Science "lessons" and experiments for a two year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband wanted to do some science-y type things with our two year old - experiments and lessons and things that would generally show her that science is fun and interesting. Any ideas for things that a two year old would grasp?
#2 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 01:50 PM

http://science.preschoolrock.com/

there are probably some things a 2 year old would enjoy

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM

I recently got my kids a marble run. I mostly set it up for them, they get to drop the marbles in and watch what happens. Physics in action!

I recommend the plastic kind for young kids; I got mine from Discount School Supply. Although the wooden ones are lovely, the blocks slide out of position very easily, which my kids find frustrating. The wooden ones are nice when the kids are old enough to build it themselves.

This is also a great age to be doing a lot of nature observation, growing plants, examining insects, talking about life cycles, etc.

-Sonja

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#4 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 PM

I think it's adorable that her dad wants to do science experiments with her, but it occurs to me that a lot of what she's doing right now is science-y. If he takes her to the playground, she's learning about physics with everything she plays on - the swings, ladders, bars, carousel, everything - even though it doesn't have a "lesson" feel to it for him, it's certainly experimental and new and educational to her. When she's playing in the bathtub or wading pool, same thing - she's seeing how water works when she plays with water toys. I loved the site Elizawill linked to - it's just real everyday stuff, but real everyday stuff is brand new to a two year old! Lillian
#5 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Playing in corn starch:

http://www.kidzone.ws/science/cornstarch.htm

Working with different strength magnifying glasses.

Magnet building sets (with VERY close supervision, at least until she's older). We have some that aren't super strong like the ones that kill kids when they eat them.

Another magnet activity: "Place small metal objects like screws,nuts, paper clips,metal chips, and small non-metal objects like plastic toys and chalk in a baking pan. Pour cornmeal over the objects to cover them. Move a magnet slowly over the surface until one object moves. Have the children find the other metal objects that are attracted to the magnet. Discuss a magnet and why things are attracted to it. Place different items under the cornmeal and have the children guess whether the objects will move or not. Variations: oatmeal, rice, or barley could also be used to cover the objects."

Soak seeds and "dissect" them so you can see where the plant grows from.

Static electricity with a balloon.

Make rain: "Boil some water in a pot until steam forms above it. Then fill a pie pan with ice cubes and hold it above the pot in the steam "cloud." Have the children observe that when the steam comes in contact with the cool air from the pie pan, drops of water form and fall back into the pot like rain."

Growing plants from seeds, especially things you can eat! Green beans are pretty easy to grow. You can also grow alfalfa sprouts on paper towels.

Tornado tube:

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000093

Make playdough.

Discover all 5 senses.

Catch bugs and watch them for a day. Let her feed them and give them grass to climb on.

Solid, liquid, and gas. Show her how you put water in the freezer to make it a solid, let it melt to run it back into liquid, and heat it on the stove to turn it into gas. Put the lid over the pot to catch the steam and show her it turns back into a liquid.

Color mixing. Here's a cute idea: "This is a terrific visual experience of color changes. Make red, yellow and blue ice cubes using food coloring and water. Place one red and one yellow ice cube in a ziplock baggie, one red and one blue ice cube in a ziplock baggie, and one yellow and one blue ice cube in a ziplock baggie. Place them in the science area. As the colored ice cubes melt they create new colors."

Make a birdfeeder and a birdbath.

Spray a hose with your back to the sun to make a rainbow.

I've done a bunch of these with my 4 year old and I don't know how much a 2 year old will grasp, but it is still fun and educational. Even if she doesn't FULLY grasp these things, she'll still learn from them.
#6 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Cornstarch & water, baking soda & vinegar - just simple combining two substances to see a reaction of some type. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on experiments at that age - I'm sure you could find lots of stuff around the house that would qualify as a science experiment.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#7 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Mentos in a diet Coke

We're big fans of nature walks. Pointing out animals and different trees and flowers and bugs. If she likes to glue things you can do a flower diagram...

Vallere: Blessed Wife, Doula, Homeschool Mom to Ian Gray(11/20/05), Zollie Isaac(10/14/07), Anna Zophia (8/14/09):, and a GIRL coming June 2010!
#8 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Second the baking soda and vinegar. For extra "cool" points, put food coloring in the vinegar. Then you get rainbow volcanos...which are pretty darn cool.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#9 of 17 Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 PM

The book Mudpies to Magnets has gentle science experiments for the very young. I highly suggest it for fun ideas.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#10 of 17 Old 07-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
The book Mudpies to Magnets has gentle science experiments for the very young. I highly suggest it for fun ideas.
yep. A good place to start.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#11 of 17 Old 04-21-2012, 01:26 PM

try using baking soda, vinegar in a empty soda bottle to blow up a balloon.

#12 of 17 Old 04-21-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

yeah, second the idea that pretty much everything she is doing right now is science. What's science? Testing hypotheses. What do 2 year olds do? Try things out. Again and again ;-).

All that said, there are some really cool experiments on here! Enjoy!

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#13 of 17 Old 04-21-2012, 02:40 PM

CAREFUL about marbles and other small objects that can get into little mouths and throats! The marble runs will usually come with a notice that they're not suitable for little ones - they should only be around older children.

- Lillian

#14 of 17 Old 04-21-2012, 03:11 PM

Haven't read the responses.

We do mixing colors like different colored water and pouring them into one another. BS and vinegar to make "explosions". Goop with cornstarch and water. Lots of bug identification and learning. Talking about weather...

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#15 of 17 Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

You can never get enough of Dancing Raisins.   You mix water, some vinegar and some baking soda in a glass, then add a small handful of raisins.  Hours (sometimes) of fun!  Be ready to do this one over and over and over.  

In fact, if you find a cool "experiment" be prepared to do it over and over and over.  Dancing raisins can easily be assembled by a 2yo if all the necessities are handy.  Because you know that he's going to ask right you to do it right at the last 10 minutes of trying to pull dinner together!

Nat'l Geo. Little Kids always has a fun experiment inside its pages every month.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#16 of 17 Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

CAREFUL about marbles and other small objects that can get into little mouths and throats! The marble runs will usually come with a notice that they're not suitable for little ones - they should only be around older children.

- Lillian

You can use split tubes from tp and paper towels and a ping pong ball instead, if you are concerned about choking.  

We love pvc pipes here for building large stages, forts, etc.  

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#17 of 17 Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

- Lillian

You can use split tubes from tp and paper towels and a ping pong ball instead, if you are concerned about choking.  

We love pvc pipes here for building large stages, forts, etc.  

That sounds like FUN!  smile.gif

-  Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page