Mothering Forum banner

Camp Half-Blood/Olympian Camp: Anyone want to join us this summer?

7K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  User101 
#1 ·
We've really fallen in love with the Percy Jackson books, and have decided to do our own version of Camp Half-Blood this summer. I think we're calling ours Olympian Camp because I just don't feel like explaining orange shirts that say "Camp Half-Blood" on them, but maybe I am being silly.

I googled, and didn't realize that this wasn't my own brilliant idea.
Lots of people have already done this. Some resources I found:
Blog: Camp Half-Blood
BookPeople Camp
Rick Riordan's Camp Half-Blood Site-- I especially like the schedule here
A bunch of Percy Jackson stuff in PDF format
Camp Application
Homeschool blog that did the same thing
A board version of Camp
Camp Half-Blood RPG
Games, sweepstakes, etc on the official site

And ZOMGosh, how cool is this-- Rick Riordan HOMESCHOOLS!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
You'll have so much fun! My kids haven't stopped talking about our Camp Halfblood experience last summer, so we're doing it again since the last book in the series is about to come out. We're adding in a bunch of ideas that the kids gave us because they're more creative than we are.

You're right, you have to explain the t-shirts. People think they're connected to Harry Potter. That doesn't seem to bother my kids, and they keep wearing them. It's a small price to pay for inspiring such a passion for learning about Greek mythology and history.

Jean
www.makingthisup.wordpress.com

#6 ·
I wanted to share something neat. We don't have a Barnes and Noble in our town, but we had to go to State College today for eye exams (we see a pediatric ophthalmologist) and I had a coupon for 30% off the new Percy Jackson book that came out today, so we stopped to pick it up. On the way out, they had some nice hardcover classics for $7.98, and I noticed Michael checking out Homer's Odyssey. And he asked if he could get it to read! Now tell me, who could say no to that?!?

#7 ·
So, for starters...

we're about finished with Story of the World, so we're going to start with the 12 Olympians. We're going to learn about each of them. We're going to either make a shoebox cabin or a throne/chair for each and learn about their symbol of power, maybe make a replica of that. After we have that under our belts, I think we're going to start working our way through the myths. I have a copy of The Children's Homer we'll probably do as a read aloud.

#11 ·
For older kids who have finsihed up the Percy Jackson books, there is The Cronus Chronicles. The first two books in the series -- The Shadow Thieves, and The Siren Song. The third is due out in June. The subtitle is What If Greek Gods Were Real? My 10 yr old loved these and is looking forawrd to June. (I have not read them, and they are in the YA section, so some people may want to look at them first).

www.cronuschronicles.com

#15 ·
DD (and DH!) love both Percy Jackson and the Cronus Chronicles.

And two lucky ducks actually got to see Rick Riordan and get an autograph in their new copy of the 5th PJ installment a couple of weeks ago. Very, very cool.

He's apparently doing Egyptian teenage gods next, then back to PJ when they're older.

#17 ·
Subbing.

Thanks for the ideas, and the homeschooling link. Brilliant idea -- all very cool!

Dd has specially requested another round of Hogwarts Summer Correspondence School this year, but I am all over Half Blood Camp in a year or two as soon as my boys are old enough to read Riordan with me.

OT-Riordan was my favorite boys name but we never used it because DH just didn't take to it. I love the name. Love typing it. Riordan, Riordan...

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
Dd has specially requested another round of Hogwarts Summer Correspondence School this year
We'll be at Hogwarts with Aubergine's dd, sounds like. Maybe the Post Owls will cross paths.
Sounds fun though, AM, thanks for sharing the info.

#23 ·
In case anyone is interested, I have pictures of what we've been up to here.

It's been kind of a crazy summer and I haven't been feeling great, so we've done less than I had hoped. We did make t-shirts and blue chocolate chip cookies, and we've been doing lots of talking and drawing and story-telling.

The kids have actually done more on their own than directed by me, which I actually think is pretty awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.