The "I don't have the patience to homeschool" argument - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 158 Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runes View Post

Having such self awareness is an admirable quality, and it sounds like you've weighed all of your options. Thus, you are very very different from those who make flippant comments while knowing nothing or next to nothing about homeschooling, have never met homeschooled children before, and have never even considered homeschooling as an option. It is bizarre to me that there are people who make comments like "I don't have the patience to homeschool", when they don't even know what it means. THAT is the frustration that many of us are venting about.

The best comment that I've gotten to date is "Oh, I could never homeschool. My husband thinks homeschooled kids are weird" , and a close runner up goes to "I wouldn't want to homeschool because I want my children to learn that they can make it in this world without me." What would one say to those kinds of remarks?
To all rude questions, I try to just say, "hmm" or "really?" and then let the speaker feel uncomfortable inky complete lack of defensiveness.

The person who most often said she wouldn't have the patience for homeschooling also once told a mutual friend that she felt like a bad mom in my presence because she doesn't like being with her kids as much as I like being with mine. We were great friends before our schooling paths split. Funny enough my response to her was always self-deprecating. Mostly I told her I was way too shy to fight the schools for my kids' benefit the way she did. She really knew how to get the school to respond to her kids' needs.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#152 of 158 Old 05-11-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsMother View Post
I spent some time as a corporate trainer and I had to constantly keep from telling people to figure it out for themselves.
Ah... so you're meant to be an unschooler. :
#153 of 158 Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Ah... so you're meant to be an unschooler. :

That's hilarious!!
#154 of 158 Old 05-11-2009, 11:04 PM

Social experiment:

Today on another board I particpate on, I replied to a question about whether we homeschool or use a bricks and morter school with the line that I homeschool because I don't have the patience to send my kids to public school.
Three people before me answered that they send their kids to public school because they don't have the patience to homeschool. The psers outweigh hsers by about a 5:1 ratio on this board.
Someone now has their panties in a wad that what I said about not having the patience for public school is denegrating to those who put their kids in school.
Not a word was said about the fact that 3 other people used the same line referring to homeschooling.

Interesting eh?

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#155 of 158 Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
Social experiment:

Today on another board I particpate on, I replied to a question about whether we homeschool or use a bricks and morter school with the line that I homeschool because I don't have the patience to send my kids to public school.
Three people before me answered that they send their kids to public school because they don't have the patience to homeschool. The psers outweigh hsers by about a 5:1 ratio on this board.
Someone now has their panties in a wad that what I said about not having the patience for public school is denegrating to those who put their kids in school.
Not a word was said about the fact that 3 other people used the same line referring to homeschooling.

Interesting eh?
Wow!

See? There you go. Nice double standard, huh?

Thanks for engaging in that very interesting and enlightening social experiment!
#156 of 158 Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Social experiment:

Interesting eh?
Heck, yeah, that's interesting! I guess it's partly b/c homeschooling isn't seen as the default as much as public schooling is. If you homeschool your kids, you're doing "extra" and shouldn't "brag" about it b/c others would feel bad. : Totally reminds me of the breast vs. bottle thang.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#157 of 158 Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Social experiment:

Interesting eh?
Yup! That was exactly my point with my PP.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#158 of 158 Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb3 View Post
Heck, yeah, that's interesting! I guess it's partly b/c homeschooling isn't seen as the default as much as public schooling is. If you homeschool your kids, you're doing "extra" and shouldn't "brag" about it b/c others would feel bad. : Totally reminds me of the breast vs. bottle thang.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page