Anyone thinking about next year? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
oh, plus...i get to look at all summer long and feel familiar with it. hug it and stuff, lol. i love that too.
Oh, that too! I have a mini-stash already in my closet waiting for me. Everytime I get something new in the mail it comes down and I get to purr over it all and see what we still need...LOL

Day after Labor Day I'll arrange it all nice and neat with the schultute in the center and we'll start the day with exploring it all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 PM

I'm sort of new on this forum. I have already ordered my kids curriculum choices for next year.

I also purchased a couple of "extras" on amazon and other sites that I come across, but only used books.

I'm looking forward to some time off this summer as well! : I can't wait to get some down time. We plan to start back to school in late July or early August at the latest and get a head start. I'm pregnant and due in Sept so it should be an interesting fall semester.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM

Next year I'll have a kindergartner and a first grader. I've narrowed down my options... but I keep changing my mind.

Math - Either Rod & Staff, Math Mammoth or Singapore. I.can't.decide. We currently have Miquon, but I'd rather use that as a supplement, because it's driving me nuts.

Language Arts - I'm considering Learning Language Arts through Literature and lots and lots of wonderful books to read together.

Science - No clue. I'm thinking of just getting a big book of experiments and activities for them to do. DD1 is a big science geek, so I don't want to skip it altogether. But, I don't want to burn her out, either. Also, we'll be taking lots of trips to the aquarium and zoo and count it as science. Oh, and I'll probably invest in some Magic School Bus books and videos.

Foreign Language - Continuing with La Clase Divertida for Spanish, but on a more structured schedule.

Social Studies - I'm planning to cover Geography and a little bit of American History using picture books and field trips.

Art & Music - Maybe Artistic Pursuits or Artpacs for visual arts, plus looking through the "Come Look With Me..." series of books with them. For music, I want to take them to concerts of different musical styles and see what clicks with them. I might read some picture book bios of famous artists or composers if I can find some that are geared for younger kids.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:56 PM

Well, we school from Jan-Nov, so we are not starting much new this fall.

We will continue with GTG, Speedy Spanish Primer, A reason for Handwriting K and move on to A, and Childsize Masterpieces in Art.

We will probably have completed Singapore Earlybird and move on to 1A. We will finish Sing, Spell, Read, and Write and then start Learning Language Arts through Lit the Red book.

I already bought my unit study for next year (Jan) as well, we are doing Portraits of American Girlhood which uses the American Girls books. N really loves these books, so I thought it would be a good unit study for us.:
Old 04-28-2009, 05:32 PM

We've had a pretty good year, considering we had a new baby and all. My oldest will be in 4th grade next year, the middle one will be starting preschool, and the baby will be figuring out how to get into everything and developing his smile-and-distract techniques.
I think I've figured out a better organization plan- that's been our biggest challenge this year- DS is ready and able to do most of his schoolwork on his own, but running downstairs to get a supply I've forgotten leads to somehow forgetting to come back upstairs, and waking up to that great big stack of schoolwork on the table is a major motivation to dawdle with everything else. So I'm sewing up muslin bags for each subject, and will buy big baskets this summer, so each kid has his own basket of schoolwork to get through in the order they choose.
And I'm working on incorporating workbooks or textbook type supplies into the curriculum- DS is really into being able to mark progress, and work independently. Here's my list so far- I'm still working on it: 4th Grade.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:50 AM

Absolutely. I'm already ordering next years curriculum, and getting ready to attend a conference in my area. I don't think i ever stop preparing for the next school year. I am always pouring over reference materials and catalogs trying to figure out what to do next.

It's a never ending dilemma for me. :

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

Old 05-03-2009, 02:40 PM

I am so excited for next year! We tried public school this year and it didn't work out (and I must say, I'm really happy about that). I am really looking forward to not being tied down to a public school schedule anymore. I will have a 1st grader, 2nd grader and my dd will be 4...so we will be taking lots of field trips and having lots of fun.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're also thinking about next year. Ds wants to stick with AmblesideOnline. So we're doing:

~ Ambleside Year 2
~ Social Spanish (LiveMocha online & other websites and books)
~ Drawing with Children (Mona Brookes)
~ Math U See (Gamma)

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
Old 05-03-2009, 05:42 PM

I'm starting to look at next year! I'm coming to terms with the fact that Waldorf, Chrlotte Mason, and classical curriculum all equally appeal to me, and I'm not quite sure what to do with that.

Also, I'm now moving into chartered territory! Because we put Michael into public school a few months into first grade (we pulled him out a few months into third) next year is the first year I'll be repeating a grade other than kindergarten. It will be my third time teaching kindergarten, my second time teaching third, and my first time teaching fifth.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 05-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippityskippity View Post
Next year I'll have a kindergartner and a first grader. I've narrowed down my options... but I keep changing my mind.

Math - Either Rod & Staff, Math Mammoth or Singapore. I.can't.decide. We currently have Miquon, but I'd rather use that as a supplement, because it's driving me nuts.

Language Arts - I'm considering Learning Language Arts through Literature and lots and lots of wonderful books to read together.

Science - No clue. I'm thinking of just getting a big book of experiments and activities for them to do. DD1 is a big science geek, so I don't want to skip it altogether. But, I don't want to burn her out, either. Also, we'll be taking lots of trips to the aquarium and zoo and count it as science. Oh, and I'll probably invest in some Magic School Bus books and videos.

Foreign Language - Continuing with La Clase Divertida for Spanish, but on a more structured schedule.

Social Studies - I'm planning to cover Geography and a little bit of American History using picture books and field trips.

Art & Music - Maybe Artistic Pursuits or Artpacs for visual arts, plus looking through the "Come Look With Me..." series of books with them. For music, I want to take them to concerts of different musical styles and see what clicks with them. I might read some picture book bios of famous artists or composers if I can find some that are geared for younger kids.

We're major fans of the Magic Schoolbus here- and I have to say the best place to pick them up is ebay. We got a lot of like 30 of them in mint condition for $35!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 05-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
I'm starting to look at next year! I'm coming to terms with the fact that Waldorf, Chrlotte Mason, and classical curriculum all equally appeal to me, and I'm not quite sure what to do with that.

Also, I'm now moving into chartered territory! Because we put Michael into public school a few months into first grade (we pulled him out a few months into third) next year is the first year I'll be repeating a grade other than kindergarten. It will be my third time teaching kindergarten, my second time teaching third, and my first time teaching fifth.
Well, Charlotte Mason and classical dovetail nicely- CM was a classical educator. I don't know how you'd add Waldorf in, though.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 05-04-2009, 03:26 AM

Funny! I always think of Charlotte Masoon and WAldorf fitting so well together. I hardly ever give CLassical a thought, and yet, there it is! The three fit perfectly well together.
Beautiful!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-aya View Post
Funny! I always think of Charlotte Masoon and WAldorf fitting so well together. I hardly ever give CLassical a thought, and yet, there it is! The three fit perfectly well together.
Beautiful!
We'll see. I sort of feel like I did when I was in college and changed my major 7 times, only to find out in grad school that I could major in early childhood--perfect!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 05-15-2009, 02:00 AM

bump to see if any one else has anythign to add

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 AM

Yes, I'm thinking about 'next' year, but really he would officially start K in the fall if he were to go to public school. I have been doing K work all year so I knew what I was doing. Honestly, I will likely school all year round, taking days off here and there. My reason is because if I want to HS 3 days a week some weeks and 5 others, if I do it all year round, I will easily get in my 180 days.

He is almost finished with K Saxon Phonics and will move on to 1st grade in another 14 lessons. Woohoo! I chose that because the college library has it free for me to check out all year and it works for us.

I really haven't spent too much on curriculum. I use what I can free from the college library and order a few things here and there to supplement, but supplement highly from child led learning and checking out those books at the library. I also find some cheap books that work at a thrift store. Found one good for social studies/culture/family learning for $.59. Seriously! A USBourne book for $.99. You never know the gold you may find at a thrift store.

There are so many free resources online that work, I try to get as much free as I can.

I use amblesideonline and follow CM, and that curriculum is pretty much make it up yourself with lots of books and outside learning.

Good luck.

Vicki
Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
I'm always looking into life a year or two ahead. So, yes. I've started thinking about next year.
: Yep, I already have a game plan mapped out for next year...I am so excited..it almost makes me want to start now and then I realize it's not time yet...but I LOOOOOOOVE planning
I actually just posted about our current schedule and upcoming schedule on my blog...it's been exciting getting everything started and the wheels turning!

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

Old 05-16-2009, 11:37 AM

I basically know what I'm using next year. I'm indecisive about some of the books I want them to read and on history for dd and science for both though. Definitely Shurley Grammar and TT for dd. LFC and SS for Latin (LFC for dd, SS for ds). I have a spreadsheet with a worksheet for curriculum (and cost), a reading list, and a daily schedule. I *heart* spreadsheets because I can change every 8 seconds if need be. Haha!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Does anyone else think curriculum planning is pretty much the BEST part of homeschooling?? I love it!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My main goal this summer is to figure out how to remain flexible but organized enough to not fall into utter chaos. We really have a crazy life right now and I need to make sure learning is not put on the back burner to everything else.

We are continuing to use ClickNKids for phonics/reading and copywork from Donna Young for handwriting and plan to start using Kumon for math.

Their science and history will depend on what we can afford to buy and/or get at the library but so far we have books on fossils and astronomy that we are going to use over the summer. We try to go to the zoo, museum, and gardens several times a year and we also do other field trips and we listen to a lot of history lectures together.

Literature... whatever the kids want to read. Right now I am reading Spiderwick to the girls and my son just finished listening to Dr. Doolittle. We read/listen to a lot of books every year so we are definitely not lacking in this area.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 AM

hi, i've been thinking a lot about the coming school year too. this will be our first year as homeschoolers. i have dd7 who will be in 2nd grade and ds4 who will be 5 by the time we start. i also have a 4month old, looking forward to see how that is going to workout. this is what i'm planning on so far:

for dd7:
-sonlight 2 w/ bible
-math u see alpha
-apologia astronomy w/ notebook
-german (i'm part german)
-maybe artistic pursuits
-gymnastics
-looking into piano lessons
i haven't decided on a language arts program and handwriting program yet for her

for ds5
-get ready to explode the code
-apologia astronomy w/o the notebook
-maybe math u see primer
-maybe artistic pursuits (together w/ dd)
-tumbling
-lots of reading to him
-german
-maybe a handwriting program

that's what i got so far. i'm excited to see how it's gonna play out for us
Old 05-17-2009, 01:19 PM

I'm *always* thinking of the next year, lol. I love the planning part of homeschooling. My boys are still really young so I haven't had much to do, but I still love looking at all the cool stuff we can/will do.

I usually don't start buying stuff until the last minute because I tend to change my mind a lot.

Sara Mama to DS (6) and DS (4)

User Tag List