Explode the Code books question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-24-2004, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone on here have any experience using the Go for the Code for Explode the Code books for reading? I'm thinking of buying them but would like to hear about them first.

These are what I'm talking about:
http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...N&nav_search=1

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 8 Old 01-24-2004, 12:49 PM

We use Explode the Code for phonics. I started using one of the preschool books in the series, but ds#2 wasn't having it, so I waited a few months and then resorted to my own method of teaching him to write letters. I had already taught ds#1 to read and write without method books or workbooks, so I was confident of my ability, but if you are uncomfortable teaching beginning reading/writing skills it might work for you. There's nothing wrong with the preschool books, they just didn't work for us. The regular ETC series is really great, though, and we DO use those.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#3 of 8 Old 01-25-2004, 01:22 AM

A lot of people like Explode the Code series.

I would buy just one workbook to see how it goes. Your child is still young and might not sit down for that type of instruction.

Also reading and penmanship (writing) are two different skills. You can learn to read with our writing. So you might want some other non-writing methods to teach reading. There is no reason to jump to work books to teach reading.

“Phonics Pathway” is a good reading instruction book with something like “Bob Books”

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J01phonicsgames.html

Some more listings of programs you might want in investigate

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/reading.php
#4 of 8 Old 01-25-2004, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We used 100 easy lessons (well about 60 of them anyway) and while we had sucess with it, I wasn't thrilled with the program. We were however impressed with explode the code and will try it out with our next one probably.

We use a seperate writing program (Handwriting without tears - which is altogether different from anything else) so I am wondering if ETC is too handwriting invilved or if it will work without too much handwriting. Does any oneknow?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 03:48 PM

Marsupialmom, That is a great point about reading and writing being 2 separate skills. My kids learned to read using refrigerator magnets and letter blocks at age 3, they started learning to write later than that practicing lines and circles on preschool-ruled paper. We use ETC for phonics rules as a pre-spelling skill.

ETC IS writing intensive. My recollection of the first book in the series is that it starts with drawing straight and wavy lines between the lines from left to right. Most children are ready to read before their fine-motor skills are matured enough to write.

~ Amy ~

Homeschooling Mom of

ds 16, ds14, ds9, dd6

#6 of 8 Old 01-26-2004, 09:54 PM

I have a child that loves them. I do not think they are writing -intensive- compared to the other stuff out there, they do have prewriting things like X ing out and circling in the first books and like the other poster said lining 'left to write'

I like the fact that they are black & white and not visually distracting. The sight vocabulary goes along with the I can read stuff from sonlight. If you want me to take a few pics so you can see what the pages look like I'd be happy to. I just got a pile of scratch and dent stuff from sonlight's clearance sale today so have some blank ones.

pm me if you want me to email a pic or two
#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2004, 04:19 PM

My kids like the Get Ready, Get Set and Go for the Code books. They weren't too fond of the books 1-8. It was more busywork than anything else. I switched my son to MCP Phonics and he was much happier.

Kim
Homeschool mom of 7
#8 of 8 Old 02-02-2004, 01:13 AM

Happy Phonics is a great program to use with the Explode the Code series, they work really well together!

http://www.lovetolearn.net/new_searc...so?itemID=7073

We have so much fun with this program, it is really neat!

Krista

Salihah סליחה صالحه Mama to four boys, another due Dec 4th.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page