Singapore math questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into the Singapore math and have no idea what to get. Is there really that much of a difference in the US edition and the Cali. Standards editions? I don't know which to order. Any ideas? I am looking at starting the 1A books. Although I'm not really sure this is where we need to start. We have been using Math Mammoth and are about half way through the first grade level. It is too much repitition for my DS. He told me he thinks that I think he is stupid because of the repitition of MM. I am waiting on the free math assessment from Let's Go Learn through the homeschool buyer's co-op, so we will see what that shows. We also have the Right Start Math level b and I have really been trying to get started with that again, but I don't think we like it. He gets really defensive if he thinks the work is too easy and "babyish" for him. The first several lessons of RS is very easy things for him so it is hard to get enough cooperation to get past those.

Amanda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM

The Singapore Math website has a placement test you can download. For non-CA residents, I think the USA edition is the place to start. We started with 2a and 2b based on the placement test. (The placement test is also fun for adults -they have it up to 12th grade - it is tough.)

You can also call them and they will provide good advice.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:13 AM

We also used the placement test to figure out where dd should start. I decided on the standards edition because the website said that it had more in it. I also think that they are discontinuing the US edition in favor of the standards (check out their website in case I'm mistaken).

We've been really happy with it. I just wish that the shipping wasn't so much :-)

homeschooling mamma to dd1 7/01 , dd2 5/05, and '00, '04, '07, 6/09, 12/09
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM

I am using the standards edition as well. We are in the K level though. I saw a huge difference between the K level of the US edition and the K level of the standards edition. The Standards one is so much better. I didnt compair the US and Standards at the 1 level though.

CuckooMamma- I get my singapore at RR with all the my other purchases and just make sure that I need enough to get their free shipping.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

I am also leaning towards the Standards edition because it has more in it. Do I need the textbook, workbook and the intensive practice book (and/or the challenging word problem book)? How are the textbook and workbooks different or how are they used?

Also, do any of you use Miquon to supplement Singapore? I see that recommended alot, but I'm not quite sure why. Do you feel it needs supplementing?

Thanks for the help!

Amanda
Old 04-04-2009, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a placement test for 1A. I suggest trying it. Things are done by mastery too, so if he has not mastered everything, then he will not have it retaught later, so don't think because he got 70% right, it is ok to move on.

I will say that when I gave the placement exam to my first child, she was just out of 2nd grade public school, she needed only 1 thing from the 2A book or she would have been done with that level. So, I taught it on my own. Then started her in 2B. She went through the entire series.

I cannot tell you which one I suggest. I have been using US Edition and the Standards series is newer than when I started homeschooling. In fact, the US Edition was new to the market when I started and lots of people were still using the 3rd edition. I think you can pick whichever one you like and go with it and it won't matter in the long run.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
I am using the standards edition as well. We are in the K level though. I saw a huge difference between the K level of the US edition and the K level of the standards edition. The Standards one is so much better. I didnt compair the US and Standards at the 1 level though.

CuckooMamma- I get my singapore at RR with all the my other purchases and just make sure that I need enough to get their free shipping.
The reason the Standards edition would have been better for kindergarten is because Singapore does not really have the Kindergarten so that was written just for the US market. The kinder does not at all reflect on the levels 1 and up. I will say that at Rainbow Resourse, they highly recommended staying with the US Edition. I spoke to Janice there. But I think either would be fine, whatever you are comfy with. But I do think the further away from the original version (US edition is very close to the original version with mostly just name changes, currency changes, and a few extra lessons added in some books) the less it is truely the Singapore Math that got its rep, having people in the highest test scores in the world. The Standards edition was US written to fit US standards. The US has never had the best standards and consistently ranked at the lowest in math on internationally tests. So, you can take that for whatever you want. Some say the Standards edition still keeps with the Singapore way, but it devotes way less time to it as it is spread to thin adding in all the extra, unneccesary, superficial topics of typical US books.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post
The reason the Standards edition would have been better for kindergarten is because Singapore does not really have the Kindergarten so that was written just for the US market.
Singapore has 2 years of Kindergarten. The original US edition of EarlyBird Math was based on that written for the Singapore market, which was not part of the Primary Maths series. IMHO, the Earlybird Standards Edition is far superior to the US Edition. All pages are in colour and there are many more activities.

Quote:
The Standards edition was US written to fit US standards. The US has never had the best standards and consistently ranked at the lowest in math on internationally tests. So, you can take that for whatever you want. Some say the Standards edition still keeps with the Singapore way, but it devotes way less time to it as it is spread to thin adding in all the extra, unneccesary, superficial topics of typical US books.
This isn't the case. The Standards Edition rearranges some topics relative to the US Edition and adds a very few back in. The topics added in are among those removed from the Singapore 2nd Edition Primary Maths in the 3rd Edition (which the US Edition is based on) and include negative numbers, co-ordinate graphing, and some basic probability. It's all right here in the US publisher's FAQ.

Excerpt:
  1. Is the Standards Edition of Primary Math "dumbed down" compared to the US or third edition?
    No, it is not. It does meet the math requirements per grade level for California, and so some topics were added and rearranged, but it maintains the integrity of the Primary Mathematics curriculum. Most of the content is the same as in the US edition and thus the third edition of Primary Mathematics, and some content was added in from the second edition of Primary Mathematics. In fact, it is probably in places a bit more challenging than the US edition because of the addition of material from the second edition of Primary Mathematics. This is one series that has not followed the trend of decreasing challenge with each new edition! Some topics were added, which could lead to concern that it is becoming "mile wide and inch deep" but the additions are fairly minimal. Some of the additions were simply made in order to be more explicit on material that was already in the curriculum, or to cover some of the same material at more grade levels. For example, some content that was repeated between grade levels was removed in going from the second edition to the third edition to create a "reduced content" edition. It is now back in the Standards edition, such as a review of equivalent fractions now in 4A, or the connection between division and fractions now in both 4A and 5A.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 AM

I have to agree witht the pp, my impression was that the Standards contains more info than the US Edition. I never got the impression from the Singapore Math people or from using the books (we've covered through 4b) that there's any extraneous baloney in the books.

We use the textbook and the workbook. I almost never use the text and just work from the workbook. Recently I've had dd reading through the text (a few brightly colored pages) on her own before asking her to work on the workbook pages. She's very strong in math, so it may be unique to her that she needs the text so little. I know others who just use the text and its practice questions and use the workbook very little.

I had purchased additional test books and never used them. I don't believe in drills, but had to figure that out along the way. If she ends up needing more practice on something, then I'd consider buying additional practice books. I find that they already have lots of word problems so haven't purchased an additional book of those.

The text is colorful and fun, the workbook is b&w. There are puzzles to work out which keeps things from becoming too monotonous. They've said that they'll be coming out with a color workbook, but I don't remember when.

Something that wasn't asked but I want to throw in is buying the HIG. I never purchased this as I felt that since I was strong in math and dd seemed to learn things easily that I didn't need to spend the extra $$. However, I wish that I had. We haven't used the manipulatives very much because it didn't seem necessary for dd to understand the concepts. As we go higher in the levels, I find that I need to go back and do some of the manipulative work that we skipped.

DD2 is in the K level, but I will be trying out the HIGs with her.

We haven't supplemented with anything.

Thanks for the tip about RR and shipping :-)

homeschooling mamma to dd1 7/01 , dd2 5/05, and '00, '04, '07, 6/09, 12/09

User Tag List