Special Needs (esp. dyslexia) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So, holy cow, I am out of my familiar territory! I have a 40 year history with unschooling (I astounded myself when I typed that, but it is true!). Anyway, philosophically, I am about as radical as they get. But YoungSon, 13, with autism and dyslexia and some major anxiety stuff needs something different. I have him set up with a tutor who specializes in dyslexia, and she is making gradual progress - he reads at maybe 3rd grade level (with difficulty) and struggles with writing. He REALLY wants to read fluently, and be able to do grade level work, and attend public school for high school. We have investigated so many possibilities - private schools that specialize in learning disabilities, online charter schools if they could add adaptive technology (voice recognition software, etc.), public school with an IEP, and various curriculum alternatives. If I read to him, he retains near 100%, but he wants to work more independently. He absorbs much from museums and factory type tours, and really has a well-rounded education. He can speak intelligently on more subjects than most of his peers. But he really wants to go to college, and reading would certainly make that easier!

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas, no matter how far out of the box? I feel like we have run up against a wall, but I'm sure we haven't thought of everything.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#2 of 5 Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also would love to hear from anyone who has specifically a child/teen with severe dyslexia. My soon to be 17 yr. old son cannot read well at all. He's had tutoring and I've worked with him extensively. He also has some anxiety issues which hinders any type of school type setting outside the home. We told him a year ago until he is truly ready to tackle his reading/writing disabilty life would be more of a struggle than it needs to be. We cannot force him to learn,you know?
He is a brilliant young man,very intelligent,and has a memory that astounds me. It all fits in with a dyslexic profile. He has been homeschooled/unschooled his whole life.

I wish you all the best mamarhu!
#3 of 5 Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, anxiety is what keeps school from being an alternative here too. And autism makes the anxiety difficult to manage. And dyslexia complicates the autism. And so it goes (thanks to Kurt Vonnegut for the obscure reference).

Good luck to you too, Kim, and update if you can!

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#4 of 5 Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 PM

You know...I've often wondered if we are looking at some level of autism also.
He's just so...quirky? He always has been. Very rigid,almost obsessive about certain things,socially uncomfortable unless it is familiar. For instance,if we go to Target to buy him something he needs he literally is inches behind me trying to get me to hurry up so we can go home. He also is uncomfortable with affection,very wooden and awkward.

If you have any wisdom you can share please don't hesitate.
And by the way, a Kurt Vonnegut fan here.
#5 of 5 Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 AM

Not sure how much I can help. I know mothering had an autism issue a couple years back and it talked about how dyslexia could be on the spectrum...

This only hit home because I'm dyslexic and the list of issues sounded like me ( the article I mentioned...I'll see if I can dig it up) and being different.

If it were me Id find anyway to make things hands on / interactive as possible. I can read and write but often putting things ( like this) back out onto paper is hard ( input / output) so if you ask me in person ( like now) Id be able to give you a better response then typing this LOL

With college , Id work now on getting a laptop set up ( you often can do this yourself for vary little) , a way to record his classes , a way to get tests and homework done either with someone reading for him OR the computer reading it to him. I wouldn't give up on him learning to read or write but wouldn't focus on it , it will take a life time to get to where most are...but just often means that your more advanced in other areas I have days I sit and words look wrong and jumbled and days they don't , I'm sure just learning to read and write would be just as difficult.

HTH some

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page