She doesn't like it! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THanks again for the ideas and replies! Craft_madia_hero, that is kind of what we do...I will read her picks first and then read something I pick...at the very least it will bore her to sleep!
I may try to movie versions of Peter Rabbit, I saw those the other day at the store and was wondering about them. We did find a boxed set of Scholastic books on dvd which included lots of classics (29?) and from that sparked an interest in Harry the Dirty Dog (which we found at the thrift store!) and a few others that we hadn't read before.
Just to be clear, I absolutely DO let her pick what books to read. I would never deny her her chioce of books or take something away from her that she loves! I just want her to like other types of books IN ADDITION to the ones she loves now.
Elizawill, thanks for the suggestions, I believe we have two of those...but they may be different versions. Do you have a link to amazon so I can see what they look like? Thanks!
#32 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Elizawill, thanks for the suggestions, I believe we have two of those...but they may be different versions. Do you have a link to amazon so I can see what they look like? Thanks!
here are links.

A treasury of children’s literature: http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Child...2910314&sr=1-1

classic children's stories: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

the classic fairytale treasury: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Fairy-...ref=pd_sim_b_2

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#33 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

thanks! Those are different than what we have...I will have to try to find those you suggested. She actually does pretty well when there are pictures, so some of our classic book collections are working well atm since there are pictures on every other page or so. Off to look for those books!
#34 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 10:02 AM

the stories are very good & the pictures are lovely. some stories even make me cry (the matchstick girl is terribly sad). we love these books & you could get them all under $15 including shipping if you buy used at amazon. that's a great deal!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#35 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

woo hoo! I found them all on amazon...for less than $1 each! Yeah for amazon!:
#36 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Nice!

Sorry, I realize that was a realllly long post ^^ I meant it as a reassurance; it sounds like you're totally doing the right thing.

It's great to have a community of people to share with!

Happy and in love with my family!
#37 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

I just read the Read-Aloud Handbook, and it had studies of how all these adult book lovers (English teachers, librarians, professors, authors, etc) LOVED series like Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley High, Goosebumps, etc., as kids. And comic books, too-- that was like the #1 favorite as youths. So I wouldn't sweat it. Reading as something worthwhile, something that coveys fun stories, as something you do together-- that's supposed to be the biggest thing to create a skilled, avid reader later in life. And there are thousands of great books that I would enjoy more than Potter or Milne. We have lots of Barefoot Books, Dr. Seuss... I would check out the many lists like in this book or online, all over the place, for recs, if it would make you both more happy
#38 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

yeah you are right...I'm an avid reader now, and I read through the entire baby-sitters club series in 4-6 grades...
#39 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Banned

double post!
#40 of 42 Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Hey, I still skim The Baby-Sitter's Club when I am in the bookstore :
#41 of 42 Old 05-22-2009, 01:44 AM

If you want good, continuing support of moving into a CM lifestyle I'd check out the ambleside yahoo group.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#42 of 42 Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 AM

Another she's way to young to be starting those books. CM said not before 6. But you can be reading the books on the Year 0 list for these 2 years, to help her transition into books with meatier reading.

That's what I did with my son and it worked like a charm.
Every book on the Year 0 list was better than the one before.
Don't throw out your love for Charlotte Mason just wait until she's old enough.

I think that people sometimes make the mistake of starting a bright child earlier, but it's still too early.

Lots of nature study, outside time, and the Year 0 books!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page