Cursive First - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There was a thread around here not all that long ago about teaching your kids cursive rather than teaching printing then cursive. There were even resource links.

Of course, I can't find that now.

Can anybody help me out?

TIA

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2009, 01:38 PM

I know the thread you are talking about, but I don't have it handy.
Instead I can point you at some curriculums-
Cursive First is the one that we use. It's meant for Kindy or older students and is multisensory- they have tracing cards, have you sue a salt box, ect. It's also meant to go with spell to read and write, although you can use it on your own. http://www.swrtraining.com/id17.html
There's also New American Cursive. It's meant for Kindy +. You can buy it through the company or Memoria Press. I haven't used this one because I didn't like the handwriting, but it's supposed to be a simplified version of cursive.
Another one is from Queen Homeschool. It has a Primer and then Copybooks. She uses beautiful paintings in the books- I'm strongly considering these after Cursive First.

Some brief things about doing cursive first- no matter what program, it's easier for many kids. All lower case letters start in the same place- the baseline. There's no remembering where to start. Letter reversals are impossible because b and d and p and q are very different. Some people say that it helps with learning to read and spell because each word is a cohesive unit instead of single letters with spacing that can vary.

We started briefly with manuscript and switched to cursive recently. My 5 year old likes it better, finds it easier- and her handwriting is much, much clearer.

It's not the old thread, but I hope this helped a little!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 05-15-2009, 01:40 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...=cursive+first
Ah, ha! This thread, perhaps?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, thank you!

My mom actually taught me how to write in cursive first... then I got into kindergarten and got in all kinds of trouble for it... story for another time I guess.

My point is, it was easier for me, but it's really outside the norm for a lot of people, and I was really having a hard time finding ANYTHING.

So, again, thanks!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 PM

Yep, that was the thread. We have since started New American Cursive. I'm not crazy about how the letters are introduced (in alphabetical order). I kind of think it would be easier to introduce them in groups that are made in a similar manner. But I do prefer the font of NAC over any of the other programs, and it is specifically geared toward young children (i.e. 5-6 years). Specifically, I like that the F, T, Q, and Z and made in manuscript - so as to avoid confusion between the very similar F & T, and because most people never made the Q and Z in cursive again after learning them in 3rd grade. And as they say, the Z is more fun to make in manuscript for young children.

FWIW, it doesn't seem to bother my dd at all that the letters are introduced in alphabetical order. Her handwriting has improved dramatically in the last 2 months since we began NAC.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheelimama View Post
Yep, that was the thread. We have since started New American Cursive. I'm not crazy about how the letters are introduced (in alphabetical order). I kind of think it would be easier to introduce them in groups that are made in a similar manner. But I do prefer the font of NAC over any of the other programs, and it is specifically geared toward young children (i.e. 5-6 years). Specifically, I like that the F, T, Q, and Z and made in manuscript - so as to avoid confusion between the very similar F & T, and because most people never made the Q and Z in cursive again after learning them in 3rd grade. And as they say, the Z is more fun to make in manuscript for young children.

FWIW, it doesn't seem to bother my dd at all that the letters are introduced in alphabetical order. Her handwriting has improved dramatically in the last 2 months since we began NAC.

That was a huge factor in us choosing Cursive First- the letters are introduced by how they are formed, not alphabetical order. Interesting to see that it's not bothering your DD! At some point do they introduce the cursive forms of F,T, Q, and Z? :

Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
That was a huge factor in us choosing Cursive First- the letters are introduced by how they are formed, not alphabetical order. Interesting to see that it's not bothering your DD! At some point do they introduce the cursive forms of F,T, Q, and Z? :
No, I do not believe so. It's "modern" cursive. I know I personally never used the cursive forms of those letters again, so I don't have a problem with them not being introduced, but I can see where that would be a problem for others.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 PM

With cursive you also have the better choice of introducing the letter by it's sound rather than by it's name. My children learned the letter sounds with cursive, and now at 5 and 7 years old they are learning the alphabet via the old song.
Learning the sound the letter makes, instead of the name, is a great help when you start the path to reading. Just think about g, h, w, c, for example.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Here's a site where you can generate free worksheets to practice cursive (among other things). http://www.worksheetworks.com/englis...ndwriting.html

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)

User Tag List