A History of US lesson plans?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have or know of lesson plans to go in conjunction with Joy Hakim's A Histroy of US books. Are there test books?
Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 AM

lillian shared this site: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/

i haven't looked through it fully - but perhaps it will help you.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Here's the text of remarks the author gave when she received the James A. Michener Prize in Writing: Remarks by Joy Hakim. My impression is that she likes to think of the books being used as food for lots of thought, natural discussion, and inspiration - that's how we used them. But Johns Hopkins does have some lesson plans for teachers, and when you look at them you see that they're really more for conducting formal sessions in a classroom. - Lillian
#4 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! My goal is to find a way to present history so it will be interesting and retained, but I also need to be able to record and track "progress" for DH.
#5 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annapooh View Post
Thanks! My goal is to find a way to present history so it will be interesting and retained, but I also need to be able to record and track "progress" for DH.
maybe the companion book & videos would be enough to satisfy your dh?

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/historyofus/about/shop.html

they are temporarily out of stock at PBS, but perhaps you could find them used through another resource? i don't know a thing about the videos or companion book - but i'm sure you could find reviews as well. hth

ETA: here's the companion book used for 75 cents. http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Histor...7325420&sr=1-1

you can view it before you purchase it here: http://books.google.com/books?id=xrt...DoHqXuzQTIrNQK

here is one video - perhaps they have them all? i'm going to check
http://teachertube.com/viewVideo.php..._History_of_US

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#6 of 8 Old 07-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Is it possible that keeping a journal that describes what you've covered together could suffice for the history portion of what you're tracking? Just a thought... Lillian
#7 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

Is it possible that keeping a journal that describes what you've covered together could suffice for the history portion of what you're tracking? Just a thought... Lillian
I think I just need to sit down and have a "teacher/principle" meeting to verify what hubby wants/needs. He just wants all bases covered for records for when ds starts looking at college etc. Thanks!! Your input is so helpful!
#8 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
He just wants all bases covered for records for when ds starts looking at college etc.
Oh! Well, those kinds of records won't be at all pertinent till he gets into his high school years. And in many cases, colleges won't even be asking for much in the way of high school records. Here's a good MDC thread having to do with college - and it links to a number of others that would also be helpful:
high school to college? Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page