Notebooking for Prek-1st, math ideas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So a MDC member recently inspired me to begin notebooking with my children. I used to think notebooking was boring, because all I saw were black and white pages with an image or two and lots of lines. But when I saw her notebooking (or rather, her childs) with so much color, activities, and interesting "stuff" I got the bug! I think my kids will have sooo much fun with this.

I have a 3 year old son who turns 4 in Oct. He'll be starting Pre-K at home probably in the fall. My oldest daughter who is 5, is finishing up her K year (we school year-round, but go light in the summer).

I'd like to give her a notebook for science, social studies, bible and math. But in a blog I visited, it looked as though science and bible were contained in one (using the creation story as bible AND science). I like that idea.

How would I incorperate math? She can count to 100 with little help, counts by 10's, adds and subtracts small numbers. She can count backwards well from 5, and with a little help from 10. I would love ideas for a math notebook for her, because math really isn't a fun subject for her but I think with notebooking, it could be. Aside from numbers, what other "concepts" are included in first grade math that I could include?

My sons notebook is going to be pretty straightforward - he'l have an ABC scrapbook like my daughter did, but we'll do it a little differently.

Are shapes considered "math" in preschool? I can't remember what I did with my daughter for "math" in preschool. Sure basic counting, but what other concepts that I could include in a seperate notebook for him? Big/little, above/below type of stuff? I think with him we'd be best doing an ABC scrapbook, perhaps a math notebook (numbers, concepts), then a general "everything" to cover holidays, themes, fieldtrips, drawings, etc.

I think this will be great to be able to show family, too, that we actually Do something in homeschooling...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page