Reading: Sight words? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is almost five and has now told me she'd like to start reading some. I went and bought the 100 easy lessons to read to your child book.

First, let me say, i DID NOT do phonics when I learned to read, so I'm looking at this book and going WTH? I'm not even sure if that book is officially phonics....but this is totally off point.

So say we do a lesson and we say "Mat." MMMMMAAAAAATTTTTT. And then we repeat it 100 times and my daughter is still looking at me like I have a horn growing out of my ear.

Finally, I say "It says "MAT. You hear it? MMMAAATTT? MAT!" And then she tells me she already knows the word mat and gives me a LOOK.

Then, I've found out in the past couple of weeks, that she's been learning sight words on her own, no help from me. So far I know for sure we have love, cat, no, zoo and pink.

I put off the 100 lessons book because I just don't think she's ready for that yet. But...since she seems to be picking up on sight words, should I work with her on those?

And, if I do work with sight words....uh....what do I do? Make flash cards with pictures? Get tattoos on my head of words such as DOG and MAT?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#2 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 AM

LOL! The horn growing out of your head just about cracked me up!

I didn't learn with phonics either, and I was an early reader. So doing phonics with my daughter is a little weird for me too. I've heard mixed reviews of the 100 lessons book---that it may not be very intuitive?

All I can say is HOP ON POP! and Dr. Seuss' ABCs. The more I learn, the more I realize that Dr. Seuss really was a genius....we read HOP hundreds of times and then one day she just read it to me (really looking at the words, not just reciting, you know?)

Oh, and Starfall, tho I wish there was more of it; we blew through level 1 really fast, and she's not yet comfortable enough to read the level 2 stuff.

Happy and in love with my family!
#3 of 13 Old 05-22-2009, 01:48 PM

We have a word box for sight words. It's a pretty little cardboard box that stationary came it, but you could use anything that appeals to her.

In the box are index cards with her words printed in black marker.

It's her box, she keeps it in her room. Whenever she learns a new word we make a big deal out of writing it on a card and adding it to her collection.

Sometimes she will take out all the words and make sentences on the floor.

I didn't care for the 100 easy lesson book either! It seemed very strange to me.
#4 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we played around with sight words today. Turns out she knows a couple extra ones I didn't realize (dog, red...) and I was even able, knowing what she knows, to get her to read a sentence: I love a pink pig.

I like the idea of a "word box." That way, if she's wanting to do this, she can go and look at the box....I have been putting pictures on the back (sun, clouds, a color) so that she can check them herself should she want to.

Of course, she made cards FOR ME, and since 1/2 of her letters are backwards and some of her words are too, I was like Hmm....uhh....dog? Cat? Pib?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#5 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 02:07 AM

I looked at the 100 Easy Lessons book at the library and I hated it, even though I absolutely think all children should be taught phonics and the spelling rules. (Yes, I really think ALL children should be taught those things.) If she's learning sight words on her own, then that's great and I'd definitely help her with it, but I would not neglect phonics forever. She might not be ready right now, but I really think at some point everyone needs to understand that the letter A makes the short a sound, the long a sound and the broad 'ah' sound, etc. Otherwise you can't read new words.

If you don't know what sounds letters make, then new words might as well be written in some code other than than the alphabet, for all the good seeing them on the paper will do you. If you can sound out a word you've never seen in print, you might recognize it and be able to move on, if you can't, then you're stuck trying to find it in the dictionary or guess based on context, which we all know is not always going to be accurate. I think many people never taught phonics eventually figure the letter sounds out without being taught it, but why leave it up to chance, you know?

So I'm not really clear on what you're trying to do, but it sounds like you're just sounding out a word. But does your daughter know what sounds the letters represent? If she doesn't, then what you're doing won't make any sense. If she does, then based on your description of what's happening, it sounds to me like she doesn't understand that you're putting the letters together to read the word. Knowing the word 'mat' isn't the same as being able to read the word 'mat' and maybe she's not clear that you're sounding it out based on the relationship between the printed letters and the sounds they make? That's what it sounds like based on your post, but I might be missing something.

Either way, I think eventually she should learn phonics, but I don't think helping her with sight words will hinder her in any way and I definitely don't think she has to learn phonics right now. And she might pick up phonics (which is really just the relationship between printed letters and the sounds they make) all on her own by doing sight words. Some people do.
#6 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 11:17 AM

I really love First Reader and Turbo Reader

www.firstreader.com

These books teach both phonics and sight words. My five-year-old loves them and has increased her reading ability dramatically by using them.
#7 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 PM

dd is 6 and also showing lots of organic interest and organic movement with reading. i also checked out 100 lessons and didn't buy, it just seemed un-fun and reading to me is fun!

looked at the firstreader.com and that looks promising!!
#8 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I always figured we'd do phonics and sight words-- even as an adult, though I was never "taught" phonics officially, I've had to sound out really big words just to understand/read them.

I just think she's not in a place to get it yet...which is great about homeschooling....we can try later, right? Until then, we'll keep trying sight words and I'll still show her how cat is really caaaaatttt.

#9 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 02:23 PM

I bought 100 lessons, and hate it, and WISH I had checked it out of the library first.

Phonics ARE valuable, though.

Try the Leapfrog Word Factory DVD - seriously, it's THE best letter-blending activity to help kids make that connection that letters blended together make up words!

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#10 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post

Try the Leapfrog Word Factory DVD - seriously, it's THE best letter-blending activity to help kids make that connection that letters blended together make up words!
We have these as well (letter factoy, word factory, storybooks) and they are terrific!!! My oldest learned all of her letters and letter sounds by watching these videos. They are quite entertaining, not boring and obnoxious like some kids' videos.
#11 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 PM

Can you build off some of the words she knows? Like if she knows cat, helping her see what's the same and what's different between cat and hat? Word families, I guess is the official way of talking about it Implicit phonics...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#12 of 13 Old 05-23-2009, 09:36 PM

my kids arent to this point yet, but i saw some other homeschool moms on another site discussing this..........they were using the Sight Words videos (can purchase on amazon) and they were using the Dolch sight word lists (goggle it).
#13 of 13 Old 05-24-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I always figured we'd do phonics and sight words-- even as an adult, though I was never "taught" phonics officially, I've had to sound out really big words just to understand/read them.
That's why I think a lot of people who weren't really taught phonics know phonics anyway. (And if someone taught you the letter sounds, then they did teach you some phonics, since that's all phonics really is anyway.) Your daughter might figure it out on her own at some point, if you just go with what works for her now. I think a lot of people do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page