Singapore Math Questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
US or Standards edition- which do you prefer and why?

Would you/should I buy A and B at the same time or separate (as in 1A and 1B)?

Did you use both A and B in one year or at all?

Is the teacher's manual a must?

Do you think a child who has not done Singapore K understand the 1st grade level work if said child knows basic math (counting, basic addition and subtraction, shapes, etc)?

TIA! :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 03:55 PM

I don't think it is necessary to use Singapore K before starting 1st. We actually began with 3A. I would get the A and B level at the same time. We sometimes found it a nice change of pace to jump over to the 'B' level book for a break. The B level books (levels 3-6) seemed to have a bit more geometry type stuff so that was nice to do if the A level started to seem at all tiresome. In fact we used 5B and 6A and 6B all simulatneously. We liked going from ratios to percentage problems to decimals. It seemed to help her understand how they all relate.

The standards edition was not out when we used Singapore. We used the primary series for 3A and B and the US editions for the rest. The standards editions seem to make the books suitable for CA public schools to use. You might ask what they did to make them up to standards. It might be some different math concepts are covered or it could be they had to change things up to meet diversity requirements. That would actually be kind of funny, because they would probably have to add more English names like word problems with John buying apples, instead of an Asian sounding name buying Asian food. LOL

We are well into secondary math now and found no holes in our dd's math from using Singapore. I'd also look into buying as many of the challenging word problem books as you can. They are going out of print, and it is a shame because they are wonderful. We used them about 6 months to a year behind the standard curriculum.

I have never used or seen the teacher's manuals so I don't know how useful they are. Others who have used them say they contain nice teaching tips and describe the use of manipulatives.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Well, we're finishing up level 1 in US version. We didn't do Singapore K and we've had no problems. I ordered level 2 St Ed to see the difference first hand, but I don't have them yet. If you look on Singapore website, they explain the difference. They really sound very similar, so I think it's largely preference. I did still get the CWP (I got them all because they will be OOP) and the IP books. We love these and will still use them, even though i may need to rearrange the order in which we do topics.

I've also got the HIG. I never use it. Ever. Maybe I should open it to see what it says!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 PM

US or Standards edition- which do you prefer and why?

I prefer the Standards edition, but I really only compared the 2 in the K level. I liked the graphics more in the Standards which helped with some of the problems. Sometimes DD was confused (US edition) because the picture didn't look right, or it was an object that kids in our area wouldn't associate with. I also liked the fact that the Standards edition has more work pages so allowing for skipping if needed, but there if you need to use them all. The activity book also has fun cut outs as well.

Would you/should I buy A and B at the same time or separate (as in 1A and 1B)?

I usually buy both together.

Did you use both A and B in one year or at all?

Because my DD was starting very young, we did K A and only a chapter or 2 of K B in one year. This year we are finishing K B and will be starting 1A probably in Sep.

Is the teacher's manual a must?

Well there isn't one for K, I bought the ones for 1st and 2nd. They have some hands on activities listed and also some things like flashcards, graph paper, dominoes that you can copy. Not a must, but it can be useful.

Do you think a child who has not done Singapore K understand the 1st grade level work if said child knows basic math (counting, basic addition and subtraction, shapes, etc)?

What you have described sounds like what is covered in the KB book. My DD is finishing subtraction right now. There is also calendar, place value, how to tell time to the hour, counting to 100, addition, money, and sequencing. If your DC knows all of that, then 1A may be a better place to start. Singapore's website does have placement tests you could print off.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 AM

I've used both standards and US edition. I choose whichever I can get for a better price. Not that much of a difference.

I buy A and B because I often do things out of order...I sometimes do B before doing some topics in A. More applicable for older kids...my eldest is doing 5a and 5b and we jump around a lot...geometry, decimals whatever.

I don't ever buy the manual. If you have forgotten how to do something or you need to find extra practice on a particular topic you can always find extra worksheets online somewhere.

My son is 5 and has breezed through K...First grade is pretty much along the same line...I think a child who can add, subtract, recognize shapes etc is ready for first grade!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 AM

We have the US edition. I've never been quite clear on the differences. I ordered from My Father's World, and that is what they carry. I also bought their lesson plan booklet. It helps me stay on track.

This is the first unit we've done with Singapore. I haven't needed the teacher's guide for 2A. I may look into that for later units. Math was never my strong suit. Sometimes dh "helps" with math. Trying to teach it just unnerves him, so we should probably get the guide!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 AM

we have the Standards edition for kindergarten but skipped over the first book and went right to the second one.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Many places are not selling the US edition anymore, just the Standard edition. Not a lot of changes in the 2 from what I can tell from asking questions.

You can still get the US ed used and at some places but probably not for long. Don't buy used unless you know you can get all the pieces you need for that level.
Just FYI

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33 View Post
You can still get the US ed used and at some places but probably not for long. Don't buy used unless you know you can get all the pieces you need for that level.
SingaporeMath.com is going to keep publishing the US Edition (in conjunction with Marshall Cavendish) as long as there is sufficient demand. It is available in its entirety at their website.

The Challenging Word Problems books are going out of print, but these are published by a 3rd party, and not in conjunction with the folks at SingaporeMath.com. These are worth picking up, no matter which edition you choose to use.

User Tag List