Art ideas for cultural appreciation ect. (and robots for kids, lol) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-21-2004, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amy loves exploring things through art and recently has stumbled across the idea of rock paintings. Anyone know how to paint rocks? What type of paint? Anyhting go on on top of the paint? I also think she would love some ideas for different cultural art projects (that art morons like myself could facilitate )that we could try.

Also, am I nuts to try and teach her about different cultures via their art? She seems interested but I wonder if it is going to be a little hard for me to handle....

Sorry for the ramble. I am trying to also talk to Amy about the house work robot she is designing. She wanted me to tell all of you about how she wants to build a robot who will do all of the chores in the house so none of us have to. It will have a shrinker and enlarger button, it will eat garbage like the monster on Monsters inc., it will have a super vacume that moves on its own, it will respond to voice commands and it will have a tail like a monkey.

She made me promise to tell you all that so forgive the off topic ramble

:LOL
#2 of 3 Old 01-21-2004, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are several books on cultural art -- the type of thing where the child (and maybe adult) make a project that is representative of art popular in a given culture. I think that's what you're talking about, right? One that I've seen is Mary Ann Kohl's Global Art: Activities, Projects and Inventions from Around the World (I'm a sucker for her stuff...there are other books out there that do the same thing, BTW, this is just the only one for which I can come up with a title at the moment). A children's librarian might be able to help you. I'm sure there are websites about this, too.

For what it's worth, you can do the same thing with math -- explore math via different cultures, and different cultures via math.

I've never been big on painting rocks myself. I'm pretty sure you'll find directions at www.familyfun.com I remember seeing an article on it there.

As for the robot, good for her. My dd's big plan is to acquire a magic wand which will enable her to do all the housework. Of the two, Amy's plan sounds like the more likely to work.

Gail
#3 of 3 Old 01-21-2004, 09:48 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
I second the recommendation for "Global Art".

As for rock painting, either tempera or acrylic would be a good choice for a young child. If it's going to be subjected to water, seal tempera with a spray coating of acrylic or polyurethane (do this outside). Acrylic doesn't need a coating but it will help it resist chipping if it's going to get heavy use of some sort.

We like Liquitex Basics as a good kid-friendly acrylic paint.

A great family resource book that would act as a companion to a survey of world culture through art would be DK's "How People Live".

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page