Story of the World anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 04-05-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone using The Story of the World? What do you like/not like? I am thinking this will work for both reading and history/social studies. From what I've seen if it, it looks great.
#2 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 07:02 AM

We used it this year for 1st grade and really like it!

I learned more about the ancients from this one book than I did my entire school career, lol.

My son loves to hear the stories, and I love to read them to him. After you read each chapter, you go to the activity guide for the review questions, narration exercises, a map worksheet, and a coloring page. In addition, there are several project ideas (build your own pyramid from clay, make a mask, cook a meal, etc. pertaining to that subject...) and plenty of suggested additional reading resources.

Check your library - ours carries all 4 books, but obviously not the activity guide. They don't have the audiobooks, either. *snap* Those are on my wishlist.

My son loves history, because it's fun and interesting now.
#3 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 AM

We read from it from time to time. DD likes the stories as well and will ask for it. We have an activity book, but haven't used it.
#4 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 12:34 PM

We used the Ancients book. I felt like some of the stories were a bit dry and so we stopped after the first book. I know alot of families really like it but it just wasn't a good fit for us. The activity book is nice but I just didn't enjoy snuggling up in bed with my kiddies and reading the stories from the book to them, they were never really excited about it either.
#5 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM

double post, sorry
#6 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 PM

We loved SOTW. We didn't do the activities in activity book 1, but I did purchase the Volume 2 activity book anyway because the recommended book lists are so useful.

My DS is back in public school this year, but he continued to request that I read to him from the SOTW books, so we continued along in them.

Along with the reading, we made a timeline on a roll of easel paper and have been adding to it as we read (or now, as DS learns history in public school).

We are only on Volume 2 - can't comment on 3 or 4 - but I assume we'll be reading them next.

Now, what I wish for is a reading list of adult fiction to read along with the SOTW chapters. I learn so much while rading to DS and really benefit from reading fiction along with the facts to really paint a picture in my head of what life was like.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#7 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM

In case anyone can add to this list, here is the request I posted last year, but I didn't get much of a response:

__________________________________________________ ______

I enjoy reading historical fiction along with non-fiction. I really helps me understand a period better if I get a good image in my mind of what day to day life was like. So as I've been covering SOTW Vol. 1 with DS, I've been trying to find good books to read set in ancient times. Does anyone else do this?

Can you recommend other good books set during this time period?

I would especially like to read novels set in ancient India, China, and the Americas, if anyone can recommend something good.

Chapter 1. The Earliest People:
Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel

Chapter 6. The Jewish People
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Chapter 28. The Roman Empire
Pompeii by Robert Harris (vivid descriptions of the aqueducts)

Chapter 40. Rome Begins to Weaken
Medicus : A Novel of the Roman Empire by Ruth Downie (murder mystery set in Britannia)

I read half of Roma: The Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven Saylor, but I just didn't care for the book.

I am planning to read Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough, but haven't done so yet.

I also rented the Rome series from Blockbuster - it was quite good! I am disappointed they cancelled the series.

Tanya
#8 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 01:15 PM

We're on book 3 right now. I like it, but I wish there was a little bit more flexibility, or had 3-4 chapters less in each volume. We end up skipping that many due to stretching out other ones or trying to make it fit our year and the opening to each chapter assumes the child read the last few.

I think after we finish the fourth book and start our second time we're simply going to use the idea of the book lists included and skip the SOTW texts, building more of a curriculum on the literature and works of the times along with more recent non-fictions.
#9 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM

We are using it and love it. The kids are really enjoying it also. I reccomend getting the activity book along with it.
#10 of 41 Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 PM

I was thinking the same thing. We're starting SOTW next fall too. I did check out Susan Wise Bauers other book, History of the Ancient World, from the library. I highly recommend Colleen McColloughs entire series and just learned she has a book about Troy as well. I wish I could find other historical-fiction as good as that series. Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post
In case anyone can add to this list, here is the request I posted last year, but I didn't get much of a response:

I enjoy reading historical fiction along with non-fiction. I really helps me understand a period better if I get a good image in my mind of what day to day life was like. So as I've been covering SOTW Vol. 1 with DS, I've been trying to find good books to read set in ancient times. Does anyone else do this?

I would especially like to read novels set in ancient India, China, and the Americas, if anyone can recommend something good.

Medicus : A Novel of the Roman Empire by Ruth Downie (murder mystery set in Britannia)

I read half of Roma: The Novel of Ancient Rome by Steven Saylor, but I just didn't care for the book.

I am planning to read Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough, but haven't done so yet.

I also rented the Rome series from Blockbuster - it was quite good! I am disappointed they cancelled the series.
#11 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM

We are doing the first book here with DS 6 and he loves it. My wish is that there was a list of good videos and films to go along with the chapters. We pair SOTW with the Usborne internet linked World History, and spend a lot of time looking on Netflix and Youtube for interesting movies.
Anyway, the thing we really love about SOTW is that it is so narrative. I don't present it as the only view of history, but it is sure a good read-aloud book! DS loves history because of SOTW! (and we're very secular HSers, so I occasionally have to work around some of the Christian bias, but it's not a big deal).
#12 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 AM

I'm sorry to hijack for a second but I saw this book at the store the other day and it looked very advanced for a Kindergartener (volume 1) did I just totally miss something? It is possible I messed up volume wise but it had very few pictures and looked as though the layout was for MUCH older kids. Am I off my rocker lol?
#13 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM

Volume One is for a first grader, not a kindergartner.

Warmly,
Carrie
#14 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 AM

Thanks for this thread. We will be starting SOTW in September with my son. He will be 6, then. I keep seeing other curriculum and waivering about my decision. I'm glad to hear so many other families really like it!

Jennifer :, blessed wife to 4/00 and joyful mother of 6/03, 2/06 and 3/10.
#15 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 AM

We did SOTW 1 this past year. DD will be 5 in May. She LOVED it. I don't think she "got" everything but there is somuch in there, I'm not sure I got everything. I look so forward to doing this again in a few years and seeing how much richer it will get as we all age.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#16 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM

We are reading SOTW book 1 and really enjoying it. Our local homeschool group has a SOTW club - we meet every other week and do an activity related to a chapter so we are on a slow and steady pace of 2 chapters a month. My kids love it and they are 6 and 4. We check out related books from the library so even after we have read the short chapter we have reinforcement to read at our leisure.
#17 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 PM

we like to listen to SOTW on CD and do the activity pages. my kids don't enjoy when iread the book though at all. the CD is much better for us. hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#18 of 41 Old 04-10-2009, 08:27 PM

Here you go, these may help:
http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forum...fiction&page=5
http://www.bookmarksmagazine.com/sub...orical-fiction

If you come up with a list organized by chapter, be sure to post it, maybe we can have an online discussion! I'm really looking forward to starting Volume 1 with our local group this fall. I'm tempted to start right away, but think I better wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post

#19 of 41 Old 04-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Teensy and ShanaT- you rock!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#20 of 41 Old 04-11-2009, 03:44 AM

DD loves me to read to her from SOTW. Sometimes she'll ask for it. Sometimes she'll comment that she can't wait to hear "what happens next". I didn't think she would find the writing style all that appealing, but so far she's loving it.
#21 of 41 Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 AM

There is an MDC mama who has a blog pretty much all about SOTW. I think her nickname is Ahdoula but I'm not sure of the spelling.

http://runofthemillfamily.blogspot.c...ory%20projects
#22 of 41 Old 04-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Shana T - Those links are great! I'm going to have to amend my list and head to the library!

Thanks so much!

Tanya
#23 of 41 Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM

We love it. My son really enjoys it. We are just finishing the first volume, without the activity book. We are starting the second volume with the activities (just the simple ones, because he's still so young). I'm really excited about starting it.
The only thing I don't love is that it is written from a Christian perspective. While all the other mythologies are presented as such, the Bible stories are presented as fact. We simply discussed that different cultures have different religious beliefs, and this is the belief of the author, but not our belief.
Overall the presentation is thorough, entertaining and very balanced.
#24 of 41 Old 04-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyhobbit View Post
We love it. My son really enjoys it. We are just finishing the first volume, without the activity book. We are starting the second volume with the activities (just the simple ones, because he's still so young). I'm really excited about starting it.
The only thing I don't love is that it is written from a Christian perspective. While all the other mythologies are presented as such, the Bible stories are presented as fact. We simply discussed that different cultures have different religious beliefs, and this is the belief of the author, but not our belief.
Overall the presentation is thorough, entertaining and very balanced.
There is a lot of debate on SOTW being Christian or not. I have 2 Atheist friends who love it and use it and say they don't see a Christian slant at all. If you search it online you'll find that the Christian HSers find it *very* secular while the secular homeschoolers view it having a Chrisitian slant

I can't wait to get my hands on it to see what all the talk is about, personally.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#25 of 41 Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Is story of the world christian or secular? I doesn't say it's religious, but when I google it, it shows up on christian sites a lot.
#26 of 41 Old 04-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobymummy View Post
Is story of the world christian or secular? I doesn't say it's religious, but when I google it, it shows up on christian sites a lot.
See above posts.

It depends on who you ask I have found.

From what I can gather (haven't read it yet) SOTW teaches through story and myth of the time and the area. Some say that when it handles Christian elements (Abraham, Christ, etc) it has more of a slant and teaches it as factual. Others say they handle these Christian elements evenly with the other myths/stories. Some Christian sites say it is secular or at least that is what I read from the vast majority of the Christian sites that came up when I googled. One of the reasons so many Christian sites come up is because it is homeschool and Christian and homeschooling seem to go together like peas and carrots on the interweb. I can't google anything homeschool related without a whole bunch of Christian sites poping up.

So again, depends on who you ask.

#27 of 41 Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 AM

re: SOTW being secular or Christian

#28 of 41 Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
thanks

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#29 of 41 Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was pretty much turned of SOTW from the first chapter with the "nomads." As a student of anthropology I found the story incredibly unsatisfying in its viewpoint, biases, and classificatory terms (I don't think it's unreasonable to teach first graders about hunting/gathering, pastoral, and agricultural lifeways) Ditto with the treatment of Biblical stories as history.

The only "spine" I intend to use for History is a timeline to hang things on. We'll learn from diverse sources (think library books) rather than relying on a single narrative.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#30 of 41 Old 04-13-2009, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I love, love SOTW & wish I had discovered it much earlier. We only started it this year, we're doing volume 2, my son's in 5th grade. So much of our whole school work week is based on the activity guide. I get every recommended book from the library, I LOVE having nice tidy book lists to go off of & put all of them on hold online at our local library.

Since my son is already so old, I'm thinking that we might skip ahead to volume 4 next year, since he's not had any education about modern history much at all so far. Then we'll start History Odyssey in 7th grade. But I'm collecting all the SOTW books, activity books & test workbooks for all my future little homeschoolers. We'll start in 1st or 2nd grade... I'll see what feels right when the time comes.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page