Why was Tom Sawyer banned? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd-9 and I started reading Tom Sawyer together tonight at her request. It got me wondering why TS was banned from many schools (all schools???)? Does anyone know? Thanks.
#2 of 6 Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 PM

I googled and from what I could find it's due to PC concerns, I'm guessing the 'n' word appearing in it has something to do with the move.

I don't agree with it being removed from schools at all though, I think presented to the right age group it could serve as a snapshot of how things WERE in America at that time without being seen as condoning the things IN the book. Our history is our history, we can't, and shouldn't, censor out the unpretty and unpolitically correct things. We should remember them and learn from them.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#3 of 6 Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 PM

In our school they said it (and Huck Finn) was racist. Which I thought was very counter-intuitive. Makes me wonder whether they've even read the books. That's like saying "To Kill the Mockingbird" is racist because the black man dies in the end.
#4 of 6 Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 AM

It might be fun to read other "banned books" with her, too!
#5 of 6 Old 06-30-2009, 09:17 AM

I imagine it's because of the n word and some of the attitudes expressed by characters.

IMO, it's the opposite of a racist book, but I still cringe at the language as it's been beaten into my head that you never, never, never say "N___" to anybody or about anybody. :
#6 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
It might be fun to read other "banned books" with her, too!
My boys each get a bnanned book (hard cover) for their birthday and one of their Christmas gifts. I write in them about why th book was banned and WHAT it actually can teach us -- for example Huck Fin is "racerist" but Huck and isn't the AA's Name Jimmy or something I can't rmember -- form a good freindship NOT based on race ....

When they are old enough to handle some of these books as read a louds (6 adn 8 i think to start) we will use banned books as our family read abouts for discussion, also as we choose books for differnt units we will not shy away from them.

I feel the books teach 2 lessons -- the lesson of the book and also what they say about people who felt the needed to be banned.

cappuccinosmom -- I agree -- but i still feel that, more than anything else, means it needs to be taught.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page