Secular Astronomy Resource? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for an introductory text that doesn't feel work-booky and does not contain any religious references.

There are loads of astronomy books on Amazon, but I would really like to have all the information in one friendly resource instead of buying several and picking through them for the right info.

Something engaging, even cartoonish, but sound on the science--also touches on the myths associated with constellations.

Is that too much to ask? Anyone else been there and done that?

Please help, my dd (almost 6) is really interested, and I want this to be fun, natural, intuitive.

btw, we are probably not investing in a telescope for now, just naked eye observation. PBS Stargazer is our main resource which is fine, but the vids are very short and we'd like a book to help us delve in deeper.

Happy and in love with my family!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 AM

My 4.5 year old dd is excited about looking into our telescope, but I have a feeling she'd be disappointed by the tiny images. So I'm thinking we'll start out with binoculars. Hoping someone has some great books to suggest, we just got a few basic Usborne/Kingfisher/star gazing books for now.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
Old 05-24-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
I am looking for an introductory text that doesn't feel work-booky and does not contain any religious references.

There are loads of astronomy books on Amazon, but I would really like to have all the information in one friendly resource instead of buying several and picking through them for the right info.

Something engaging, even cartoonish, but sound on the science--also touches on the myths associated with constellations.

Is that too much to ask? Anyone else been there and done that?

Please help, my dd (almost 6) is really interested, and I want this to be fun, natural, intuitive.

btw, we are probably not investing in a telescope for now, just naked eye observation. PBS Stargazer is our main resource which is fine, but the vids are very short and we'd like a book to help us delve in deeper.

It's not a single "text" but I would highly recommend the Let's Read and Find Out series of books - they have quite a few on space and they are really well done and aimed right at that age group, but are not dumbed down. We also have the Reader's Digest Children's Atlas of the Universe which is excellent for my kids who love the photographs in this book, and Rey's Find the Constellations and The Stars which are also in heavy rotation. For really beautiful but simple introductory books on the mythology see if your library has Jacqueline Mitton's books Zoo in the Sky and Once Upon a Starry Night.

If you are looking for activities you might also want to check out the International Year of Astronomy website to see what kinds of events are happening near you (and browse their educational resources), and put the Great Backyard Star Count on your calendar for October.

hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

User Tag List