A Planning Retreat 2009-2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I already told my DH that soon I was going to kick him and the kids out of the house for the day so I could plan next year. I would go somewhere, but all my books and stuff are here, so maybe they can go visit my in-laws three hours away or something.

Anyway, I'm hoping to do this in May or early June so I can also plan out our Olympian camp this summer.

What I was thinking was, maybe this thread could be an online "home base" for other moms who wanted to share their planning for next year. Feel free to post inspirations, helpful resources, share your methods and ideas, whatever we want. Sometimes I wish I could sit in a big lodge with all of you and pick your brains. Since that's not going to happen, I thought we could have this space for an online retreat.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 55 Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a great idea

My son is going to church camp this summer, so I will probably do it then.

It usually takes me awhile to look at everything and decide what my goals are and then plan, but it's fun!
#3 of 55 Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Oooo! That totally rocks!

I'm trying desperately not to be sucked in via standard newbie style and buy far too much and make too many plans. Simultaneously, I'm pretty darn sure I will fail miserably and overplan far too much. DD is finishing Pre-K at a public school. DD wants to start now and asks me to do homeschool with her every spare moment (we do either stuff I design that she asks about, like where foods come from; or we do as much Peak with Books as I can stand before I write my own for the same book). I'm thinking we'll start mid-July with a little more structure to how often we work on homeschooling topics.

Anyway, so far I'm thinking I might buy 1 Moving Beyond the Page 5-7 yo theme for reference and an easier/more structured start to the year (the one on change looks most interesting and related to what DD wants to learn).

They recommend RightStart Math and ABeCeDarian, but I'm not sure I want to tackle additional curricula immediately; also $ concerns; also I'm picky.

I write/have written currciula for Scholastic and Kaplan, but I usually work with classroom-oriented stuff for 3-5th grade. So I feel that just makes me picky about other curricula and impatient with some issues. (I was horribly underwhelmed by Peak with Books for example... and another preschool one I can't remember right now)

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 55 Old 05-09-2009, 03:36 PM

I am throwing dh and the kids out in a week or 2, I have tons to do. I need absolute peace to do this.
#5 of 55 Old 05-09-2009, 03:37 PM

I want a retreat too! Maybe I'll head to your house AM

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#6 of 55 Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Great idea!!! We are just starting this year and I am overwhelmed with the amount of cool stuff I want to explore!!!
#7 of 55 Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Well mine is scheduled, pending DH having off memorial day. I'm tossing them out of the house at 8:30 am and they can not come back in the house until 4:30 pm.

Hopefully that will be enough time for me.
#8 of 55 Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM

I hadn't thought of this, but what a great idea!
I made a big amazon order a few days ago and I feel like I can't do much more planning until I actually have my supplies in hand.
I also have a few things I still want to order- namely Artistic Pursuits and a ton of art supplies.
I do have a (tentative) daily schedule. DD1 is going to be doing 1st grade. :
In the AM we'll do math first- Miquon and Singapore, but mainly Miquon. Then we'll do LA. We're getting the Complete Writer 1, First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind, and the cursive Memoria Press copybook. After nap we'll do history- SOTW and science. And in the evening we'll do phonics.
I think for the math and LA it should take about 2 hours. And we'll spend as much time as desired on science and history.
And the rest of the time is free play.

Now all I need to do is get my stuff and divide it into lessons. And cut out what we won't use.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#9 of 55 Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 PM

What a great idea! Subbing and looking into setting aside some time. I'd like to include dp and the kids, but maybe we can set it up separately----brainstorming sessions with each kid and then some time for me to plan.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#10 of 55 Old 05-16-2009, 08:33 PM

I'll be watching this thread closely for ideas and inspiration. No way I could get an entire day to myself. Just isn't happening around here. I'm going to be working out a general framework then fleshing it in as I find time. Right now I'm playing with doing a sort of unit study and lap book about cats, and starting plans do one about Antarctica next if all goes well and the kids dig it. I'm planning to incorporate lap booking and folder pockets heavily in the plans if they enjoy these. This is my first year experimenting with advance planning and I think it will help us a lot. The kids always want more fun stuff to do and it is challenging for me to do this inside of day to day household responsibilities and having a lo. I just sent out a big (for us) order to Rainbow Resource.

With Math and LA we'll be working through workbooks topics in order at least two days a week I think and expanding on them, carrying into other days as needed or wanted. We'll be getting a wooden abacus and a set of Math dice among other things, but I'm most excited about these. I think the kids will enjoy them. Also a Spill and Spell game. The kids usually copy words for Spelling and then do SpellingCity.com. I think we'll keep that going with new words each week because so far this works for everyone. I ordered a parts of speech card game and some Mad Libs too. I also want to pick out at least four very good choices for books to read together for Literature. Any suggestions? And of course reading whatever, whenever, where ever. Both kids are strong readers who love to read so I reserve the right to scrap my picking Literature for us if it doesn't work out.

Social Studies and Science are where I really want to do a lot of planning and want to correlate them were possible. I want to have a bunch of topics picked out to do mostly in order (changing if necessary). For each topic I'm hoping to have the basic resources (books etc) and project plans picked out, but won't set any time frame in which to complete them and will likely be adding to or changing throughout the year. Then we'll work through each topic, for as long or little as we do before moving onto the next. And if it happens that one of us has a particular interest in one planned topic it can be done at that time. Or if someone has a interest out of the topics we can decide to focus fully on it or do it alongside depending. I want to plan lap books and folder pockets and hands on experiments and projects like art and cooking. I really want to do the three murals from Jan Brett's site too, the Rain Forest, the Arctic, and the African safari. They're beautiful! I know I want to focus heavily on World Geography, different cultures, and Life Science, but delve into other areas as well. I'm definitely doing some things with Art and Architecture History to introduce some World History in a interesting way. Also planning on doing a study of the solar system and rocks. We'll be getting some History pocket folders and I hope to get ideas from them to do some of our own. I want to do this for World Geography, each location getting a pocket to put into a binder. And then lap books about particular animals or habitat or culture etc we are interested in from the particular region we are doing. I also want to do US Geography and start teaching US History, focusing heavily on the People. I really think it'll take us more than one year to go through these plans, but who knows? I'm a newbie at this. All of this will involve a lot of reading, hopefully very good books about each topic.

Sounds like a lot of work this planning stuff, but I'm committed to getting at least a very good start on it throughout the summer and am hopeful I will have at least a years worth of plans, give or take. We usually don't take the summer 'off' but we are this year. We've went through periods of unschooling and also very relaxed some directed, some child led learning. Right now the kids both seem to be thriving with me directing them in a very relaxed way. I'm positive this planning will do very good by my dd, more of a we'll see with my son. If it doesn't do good for him we'll go day to day or week to week or whatever does good for him. I'm fairly certain he'll be happy to participate with quite a bit of it, and as he is only 7, where dd is 9, I'm imagining it will be enough.

blogging.jpg

#11 of 55 Old 05-18-2009, 02:39 PM

What a great idea! I'm not sure when I'll ask for day, but I'll be sure to. First step is organization, then planning.
#12 of 55 Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Ooh. This thread is already getting my brain working on ideas and plans for next year. I don't know if I'm going to take a solid day to sit down and brainstorm or if it would work better for me to percolate over the course of a month or three, but I'm starting some lists of ideas: Field Trips, Unit Studies, Basic Goals....
#13 of 55 Old 05-18-2009, 05:21 PM

This morning I printed off a bunch of forms from www.donnayoung.org and I spent afternoon quiet time beginning the paper planning.
I'm STILL waiting on the rest of our books and stuff to get here- and it's so hard to wait.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#14 of 55 Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM

I've been slowly starting - either browsing Amazon while the boys are watching TV, or picking dh's brain in the eveings, or pulling out resources I already have. Ds#2 will be joining the ranks as an official hs'er next year, which I think will actually make it much easier to hs ds#1 (the last few days I have been having ds#2 join us during lessons and we do a lesson from The Ordinary Parent's Guide or I have him practice printing, and ds#1 doesn't seem to fuss with me). Though we'll take some time off for the summer (dh will be on summer break), I also strive for a bit more year-roundish schedule (kind of the idea that we learn all the time - whether that be in a more "formal" setting at the table or on the couch with some great books or at a museum or outside doing experiments).

So, my first order of business is figuring out how much dh wants to do this summer. We have 4 chemistry-related experiement kits from NOEO that we have not yet done. I think each kit has about 3 different activities; I figured we'd do those over the summer together.

Math will stay the same: Miquon. We'll move up to the third volume of Story of the World. I want to interlace that with the first volume of A Young People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn. Spelling will stay All-About-Spelling, and we'll stick with Hooked on Phonics for reading. We'll continue to work through First Language Lessons as a family (we do this at dinner).

For science, we'll explore physics. I don't think I'm going to buy the whole package from NOEO - I did not use their lesson guide at all for chemistry. I am getting many of the books they use for physics, and I'll order the experiment kit from them. We're also going to finally start Spanish with Rosetta Stone (I've had it for over a year now), and the boys are interested in Latin, so we'll go through the Minimus Primer (the languages will be done more informally together).

What I need to work on is how I want to schedule it all. I think we are going to try a block-schedule for history and science - one month of one and then a month of the other, alternating. I want to do language more frequently, but will be happy if we can get through it 2x a week. I need to work on our "vacations" - we can follow a fairly traditional school schedule, but I also need to again check with dh as to how much he wants to do when he's home on break. So, I basically know what I want to do with the boys, but need to figure out the how.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#15 of 55 Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 PM

There is a serious Waldorf family near me who actually has that retreat that you're dreaming of. I could never go, but I think it will be nice to read here. DD is only going to be 6, but I feel her thirst for learning is so deep and it takes some work for ME to make it so seamless for HER.

#16 of 55 Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

That retreat sounds like heaven!

I wanted to share some resources I use to "get me in the mood" so to speak.

Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss
A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Peirlot
Waldorf Education: A Family Guide
Kindergarten with Your Three to Six Year Old by Donna Simmons
Eugene Schwartz's website

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#17 of 55 Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM

:

I'm buying very few supplies to start with. I will be getting singapore math, explode the code, a globe, and several other maps. That's it to start! Unless of course i get carried away . I do have a bunch of other things too already though. We will be using unit studies for everything else, for the first few months and see how that goes. I'm hoping to do some for of lapbooking/note booking to keep everything organized. or maybe just a 3 ring binder to stick loose papers in??

I started planning for sept. Not sure how far I want to go. I just picked a couple units from homeschoolshare.com and picked out the things i thought DD would like. then added a few of my own ideas to it. Do you have goals for the month? year? 1/2 yr? Do you set goals for every subject or just the 3 r's? ( i have a 1st grader LOL)
#18 of 55 Old 05-22-2009, 03:46 AM

I'm going to be doing this is in the next few weeks, and will try to remember to post about it here. I'm actually going to be scheduling it to start during the summer, since we will have more free time (ds1's two day a week co-op ends next week until the Fall). I'm hoping that if I get a routine in place over the next few months that we will be able to keep the momentum once September is here and all the new classes start.
#19 of 55 Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 PM

I am a Waldorf homeschooling mother (see my blog www.theparentingpassageway.com) and will also be taking time this summer to write my curriculum for fall - I will have a second grader and a five year old Kindergartner. I am so looking forward to planning things!

Warmly,
Carrie
#20 of 55 Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 PM

These threads are so inspiring for me to go out and buy, buy, buy! lol!

In the next few weeks I'm going to conference with ds to find out what his educational goals are for next year. I'd like to tie in some ideas with financial management, but will wait to see if I get his buy in. I think we've determined a basic plan for next year based on his feedback this year. It's pretty high level at this point.

Science - We're doing a biology course this summer with dd and then I've laid basic ground work for an Earth and Space science curriculum this fall that I've pieced together. I need some work here in figuring out some field trips and I'm going to order some experiment stuff from NASA. I've already collected a mass of DVDs.

History - History of the World Middle Ages since we're moving along the continuum. I don't think we did nearly enough fun stuff with History last year -- mostly reading and a few art projects. I could definitely get more creative here.

Math - Miquon and Singapore. I'm going to also see about tying in some Living Math.

Art - Artisitic Pursuits -- which will hopefully go well with the History component.

Music -- Violin. Also would like to start to study period music and composers.

Language Arts -- This is my biggest challenge in trying to provide something that seems cohesive to me and interesting for ds. I'd love to be able to tie something in to the other disciplines, so it doesn't become too much. I need to spend most of my planning time here figuring out how to do this.

Sign Language -- I've been dragging my feet on this. DS wants to do this, but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I think I need a DVD / CD-Rom kind of format because picture books just don't get the conversation stuff well enough. I've contemplated putting him in a co-op class, but would kind of like to avoid this if possible. Maybe it'll have to wait another year.....

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#21 of 55 Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 AM

Honestly, I have no clue what I am doing. I feel :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#22 of 55 Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM

I use a planning program to create my pans for next year. It helps me think and I can see if I am putting too much on ds's plate.

I'm thinking about adding social studies this year. I may use the Discover America books along with the activity guides as a base, and then contacting each states tourism board to have them mail me freebies about their state. We've already completed 6 states with friends so I only have 44 + DC to complete.

For Math, we are just going to continue with Singapore and the intensive practice books.

History, I'm thinking about going with SOTW instead of History Odyssey but I'm not sure.

Art- we started with Drawing with Children and then stopped. So we are going to reboot that.

Science- I've already planned that out. We are doing Life Science, split into 3 different units.
#23 of 55 Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM

splendid- how do you like Drawing with Children? I am looking for a new art program/approach to use for next year...my ds does like to draw, it DwC very labor-intensive for me? or can it be done with fairly little prep? I am not very good at big complicated projects...thanks!

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#24 of 55 Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
splendid- how do you like Drawing with Children? I am looking for a new art program/approach to use for next year...my ds does like to draw, it DwC very labor-intensive for me? or can it be done with fairly little prep? I am not very good at big complicated projects...thanks!
This is what I have written down in my blog:

Quote:
My area does have Monart classes, they are a big chunk of change and I would need to drive there during the day (still no car). The chunk of change I could probably swing with some creative finances but the drive would be a no go. So I bought the book and am using the lessons plans from http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/dwclp.htm along with additional exercise sheets at http://www.donnayoung.org/art/draw1.htm. I will participating along with Gilbert. I should also add that I’ve decided to only do the first 14 lesson until the end of the school year, and then continue with the other lessons that are posted at the beginning of the next school year.

I decided to use Sharpie markers, I found a 28 pack at the evil empire store for under $20, I figure for a novice as myself it was a safer alternative.
I did it along with my son and with both had a lot of fun.
#25 of 55 Old 05-28-2009, 05:18 PM

:
We're moving away from the unschooling and relaxed eclectic homeschooling we'd been doing. We're going to try a lot more structure this Fall, mostly due to my older son's recent autism diagnosis, and the things I've heard about how kids with autism need more structure. I don't have the faintest clue how to do this! So, I'm reading this thread for ideas. :

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#26 of 55 Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well, I spent this year kind of figuring everything out... what we want to learn (if anything) and when... how we work best... what curriculums we want (if any). I think after a year of really looking into it (at a relaxed pace) and really "doing" homeschooling (vs. preschool, where he'd been) I finally have a handle on next year.

We're doing MBTP and I already have all 4 concepts.

We're doing Saxon 1 for math with some "Hands on Standards" here and there. But really, Saxon is sufficient in this respect. I just happen to still have that HoS book.

I'm not sure about reading. He's level C for Abecedarian, but too young for the content and focus required there.

And then we'll do our enrichment classes. I have a list of "places to check out" for classes in the fall, but no clue what will fall where and therefore what we're doing. I know language instruction is on the list--but not yet sure if it will be formal classes or if I'm just going to buckle down to regaining my fluency in French (and possibly add Spanish) and impart that on the boy.

I've ditched the whole daily planning thing and have a modified workbox system that is REALLY working nicely for us. I've been using it more to direct his play on days we don't do any dedicated learning. 6 boxes with a rainbow color patch velcro'd to the outside. On top of the drawers is his laminated sheet where he has to make his rainbow by completing each box. If I only fill 3 drawers, then his rainbow already has 3 colors completed (those boxes are empty). Then I have 3 other drawers with "Work with Mommy" patches. They're Sterlite 12"x12" stacking drawers... 3 drawers in a unit. They totally rock.

So that's where I'm at.

Thinking of incorporating some kind of art and music instruction... will have to look at the links in that blog entry. Thanks!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#27 of 55 Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Honestly, I have no clue what I am doing. I feel :
Me too . 's to you!

I doubt I'd get a whole day to MYSELF to plan out next year. I'll have to do it in bits & pieces.

#28 of 55 Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

We take for granted the rhythm of breathing: filling our lungs with air and emptying them again, drawing something from outside into us and then releasing something of ourselves (for we make the CO2!) back out into the world. But how aware are we of the way the soul breathes also-- taking in the content of the world though eyes, ears, etc., transforming it and releasing it again, maybe as a poem, a piece of knitting, a nice clean kitchen? This "soul breathing" goes on all the time and one can see the different rhythmic patterns in it.

--All Year Round, Christine Fynes-Clinton

#29 of 55 Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
We take for granted the rhythm of breathing: filling our lungs with air and emptying them again, drawing something from outside into us and then releasing something of ourselves (for we make the CO2!) back out into the world. But how aware are we of the way the soul breathes also-- taking in the content of the world though eyes, ears, etc., transforming it and releasing it again, maybe as a poem, a piece of knitting, a nice clean kitchen? This "soul breathing" goes on all the time and one can see the different rhythmic patterns in it.

--All Year Round, Christine Fynes-Clinton
Thank you AM this really *speaks* to me.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#30 of 55 Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM

DD is leaving for a month or so at my mom's, so I will have plenty of time to finish planning. I designed planner pages, and have laid out lessons for the first half of the year (16 weeks) in Latin, Math (probably at a slower pace than DD will want to take it; which is why I wrote in pencil), History, Geography, Heathen Studies, and Science. I need to add in more activities for science, and for Heathen Studies, but the outline of each week is there.

I still have phonics/reading, literature, memory work, and art (I want to use Drawing with Children) to plan.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page