Living overseas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-01-2009, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I are contemplating moving overseas to Venezuela, where his family lives. Truthfully the main reason I’m hesitant is that I REALLY want the option to homeschool our children! It’s a dream of mine to homeschool even though our son is just over a year old now. My MIL is a social worker in Venezuela and thought I was cra-zy for planning to homeschool as mandatory school attendance is strictly enforced there. Does anyone have any advice on how we could possibly live in Venezuela and still homeschool our children? All of our children will be dual-citizens (US/Venezuelan). What if they were enrolled in a homeschool charter school in the states? Would we be allowed to register our children in a charter school here if we did not have a current US address?

Thank you!

Mommy to my sweet toddler DS 2/2008
#2 of 6 Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyDearest View Post
My husband and I are contemplating moving overseas to Venezuela, where his family lives. Truthfully the main reason I’m hesitant is that I REALLY want the option to homeschool our children! It’s a dream of mine to homeschool even though our son is just over a year old now. My MIL is a social worker in Venezuela and thought I was cra-zy for planning to homeschool as mandatory school attendance is strictly enforced there. Does anyone have any advice on how we could possibly live in Venezuela and still homeschool our children? All of our children will be dual-citizens (US/Venezuelan). What if they were enrolled in a homeschool charter school in the states? Would we be allowed to register our children in a charter school here if we did not have a current US address?

Thank you!
I'd call and talk it over with an immigration lawyer, honestly.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#3 of 6 Old 05-02-2009, 07:56 AM

You are required to follow the law in the country where you take residence independent of your nationality.

Perhaps you can find someone here who is HS in Venezuela:

http://www.homeschoolmedia.net/regis...l?locale=36699
#4 of 6 Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM

We opted not to move to Germany for this exact reason. I 'think' Venezuela may have ways to get around the laws there, Germany did not, whatsoever. And the thought of my kids being removed from my care in a foreign country (it's happened!!) made me physically ill. The other reason I would not move to a country, and homeschool, where it is not common, is it would be difficult to find support/resources/other hs-ing friends, etc....I pictured us in Germany, even if we somehow 'got away' with it, keeping our entire life a secret, never having other kdis to hang out with during the day, or take trips with. If we had no choice but to move, I probably would just find the best school available and make the best of it. But that would be difficult for me to do - I don't like the struycture of school, and wouldn't want my kids being with other people most of their waking hours - I want our family to be first.

nak -0 excuse typos please.
#5 of 6 Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I reread my post and it sounds like I was trying to cheat the system, I'm sorry that wasn't my intention. I figured you have to follow the local laws but was unsure if having your kid enrolled in an overseas program was ok. The thought of my kids being removed terrifies me!

Mommy to my sweet toddler DS 2/2008
#6 of 6 Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MummyDearest View Post
Thanks guys! I reread my post and it sounds like I was trying to cheat the system, I'm sorry that wasn't my intention. I figured you have to follow the local laws but was unsure if having your kid enrolled in an overseas program was ok. The thought of my kids being removed terrifies me!
I don't think that you are trying to cheat the system, but I think with how high the stakes are I'd really only trust the opinion of a qualified lawyer. Some countries really take the anti-homeschooling thing seriously.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page