Any Pagan Homeschoolers???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering if there are any pagan homeschoolers out there on these boards??? If so any canadians???

I am pagan and jus started homeschooling and wanted to find good pagan curriculums, workbooks, web pages etc that I can incorporate with her schooling even though we are eccletic unschooling she still loves some workbooks but mostly for coloring and reading...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#2 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 03:01 AM

I'm pagan, and we homeschool. But I'm way down in Texas. I'm planning on buying "Circle Round" as soon as I can. I understand there are lots of good activities in there.

Ann-Marita

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#3 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 03:16 AM

we are, there are some resouces for pagan homeschooling in the "Resources on Paganism" thread in the spirituality forum.

It's probably back on page two or three now.
#4 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 03:21 AM

Here's a link to try:

http://www.goddessmooncirclesacademy.org/index.html

They have an online curriculum which looks interesting, it's just the structure that may be too much. But, for the price, it may be a great resource.

Circle Round is good, as Ann-Marita said, as well as Celebrating the Great Mother and Blessed Bee magazine.

We just had some fellow homeschoolers over yesterday and made candles in preparation for Imbolc. It was great fun.

Sorry, we're not close by, we live outside Chicago. I'd love to have more pagan families to do stuff with.

Good luck.
#5 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.. at least i know im not alone...

I checked out the Pagan Resources thread in spirtuality and bumped it..hehehe...

Unfortunately all the pagan homeschool curriculums seem to be in the usa... which sucks.. since im in canada... but hopefully i can find some samples and try to incorporate or design my own... who knows... any thoughts or ideas is greatly appreciated and always welcome...

Thanks again...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#6 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 06:47 PM

I am a Pagan homeschooler and am currently reading Cirle Round and loving it! I also second the nomination for Celebrating the Great Mother. I'm looking for other hsing moms like myself nearby, but I'm "way out in the sticks", according to friends of mine, lol.

Ann-Marita, where 'bouts in TX are ya? I'm close to Decatur (Wise COunty.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#7 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 06:59 PM

Pagan and homeschooling here, too. We used Goddess Moon Circles Academy for an umbrella school one year, and I was very disappointed- I paid my money and then never heard back from them. Their curriculum doesn't impress me much, but I did buy a summer camp program from them that was nice.
There is also school of the seasons, which I haven't used but sounds really neat
http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/
We actually get a lot from Waldorf ideas
http://www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com/
The nature table, festivals, and reverence for nature go very well with my spiritual beliefs.
#8 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the school of seasons links.. its been brought up before in other threads and wasnt the correct page..so im happy i bookmarked it for later... im online trying to find good pagan kid songs my dd will enjoy...she likes some of enya's songs even if they arent necessarily pagan and gregorian chants... shes funny like that... any ideas anyone?? well off to do more searching... its too cold to go out 2day...

#9 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 08:13 PM

There is a CD that goes with Circle Round. W elove it and sing many of the soungs on a regular basis.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...204258-8130277
#10 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 08:49 PM

http://www.homestead.com/barbooch/PaganHomeschool.html

http://www.crystalforest1.homestead....parenting.html

My two older ones are not ( but they are looking at things ) and the two little ones do sometimes participate in circle depending on where we are and I read a lot of the Pagan books to them
I have been thinking about ordering Circle Round lately....

Hope you find something in Canada. I heard that there was an Oak Meadow type curriculum ( or maybe even om itself>??) for Canada but I can't remember the name or details.....
#11 of 69 Old 01-28-2004, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CerridwenLorelei
http://www.crystalforest1.homestead....parenting.html

Great link.... i bookmarked it... and found it very useful... I think there is an oak meadow program in canada... i continue to be on the hunt so keep em coming with the links i do look them all up...

#12 of 69 Old 01-29-2004, 02:18 AM

Pagan here- homeschooling in the fall. I'm looking at Enki as a curriculum possiblility- it is created by a Buddhist, I believe but is multi-cultural and similar to Waldorf. Still researching it.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#13 of 69 Old 01-29-2004, 02:36 AM

I am going to get the 2nd grade Enki as soon as it's available. It's is very based in Waldorf, but much more multi-cultural, and with a smattering of Montessori method as well. We have been doing a Waldor fstyle (yet looser) first grade, and I wanted to continue, but wanted a selection of stories for 2nd grade that were more broard that traditional Waldorf (in 2nd grade Waldorf does Saint stories) I am convinved that Enki will bridge that gap for me. I looked at the first grade that a friend had- it's huge and packed with info. She told me that the teacher's guide is unecessary, which cuts down the cost.
Something to note though- at this time, Enki only had a K and 1st grade program available- 2nd will be available this fall
#14 of 69 Old 01-29-2004, 11:21 PM

kirshday, thanks for the info. on the Enki teacher's guide not being necessary. I was wondering about that. That really brings the cost down.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#15 of 69 Old 02-02-2004, 02:18 PM

You may be interested in an active thread in spirituality about Pagan books for children...
#16 of 69 Old 03-16-2005, 02:22 PM

Just wanted to jump in (I'm a lurker mostly) but as a user of Enki for two years now I must say that the teacher's guide is the most useful and meaningful homeschool book I own, and I own over a hundred. In addition, the developer is releasing a new updated version specifically for himeschoolers very soon and the advance copy is simply amazing. The resource books are the 'stuff' the 'what' but the teachers guide is the 'how-when-why' of presenting the materials. Irreplacable to me.
#17 of 69 Old 03-16-2005, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wiccan unschooling mama here We aren't homeschooling for religious reasons necessarily, but because my faith is a part of my everyday life it does come up and the kids get into it with me. Ive liked some of Circle Round as well. I will see if I can dig up some links Ive had forever.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#18 of 69 Old 03-16-2005, 06:48 PM

#19 of 69 Old 03-17-2005, 12:58 PM

Hi! I'm a Canadian, pagan h-schooler but I haven't found much for "Canadian" curriculum. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
We use Oak Meadows as a rough guide (I like how they intro +,-,x and dividing as little gnomes, for example), Also Circle Round, Celebrating the Great Mother and kids books. I find I just put my personal slant on whatever material we use.
#20 of 69 Old 03-17-2005, 04:13 PM

:
#21 of 69 Old 03-17-2005, 05:14 PM

I am a pagan mama in Tx, and we will be homeschooling soon (ds is only 3.5 right now). I have been trying to decide which curriculum would be best for us. Oak meadow is the one that has been the most tempting for me. I am going to go check out some of the other suggested links too. The problem I have run into with so many of the pagan parenting books and websites is that they are intended for Wiccans. I don't want to teach my son from a Wiccan curriculum because we are not Wiccan.

I do have one quick question that is kind of off topic. For you homeschooling mama's in TX. Ds has some special needs and has been gettting Speech therapy through the Public School System. At our last ARD meeting there was a discussion about how speech therapy would be integrated into his kindergarten curriculum. I pointed out that this was kind of putting the cart before the horse as there is no way of knowing that he will even still be in need of speech therapy when he is 5. But it I told them it really didn't matter because he would be home schooled. (never mention homeschooling to a bunch of Public school administrators) After they all calmed down from their huff they told me that I would need to inform the school district of my intent to homeschool and also provide a detailed curriculum. I didn't think that Tx law required a homeschooling parent to turn in a copy of their intended curriculum. So I was wondering if any one else had been asked for this? Should I provide them with one or should I fight them?
#22 of 69 Old 03-17-2005, 10:08 PM

We're pagan! Not in Canada though. You're in good company here. I really have nothing to add except search here and spirituality and you will see a lot of threads with the info you seek.
#23 of 69 Old 03-17-2005, 10:39 PM

Another Pagan homeschooling mama here. Not in Canada though, sorry. We are using Oak Meadow K this year as a base, but are supplementing heavily from Circle Round, Celebrating the Great Mother and other books.
#24 of 69 Old 03-18-2005, 10:42 AM

We're pagan. We use Oak Meadow K.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#25 of 69 Old 03-18-2005, 10:45 AM

We'rer pagan h-schoolers and ..well...we wing it
Ok, fine..i guess we lean more toward unschooling but I did look at all the curriculums that were aimed toward pagan families and really just found that there isn't anything in the curriculums that we haven't already been learning naturally ,as a pagan family.

Around the Sabbats and any other significant days, we look at the history and the meaning behind the day, celebrate with appropriate activities(usually nature oriented and some things from Circle Round or Celebrating the Great Mother) ,etc.I'm trying to choose aspects of each Sabbat each year for more in depth study(like around Imbolc, a unit study of lambs and calves and why they were so important to early pagans, , Goddess study of Bridget,a more in depth look at the roots ,cultural studies (how other older cultures celebrated), etc).

We have found some nice children's literature, as well, that have a very pagan feel to them that we use and I put together short lesson plans(or "Story Stretchers") to go with them.. I have on the agenda for next week(as long as I don't have the baby then LOL) to use "The Story of the Root Children"(because it centers around the earth waking up in Spring).

I know there was more to add but I have a 4 year old climbing on my back...literally LOL
#26 of 69 Old 03-20-2005, 12:27 AM

I do have one quick question that is kind of off topic. For you homeschooling mama's in TX. Ds has some special needs and has been gettting Speech therapy through the Public School System. At our last ARD meeting there was a discussion about how speech therapy would be integrated into his kindergarten curriculum. I pointed out that this was kind of putting the cart before the horse as there is no way of knowing that he will even still be in need of speech therapy when he is 5. But it I told them it really didn't matter because he would be home schooled. (never mention homeschooling to a bunch of Public school administrators) After they all calmed down from their huff they told me that I would need to inform the school district of my intent to homeschool and also provide a detailed curriculum. I didn't think that Tx law required a homeschooling parent to turn in a copy of their intended curriculum. So I was wondering if any one else had been asked for this? Should I provide them with one or should I fight them?[/QUOTE]

Another Texas Pagan Homeschooler here. No you do NOT have to turn in a curriculum. What you need is to contact one of the homeschooling organizations and get them to help you with what to tell the school system. All you need to do usually is inform them that you will be taking over the education of your child. I think they are trying to intimidate you. The truth is that we have very few requirements at all in Texas for homeschoolers and are considered unaccredited private schools. Unless they intend to ask all unaccredited private schools for their curriculums, they can't focus on you unless they have a good reason.

I have never used formal curriculum with my son, except for a math program. We just look into whatever we are interested in and join the local non-religious homeschool groups. We do lots of reading and trips to the library and bookstores and take field trips with other homeschoolers to museums and such together.
#27 of 69 Old 03-20-2005, 12:29 AM

Are there any other pagan homeschoolers on this list in or around Austin?
#28 of 69 Old 09-21-2005, 04:33 PM

We are a mixed religious family actually. I am Wiccan but my husband is not. We recently started homeschooling our 5 year old. Our plan is simple but neat, we each will teach her about faith from our viewpoint...when she turns 13 then she will be better able to start making her own choices. Even at 13 though I will continue to have a say until she turns 18....its the wise thing to do. After all, no one knows it all as a teen.
I too would be interested in hearing about some of the better homeschooling material out there; we need more wiccan and pagan homeschool material to be printed.
#29 of 69 Old 09-22-2005, 08:15 AM

sagemama, do you have any idea how I could get my hands on the book to check it out (borrow) without paying $100? You make it sound wonderful, and I looked at the table of contents on the enki website and I really wanna see it! Can't find it in interlibrary loan.

amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagemama
Just wanted to jump in (I'm a lurker mostly) but as a user of Enki for two years now I must say that the teacher's guide is the most useful and meaningful homeschool book I own, and I own over a hundred. In addition, the developer is releasing a new updated version specifically for himeschoolers very soon and the advance copy is simply amazing. The resource books are the 'stuff' the 'what' but the teachers guide is the 'how-when-why' of presenting the materials. Irreplacable to me.
#30 of 69 Old 09-22-2005, 09:25 AM

I found a Shannon! I just emailed you mrs iris!

I just wanted to let you guys know that I'm : and that you can find all sorts of links on http://www.wisdom-magazine.com/home.do there were others but I either can't find them, or they are only Wiccan, Shannon. (only as in singularly, not as in devaluing).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page