Anyone else doing Ancient History this school year? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forum...d.php?t=112051

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Here's some of the series of activity guides we have access to through our library-

Footsteps in Time- has books available with activities, crafts, and history in these titles: The Egyptians, The Greeks, The Romans, The Vikings, The Rainforest Indians, The Plains People,The Inuit, and The Aztecs (some of these look very useful for the Ancients)

Spend the Day in Ancient Rome
" " Ancient Greece
" " Ancient Egypt

Ralph Masiello's Ancient Egypt Drawing Book

Classical Kids an activity guide to life in Ancient Greece and Rome by Laura M. Carlson (she has also authored other guides for different time periods, they look cool too!)

Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors
Ancient Israelites and their Neighbors
Projects about Ancient Greece all by Marian Broida (she also has project books about other time period topics such as Projects about Westward Expansion and Projects about Plantation Life)

haven't checked these out yet, but will- Ancient Athens on Five Dracmas a Day and Ancient Rome on Five Denarii a Day by Philip Matyszak

blogging.jpg

Old 07-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Our library doesn't have any of these (even with inter library loan)

I'm a little overwhelmed right now at all the fun looking books but add it up and it's a small fortune.

We'll figure it out but I hope others have better luck at the library than I am.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth View Post

I'm a little overwhelmed right now at all the fun looking books but add it up and it's a small fortune.

We'll figure it out but I hope others have better luck at the library than I am.
That's too bad! Really though you can do it just as good without them. There are lots of things on the internet for free, it just takes some poking around! Also you might want to look at the Evan Moor History Pockets for Ancient Civilizations. For like $15 you'd have activities to make and fill pockets for -
  • Ancient Mesopotamia
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Greece
  • Ancient Rome
  • Ancient China
  • Ancient Aztec World
(you do need to be able to make copies of some of the things, even if using it as a consumable workbook rather than reproducible)

I'll share more internet freebies as I find time, okay? I'll start a separate post and add to it as I can.

blogging.jpg

Old 07-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Were doing formal curriculum for the first time. We are doing History Odyssey, Ancients. I like how indepth it can be, but can also easily skip parts.
Loving this thread for ideas.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:10 PM

Thanks MissRubyandKen...I'll keep my eye out for that.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks MissRubyandKen...I'll keep my eye out for that.
Mary-Beth- do you have anything like the 'spines' to work with? If so if you let me know what you are using it could be helpful in knowing what links to post. If not I have some good links that could serve as a 'spine' if you and your child(ren) don't mind reading online vs. from a book.

blogging.jpg

Old 07-05-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
I'll have to see if my library has those games for loan. I can totally see ds getting into them. I'm anticipating Ancient Egypt eagerly, lol.

This site has some great free lapbook mini books and notebooking pages on Ancient Egypt, as well as many others.
Good luck with the games! They are huge fun Totally checking out the lap/notebooking pages... they make for fun history notebooks.

Quote:

Our library is teh suck too Try amazon though, sometimes you can score used ones for super cheap. I went ahead and bought the UILE and SOTW + Ancient egyptians and their neighbors new (mainly because I'm outside the US and wanted them direct from amazon since I can trust their service history) Oh, and I bought the history pocket that MissRuby mentioned.. it's fun and breaks up the reading time with something active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
I'll share more internet freebies as I find time, okay? I'll start a separate post and add to it as I can.
I'll keeping my eyes open for that one too I'll have a look through my massive pile o bookmarks and see if I have any cool ones to add.

I'm also supplementing with documentaries and movies as appropriate... there are some COOL doco's on Egypt and surely other historical cultures too.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

I'll start with Ancient Egypt. Africa will be my next unit to plan.

********** Museums & Art Gallery has free resources for Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. Pdf files for Egypt include Egyptian Timeline, Mehen Game, Seega Game, and Egyptian Puzzle. Also if you scroll further down near the bottom under Schools Loan Service there are two pdf files Egyptian Funerary Artefacts and Egyptian Everyday Arefacts. These have pictures and information about objects as well as worksheets.

British Museum has a nice website dedicated to Ancient Egypt. You can also explore their collection by searching for Egypt.

National Gallery of Art has an online resources page for Ancient Egypt. The family guide pdf has nice pictures and information about the gods, as well as a few activities, including making a cartouche.

This site has some nice lapbooking minibooks and notebooking pages for Ancient Egypt as well as others. Even if you aren't into lapbooking or notebooking the kids would have fun making some of the minibooks or the notebooking pages could serve as report form or storybook covers.

This site has info and some neat downloads, like bookmarks and a heiroglyphic translation chart, also some activities.

I'll start with Ancient Egypt. Africa will be my next unit to plan.

********** Museums & Art Gallery has free resources for Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome. Pdf files for Egypt include Egyptian Timeline, Mehen Game, Seega Game, and Egyptian Puzzle. Also if you scroll further down near the bottom under Schools Loan Service there are two pdf files Egyptian Funerary Artefacts and Egyptian Everyday Arefacts. These have pictures and information about objects as well as worksheets.

British Museum has a nice website dedicated to Ancient Egypt. You can also explore their collection by searching for Egypt.

National Gallery of Art has an online resources page for Ancient Egypt. The family guide pdf has nice pictures and information about the gods, as well as a few activities, including making a cartouche.

activityvillage website has quite a bit of neat things to print. For the Ancient Egypt theme- notebooking pages, coloring pages, a word search, and a printable alphabet and numbers.

This site has some nice lapbooking minibooks and notebooking pages for Ancient Egypt as well as others. Even if you aren't into lapbooking or notebooking the kids would have fun making some of the minibooks or the notebooking pages could serve as report form or storybook covers.

This site has info and some neat downloads, like bookmarks and a heiroglyphic translation chart, also some activities.

Here are some black outline picture puzzles to print out, color, and cut into puzzle pieces if your child likes making puzzles.

Ideas, patterns, and instructions for making Egyptian costumes.

The Cleveland Museum of Art has a few activities, some games online.

Egyptian cat maze

Nearly Free Homeschooling has a unit on Egypt, as well as others and notebooking and lapbooking resources.

Musuem of Fine Arts in Boston has the pdf file Digging Up the Past with info and some activities.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art has several resources, some pdfs and online too.

Canon has a papercraft pyramid and sphinx to print and make for those who feel adventurous or patient enough for it. Also some stunning pictures of Egypt in their photo gallery.

The British Museum has some interesting looking resources here on Ancient Egypt, as well as other Ancient Civilizations.

The National Gallery of Art has online resources here you can search, as well as free resources to loan here, you just pay return shipping at media mail prices. They have resources for other civilizations besides Egypt too.

Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History is pretty cool.

Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archeology has several free resources and images for educational purposes.

A site for kids about mummification and burial in Ancient Egypt. There are also some activities.

blogging.jpg

Old 07-06-2009, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=MissRubyandKen;14035060]Mary-Beth- do you have anything like the 'spines' to work with?

Well I plan on getting SOTW -- not sure if I'll get it on CD to listen to or just the book.
I'd like to get the History Odyssey program. I think it looks good. And there are several books they suggest. The History Pockets (that you also suggested) and Ancient Egyptians & their Neighbors and Ancient Israelites & their Neighbors, Life in Ancient Greece coloring book, and Ancient China treasure chest.

I'm considering A Child's History of the World, V.M. Hillyer but I think it's out of print??? I'd have to track done a copy and they look pretty pricey.

My kids actually like books better than the computer but we could do some stories on the screen. Thanks for any suggestions/feedback on the books I mentioned.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM

WOW! Thanks for all these resources!!:
Old 07-06-2009, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We'll be getting back into Ancient History in August 2010. This year we're in Year 4 or Modern History.

We do use Story of the World. Ds and dh both like it and they do it together. I love Story of the World for the reading lists in the activity guide.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

I found two more activity guide series at my library while searching Ancient Egypt.

Make it Work! Ancient Egypt by Andrew Haslam and Alexandra Parsons

Step into Ancient Egypt by Philip Steele

blogging.jpg

Old 07-07-2009, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

The description of this book sounds delicious. I reserved it today and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Hands-on ancient people Vol. I; Art activities about Mesopotamia, Egypt and Islam by Yvonne Young Merrill
description:
This beautifully illustrated book features art activities based on museum collections of Mesopotamian, Egyptian, and Islamic culture, with early architectural and design styles adapted to paper, commercial tiles, and other materials. Good-luck charms, calligraphy, and traditional containers augment the simplified but authentic motifs found throughout the Moslem world. Children use paper, markers, and glue to reproduce the brilliant mosaic work of the Babylonians. They learn to create a wheel, board games, the ziggurat, and other objects pioneered in the ancient world. Full page color photographs, inviting illustrations, a history of each artifact, and stories, bring long vanished cultures to life.

blogging.jpg

Old 07-07-2009, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

I had an idea for an Ancient Egypt art project today while looking at a pdf file from ********** Museums & Art Gallery. The file titled Egyptian Everyday Life Artefacts toward the bottom of the page under heading School Loans Service. On page 7 of that file is a picture of an Egyptian Faience Bead Necklace. While looking at it I thought it would be neat to replicate using paper beads. I've never made paper beads, but knew it could be done, and the look of this necklace I think would be perfect to replicate with paper. So I searched for a good site with information on making paper beads and this one looks good. Time intensive possibly, I'm not sure, but I think dd will enjoy doing this. I just happen to have plenty of paper and mod podge already. These should turn out quite sturdy. We once did a craft making a rolled up piece of cardstock into a wand using mod podge and they've been played with tons. Ds turned his into a little sword instead of a wand, lol, and it's been banged around by himself and my nephew quite a bit.

blogging.jpg

Old 07-08-2009, 02:47 PM

I'm going to start with this curriculum, using the STOW branch, and the prehistory option.

http://bringinguplearners.com/mosaic/

We're going to DC and the Smithsonian in a couple of weeks, so we're starting with a field trip!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:04 PM

OK I'm loving some of the ideas I'm getting here! I was going to go chronological in ancients and then add a bit of geography based on what we are studying in history at that time period, but now I'm thinking I may go based on geography to study ancients instead. I know my oldest dd wants to study ancient egypt, so we may start with that (after we talk about the 7 continents and learn their names and where they are that is) and then move to a different region after we've learned all they want to about egypt. That's a really cool idea! I still have 2 months or so until we start history anyway, so I may be reworking my entire plan.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

User Tag List