Mothering Forum banner

Homeschooling Curriculums

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  thefragile7393 
#1 ·
Though it's a long way off, I am curious to find different curriculums for homeschooling (I do like to plan early
). While doing my own research, I come across various Christian curriculums. I would not feel comfortable teaching Bible. I'm not an atheist, by any means. I just don't think that I could teach it. Are there any homeschool curriculums that are not Bible centered? Or are there curriculums that are multi religious?

Thanks in advance
:

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of what is out there is Christian based, but you can find secular stuff if you look hard enough. Science curricula include NOEO, REAL Science 4 Kids, R.E.A.L. Science..

History you can look at History Odyssey or Story Of The World. SOTW does have a slight Christian slant to it but it's easy to work around.

There's also Oak Meadow, Enki, and a few other full curriculums that are secular. You can also take a Christian curriculum and turn it religion free. I know with Sonlight it's easy to remove the bible portions in the early years and find a different science program to go with. A lot do Charlotte Mason without trouble. Just poke around, see what you can find.

#3 ·
We do Oak Meadow and it's definitely not Christian. Enki, like the PP mentioned, is great too! Definitely check those out!

I'm Christian myself but have no desire to go overboard with my kids. I feel like they'll pick what flows with them later. So a non-Christian curric was really important to me.

#5 ·
many curriculums that have bible can be left out easily. for example, many homeschoolers use popular methods like charlotte mason, classical, etc. and they omit any religious teachings. in fact, there are secular yahoo groups dedicated to helping you. here's a good link to help you find what you need: http://www.successful-homeschooling....urriculum.html hth.

#7 ·
Since it's a long way off, you have lots of time to think in terms of putting together a more individualized set of materials rather than buying one company's idea of what a curriculum should be. That would allow you to pick from sources that specializes in each subject. Take a look, for instance, at the FUN-Books catalog. You won't need much of anything to begin with that isn't already part of what you do with your child, and you'll be able to just bring in a few more things along the way as various subjects come up.

There are general guides you can refer to for seeing what would be taught in schools at certain times - like World Book's Typical Course of Study and Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School- but you have the wonderful luxury in homeschooling of being able to tailor everything to your child rather than tailoring your child to a program. An especially good book ahead of time would be Homeschooling, the Early Years, by Linda Dobson - it has input from lots of homeschoolers about their experiences with young children.

Lillian

#12 ·
Hmm, 1 post about a new "curriculum" that's just a repackaging of materials already out and drudges up an old thread? I've seen similar on other boards...

In response to a thread going on three years old, I would question how secular NOEO is. I also thought R.E.A.L. Science 4 Kids was neutral on topics like evolution. There are also a secular Sonlight yahoo group and a secular Charlotte Mason site. Intellego Unit Studies are secular if you'd like to create your curriculum with unit studies.

#13 ·
nice to see the link to the reviews of various curriculums, but they are all very outdated. i would guess that in the last 5-6 years many of these products have changed, or there are new options. i would LOVE to see new reviews of curriculum, would be very helpful.

#14 ·
Assuming you mean secular, my current favorite two are Beast Academy Math (currently only grade 3 available) and MCT (Michael Clay Thompson) Language Arts. Dd loves Island Level and I can see us continuing to Town Level. We also utilize Math Mammoth Light Blue Series (bought through Homeschoool Buyers Coop for less), Zaner Bloser for handwriting, How to Spell by EPS, and Modern Curriculum Press items like Spelling Workout and Phonics. We do have some lightly religious curricula or curricula from Christian companies that I alter as needed. (Learning Language Arts Through Literature Red Book, Classical Writing Primer and Aesop, and Story of the World 1.)

#15 ·
MCP (now owned by Pearson) Phonics is a very solid curriculum for elementary phonics. My experience is that kids learn by repeating skills over and over (not a bad thing). Their workbooks tend to be colorful and easy for the kiddies to write in. Secularhomeschool.com posts tons of listings and reviews about secular homeschool curriculum packages and individual subjects, too.

#16 ·
We love and have used the K12 curriculum from the beginning of my now Senior (graduating with a 4.06) and Sophomore. Very engaging curriculum and you can use it independently as a homeschooler or you can enroll in one of the charter schools that uses this curriculum depending what options are in your state. Either way, the curriculum is great.

#17 ·
If anyone wants to drown their brain in available curricula for every subject under the sun, I'd suggest ordering a catalog from Rainbow Resource. Their catalog is mammoth & will keep you busy researching.
orngbiggrin.gif

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

Hmm, 1 post about a new "curriculum" that's just a repackaging of materials already out and drudges up an old thread? I've seen similar on other boards...

In response to a thread going on three years old, I would question how secular NOEO is. I also thought R.E.A.L. Science 4 Kids was neutral on topics like evolution. There are also a secular Sonlight yahoo group and a secular Charlotte Mason site. Intellego Unit Studies are secular if you'd like to create your curriculum with unit studies.
NOEO is neutral. I am religious but prefer neutral science materials and NOEO fits the bill easily.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.