Anyone thinking about next year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am already thinking about next year, anyone else? Since this was my first attempt at homeschooling, I have learned a lot! Maybe more than the kids. I like the idea of a "new" school year and starting over. I also like the idea of the summer break so I can get more organized this time around. Most of what I started with in January has been changed by now and I think I got a pretty good idea now about what I like/don't like.

I will have a first and a fourth grader next year. I plan on using math mammoth for both of them. I am looking for a curriculum about American History for my fourth grader since she is interested in that. I am also planning on doing Easy Grammar (I think that is what it's called) for both if it comes in a first grade version.

I hope to tie in more field trips and to do more music/art/cooking/etc. now that I am confident in our "core curriculum".

I am very eclectic for the most part, sometimes leaning towards an unschooling desire. Although I know that I am not an unschooler.

What did you like about this year? What do you plan to change?

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#2 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're at a crossroads right now. DS (10yo) is exploring all his options, feeling out the public school scene. Honestly, I'd like him to make a decision SOON so I could start buying curriculum!

This year was fun. I think if we did continue next year it would be another step forward in the responsibility dept for ds. I found a weekly student planner that he would get some use out of, creating his own schedule with him doing most of the work, me as guide. This year, I controlled the writing in the schedule while taking his imput. Next year, the roles would be reversed.
#3 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 03:39 PM

I'd suggest looking into The History of US series for your daughter.

Author, Joy Hakim's website about the books

The History of US on PBS

Lillian

#4 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 03:42 PM

I have already started searching and purchasing used items for next year. This was our first year homeschooling and it has been quite a ride. Overall, I am happy with the curriculum we chose for this year and am continuing with most of it for next year.

We will be sticking with Math-U-See, History Odyssey, and R.E.A.L Science for Kids. We will be changing our Language Arts Program for next year. We used Voyages in English this year. My kids have learned but no one was truly inspired. We will be using Writing Strands and Growing With Grammar. I think. I also like Learning Language Arts Through Literature so I may just combine them all into my own program next year. I am also considering adding Lively Latin.

For next year I would like to add more arts and music appreciation. We had plenty of art this year but music is a weak spot.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#5 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 03:43 PM

I bought a some of our curriculum for next year in February. I started planning before that.
We are going to continue to use Sonlight as our basis and move into Core 3 (Intro to American History, part 1).

We are going to continue on to the next level of Math U See. I'm really pleased with the progress dd has made since starting this program.

Dd wants to learn a musical instrument. We've started on that now.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#6 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM

this is the time of year where i evaluate how the previous year has gone and start making plans/gathering materials for the next year too. we go year round, so we don't really take the summer off, although we do slow down a bunch. our "school year" runs from august to july, so i'm starting to really flesh out our fall plan. i usually break our year into segments and do a min evaluation and adjustment at the end of each segment b/c i never know what pace DD1 is going to move at through whatever i put together for her based on her expressed interests. we've done ancient history this year, so we'll move to the middle ages next year. and she's asked to do chemistry, so i'm working on that. i'm working out the budget, so i know what to hit DH up for in a month or so!

but yes, it's seriously planning season here too.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#7 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 08:07 PM

I'm always looking into life a year or two ahead. So, yes. I've started thinking about next year.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#8 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 PM

yep, in fact I spent most of the day researching various curriculums. We used k-12 (thru our state's virtual academy) which we liked for the most part. However, I dont want to deal with my state's program anymore, very tedious paperwork/uncordinated local program. So we are looking for something else. Looking online and comparing programs as we might do a mix match of various things.
#9 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This year was insane. We switched back and forth between so many different styles and ideas. Started with Enki. Got to be too much work. Then unschooling then my crazy Virgo desire for more structure only to land back at some Eclectic waldorf inspired unschooling-ish thing. I bought a ton of books and I think we are sticking to unschooling from here on out.

Here's some things I have out for the kids to wade through if they want (they made up a list and went through Amazon and the Rainbow resource catalog to pick what they are interested in):

The Private Eye
Story of the World
A Child's History of the World
Horrible Histories (set plus bios & Wicked weather & Murderous Math & Horrible Science)
Boomerang kidsmagazine downloads
Miquon math
Carpentry for kids
OM 3rd grade (for dd who asked for it to do on her own)
Knights & Castles
Geology Rocks
Child Sized Masterpieces
Reading Eggs or Headsprout (still undecided)
tons of computer games
Maybe Rosetta stone
Educational Travel on a shoestring
Karate or Aikido
Family Math
Papaloizos Greek for dd#1 & 2
L'art de l'ire and L'art de dire for all kids
Mango languages-german & french
Explorabook
Handbook of Nature Study
Tom Brown's book of survival for kids
Everyday Waldorf summer and fall
Cooking for all kids, especially oldest dd-Martha Stewart Cooking School
Knitting for kids
Stargazer (DK)
Rock and Fossil Hunter (DK)
Kids Herb Book
In the Three Sister's Garden
Talking to Fireflies and shrinking the moon
a ton of science experiments
Gardening with Green Thumbs
Edible Wild Plants
Lego Crazy Contraptions
Writing strands level 2 and If You're Trying to Teach Kids to Write...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#10 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Major planning here as well. I've re-evaluated some of our educational philosophy so that's thrown a monkey wrench in things because I'd already purchased things.
Right now I'm pretty firmly planning:
Miquon orange and red
McGuffey readers
McGuffey spelling
Cursive First

Other then that I'm so conflicted. We have Galloping the Globe, but I don't know if I want to pull all those resources together. I think we're doing general nature study but I'd love to find a text to guide us.
I think my problem is I read too much. There's always something new and exciting.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#11 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM

I am right there with you theretohere! I read WAAAY too much and end up changing my mind a million times. Sigh. I'm everything from unschooling to classical, to eclectic....and everything in between...depending one the day. I am trying to contain myself from buying anything, besides general interesting books from the book store. It is hard though! Sometimes I wish I could just buy one boxed set and be done with it. But I know myself. I'm not organized enough to follow a set curriculum and I would get bored with it.
#12 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 10:49 PM

I have already started thinking about next year too, and I also have a hard time making up my mind. I always describe myself as a combination of Charlotte Mason and unschooling. Quite a combination, huh? I confuse myself sometimes with it as well. I am looking at doing something totally different for next year and have even considered using the co-ops that In the Hands of a Child offers during the school year.

I also wanted to add that we use Math Mammoth and I REALLY like it, I have to change some things to make me happy but I like it. This year we have been using the Los Banos American History curriculum and loved it. It's free to download and you just have to buy the books to go along with it. Here's the link to it.
#13 of 51 Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
I am right there with you theretohere! I read WAAAY too much and end up changing my mind a million times. Sigh. I'm everything from unschooling to classical, to eclectic....and everything in between...depending one the day. I am trying to contain myself from buying anything, besides general interesting books from the book store. It is hard though! Sometimes I wish I could just buy one boxed set and be done with it. But I know myself. I'm not organized enough to follow a set curriculum and I would get bored with it.
Heh- I have almost exactly the same thoughts! Except I don't worry about unschooling- I know it'd drive DD nuts. :P
I need to step away from homeschoolreviews, that's for darn tootin'.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#14 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 AM

I've been driving myself nuts with options for next year. Ds will be in 2/3 grade, and dd is starting Kindergarten.

About a month ago, it occured to me that ds had never done any writing. So we'll be adding some grammar. I ordered the first book from Growing with Grammar today. My plan is to get through some or most of that before next school year. Then we'll be closer to grade level in the Fall.

I need to order the next set of Singapore Math. Ds is close to finishing 2A. I haven't picked a math curriculum for dd yet. We have RightStart A and all of the manipulatives for that. So we should do that. But it drove me nuts the first time I tried it, so we'll see. . .

I have a phonics book for dd, and a cursive book for ds.

We'll probably keep going with Explode the Code.

I have almost all of the books for all four volumes of FIAR. So I don't have to obsess about that anymore! Hopefully dd will be more interested in that during school time next year. She loves the books for bedtime reading! I may just have to keep it as a bedtime project, then sneak in some FIAR lessons during the day.
#15 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 AM

Alright, well, the kid made the decision to stay home, so here's our tentative 5th grade curriculum that he picked out:

Language Arts: Writing Tales. We were using Writing Strands, but he's been getting more and more frustrated with it. The ability to be that creative is just beyond him right now and he's not liking it at all. I showed him Writing Tales and he flipped for it, more so than anything else we've looked at. We'll probably drop the Editor In Chief supplement, too.

Math: He wants to continue in MUS this year, going on to Epsilon.

Science: Chemistry!!! We're using NOEO as a base, but I found some awesome supplements like an interactive periodic table, build your own elements, and cards breaking down common objects into the elements they're made of. Very cool. He also wants to continue in geology and wants to learn about electricity, so we'll be getting a lot there, too.

History: SotW for our last year.

Foreign Language: Latin's Not So Tough! It was a nice introduction this year and he got really comfortable with the basic alphabet. It's nice to see him interested.

There are a lot of books he wants to read this year, and one I am picking out to make part of our curriculum - The Dangerous Book For Boys. The kid has been trying to make the transition from small child to tween, but he has trouble finding new interests to replace the old other than video games. I think going through a couple of the skills with him in this book will help him see the more that's out there and not feel so lost when computer time is up.
#16 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Not only have I been thinking about it, I have most of it bought!

DD will continue with (modified) Apologia Biology and Teaching Textbooks Math 7 since she hasn't finished either one. She's almost done with Sonlight Brit Lit and I have most of the books for American Lit ready. I didn't get the IG though so I may have to pick that up if I can't find another resource. I have Lifepac civics as well, we are picking and choosing through those workbooks as a way to cover American government which will be supplemented with Lies My Teacher Told Me.

DS is finishing Sonlight Science 3 and I have most of Science 4 ready. He would like TT Math 4 but that will have to wait for now. He is still making his way through Horizons Math 3 as well as several other math workbooks he picked out at WAl~mart and Barnes and Noble. He's been doing Phonics at school but I'll have to take that over next year as they decided they aren't letting homeschoolers use the school resources anymore I'm waiting until his last IEP to get anything though in case they offer some suggestions. He's requested more Holling C. Holling books and more Graphic Novels of classic stories so we'll get those as $ allows.

I am going to try and get both of them to work more with Rosetta Stone Italian since we already have it. DD kind of dropped it and DS never tried it but I think he will like it.
#17 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Major planning here as well. I've re-evaluated some of our educational philosophy so that's thrown a monkey wrench in things because I'd already purchased things.
Right now I'm pretty firmly planning:
Miquon orange and red
McGuffey readers
McGuffey spelling
Cursive First

Other then that I'm so conflicted. We have Galloping the Globe, but I don't know if I want to pull all those resources together. I think we're doing general nature study but I'd love to find a text to guide us.
I think my problem is I read too much. There's always something new and exciting.

ohhhhhhhh yes

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#18 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've already ordered most of our stuff for next year.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#19 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 03:42 PM

i have everything ordered for next year for the most part. i am still thinking about ordering "daily grams" as a grammar program for my dd. i'm undecided though, but i've got plenty of time to make a decision. otherwise - i think i'm good to go. the only other thing i'm *trying* to do is organize our many books by subject/topic - that way we can utilize them in a less random way than we currently do.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#20 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I've ordered a few things already, SOTW Vol 4 and Wordly Wise..... but what I REALLY need to do is sort through my giant wish list on Amazon & narrow down what we will actually have TIME to do!

My son will be in 6th grade next year. He needs more writing skills & critical thinking prompts. I STILL have no idea what we're going to use for the writing skills.... gotta research that some more. :

We do a structured, eclectic thing here, CM inspired.

Next year I'll also have a 4 yr old preschooler so I want to begin trying to figure out how to homeschool more than one kid at a time. So far the idea freaks me out.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#21 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM

I have no plans to stop what we have been doing over the summer - but next fall would have been when DS1 went to 1st grade. I'm in a state that does not require any curriculum or anything else to be turned in, but it's a good idea to have some sort of record keeping going on once your child is seven, in case you are ever "looked into". So next fall I am going to start record keeping for real, and also have a written plan for each subject area for each semester that we will follow very loosely. So I have started researching and writing the plan for the fall and winter. To date, I have not been very organized, and I am looking forward to feeling more organized and keeping track of what we do, what we read, and what he's learning. It's exciting

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#22 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
I've ordered a few things already, SOTW Vol 4 and Wordly Wise..... but what I REALLY need to do is sort through my giant wish list on Amazon & narrow down what we will actually have TIME to do!

My son will be in 6th grade next year. He needs more writing skills & critical thinking prompts. I STILL have no idea what we're going to use for the writing skills.... gotta research that some more. :

We do a structured, eclectic thing here, CM inspired.

Next year I'll also have a 4 yr old preschooler so I want to begin trying to figure out how to homeschool more than one kid at a time. So far the idea freaks me out.
have you looked at Crital Thinking Company (website and catologe) they have some great grammer / writting and EXCELLENT critial thinking / logic stuff

we will be useing a lot of it

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#23 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
I have no plans to stop what we have been doing over the summer - but next fall would have been when DS1 went to 1st grade. I'm in a state that does not require any curriculum or anything else to be turned in, but it's a good idea to have some sort of record keeping going on once your child is seven, in case you are ever "looked into". So next fall I am going to start record keeping for real, and also have a written plan for each subject area for each semester that we will follow very loosely. So I have started researching and writing the plan for the fall and winter. To date, I have not been very organized, and I am looking forward to feeling more organized and keeping track of what we do, what we read, and what he's learning. It's exciting
i keep a log / journal for theo now -- started it when he truned three. it is so fun to make notes and to observe. someday i will give it to him, well his wife when he has kids and it will be fun to look back.

#24 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 PM

I'm definitely thinking about next year.
I've been collecting books little by little for the next 2 years on paperback swap so I'm almost set for this year.

We'll be doing Ambleside Year 3
We're continuing with MUS

We're also continuing with Getting Started with Latin.
I'm adding Ann Voskamps's geography, the book I have is the holy lands.

I also have English for the Thoughtful Child to start.

I'm trying to decide if I want to do Apologia Science along with Ambleside Year 3. We enjoy it but it's a lot and Ambleside does have science especially included in Yr 3.
#25 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM

I'm always thinking about what might be next, but the only thing I've purchased for next year are for earth and space science books.

I do need to get on a more formal language arts program per ds' request. Also thinking about throwing in a little Latin, too.

We are using History Odyssey and NOEO science as a spine for everything except for earth and space, -- so will be covered in those areas for awhile. We're ok with math, I think. We've switched to Miquon and will either go back to Singapore or something else when Miquon runs out. I'll cross that bridge then.

I have to say that I love to look at curriculum, books, learning websites, etc. It's so much fun!

Why are so many of you buying curriculum now for next year? Am I wrong to think that there might be "back to school" sales for HS'ing material closer to the end of summer?

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#26 of 51 Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM

I am a Waldorf homeschooler, and definitely am thinking about second grade for fall for my oldest and Kindy for my youngest. I write my own day by day curriculum so I essentially have an open and go curriculum by fall for my own use, and I am so excited about all the wonderful things in second grade!
We will be doing Cherokee Native American Trickster Tales, lots and lots of math, fables, Saints, lots of animal studies and characteristics and nature stories and science from the natural world (always a big hit around here!), Jataka tales from India, knitting, sewing, hand dyeing with natural dyes, pennywhistle, gardening and more!
It is going to be such a fun year, I am feeling really enthused about it all and all the new skills we will be learning through these blocks! Woo-hoo!

Warmly,
Carrie
#27 of 51 Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 AM

I'm thinking about next year in that I'm excited that by the fall ds1 will be working on first grade subjects and ds2 will be doing kindergarten. Or not. I just love the freedom of a new year. Mainly, I'm looking forward to the back to school sales this summer where I'll stock up on paper, pencils, and art supplies. :

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#28 of 51 Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLoo View Post
Why are so many of you buying curriculum now for next year? Am I wrong to think that there might be "back to school" sales for HS'ing material closer to the end of summer?
I have to allow up to 12 weeks for delivery, especially smaller packages. We don't get mail too frequently here! Most sales I've seen so far are at the beginning of summer, but if I see a good deal in the fall I'll scoop it up...for next year!
#29 of 51 Old 04-28-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
i usually buy used only. this year, i used our tax refund for everything. the price was right when i found it - so i bought it. i find it's easier to buy now then in the summer. that's when everyone is buying and it seems much more difficult to barter & find what i need for the price that i want.

oh, plus...i get to look at all summer long and feel familiar with it. hug it and stuff, lol. i love that too.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#30 of 51 Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:

ACtually I think most of the sales are during convention season which is April-May-June. I also like to go to the convention to order a lot of my curriculum because you often get discounts and free shipping and sometimes you can buy it there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page