to use that to have some fun with geography. Marc really wants to teach geography, so that will be an activity to do with Daddy. We're also going to introduce some family geneology (which Nik has shown an interest in) by talking about the places our ancestors were born and lived.

Ok, this post has become really long , so I'll stop there.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#24 of 95 Old 03-29-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

Thanks for the links. I have read them in the past and wondered if we would ever get to the point where it was just a natural learning environment- because in my heart I lean toward unschooling. Now rereading your list I am happy to see we are now incorporating a lot of those things into our life- always room for improvement- but we are still relatively new to this and figuring out what works for us all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Us too! Starting in July I think, because Pre-K runs until June. I've been thinking about a year-round schedule with some long breaks off in between maybe 4-5 sessions.

I don't know that we'll do a whole lot of curriculum overall, but I'm thinking that we'll do a fair amount of travel, and I think it will be nice to have "weeks off" where I don't try to cover any curriculum and can catch up on the housekeeping, etc. (Someone in a homeschooling book I read did that, but they did heavy duty curriculum in their "on" weeks). I think DD would do well with some weeks where she can focus on crafty things and more independent work--hand sewing, she reallllly wants to learn to knit, and those weeks seem like a good time for that.
I am still trying to figure out a schedule kind of thing- more of varying levels of intensity and working out how to help him self-direct so I can keep up with my duties as well. It is so much more of a process than I figured at first.

Also- I appreciate everyone's posts in every single one I heard of something new that we can explore and see what might or might not work for us.

Also big in this all is learning more about visual spatial learning. Anyone else seem to have a visual spatial learner? I have been so frustrated by Luke and his inability/unwillingness to count no matter how many times we go over it. Reading the articles though it finally clicks- that is not the way he works. It is interesting as that he needs to see the whole picture. I had wrote in my first post how he likes to figure things on his own and likes it to be perfect before you see it- it was so need to read that was a trait in common of vsl'ers. I have a bit of it in me as well I guess- I am horrible at following instructions- but just like to look at something and the supposed final project and figure out how to get there- my brain doesn't process the instructions in-between. We have always been amazed at his ability to figure out different locks and him wanting to take things apart-his father is extremely mechanical and can figure out anything- I guess it all makes sense now and it is just so dang interesting- it all falls in line as well w/ my mommy instinct that he does not need to be in public school- he would be a target of way too many labels. It also makes me aware that I need to try even harder to not judge or compare as he will pick up on things when he is ready and it may be in a different order than others.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#25 of 95 Old 03-29-2009, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Mine is 2E and tested high for some things last year when he'd turned 4yo. He CRAVES information and he likes more structure in how he works than I do, but I like structure in my planning. I've used this year with him at home to kind of undo the last 2 years of preschool/daycare (he was special needs and part of this was believed to be necessary to help him--looking back, I'm not positive it was or wasn't).

So I took this year to figure out how we can "do" homeschooling and satisfy both his and my personalities and work-styles without being too "schooly" (which he's "into" but I just need to find a way that it can work for ME).

I'm just now kind of getting into the swing of things. He turned 5yo in January and we've intermittently done Saxon K math and I've been intermittently looking at the Core Knowledge stuff. But now I really feel moved to do stuff. We've spent this year doing mostly some enrichment classes (swimming, arts, play-based drama, regular park play-date) and less academics--but he reads like a fiend (last year tested at 2nd grade comprehension & 4th grade decoding) and WANTS to learn. Friday he was outside barefoot with the fireplace shovel "digging for limestone" after reading a Magic Schoolbus book on the Earth's core. So I'm following the child and trying to get my act together to do so.

I implemented one of the variations of the workbox system (see the "flexible structure" thread on here) today and ds ATE. IT. UP. He is already doing tomorrow's work and threw my out of the "classroom" (our playroom).

So now, I can satisfy my "planner" needs and direct his play a bit better but still leave him alone to do things as he feels he wants to. I like ALL of that.

I also like that I can put my prepared materials in the "Work with Mommy" drawers so that *I* have the stuff *I* need when I catch 10 minutes to work with him. I'm just really loving the whole thing.

I even went out and bought a laminating machine yesterday. And already used it (how did I live without this?).

So I'm going to continue to follow Core Knowledge's K curriculum for now. I'm making peace with ds being totally not into unit studies. I'm also building a "keep on hand" binder so that when stuff comes up, we can delve deeper into it. Ds isn't a lapbooking kid (another for me) so I need to dig up some activities on a few topics--resources if nothing else.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#26 of 95 Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM

We are! DD turns 5 in September. I plan on playful learning. I guess I mean a fun atmosphere with a curriculum.

DD is already in the "blending phase" of reading, so we will go through Alpha-Phonics for reading instruction, as well as Bob Books for extra practice. I also made a homemade flip phonics book kinda like this one: Phonics Modular Flip Chart. I made it with spiral bound notecards & wrote vowels in the middle tabs & consonants & consonant blends/digraphs on either side.

Math...I had previously thought Horizons Math K, but instead have opted to teach what she'll need to know to begin 1st grade math just with hands on activities. I printed off the pre-test for Horizons 1st grade math & will just make sure she learns those concepts with the help of books like Games for Math by Peggy Kaye, Family Math for Young Children, The Three R's by Ruth Beechick, etc.

For science we like More Mudpies to Magnets and science videos. Also, dd likes to learn about different animals with books from the library.

Oh yes, and we will be working on handwriting-just being able to write numbers & letters-slowly & gently as dd doesn't like writing so much.

Other subjects will be done with real-life experiences. DD loves music so that's easy & "social studies" is simple, imo.

Finally, LOTS of read-alouds. Right now we are enjoying Little House in the Big Woods together.
#27 of 95 Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 PM

My second child will start K this fall...

We've been homeschooling for a while (she has an older sister) but now she is more interested and I'll want to make sure I give her more individualized attention.
#28 of 95 Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 PM

DS#1 turned 5 earlier this month and we are starting kindy this summer. I am using My Father's World cirriculum and also veritas phonics museum. Right now we do alot of computer work and work books that we have gotten at the store like mazes and hidden pictures with a little about the alphabet and numbers mixed in.

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#29 of 95 Old 04-01-2009, 02:21 AM

Me, me! DD will turn 5 next month. I guess the way I have things planned puts us squarely in the eclectic camp. I got the Spell to Write and Read curriculum for reading, but DD currently hates writing anything other than what she wants to write, so I'm looking at adapting it for now, until she feels like writing. For science, we'll use the Building Foundations... book by Nebel. She's REALLY into biology, so we may also get the Noeo Biology 1, but I'm not sure. I'll have to see how interesting the Nebel book looks first. For math we're using Professor B. And I'm ordering the Community package from the 6-8 level of Moving Beyond the Page. That should cover social studies. I also have the What Your Kindergartener...book, which I'll be pulling stuff from. I'm ordering the Pfeiffer House music curriculum, because I want DD to have some music instruction and she's not disciplined enough to take music lessons yet. lol For art I'm using the art prints from Core Knowledge and a cheap book I got for teaching the very basics of art to kids. DD just started taking a Spanish class, which I know will last until at least the fall, hopefully longer. In the fall she'll start a weekly P.E. class for homeschoolers at the YMCA and a weekly science lab for homeschoolers at a local museum. She'll also either do soccer or gymnastics, but she hasn't decided which yet.

It looks to me like a lot of curriculum all typed out, but it's really not. It's just so we have stuf to choose from without me having to come up with all the plans. DH nixed unschooling and after hearing him out and thinking on it more, I agree with him for our kid, so I'm going to need this stuff. I think it'll all be pretty relaxed, though. DD is not the kind of kid you can coerce into doing anything anyway. lol
#30 of 95 Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM

My dd who turned five this past Nov will begin K this fall as well. I am most likely going to homeschool her. She is at the beginning stage of reading. We practice blending and she can do most of the Bob books in the first set. We'd be further along in this expect we aren't consistent with it yet and I don't want to "push" her too much right now. I think in the fall I'll do a bit more structure b/c I think we both will need it for the first year or so.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page