What curriculum have you tried and discarded? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 57 Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't want to say Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons was completely useless, because I think it was key to getting my son to understand the concept of sounding things out, but he refused to do past lesson 5 or so. I'm glad we got a hand-me-down copy, though!

I don't want to entirely write off Hooked On Phonics either, as my son likes the HOP books, but as those are the only part he's willing to do, we probably would have been better off getting BOB books. Seeing as we got grades K-3 for $35, I'm not yet sure I regret the purchase.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#32 of 57 Old 05-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
I don't want to say Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons was completely useless, because I think it was key to getting my son to understand the concept of sounding things out, but he refused to do past lesson 5 or so. I'm glad we got a hand-me-down copy, though!

I don't want to entirely write off Hooked On Phonics either, as my son likes the HOP books, but as those are the only part he's willing to do, we probably would have been better off getting BOB books. Seeing as we got grades K-3 for $35, I'm not yet sure I regret the purchase.
With the cost of leveled readers I think $35 makes the HOP worth it! Where'd you get it for that?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#33 of 57 Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 PM

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Five in a Row
Mystery of History
Apologia Astronomy
The Scientists Apprentice
#34 of 57 Old 05-03-2009, 07:14 AM

I don't homeschool... yet. DD is 3 and I'm still in considering mode.

I read "The Story of the World" last year and have never been so disappointed in my life. I minored in history, I really like it, I loved the idea of using history as the spine around which other studies are organized... and I hated, hated, hated TSOTW. I understood that it was trying to go in chronological order, but because it skipped from region to region (and therefore narrative to narrative), it was just poorly organized and confusing, not to mention the fact that there was stuff in there that was just plain wrong.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#35 of 57 Old 05-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Banned

Explode the code: DD and I both found it confusing. the illustrations as so abstract that I would often have to look up answers and tell DD what the picture was so she could write the correct word.

Saxon Math: too dry and repetitive

As Much as I personally love History Odyssey Level 2 middle Ages, we might have to scrap it. It just isn't a good fit for DD.
#36 of 57 Old 05-03-2009, 01:21 PM

FIAR- I was so excited about the concept we LOVE to read and the kids often ask me to read books over and over BUT the books from v.1 not so much and as AM pointed out I felt I could come up with better ideas on my own- of course the whole reason I orderd FIAR was that I was lacking time to come up with and prep stuff

This thread is really very useful!

I am considering miquon for the fall, and I just got some hand me down cuisenair (sp?) rods so I think I'll have ds play aroung with the idea of rods as # before I order.
thanks

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#37 of 57 Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM

The one that sends shivers down my spine is Horizons Math. I tried to make it work for two years with DS1, then decided from some crazy reason to buy it for DS2. I finally ditched it for DK Math Made Easy.

We also ditched Beautiful Feet Press: Early American History. I'm a born-again Christian, but coudln't see telling my K child that the reason the pilgrims were successful and Jamestown wasn't is because the pilgrims were Christians. I sold it.

We didn't make it through WP Children Around the World. It was rated 1st-6th the year we bought it, but it was way underrated. It's more like 4th-7th, I think. I really wanted to love it, but it just didn't work for us at all.

OTOH, we're loving Sonlight Core 1. We love Launguage Lessons for the Very Young (the whole series), although we do one PAGE at a time instead of one lesson at a time. And we really love our DK math books. They're GREAT!

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#38 of 57 Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 PM

I also didn't like Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons

#39 of 57 Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama View Post

I am considering miquon for the fall, and I just got some hand me down cuisenair (sp?) rods so I think I'll have ds play aroung with the idea of rods as # before I order.
thanks

We love Miquon. I know others have found it confusing but I love that it is discovery based and the way it develops a true math sense in my kids, rather than relying on a rote style of learning.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#40 of 57 Old 05-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
We love Miquon. I know others have found it confusing but I love that it is discovery based and the way it develops a true math sense in my kids, rather than relying on a rote style of learning.
thanks

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#41 of 57 Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebethmom View Post
Just curious . . . what didn't work for you? And why?

RightStart Math is the curriculum that just didn't fit our style. It's a great program, and I really wanted it to work for us. But it was just too open-ended. There were too many steps and options in the daily plans. And just too much prep work. I needed an open-the-book and go system. So now we use Singapore. It's going well for us.

But I might revisit RS for dd. I feel like I'm starting from scratch all over again. Kindergarten is coming up, and dd and ds have such different styles.
Prima Latina for Latin. It came highly recommended but Latin For Children just works better for us and was more what I was looking for for the first year.The reason that I didn't care for it was that I wanted something richer with a lot more grammar the first year. LFC has that. I also like that LFC is assumed classical pronunciation. Both are Christian companies but LFC , the first year at least is lighter on it and IMO more secular friendly. This is just my opinion. But I don't feel Prima Latin was a bad program, simply not a good fit for us. As I said I was looking for something a little richer and LFC fits that for now.

My son wanted these smilies here
#42 of 57 Old 05-05-2009, 12:28 AM

Another vote against "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". Ditto what everyone has said about it. Boring, felt weird reading a script, DD wasn't into it. In fact, I don't think we made it past the 3rd lesson. Luckily I was able to get it from our library, so no $$$ lost.

Hmmm...now, I was just looking at FIAR. DD1 likes most of those books & our library actually has all but 2 of them. I really like the idea of unit studies & that because I don't have to buy the books, and can probably find FIAR Vol 1 used, it will be a cheap start-up.

I'm also looking at Preschool Plus through Hewitt Homeschooling. I like that it's geared for PreK/K. Thinking it might be something that is easy to use for DD1 who is 4 1/2 & DD2 who is 2 1/2. Yeah, I know DD2 doesn't need "school" yet, but she wants to be included so I'm trying to keep that in mind. Actually, that was one of the appealing things about FIAR too.

I'd love to hear feedback on Preschool Plus if anyone has used it!

This thread is great, btw...keep them coming!
#43 of 57 Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM

We have used and ditched:
Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons...I think I hated this just as much as my DS. I, too, felt weird reading the script and DS would almost cry when I picked up the book.
RightStart Math...I so wanted this to work for us. From what I had read about it, I loved the concept. It just hasn't worked out for us. It was way too much prep for us as well. I couldn't figure out where my son needed to be. It seemed he was well ahead of the start of level B, but if I skipped ahead he would miss learning how to use the program.
Moving Beyond the Page...I felt it was only surface learning, as well as too expensive. I agree about needing the proofreader. I also did not like having to spend so much time preparing for the lesson.
What your ____ Grader Needs to Know series (first, second, etc). The stories and poems in the books were only bits and pieces, not usually the unabridged stories. I also didn't feel like this went into any depth at all.
#44 of 57 Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is anyone else reading discard lists and thinking "Hmmm.... I wonder if they're selling that?"

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#45 of 57 Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM

Wow, so many people don't like 100 EZ lessons... It wasn't my favorite part of the day, but man did it work! Amethyst is reading at about a 5th grade level now, all.... day... long.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#46 of 57 Old 05-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Is anyone else reading discard lists and thinking "Hmmm.... I wonder if they're selling that?"
I didn't think of that....but I wonder....:
#47 of 57 Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janerose View Post
Hmmm...now, I was just looking at FIAR. DD1 likes most of those books & our library actually has all but 2 of them. I really like the idea of unit studies & that because I don't have to buy the books, and can probably find FIAR Vol 1 used, it will be a cheap start-up.

This thread is great, btw...keep them coming!
One person's discard is another's treasure! Seems that you either love FIAR or hate it. We're on the "love it" side. We also use unit studies from homeschoolshare.com. I also happen to love book lists! When you combine the book lists from FIAR and homeschoolshare . . . *swoon*!
#48 of 57 Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
One person's discard is another's treasure! Seems that you either love FIAR or hate it. We're on the "love it" side. We also use unit studies from homeschoolshare.com. I also happen to love book lists! When you combine the book lists from FIAR and homeschoolshare . . . *swoon*!

My daughter's loved the lapbooking and repitition of reading the same book everyday that FIAR and homeschoolshare offered but my son was just bored out of his mind from it.
#49 of 57 Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
LLATL - Learning Language Arts through Literature. I though dd would like it because she liked the books it covered, but she found it made even good books boring. LOL
We had the same experience with LLATL. I was so disappointed.

The second or third year of homeschool I order Christian Liberty Press.... It was the one and only time I felt like we had completely waisted our money. We didn't end up using it for longer than a month and that one month was the longest feeling month of our homeschooling experience. We ended up having to reorder stuff for that year it was such a complete wash.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#50 of 57 Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I will be, make me an offer
#51 of 57 Old 05-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaGRB View Post
What your ____ Grader Needs to Know series (first, second, etc). The stories and poems in the books were only bits and pieces, not usually the unabridged stories. I also didn't feel like this went into any depth at all.
I picked that up from the library, paged through it at home, said "Heck No!" and took it right back.
#52 of 57 Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne View Post
I picked that up from the library, paged through it at home, said "Heck No!" and took it right back.

And see, I really like it, just for a general guideline of topics. I use other sources for the literature and I didn't bother with trying to memorize all the rhymes or anything in the preschool or K, but I like it a lot as an outline. It's not supposed to be an actual curriculum or anything. Core Knowledge has lesson plans and things for designing a curriculum (not a complete one, but literature, history, geography and art appreciation) but the WY_GNTK books are NOT a curriculum. They're written for parents whose kids attend school, actually.
#53 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Hmmm... if either of the 2 OPs who didn't like Moving Beyond the Page or those who didn't like RightStart Math have them for the 5yo level or Level A, I might be interested!

I like everything behind it, and their samples, but I'm looking for a way to make prep less involved, so.... maybe those aren't good choices? Peak with Books is annoying me this year, but we love the books themselves, so it's just a resource book now. Do MBTP and RightStart require more prep than PWB?

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#54 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 12:30 AM

i really enjoyed five in a row. there are definitely some wonderful books. however, i did find it pretty simplistic and definitely it can be completed in one day, two max.

also, all my kids have done great with explode the code.

as far as ones we have discarded, the only one i can think of is saxon math.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#55 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 01:33 PM

:
Quote:
Just curious . . . what didn't work for you? And why?

RightStart Math is the curriculum that just didn't fit our style. It's a great program, and I really wanted it to work for us. But it was just too open-ended. There were too many steps and options in the daily plans. And just too much prep work. I needed an open-the-book and go system. So now we use Singapore. It's going well for us.

But I might revisit RS for dd. I feel like I'm starting from scratch all over again. Kindergarten is coming up, and dd and ds have such different styles.
#56 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#57 of 57 Old 05-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummeting View Post
And see, I really like it, just for a general guideline of topics. I use other sources for the literature and I didn't bother with trying to memorize all the rhymes or anything in the preschool or K, but I like it a lot as an outline. It's not supposed to be an actual curriculum or anything. Core Knowledge has lesson plans and things for designing a curriculum (not a complete one, but literature, history, geography and art appreciation) but the WY_GNTK books are NOT a curriculum. They're written for parents whose kids attend school, actually.

I like the books as well.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page