Reason #547 to homeschool - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My girls are in VBS (vacation Bible school) this week & it starts at 9am....and I can barely get them there on time!? I keep thinking, "What would I do if I had to have them at school every.single.day at 7:45am?" Call me lazy but that doesn't sound appealing to me, in the least! Hee hee.

stephanie asl.gif

#2 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 AM

I agree! Swim lessons always kicks my behind. EVERY day bright and early--blech!:
#3 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 AM

LOL Isn't that the truth!!! I can't imagine being tied to that schedule every day

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#4 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
My girls are in VBS (vacation Bible school) this week & it starts at 9am....and I can barely get them there on time!? I keep thinking, "What would I do if I had to have them at school every.single.day at 7:45am?" Call me lazy but that doesn't sound appealing to me, in the least! Hee hee.
School starts that early in the states?? Wow! my boys are early risers so that would not be a problem for us but I like not having a schedule except for our own

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
#5 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 AM

School starts at 7:50 for all grades but K here. They get to start at 8. But the kids are all out of school by 2:30, so I guess it works for them.

I'm an early riser, but when The Kid found out what time school started for his friends, he put that on his 'cons' list! There was no way he wanted to start that early! Yet, he has no trouble being up in time to watch a Naruto cartoon at 6:30. Crazy kid. I guess it's just the choice that makes the difference.
#6 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
School starts at 7:50 for all grades but K here. They get to start at 8. But the kids are all out of school by 2:30, so I guess it works for them.

I'm an early riser, but when The Kid found out what time school started for his friends, he put that on his 'cons' list! There was no way he wanted to start that early! Yet, he has no trouble being up in time to watch a Naruto cartoon at 6:30. Crazy kid. I guess it's just the choice that makes the difference.
That is scary early... here school starts around 845 lol and they still get out at 245ish (230 for prep and 245 for grade 1 and up I think.. no idea about senior/high school)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#7 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 AM

I think a big part of it has to do with the lack of childcare available. Most of the adults start work at 8, so starting school just a smidge earlier lets them drop off their kids at school. There is afterschool care, but not much for before school.
#8 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 AM

My DD has to be at camp this week at 9am. I've had a hard time getting going as well. She went last week too. I've managed - but how, I don't know. I also don't like the routine of going in and out of the building and signing her in and out. ugh. Reminds me of when she was in kindergarten. At least it's just for two weeks and not 10 months.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#9 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM

My ds went to VBS. I didn't really have a hard time getting him there by 9:00, but I found having to get him there every day by 9:00 quite a drag. Usually I'm busy doing stuff by that point, but nope, I had to be taking him to VBS. Then I had to pick him up. Ugh! He had fun, though.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#10 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

I should add that we're early risers over here, too, so the 9am drop off is more of an interuption in our day. The kids are up & fed & playing by around 7:30-8ish and it's awful to have to stop them to get dressed & out the door.

DD1 went to afternoon kdg for about a week last year before we started hs'ing & it took it all out of me to get her to there by noon. I guess it's just the "every day" thing!?

stephanie asl.gif

#11 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
It isn't appealing! I had to wake my son (age 13.5) up at 8:00 for 2 weeks (for a program he chose-imagine how awful it would be if he didn't want to go?) and it was not pleasant. He would pull the covers over his head and grunt at me. It usually took 3 or 4 tries to get him up and about. I would throw food at him and he would eat in the car.

Kids his age have to be waiting for the bus at 7:25 in this area

If you asked DS why he HSed one of his big reasons would be because he likes to sleep in the morning.
#12 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM

This is like reason #1 for me! I am not an early riser and apparently my girls are not either. They rather enjoy sleeping until 8:30ish. We had one week of day camp a month ago where dd had to be there at 7:30 every day and we were all completely exhausted at the end of the week. We've had swim class at 9:30, Mon-Thurs. for the past month and it's been a struggle to get there on time, but not impossible. 7:30 or 8 though is just insanely early to have 3 kids somewhere on time.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#13 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 05:19 PM

Tell me about it. We are late to HS coop at least most every time. It starts at 9 too. My kids are usually still asleep at about 8:30 and I have to put them in the car with pj's on.
#14 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 05:25 PM

It's funny how those schedules can be so routine for some. We are early risers but I still don't want to HAVE to be out of the house that early.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#15 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 PM

My son is in a half day preschool (afternoons) and I am late getting him there for that! LOL and it starts at 12:00pm. I think you homeschoolers are on to something

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#16 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Tell me about it. We are late to HS coop at least most every time. It starts at 9 too. My kids are usually still asleep at about 8:30 and I have to put them in the car with pj's on.
Our coop is in the afternoon, and coop ballet and park playdates are in the morning, but not until 10:00. But even so, most of the homeschoolers are late, it's pretty much expected I think. I mean, really, only having 3 children as a homeschooler is rare, most have more than that. How can you expect anyone with 3+ children to ever be anywhere on time?

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#17 of 18 Old 07-22-2009, 09:16 PM

We have been going to the summer movie camp on Wednesdays. It is a serious struggle to be there by 10:00. That is just one day a week. There is no way I could be up that early every day.

I was talking to someone today about how hard it is to function the first 10 days or so after my chemo treatments. I said that my son wtches a lot of tv during that week. She asked me why I didn't enroll him in the town's summer camp program. But there is no way I could be up and get him to the program by 9:00 every single day. So for one week out of every three, he gets lots of extra tv time. We are not morning people.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#18 of 18 Old 07-27-2009, 05:20 AM

We only do VBS programs that are offered in the afternoon, for this reason. My kids are usually out of bed in time, but they are accustomed to our cuddle time. We slowly start our days!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page