So many books!! What to do with them?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
J2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS has SO many books! They are overflowing off his small bookshelf.

Should I do a book rotation?

What do you do when you have TONS of books?

Its too many really for him to enjoy choosing a book so he kind of randomly chooses one. (He's 3.)

Any ideas?
#2 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 PM

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50081744

#3 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Too many books??? No such thing! J/K of course! We have hundreds of books for the kids. I buy them at library sales, garage sales, and thrift stores. We give them for every occasion, holiday and just for the heck of it. If you really don't want them, I'd donate them to the library if they will accept them, otherwise to the thrift store or an elementary school or daycare that needs them. Really though, I don't think too many books is a problem and randomly choosing them is what my kids do, I don't see what is wrong with that?
#4 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 PM

another bookself.

we have them in the bedrooms (theirs and mine)

we have a basket of them on the loft

we have some in the kitchen

more in the car

there is always room for more.

Theodore is 4 months past 3, and CAP is 17 months ..... I do go thought adn change the ones that are in my bedroom (Theo looks at them a lot while CAP is still asleep) .... i also go though and when i clean up the books i pull out ones we don't reald a lot and stack them out so that I can be sure i pull them out to read.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 PM

I'd organize them into a small library and pull a few display books - favorites, seasonal, great stories or pictures.. Keep the rest on the bookcase and let him get familiar with them 5 or so at a time.
#6 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Just do what I do, keep adding bookshelves until you are literally surrounded by them, LOL. We have so many bookshelves in my house and we are adding them all the time. A love of books is a beautiful thing and making sure that they are surrounded by them will encourage that. We give them books for all holidays, we "buy" their Halloween candy off of them with books, when we are going on a trip we buy them new books to take, etc etc etc. I buy them at library sales, second hand stores, book stores, yard sales, wherever I can find them.

It's a good predicament to have.
#7 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 PM

We have this problem, too. It's really not a bad problem to have
I have friends who do not have any books, or very few books, in their houses. That is a very serious problem imo. Of course they're not homeschoolers. Lots of homeschoolers have this book problem. Homeschooling and too many books must go together.
Do we homeschool because we love books? Or do we love books because we homeschool?
#8 of 22 Old 04-03-2009, 11:19 PM

i have the same issue. we LOVE all of our books. i definitely get rid of curriculum, textbooks, etc. things we can sell or give away....but we have so many wonderful books that i want to always keep and treasure. i'm trying to do what lilygrace suggested & organize them in a manner that allows me to actually find and use our books as needed. sometimes we are studying something (for example, we watched a video on snakes yeterday), and then i had dig through books for an hour trying to find all of the cool books that tie into the topic of interest. it will be so much easier when i know what we have and where to find it!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#9 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 01:23 AM

I did end up splitting our books into 4 sets that I rotate. I like it and so do the boys. Every time I rotate we get to explore them again like they're new. I've been doing it this way for a couple of years now and it's still fun. The boys get so excited on rotation day!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#10 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 08:22 AM

I bought one of those facing bookshelves from scholastic and I rotate books on and off there every few months since they are the most accessible. All the other books are on several bookshelves throughout our home. I probably have over 1000 kids books alone and much to my husbands dismay I have the attitude that you can never have too many books <snort>...just too few bookshelves

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#11 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
I did end up splitting our books into 4 sets that I rotate. I like it and so do the boys. Every time I rotate we get to explore them again like they're new. I've been doing it this way for a couple of years now and it's still fun. The boys get so excited on rotation day!
We don't have an IKEA around here so I'm interested in this. How often do you rotate? How do you decide what to put in which box? That might sound neurotic, but our books are family!!!!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#12 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 AM

We also live in a house overflowing with books. Like a pp said, they're in boxes, bins, baskets in every room. One place I like having some is in a big under-the-bed sweater bin, with the lid off. I put some sturdy books that I think that child might particularly like (it's not the place for books that are old with loose bindings or ones that are special from grandma etc. OR both kids fav read-alouds) and that way there is always an easily accessible bunch of books to look at during quiet time.

I also don't do much rotating - they'd catch me on it, for sure, since they're older - but I do put away the season/holiday books and bring them out. Christmas/winter books; Fall/Halloween & Thanksgiving books; Spring & Summer books/Easter. That makes the holiday books extra-special.

gardening : SAHM to ballerina (6/15/02) and son (5/18/05) still for my husband. Independent Childbirth Educator
#13 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Oh books, I love them

My daughter is 20 months, but I've been scouring thrift shops/book sales/bargain bin at Barnes and Noble and so on forever to collect books we can use in the future. I got Natures Encyclopedia the other day for $2 shipped!

Anyway, I notice with a lot of her kid kid books - like board books or pop ups that she doesn't go for anymore, I donate. I give them to families in need, or I make a Craigslist ad and have someone get them. For the other books I just look at Garage Sales for more bookshelves! We have books EVERYWHERE and it drives my husband mad sometimes, but I could care less!

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#14 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM

I plan on getting something like this for the kids' playroom when we move:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search

so I can rotate more seasonal/holiday books in it, also as a place to put library books - anything I want them to really see and have access to. Sturdy, board-type books can go in the bins underneath so they can pull the bins out and drag them around wherever. Not that they won't have access to the rest of their books, but they'll be in standard bookshelves. I also saw someone do something similar just using window box planters that they mounted on a wall inside their home, so they can have the books facing out and easier for little ones to see. It's hard to choose a book when all you can see is the spine and you can't read! The covers are more attention-grabbing.

I also keep quieter, nap- and night-time books in their rooms, the real favorites that they want read over and over again, next to their beds. Holiday books get put away shortly after the holiday, winter books go away when we're gearing up for spring, etc. They just get put on a higher, less accessible shelf in order to make room for the next holiday/season.

I love books!
#15 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell View Post
I have the attitude that you can never have too many books <snort>...just too few bookshelves
:

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#16 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Me too! Of course, if the girls want a specific book, I will go find it. Also, I installed a rain gutter below Maya's window in her room. This is a cheap way to display books forward facing. We also have bins for picture books, shelves for chapter books. But, my 3 yr old almost always selects from the rain gutter shelf.

I only rotate the picture books. I do it seasonally (March, June, Sept. & Dec). I like the books about winter out in the winter, etc. All the extra books are in bins in a closet. Technically they are still available, but out of sight is kinda out of mind at our house. So, last March, I pulled out the stuff about spring or wind or rain, planting gardens, etc as well as some of my favorites. In June, some of these will stay, and some will go back. I have weeded my collection occasionally.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#17 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 07:41 PM

we don't roate as i fear missing time with a book since thebooks we are reading now, many of them we will out grow soon anyway (Moo Baa la La La for example...I love it but as the boys grwo, it just is not gonna be the right level you know) so i do not want to box up a book for even a few months since it has a limited time span anyway -- at least that is where we are now.

I will box then as we out gorw then and save them

Mom and Dad just brough 7 banker boxes to me of my books when when i was little. now only about 1/2 a box was added to the shelves for the boys. the rest are too old. Some i did add to the "momma reading time bookslef" we have 3 shelves of books that we read together .. but that the boys can not reach (in addition to all my and Dh's books that are up higher -- these are their books) .. nice fairy tale books, books of mine whn i was little, the Dr S collection, and so on ....

The one thing we do is holiday books go into the decoration boxes with the decorations. thus the Halloween books come out at mid Sept, the Christmas come out the weekend after Thanksgiving and so on .....

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#18 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 PM

A fellow home school mom blogger I follow avidly has the BEST sorting system for her books...I am itching to get to IKEA to pick up some of these cheap mag files:
Here is her post that explains her method...LOVE it!
http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.c...k-storage.html

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#19 of 22 Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
We don't have an IKEA around here so I'm interested in this. How often do you rotate? How do you decide what to put in which box? That might sound neurotic, but our books are family!!!!
What I did was put all the books into "like" stacks. So all the books by a particular author were in their own stack--all the Lobel books here and the Jan Brett books there and etc. Then others into categories that made sense to me--books that were mostly pictures there, books about trains, books having to do with nature....whatever made sense. Once I had all my stacks I split them into groups of four. So two Lobel per stack, two Suess per stack, one train book, one mostly pictures, two rhyming books, two classics, etc. I don't think I really needed to be that neurotic though. And once I finished I've added books over time without much thought. It doesn't seem to really matter as we get to see them all in time anyway.

As far as when I rotate. I originally divided into four with a couple of thoughts in mind. One was that I would rotate weekly. As it turns out though I keep the books out until it feels right to rotate. If the luster is dying down I rotate. Then the "new" books come out. It really is fun. I wish I could describe adequately but my kids are always so excited when we rotate. And then they spend a long time pouring over the set and exploring all their favorites again. It's really been a good thing. We don't miss books generally though because I keep them accessible and easy to rotate...they aren't in an attic but rather in my son's closet. They aren't away long enough to outgrow something but if I felt that was a concern I would have kept whatever books I felt that way about out of the rotation.

Like AAK said if my kids mention a book I just go get it. One is really into the Mercy Pig series right now so we have the whole set out. When his interest quiets again I'll just split them back into groups of four. Similarly, sometimes they want to keep something out on rotation day and if so we do that. There are some favorite books we keep out all the time.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#20 of 22 Old 04-05-2009, 10:33 AM
vaw

We pretty much have a wall of bookcases in each room. . . . each bedroom, the living room, the guest room, the playroom. . . .

I prefer the target cube cases for the kid books (and my novels)

I would show a pic of his room, if I knew how to link a picture!

The only rotation we do would be as he outgrows books - like board books, I am replacing them with chapter books. He is the one making the decision if he doesn't want the book anymore. We have been donating the books.
(If I thought I would have more kids, I would box up and keep the books)

ETA

We use each cube as a 'sorting' area, so we have life science, earth science, math, historical, musical, cultural, fiction, non fiction, chapter vs picture, etc
#21 of 22 Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM

Does anyone know if there is an organization that collects used board books and donates them to hospital waiting rooms or anything like that?

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
#22 of 22 Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Get more shelves!! For the books DD has either really outgrown or has little interest in, we go through a process I like to call "keep or give". We basically go through each of her books and I ask her if she wants to keep the book or give it to someone else. We don't rotate them and we have bookshelves in several different rooms. We also don't sort them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page