sonlight history vs. history in the well trained mind - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had planned on going with sonlight for everything, including history. however, i just finished reading the well trained mind, which seems really good and is very specific about their curriculum and teaching recommendations. the well trained mind recommends that you learn history in order.........can anyone tell me how that differs from sonlight history?
#2 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 AM

Sonlight's history is very similar to TWTM in that it's taught chronologically and philosophically the two are very much the same. Sonlight however, is literature based it it's approach where as TWTM is more rigid..memorizing dates, names, etc.. Having done both, IMO, TWTM is much drier than Sonlight (especially for the younger grades). Sonlight has been much more engaging and enjoyable for us..but we've always loved to read so it may be that the method just suits us better.
#3 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 PM

We have been doing Story of the World (history by the authors of The Well Trained Mind) and are enjoying it very much. Definitely get the activity book to go with the text. The activity book has questions for discussion. It lists three or four additional non-fiction texts as well as three or four storybooks (literature) that go along with the topic. Then it has one or two activities such as turning a chicken into a mummy and all sorts of interesting things. We read the main text, look at the maps, and use the encyclopedia to get a general feeling for the time period. Then we do mainly the books - I find them at the library where there are usually other books as well, and I choose which ones are more appropriate for my ds. So we're probably doing essentially what Sonlight would have you do (read lots of books). My son is enjoying it and so am I.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#4 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#5 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 04:22 PM

pageta--

How old is you son? What age did you start Story of the World?

thanks!
#6 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 PM

He is 6. We started when he was 5 1/2, but I was getting a head start on 1st grade since we are expecting a baby in Sept.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#7 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 PM

We use History Odyssey which uses Story of the World for one of it's main resources. History Odyssey gives activities and recommends plenty of other books to supplement with. As I understand it, the SOTW Activity Guide also offers plenty of activities and book rec's, but I haven't picked this up yet.

Also, just so we can delve deeper into History, I search for other World History booklists on the internet. For instance, I have the booklists for Sonlight History, Beautiful Feet Books, and Winter Promise. I also plan on getting the booklist for TruthQuest.

I found this blog post the other day and it is truly helpful!

SONLIGHT BOOKS ARRANGED BY THE WELL-TRAINED MIND 4-YEAR CYCLES

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#8 of 10 Old 07-17-2009, 11:44 PM

I've heard "Story of the World" is quite engrossing, but also there are some criticisms against it. See the second review at http://www.amazon.com/Story-World-Hi...7884487&sr=8-1

I believe in one of the Core's (Core 2), Sonlight uses "A Child's History of the World"...which was written by the founder of the Calvert school. You won't find as many reviews as on "Story of the World", but it seems to be extremely well done. http://www.amazon.com/Childs-History...7884617&sr=1-5

I think with any program you choose, you need to look for cultural bias, etc. I mean, I still find it amazing that we say "Columbus (or Leif Erickson...or whomever) discovered America..." when quite obviously there were people already living here. Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw "Columbus: Terrorist or Illegal Immigrant."

Let's see...Sonlight history..
Core 1 "You will travel back in time to discover how people lived thousands of years ago in fascinating places like ancient Egypt, Rome, Greece, Europe, Africa, India, and China." Sounds quite similar to Story of the World 1.

Core 2 World history continues... our Introduction to World History, Part 2 expeditions will take you and your children in search of great historical treasures from the fall of Rome to the present day. Core 2 completes the two-year study of world history that you began in Core 1.

Core 3 & 4 are a two year study of American history... etc.

My honest feeling is that your kids will do well with both... and regardless of the approach, you're going to need to revisit the topics more in-depth when their older...for them truly to have a good grasp on the concepts. Your kids are also going to get a million times more out of either approach than they would in a bricks and mortar school. :

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
I've heard "Story of the World" is quite engrossing, but also there are some criticisms against it. See the second review at http://www.amazon.com/Story-World-Hi...7884487&sr=8-1
We found the text itself dry and often times historically inaccurate, the workbook pages boring (ds just isn't a coloring page kind of kid), the mapwork disconnected and the recommended literature to go along with it difficult to find in our library system.
#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingByFaith View Post
We found the text itself dry and often times historically inaccurate, the workbook pages boring (ds just isn't a coloring page kind of kid), the mapwork disconnected and the recommended literature to go along with it difficult to find in our library system.
what do you use? also - don't you have a blog with an awesome homeschool space, (is that right?). we can't have personal blog links anymore - but i'd love if you shared it again with me through a PM!!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page