A Planning Retreat 2009-2010 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 06-11-2009, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bumpity

I'm finding great resources for many museums in the teacher section with activities outlined that use the museum. Will implement this as I think Thursday will be trip day.
#32 of 55 Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The life of hearth and home is contradictory to the busyness of modern materialistic society. It is less, slower, simpler. It is sitting and reading. It is the fireplace. Meals together. Board games. Going to the movies. Taking walks. Watering the garden. Doing nothing. Brunch. Watching the sunset. Lying in the hammock. These things are not frivolous; they are essential. They are the foundation. They are the roots. They are sacred time. All expansion into the world requires times of contraction, of doing nothing.
- Peggy O' Mara, A Quiet Place, "Hearth and Home"

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#33 of 55 Old 06-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
We take for granted the rhythm of breathing: filling our lungs with air and emptying them again, drawing something from outside into us and then releasing something of ourselves (for we make the CO2!) back out into the world. But how aware are we of the way the soul breathes also-- taking in the content of the world though eyes, ears, etc., transforming it and releasing it again, maybe as a poem, a piece of knitting, a nice clean kitchen? This "soul breathing" goes on all the time and one can see the different rhythmic patterns in it.

--All Year Round, Christine Fynes-Clinton
Quote:
The life of hearth and home is contradictory to the busyness of modern materialistic society. It is less, slower, simpler. It is sitting and reading. It is the fireplace. Meals together. Board games. Going to the movies. Taking walks. Watering the garden. Doing nothing. Brunch. Watching the sunset. Lying in the hammock. These things are not frivolous; they are essential. They are the foundation. They are the roots. They are sacred time. All expansion into the world requires times of contraction, of doing nothing.
- Peggy O' Mara, A Quiet Place, "Hearth and Home"
These made my heart & soul happy : ! Thanks AM for posting them. Maybe I'm doing something right afterall?!?

#34 of 55 Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 AM

I've started planning my curriculum for next year these past few weeks. My child is 5, and I have been HS him for a year. I didn't really write stuff down and plan, just did things by ear - did Phonics K and different math things with him all year. From looking at some Math K curriculum's, I can see he needs 1st grade math, and he is on 1st grade Phonics.

I use Saxon Phonics b/c that is what my local college library has for me to use free, and I kind of like it. 1st grade is definitely more involved than the K one. Lessons are twice as long.

Math - the library has a bunch of math curriculum too. I checked out SRA/McGraw-Hill math and I really like it for him. So I will use that

History/Geography: Story of the World & USBorne IL Encyclopedia - Mosaic free curriculum that goes with this. I didn't order the activity guide for SOTW because of this. www.bringinguplearners.com
I also have him put together a map of the US and then we go over states. He knows 1/2 of them.

Science: on the Bringinguplearners website, she recommended a science curriculum, the author has a Yahoo! group for it - he was a professor for some time. Anyways, she sold me on it. I will be getting that soon so I can plan out my lessons.

Must concentrate more on neat handwriting. I have the D'Leanian book out from the library.

I also teach him sign language

Art/Music - I need to implement more listening to classical music - I want to do tea time (I like the CM method). You have a snack, put classical music on, look at some artwork, discuss it, also discuss any behavior that needs work (manners)...15 minutes a few times a week.
Otherwise, art projects go with other activities.

I'd like to have music time everyday where we sing some songs and read one quick story and then move onto something else.

Along with CM outside time, identifying trees, nature journal, history journal...

it's a bit overwhelming, but we'll figure it out!

Yeah, to the CM hard core...I'm starting before age 6, but I have to or he would be going to a state-funded school...
#35 of 55 Old 06-16-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Be sure that your children each day have

*Something or someone to love
*Something to do
*Something to think about

~ Charlotte Mason

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#36 of 55 Old 06-16-2009, 12:57 PM

I'm planning constantly now...I have to admit, I love the hunt!!!

So far, I'm thinking:

DS (7, 2nd grade):
RightStart C, First Language Lessons, HWT, and probaly the 2nd grade advanced reader list from Singapore, but the reader choices are still up in the air. I'm also wondering about using some Writing With Ease, but still not sure if that's overkill. I might have to order it and see...worst case we don't use it til 3rd grade when we finish FLL. I also have Language Lessons for LIttle Ones I'll have him do sometimes. It might sound like a lot, but I like to change things out here and there to avoid boredom with the same activities every day.

DD1 (will turn 5, kindy):
RS A, continue Headsprout, HWT first grade (she's into writing and almost done with the kindy book already), and Language Lessons for the Very Young.

I was thinking of Singapore science workbooks, and the read alouds from Sonlight 1...but then I looked at Winter Promise again...so I'd really like to get Animals and their Worlds to do with both of them. I think they'd really like it, they are totally into animals and such, and it fits the bill of both science AND literature.

I was also thinking about History Odyssey. I'd like to start history a couple of days a week, and I think this fits the bill. Or, I might just do SOTW itself...I don't know. I'd like to get the cd's to listen to for sure, bc I get tired of reading aloud LOL. HO seems like a nice spine though with activities and such, but it might be too much with WP. I might just listen to SOTW while doing the coloring books from HO, and maybe get the workbook for occasional activities. Maybe someone here as advice?

I'd love to get Artisitic Pursuits, and more Come Look With Me art books...they loved the one book we did last year.

I'm having fun reading about different curric's and hunting the classifieds for used stuff!!! That said...have you checked Amazon? They beat out even Rainbow Resource and the used stuff for many books, especially the Peace Hill Press stuff. For less than many of the books used, I can get them new and shipped for free...cd's too!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#37 of 55 Old 06-16-2009, 10:59 PM

subbing! I need to get into gear! Our budget this year is extremely small AND the library is now charging 50$ for out of city residents, with a limit of 5 books checked out at a time. :: I could take the fee if it weren't for the limit, but will not pay that for such lame services...I need all the inspiration I can get!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#38 of 55 Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Dannic, that's awful!

OK, the first thing I'm going to do is sit down and figure out what main lesson blocks I want for the third and fifth graders. The kindergartener is easy-- we'll be working through the alphabet with fairy tales, Waldorf-style.

#39 of 55 Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 AM

Well, I think I figured out at least most of our routine - daily, weekly, and yearly. I do need to work on getting us started earlier in the morning, but here's what we are doing:

Get up/wake up/eat breakfast
Spelling/writing
break
Math/Grammar/cursive & printing practice
break
Lunch
Read aloud/Phonics - Hooked on Phonics/listen to story on CD
Free time

Somehow in there, though, I want to fit in Latin and Spanish. I just don't know where/how. Maybe Fridays can be foreign language days (or Wednesdays if we do the PE class again). We do the above schedule 4 days a week; if the boys do the PE hs'ing program, then Wednesdays become our "off" day. Maybe we can fit in foreign language somewhere.

A good friend of mine who also hs's and I decided that we were going to get together 1x a month for art and music. She bought the Meet the Master's program (she is in a charter and gets so much money per kid per semester). So, I think we'll do one artist and one composer each month. We both want to introduce them to our kids, but don't know how to do it and feel there's safety in numbers.

Dh and I decided that a good year-round schedule would be taking the last week of every even-numbered month off - so basically, we'd have 7 weeks "on" and 1 week "off". (We'd still keep up with reading - both them to us and us to them across curriculum subjects, just no sit-down stuff.) Plus, we'll take off some days that dh has off (but not all of them as we definitely do better when we stick with our routine with dh home).

And I decided that I don't want to block schedule science and history, so we'll just do some reading from both subjects during the week - maybe trying to do some science reading during the first part of the week and history reading during the second part of the week. I have decided not to order History Odyssey; I think I'll go through SOTW and just jot down which chapters go with the pages from the Usborne Encyclopedia - I think I like the Usborne order better.

And, I figured out how to integrate Writing with Ease while still doing First Language Lessons - I wrote down all the suggested writing elements and the number of weeks recommended (for example, 2 weeks working on proper names, 2 weeks working on names of cities). We now do dictation from spelling 2x a week and copywork sentences focusing on the writing elements 2x a week. Then we keep FLL all oral.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#40 of 55 Old 06-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, I got my retreat and it was more than I bargained for.

End of May I got Sigatoxin producing E.Coli, so I had to be hospitalized for 5 days and have been home on bedrest ever since. Good News is I have nothing better to do than sit down and plan things. It's taking me way longer than one day though, I think I am on day 5, I'm revamping so much from what I used to do, and redoing binders, and planning things out, figuring out how to use new books, etc.........
#41 of 55 Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Just wanted to say I saw a post on the WTM boards about combining FLL and WWE...apparently FLL is meant for 2-3 days per week, and WWE 4 days...so, with that in mind, you could do it that way and on days where both require something like copywork, do one or the other....probably skipping the 'enrichment' exercises in WWE.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#42 of 55 Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

A morning walk provides the (young) child with a daily opportunity to experience the seasonal changes around him- whether it's a walk through the woods or around the neighborhood... By experiencing nature... as opposed to merely observing it or, worse yet, being shown it in a book, the child lays rich foundations for future learning, especially in the sciences. Further, morning walks provide rich sense experiences for the child...

Do try to this walk every morning no matter what the weather. Let your child really get to know about his environment and the weather where he lives!

Donna Simmons, Kindergarten with Your Three to Six Year Old

#43 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

When you are considering curriculum, look at the rhythms of daily life in your house. Plan, as much as possible, a logical sequence of events. I am not talking about an airtight schedule. Airtight schedules... are going to set you up for failure. Don't be a slave to your schedule or your clock. Instead, work with the natural rhythm of life in your household to set up comfortable, logical, manageable routines... The rhythms and routines of daily life provide comfort and security to the entire family. They remove the need for constant decision making over things that should be habits and are the oil that lubricates a well-run homeschooling family.

Elizabeth Foss, Real Learning

#44 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Math cannot be confined to a written page. It needs to be touched. Your child should play with it, experiment with it, internalize it. He should encounter the "Aha!" over and over again during the years he learns at home.

Elizabeth Foss, Real Learning

#45 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Be sure that your children each day have

*Something or someone to love
*Something to do
*Something to think about

~ Charlotte Mason
Love that!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#46 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Dannic, that's awful!

OK, the first thing I'm going to do is sit down and figure out what main lesson blocks I want for the third and fifth graders. The kindergartener is easy-- we'll be working through the alphabet with fairy tales, Waldorf-style.
AM...would you be willing to explain how blocks work for you? I just can't wrap my head around how to do it :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#47 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in panic mode right now. With baby no. 5 coming in February, I feel like I must get everything planned and under control before we start. I do have main lesson blocks planned out. From my blog:
Kindergarten
Easy peasy. We'll just work our way through the alphabet with fairy tales and do crafting, cooking, etc. that fits in with the story.

Third Grade
Multiplication Tables
Farming and Gardening
Housebuilding and Shelters (including building scale models)
Old Testament Stories and History
Native American Stories
Flood Stories
Life of Jesus
Astronomy
Telling Time

Fifth Grade
Decimals
Geometric Forms
Botany, including fungi, ferns, algae, conifers, monocotyledons and dicotyledons
North American Geography
Mapmaking
The Book of Acts
Shakespeare
Fractions

I do plan on doing math consistently throughout the year--as a matter of fact, my next step is to go through both of their math books so I can try to line up like chapters, so we're all doing weights and measures at the same time, etc--but there were certain topics I wanted to turn into a main lesson block/unit study. Some of these will probably be stretched into two or even three main lessons, spaced throughout the year.

Typically, Michael would be studying Ancient Cultures in the fifth grade, but since we already covered a lot of that with Story of the Word and because we're focusing on Ancient Cultures with our Olympian Camp this summer, I don't feel the need to plan main lesson blocks this school year.

#48 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 PM

WHAT???? Baby #5!!! I missed the memo.

Congrats! :

#49 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
AM...would you be willing to explain how blocks work for you? I just can't wrap my head around how to do it :
In my version, they're a lot like unit studies. We try to work in different subject areas. For example, in a third grade flood stories block, we might do some copywork from the Noah story in the Bible, read a flood story together, maybe do some 2 x 2 multiplication/skip counting, make a Venn diagram comparing flood stories from different cultures, learn a little about floods, act out the story, learn a poem, etc, etc, etc. Not all in one day, of course, but over the course of a month.

Here are some examples of what we did in a Rainforest Main Lesson block last year in second:
http://natural-childhood.blogspot.co...ainforest.html
http://natural-childhood.blogspot.co...adventure.html
http://natural-childhood.blogspot.co...ie-graces.html

#50 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
WHAT???? Baby #5!!! I missed the memo.

Congrats! :
Thanks. It's actually scaring the crap out of me, but I'm sure the panicky feeling will lesson eventually, LOL

#51 of 55 Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It's actually scaring the crap out of me, but I'm sure the panicky feeling will lesson eventually, LOL
Trust me...if I can do it, you will be fine!

#52 of 55 Old 06-27-2009, 01:47 AM

Congratulations, Annettemarie! :

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#53 of 55 Old 06-27-2009, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

#54 of 55 Old 06-29-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm finally getting around to planning, too!

So we have Oak Meadow first grade, but I'm adapting the language arts part to be fully in German (bilingual home) because we've done the letters via fairy tale thing TO DEATH in English already.

I may also look into Family Math for more math ideas.

Anybody have a good source for general activities for this age? Stuff like...making a moon calender, weather chart, mapping the neighborhood...etc. The normal good stuff for younger kids, you know, but all in one book?

I have a lot of Waldorf resources to draw from as well. Trying to get organized!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#55 of 55 Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 PM

I’ve been planning for last couple of weeks a little here and there, but for the past three days I’ve been going at it full board! My bottom is hurting from sitting at the computer for so many hours and my house is starting to look like a tornado hit it. :

At the moment, I am still trying to decide if we will use the REAL Science Earth & Space curriculum that we already have but haven't used yet, or if we're going to do Life Science instead. My son says space and my daughter says life. I was all set to use REAL Science, but then elizawill posted a link to a science curriculum that I thought looked really fun!

Also, I haven't yet added US History curricula to this list because I haven't completely decided 100% on anything yet.

Also, I’m still trying to figure out our US History curricula. I’ve been researching and have dug up a lot of different things, but I want to at least narrow it down to no more than three. I know I like the classical method as we use this with World History using HO, SotW, UILE of World History, KingFisher, living books, etc. So… right now, on my list to consider for US History is:

TruthQuest – I am fairly certain I will be using this (probably along with others, though)
History of US by Hakim – actually I ordered a copy of book 1 of this so I can see in person if I like it or not as I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews about it.
The Complete Book of United States History – I think I will probably use this along with something else as I understand it has really great activities in it.
Beautiful Feet Books
Biblioplan
A Young People’s History of the United States

So far I have ordered:

Singapore Math 1A Textbook U.S. Edition
Singapore Math 1A Workbook U.S. Edition
Singapore Math 1A Home Instructors Guide
Singapore Math 3B Home Instructors Guide
Miquon Math Labs Orange Book Lvl 1 (grade 1)
Miquon Lab Sheet Annotations
Miquon First Grade Diary
Miquon Notes to Teachers
First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind
Explode the Code Book 1
ARTistic Pursuits K-3 book 1
ARTistic Pursuits 4-6 book 1
Cuisenaire Rods -- set of 74 wooden
Folding Meter / Yard Stick
12 Blank Cubes in 4 Colors with 77 Blank Stickers
Place Value Cards
All About Spelling Starter Kit
All About Spelling Level 1

Those should be arriving soon. :

For the curriculum that I already have planned, I need to order:

Classical Education Timeline Box Set
Geared Student Clock
Balance Scale
Liquid Measuring Set
Metric Weights
Pounds Weights
Mini Geo-Solids
Rosetta Stone Italian Level 1 -- I haven't decided if I should just order the whole set for this or not as I'm not sure how far we'd get in one year. Any experience with this?
Extra Practice for Primary Math STD ED 1
Primary Mathematics Tests 1A STD ED
Singapore Math 1B Textbook U.S. Edition
Singapore Math 1B Workbook U.S. Edition
Singapore Math 1B Home Instructors Guide
Primary Mathematics Tests 1B STD ED
Singapore Math 2A Textbook U.S. Edition
Singapore Math 2A Workbook U.S. Edition
Singapore Math 2A Home Instructors Guide
Primary Mathematics Tests 2A STD ED
Extra Practice for Primary Math STD ED 2
Miquon Math Labs Red Book Lvl 2 (grade 1)
Miquon Math Labs Blue Book Lvl 3 (grade 2)
Miquon Math Labs Green Book Lvl 4 (grade 2)
Cuisenaire 50 cm Rod Track
Explode the Code Book 2
Explode the Code Book 3
Explode the Code Book 4
ARTistic Pursuits K-3 book 2
ARTistic Pursuits K-3 book 3
Italic Handwriting Book B (Getty Dubay)
Italic Handwriting Book B Blackline Masters CD
ARTistic Pursuits 4-6 book 2
Primary Mathematics Tests 3B STD ED
Singapore Math 4A Workbook U.S. Edition
Singapore Math 4A Textbook U.S. Edition
Primary Mathematics Tests 4A STD ED
Extra Practice for Primary Math STD ED 4
Singapore Math 4A Home Instructors Guide
Growing With Grammar, Grade 4 (complete set)
Italic Handwriting Book D (Getty Dubay)
Italic Handwriting Book D Blackline Masters CD

Whew! That's a lot of stuff! :

I love this thread!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page