Anyone else doing Ancient History this school year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 07-01-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning for us to do Ancient History this school year. Anyone else preparing for the Ancients? Want to share the resources you're using?

I know a lot of people use SOTW, but we tried it and the kids weren't enjoying it. For now I'm not planning on using it, but we may try it again at some point. I've decided to do this geographically rather than chronologically. So we'll be spending a chunk of time on each continent and there will be some reading, science, writing, art, spelling, and copywork (which will be one sentence with the meaning of a vocabulary word twice a week) related to the place we're studying. I'm planning to incorporate lapbooking and notebooking. I'm considering starting a timeline as well. I've never done this and I need to investigate the idea further.

blogging.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 47 Old 07-01-2009, 12:21 PM

We are. We're planning SOTW, but we're also using the Usborne internet linked encyclopedia and the Kingfisher History encyclopedia.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#3 of 47 Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM

Yep. We're trying SOTW. This will be our first year using a more structured approach to homeschooling, so I'm trying to get my bearings. I haven't figured it all out yet, but I think we'll be supplementing with a number of things on hand (Living Long Ago: Homes and Houses; Story of Painting; Who Were the Romans?; and a ton of books on Egypt we've collected since my son became obsessed) . I also want to pick up a book on Greek myths. I'd prefer d'Aulaire's, but I'm not sure if it'll be too advanced for my older son. I'm still trying to figure out what else I need...

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#4 of 47 Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM

Have you seen Story of the Romans, Story of the Greeks by H.A. Guerber? They are public domain and can be read online, for free.

Also, G.A. Henty writes wonderful historical tales. I'm not sure how far back in history they go, though...

Augustus Caesar's World by Genevieve Foster talks about the times and events of that era.

Caefi
#5 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 AM

We did the Ancients this year--we're still finishing them up, actually, and haven't moved through Rome yet. These are some resources that were really valuable to me:

Hands-on activities--Classical Kids; An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome, by Laurie Carlson. Chicago Review Press

General History--The Greek News/The Egyptian News/The Stone Age News, by Anton Powell and Philip Steele. Candlewick Press

The Usborne Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece and The Usborne Internet-linked Encyclopedia of the Roman World

Fiction: Boy of the Pyramids, which is out of print, apparently, now, but is available from this website:here This is a mystery, but very gentle and quite satisfying to read.

Detectives in Togas, and Mystery of the Roman Ransom, both by Henry Winterfeld. A little more exciting than Boy of the Pyramids, but not too upsetting for my six-year-old.

We started with the Usborne Greek Myths, but my DD was able to tackle D'Aulaire by the end of the year. The Usborne book is well done, if you decide to go that route.

There is, of course, the wonderful series by Rick Riordan, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, which is contemporary fiction, but has the Greek gods and goddesses as characters, and is heavily based on Greek mythology. It's not history, but my DD enjoyed it very much as a fun add-on to the ancient topics. It makes the many characters of mythology come to life.

Ancient history is a great year! I'm having a hard time leaving...
#6 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 AM

Geographically is a cool idea That'd be entirely too much organizing for me though lol, so I'm using history odyssey ancients lvl 1 with my kiddo. HO uses the Usborne Internet linked encyclopedia of world history (you do NOT want to know the typo that just ocurred with that word lol), SOTW, Ancient Egyptians and their neighbors and has a lot of other supplemental reading you can choose to do. It is more chronological, although there are some overlaps apparently.

He developed a love of all things ancient Egypt after a bit of an obsession with a computer game called Luxor... then the Mayans after Zuma... and the Vikings after Age of Mythology lol (see a pattern here?) I figured the games sparked the interest, might as well follow it!

We've done lapbooking before and the boys thought it was cool, and I've just stumbled upon notebooking and have printed out some freebie Egypt pages to go with where we are in HO

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#7 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 10:48 AM

we've tried SOTW as well, and we disliked it. it was incredibly boring for her, but she was 6. i'm considering trying it again though (in the fall she'll be 8), but this time we'll use the CD to listen to the stories & incorporate the activity book. i'm still undecided though. i'm really flip flopping back and forth between SOTW & simply creating my own curriculum using a lot of biographies and living books (which wouldn't follow a chronological sequence at all). i have no idea what i'll decide.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#8 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for sharing! I'm rubbing my hands together greedily over here at all the new suggestions to look into, lol. Unfortunately and suprisingly my library doesn't have the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History. Currently I'm not budgeting to spend anymore, so I really need to use the library as much as possible. They do have some good books I'm planning on skipping around in. It seems they all go chronologically, which is fine, but I really think geographically will spark more of an interest for dd, so skipping around in them it is. So these will be like our 'spines'-

DK First Atlas

DK History The Definitive Visual Guide From the Dawn of Civilization to the Present Day

The Usborne Book of the Ancient World

The Illustrated History of the World From the Big Bang to the Third Millennium

Oxford Atlas of World History From the Origin of Humanity to the Year 2000

A Child's Eye View of History by Fiona MacDonald

I'm not sure if I'll use any of these or not, the others are so nice- The Illustrated History of the World Vol. 1 Prehistory and the First Civilizations also possibly if we get interested Vol. 2 Eastern Asia and Classical Greece & Vol. 3 Rome and the Classical West by J. M. Roberts

And maybe- Cooking Up World History by Marden/Barchers (I need to look at this one better, if not a similar substitute) and The Usborne Round the World Cookbook

gtg bb later to post more

blogging.jpg

#9 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 PM

We are doing ancients this year too. I have SOTW 1 and 2 for us to use, and we're going to keep a notebook binder for the geography part we'll do while lapbooking the actual history portions of it. The notebook will be added to for many years hopefully, since I'm just doing K and 1st grade we're keeping it very basic by learning the continent each country is and marking a couple of landmarks that we learn about on the country pages we'll create (in the future we'll add history and other goodies to the countries' pages) Other than that, we'll use whatever resources we find online free and at the local library.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#10 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
We are doing ancients this year too. I have SOTW 1 and 2 for us to use, and we're going to keep a notebook binder for the geography part we'll do while lapbooking the actual history portions of it. The notebook will be added to for many years hopefully, since I'm just doing K and 1st grade we're keeping it very basic by learning the continent each country is and marking a couple of landmarks that we learn about on the country pages we'll create (in the future we'll add history and other goodies to the countries' pages) Other than that, we'll use whatever resources we find online free and at the local library.
Are you making your own lapbook and notebook pages, did you buy them, or did you find some free online?

I did buy the History Pockets Ancient Civilizations, so we'll see if the kids enjoy that. I've also found a lot of free things online at Homeschool Launch and Homeschool Share, as well as some blogs and random sites. I think once we have the hang of it we'll probably make some things too. I can post some links if you're still looking for things.

blogging.jpg

#11 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
Are making your own lapbook and notebook pages, did you buy them, or did you find some free online?

I did buy the History Pockets Ancient Civilizations, so we'll see if the kids enjoy that. I've also found a lot of free things online at Homeschool Launch and Homeschool Share, as well as some blogs and random sites. I think once we have the hang of it we'll probably make some things too. I can post some links if you're still looking for things.

I'm doing a combination of free stuff and making my own. I have a friend who is the QUEEN of lapbooking in our hs group, and she's been giving me lessons on how to make my own lapbooking stuff for when I can't find freebies, and she gave me a couple CDs of notebooking pages she made for her homeschool (she's got 5, 3 that she's teaching) Most of what I'm getting is off Homeschool Share (and some of my friend's stuff is available there too) I'm pretty much hoping to just wing it, I've only done a couple lapbooks last school year with preschoolers since dd1 was in public, and I am not really that sure how it will all work out. If this doesn't work, then we'll fall back onto Sonlight core K (which I have already but I just don't feel ready for it)

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#12 of 47 Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
I'm doing a combination of free stuff and making my own. I have a friend who is the QUEEN of lapbooking in our hs group, and she's been giving me lessons on how to make my own lapbooking stuff for when I can't find freebies, and she gave me a couple CDs of notebooking pages she made for her homeschool (she's got 5, 3 that she's teaching) Most of what I'm getting is off Homeschool Share (and some of my friend's stuff is available there too) I'm pretty much hoping to just wing it, I've only done a couple lapbooks last school year with preschoolers since dd1 was in public, and I am not really that sure how it will all work out. If this doesn't work, then we'll fall back onto Sonlight core K (which I have already but I just don't feel ready for it)
How cool for you to have such a great friend willing to help! Thank her for me would you? Let her know its so appreciated when people contribute to sites like Homeschool Share .

blogging.jpg

#13 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 02:49 PM

We are in the Ancients right now. We school year round and should be moving to next time frame in January

So I'm in.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#14 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 05:23 PM

Resource suggestions from www.tanglewoodeducation.com

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/bksha.htm

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 05:26 PM

www.brainpop.com You can pay for a subscription or just check for free movies.

Here is current Social Studies list:
http://www.brainpop.com/socialstudies/seeall/

#16 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 05:27 PM
#17 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Books and activity books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=-oB...nt+egypt+pcket

http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Promise...rs0#height=174

http://www.amazon.com/Preparing-Hear...rs0#height=190

http://www.amazon.com/Tapestry-Grace...rs0#height=190

http://www.abookintime.com/ancients/ancientworld.html

#18 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 05:58 PM

On the Shores of the Great Sea by MB Synge (free online)

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.ph...tory=_contents

#19 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 PM

Scroll to History. Many free selections.

http://www.mainlesson.com/displaybooksbygenre.php

#20 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM

http://oldfashionededucation.com/worldhistory.htm

#21 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 06:09 PM

http://oldfashionededucation.com/greeceandrome.htm

http://oldfashionededucation.com/historicalfiction.htm

#22 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 PM

http://astore.amazon.com/heartofwisd...g=UTF8&node=82

#23 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM

http://astore.amazon.com/heartofwisd...g=UTF8&node=20

#24 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks AngelBee for all the links to check out! There's so many, it may take me awhile.

blogging.jpg

#25 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

We had started a unit on the polar regions last year, so I finished planning for that. But dd would like to start this year with Australia, so right now I'm planning that unit. I think I'd like to study the modern culture and landmarks a bit with the geography. So while I'm planning to focus on the Ancient History of the location, it may not be strictly, because I feel sometimes a certain point in history is reflected and important to studying cultures and landmarks. I'd also like to touch on world religions, but not delve too deeply into them unless it sparks an interest with one of the kids. They're 7 and 9, so still young and I want to expose them to things, but also keep it at a level where they will be interested and enjoy themselves.

So is everyone else going to study the Ancients chronologically? Where are you starting? What's your jumping off point? What will your first location be? Mesopotamia? Is anyone planning to survey prehistory first? The books I'm looking at are dating evidence of humans in Australia at 40,000 BC. I'm not Christian, so forgive me for not being sure how anyone who is will be studying these topics. I'm not sure when Christians as a group believe history started, ie how old the earth is. I've briefly went over different views about this with the kids, but we haven't done prehistory in detail at all. I was considering going over it again very briefly, but may just skip it altogether for now. All I can do is tell them others views because honestly I have no deeply held conviction one way or the other. They've had more exposure to the idea of evolution, just through daily life, reading books, watching tv, listening to others talk, etc.

I'm thinking I may have bit off more than I can chew with all this planning, lol. We'll see how it goes!

blogging.jpg

#26 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 07:58 PM

For us, we started with the Creation of the world. I am Christian, so I was using the Bible as a guide. Then I pretty much have been going chronological order. Makes it easier for me. I tend to overdo so I wanted to have some sort of skeleton idea to follow

#27 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Geographically is a cool idea That'd be entirely too much organizing for me though lol, so I'm using history odyssey ancients lvl 1 with my kiddo. HO uses the Usborne Internet linked encyclopedia of world history (you do NOT want to know the typo that just ocurred with that word lol), SOTW, Ancient Egyptians and their neighbors and has a lot of other supplemental reading you can choose to do. It is more chronological, although there are some overlaps apparently.

He developed a love of all things ancient Egypt after a bit of an obsession with a computer game called Luxor... then the Mayans after Zuma... and the Vikings after Age of Mythology lol (see a pattern here?) I figured the games sparked the interest, might as well follow it!

We've done lapbooking before and the boys thought it was cool, and I've just stumbled upon notebooking and have printed out some freebie Egypt pages to go with where we are in HO
I'll have to see if my library has those games for loan. I can totally see ds getting into them. I'm anticipating Ancient Egypt eagerly, lol. It seems like it will be easy to plan for because there are so many great resources available. My library has Ancient Egyptians and Their Neighbors, Spend a Day in Ancient Egypt, and the Classical Kids Activity Guide plus a slew of non-fiction and picture books too. Then we have the History Pockets and a kit for making papyrus paper. I haven't really started planning for it yet, but I know we'll be making cartouches and doing heiroglyphics, and of course studying pyramids! I've been collecting free resources online in many subjects for about a month now. It's fun, lol! Here's a few for Ancient Egypt-

This site has some great free lapbook mini books and notebooking pages on Ancient Egypt, as well as many others.

Canon has a papercraft pyramid and sphinx to print and make for those who feel adventurous or patient enough for it. Also some stunning pictures of Egypt in their photo gallery.

The British Museum has some interesting looking resources here on Ancient Egypt, as well as other Ancient Civilizations.

The National Gallery of Art has online resources here you can search, as well as free resources to loan here, you just pay return shipping at media mail prices. They have resources for other civilizations besides Egypt too.

blogging.jpg

#28 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
For us, we started with the Creation of the world. I am Christian, so I was using the Bible as a guide. Then I pretty much have been going chronological order. Makes it easier for me. I tend to overdo so I wanted to have some sort of skeleton idea to follow
If you don't mind my asking, when does the Bible say the creation of the world happened? I could loan one and look it up myself, but if you don't mind sharing that would be quicker and easier! And does that then have you starting in Mesopotamia? Sumer?

blogging.jpg

#29 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 PM

:

I think we are going to give SOTW a try-- listening to it on CD
and we may get the History Odyssey program for go along activities.
#30 of 47 Old 07-03-2009, 11:54 PM

My daughter is doing Ancient History this year with my dad using History Odyssey level 3. She is so looking forward to reading The Odyssey and The Illiad! I hope they meet her expectations. LOL

User Tag List