Mothering Forum banner

Do I need a math book?

570 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  JesiLynne 
#1 ·
I was thinking that, for teaching DS 3rd grade, I'd need a handwriting book (to teach cursive writing) and a math book (possibly just a workbook rather than a textbook.)

I know I can find free handwriting pages online, but I'd need to print up lots of them for the amount of repetition he's going to need, and ink ins't cheap. Buying a cursive writing workbook probably makes more sense.

I was thinking I'd at least need the workbook for an outline of the topics covered in 3rd grade. But today I discovered that my local school district has a list of all the topics covered in 3rd grade math, available on their website. So now I'm wondering if I need to buy anything for math at all, other than pencils and blank paper or a new notebook. Could I take the list of math topics, and write up sample problems for him on a notebook page and have him do them, and fill in the gaps with computer games for more practice?

Or is that more trouble than it's worth? I do run the risk of forgetting to continue, and not covering everything we "should" during the school year. Just how much do math workbooks cost anyway? Is it really worth my trouble to try and do without one?

#2 ·
I've seen this math from the Learn NC website recommended quite a few times in various places. I haven't used it, but perhaps you could have him open the file (it's a PDF document, I think) and write the answers in his notebook. That way you don't waste tons of ink, but also don't have to make up your own and take the risk of discontinuing the lessons. Just a thought.

#3 ·
I didn't use a curriculum for first and second grade with my oldest. After awhile though, I felt like I was reinventing the wheel and discovered that it was easier to just use a book.

I think math was more fun when we didn't use curriculum because we used all games and manipulatives, so if you can pull it off I think that's great.
We still use lots of games and manipulatives, but have the curriculum as a base so we don't miss anything.

#4 ·
About how much do 3rd grade math workbooks cost?

It's worth it for peice of mind/another resource to use if it's like $5. If it's closer to $30, then I'll make do on my own (and invest the money into ink and print out pages online instead.)

#5 ·
It's really a question of do you want a math workbook? You don't need one for sure- so don't be pressured into it. But if you think it will guide you or be helpful then give one a try!

We like Singapore Math in our house...and we do a ton of hands on math games and activities that support what we're learning.

Depending on your style and approach it can be less work to follow a workbook instead of planning it yourself. You can always go your own pace and skip sections if need be.

#6 ·
Here is my advice, FWIW.

Buy a workbook. We use Miquon, which is like $5-6 a book.
I also just ordered Daily Math Practice, which is like $11 a book.

I used to say, "I am just going to make copies, or print these pages off..." and I had good intentions. But it is hard enough to get everything done in a week (just errands, meals, play dates, etc) without also having to print stuff off all the time. I didn't do it very much, and when I did, we ended up with loose piles of papers everywhere cluttering things up. The two were a bad combination for me!

IMO, it is SO much easier to say, be making dinner, and just be able say, "Hey, DD, want to go get your Miquon book and do a few pages with me at the bar while I watch these noodles?" or whatever.

We don't do many workbooks either, but we do do math and handwriting.

#7 ·
I like to use workbooks. They are usually fun and colorful, have word problems which DD loves, and they cover everything. Then I can tell what she has trouble with and fill in the blanks with written problems and such.
I bought a math workbook at Hastings for about $10, it covered all of 2nd grade. She is just now finishing it up and loves it.

#8 ·
So, do I have to order something online, or can any of these books be found in brick and mortar stores? Will I be likely to find stuff in "real" stores in, say, August, rather than May? I know I've seen preschool and kindergarten workbooks in places like Costco, but I'm not sure if I'm likely to find 3rd grade stuff there too.

#10 ·
Academic Book Services appears to have quite a few 3rd grade math options for $5 or less (plus s/h). Many appear to be older (early 90s) math textbooks. Using a textbook would give you a nice framework and would probably make things easier on you. Another idea is to ask the local elementary schools what they do with their old textbooks. Maybe they'd let you have one of their "discards."

#11 ·
You can find these books in brick and mortor, but I find it is cheaper to buy online, lots of great deals out there.

This is my fav site, it's like google for sites that sell books.

www.dealoz.com

there is also www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/

I would use a book. I love Saxon with all my heart, I also use Daily Math Practice as a supplelment for dd right now who needs extra reinforcement in a few areas, we are trying to to accelerated HS and get her through about 6 math books in a few years, so we are going to be skipping some parts that she already knows and reinforcing others.

I don't know if NYC has a 1/2 price book sellers, but I found Saxon Algebra 1/2 there for $9 which is a steal. I would look at any an every used book seller around you.

Hope that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.