We need another Eclectic thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 313 Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are here too! This is our first year of homeschooling with a kindegartener and a grade 3! We are so excited! We are definately going to be doing a little of this and a little of that!
#62 of 313 Old 08-09-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

to all the homeschooling newbies!

:: What a wonderful journey this is going to be! Congratulations!! ::

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#63 of 313 Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 PM

This will be our first year homeschooling too. We are definitely eclectic, I'd say a wild mix of everything-- classically, montessori-ish, waldorf-ish, charlotte mason-ish, super relaxed go with the flowish, etc!

So far I've decided on:

Math - Mix of Rightstart B, Miquon, and Critical thinking Workbooks
Phonics- 100 EZ and Right Brain Phonics along with Bob books and similar and All About Spelling
Science- Thinking about Nebel's Science book, but I can't remember the name right now. Also- alot of outdoor nature activities/journals.
History- Thinking about Pre history lessons, maybe make up my own or maybe from Connect the Thoughts
Lots and lots of play!

I have no idea how I plan on doing all this though. I'm not really a schedule person, I'm hoping it goes something like this

Ds "Mom I'm bored, let's do some math"

And I'm hoping he says it often enough to get through at least half the book!
#64 of 313 Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm so excited I re-found this blog based on The Handbook of Nature Study. I had already downloaded the free on-line copy of The Handbook of Nature Study to my computer at least a year ago. I think I found the blog through a thread on here at some point in time. Apparently I wasn't quite ready for it yet. I'm excited to start now though. I think I want to aim for one challenge a week - during the week we can explore more if we want, but I think if we try for one purposeful outing/observation, we'll be more successful than over planning. I also am going to start reading The Burgess Bird Book for Children when we finish reading The Little Prince.

I'm still trying to figure out how we are going to accomplish everything though! Any magical ideas for getting kids in bed earlier in hopes of them waking earlier so we can actually start doing our more formal stuff before 10:30?! I think ultimately I need a strong morning routine (wake up, eat breakfast, make bed/get dressed/brush teeth, outside play for 15 minutes if weather permits, and then inside to start ... ) and bedtime/evening routine once dh is home from work.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#65 of 313 Old 08-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

I'm still trying to figure out how we are going to accomplish everything though! Any magical ideas for getting kids in bed earlier in hopes of them waking earlier so we can actually start doing our more formal stuff before 10:30?! I think ultimately I need a strong morning routine (wake up, eat breakfast, make bed/get dressed/brush teeth, outside play for 15 minutes if weather permits, and then inside to start ... ) and bedtime/evening routine once dh is home from work.
We're going to be trying to keep to a good routine this year, early rise, early bed, to see how it goes. The 15 minutes outside in the morning is a lovely idea! My eclectic self may just nab that idea right up and out it to use here, MyLittleWonders style. Thanks!

blogging.jpg

#66 of 313 Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Hi! I kinda started doing some things with my now 5 yr. old last winter. We did What Your Preschooler Needs to Know activity book, then moved onto Ordinary Parents Guide and Core Knowledge K from Baltimore Curr. Project.

I've decided to plan my whole life in 3 month increments I went a little crazy and ordered everything first grade from the WTM, Before Five in a Row, Slow and Steady, some history encyclopedias, and HWOT first grade and Pre-K, etc etc. We also have Muzzy Spanish.

I think for Sept-Oct-Nov, I am going to concentrate on the booklist from Ambleside 0, Saxon 1, Kumon workbooks for my 3 yr. old, BFIAR, and I am not sure what else.

I love the rhythm, gentle nature of Waldorf, the nature study of CM, common sense of WTM, literature of FIAR. I just have so many things I want to pull from. I think the most important thing for me is to establish a nice rhythm with the 3 kiddos, and not to push my sweet 5 yr. old too hard. I really want this to be fun and not stressful for all of us!

Living it up with DH, DD 6, DD 4, DS 1 and
:
#67 of 313 Old 08-10-2009, 11:24 PM

:

subbing

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#68 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm so excited I re-found this blog based on The Handbook of Nature Study. I had already downloaded the free on-line copy of The Handbook of Nature Study to my computer at least a year ago. I think I found the blog through a thread on here at some point in time. Apparently I wasn't quite ready for it yet. I'm excited to start now though. I think I want to aim for one challenge a week - during the week we can explore more if we want, but I think if we try for one purposeful outing/observation, we'll be more successful than over planning. I also am going to start reading The Burgess Bird Book for Children when we finish reading The Little Prince.

I had no idea there was a free downloadable copy of that book! It's been on my Amazon wishlist for so long! Thanks for pointing that out! I love that site. I found it on another thread here, too, but I can't remember where. I'm pretty sure it was a discussion about Nature Journals. I am also going to try diligently to start a nature study very soon. I love nature, my kids love nature, we live in the forest, why haven't I already started??? Maybe we should consider starting a support group of sorts to help us get started with this.

While the rest of my day is pretty messed up as far as routine goes, our bedtime routine is pretty good. I have no magic ideas for you, but I'll tell you what we do.

After dinner, we usually send the kiddos straight in for a shower (my son, age 7 goes first)... thus beginning our bedtime routine! After the shower, they are supposed to put jammies on and brush their teeth and hair. It's still usually fairly early after all this is done -- around 6:30-7:00 pm. So we allow the kids to play in their rooms quietly for a while. Then around 8:30, we read to them (lately my hubby has been reading The Hobbit to them) until around 9:00-9:15 and then off to bed they go! My daughter will usually stay up for a little while to read her own book, but we usually don't let her stay up later that 10:00 pm because then she's usually grumpy the next day. And for some reason, my kids have never had a problem waking up early. My son usually wakes up around 6:00-6:30 am. If he sleeps until 7:30 am, this is sleeping in for him and it's very unusual! : I, on the other hand, need to sleep until at the very least 7:30. So there's our routine. The only time we don't follow it is when we have kid guests that stay over and we usually allow the kids to stay up as late as they want as long as they are quiet. :

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#69 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just out of curiosity, how old is everyone's children?

My daughter is 10 and my son is 7. Birthdays are coming up in the Fall, though.

#70 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 PM

I have 3 boys - the oldest is 8 (just turned), the middle is 5 1/2 (will be 6 in late fall), and the youngest is 3 (just turned).

#71 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM

My dd is 9, ds is 7, and little dd is 18 months old.

blogging.jpg

#72 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Kids ages are in my siggie! 5, 2.5, and an infant.

Bedtime routine here is finally good, but it took us a while to find our rhythm. Some nights I give them a natural relaxing chewable supplement containing a small amount of melatonin, to help them wind down. Then we either read to them (that's DHs thing) or sing them lullabies (that's my thing) until they fall asleep. We get them into bed early (about 7:30) because they wake up very early. I try very hard to be consistent with this, which makes a big difference. My issue is getting myself going in the morning! I have a hard time with energy before about 4pm.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#73 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM

I have 4 fours, my oldest is 10 and in public school. Then they rest are 6, 4, and almost 2. They are all home schooled.

We don't have much for a schedule now, but will have a better one in a few weeks. Get up around 7am, chicken chores, breakfast, the boys play for a while while I clean up or do a load of laundry. School time after that. We were able to get all our *school work* done before lunch last year. The boys play while I make lunch, we eat. They play while I clean up lunch. Littlest one goes down for a nap, then we play, read books, play games, or just lazy about while he sleeps. I also do daycare for my friends boys, so I have 5 little boys here most days!

If we have a field trip, play date, or some kind of outing that day, we just skip any school type work and just make it a big reading day and read what we can. I'm pretty laid back.

I hope the same holds true for this year. I include them all at the same time, so it goes pretty smoothly most days. Each one does something age appropriate and I move around helping each one get started and over seeing the chaos. Some days are a complete bomb and we end up playing boardgames and reading books instead. Just gotta take it as it comes.

That's about how our routine was last year and I thought it worked well. We will see how this year goes!
#74 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 05:48 PM

So, am I just driving myself crazy with trying to get almost everything school-wise done before lunch? I am sure if we were able to start before 10:30am, then we probably could. But maybe that's just not part of our natural rhythm and maybe I'm trying to force it and thus driving myself nuts. I want our afternoons "free" but I'm not altogether sure why exactly. Wednesdays are pretty much toast no matter what - we leave the house by 11am and usually don't get home until 2:30 or 3. The boys have PE and then play at the park with friends. I don't know if I want to rush things in the morning on Wednesdays ... we could do reading and grammar and maybe read some history in the afternoons/evenings. But the mornings are busy getting us all ready, packing lunches, and getting ready to go. That leaves 4 days a week.

I really want to get us out of the house more and so by having school stuff done by lunch, we could have our afternoons free. But, I'm not sure what we're going to do in the afternoons. We could do the library/park one day, but usually there aren't any other kids at the park during the day unless I call our friends, so the boys sometimes end up bored.

Does anyone here strive to be done by lunch? Or does anyone here use the afternoons for some school-stuff too? Where is the balance between schedule/routine (I like having a sense of routine/schedule so I feel like we are getting through things that dh and I feel are important to get through), and yet letting natural rhythm shine through the routine/schedule (but if they boys' natural rhythm flows unobstructed, they would play and watch TV most all day, and then want some stories at night before bed). Where is the happy medium?

#75 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM

MyLittleWonders--I just had the "maybe we aren't so much the morning people we want to be" revelation just this morning! I know it's usually natural to be settled and ready to work at 9 AM, but my boys age 5 and 2 hit the ground RUNNING! That means spilling things, making messes, talking our ears off. So, I decided not to race around this morning cramming in all that bed-making, hair-brushing, dish-doing while stressing about our supposed schedule....and just wait till things calmed down a bit before we got to work. And lo and behold! It still worked! We got going around 10:30 and then I just sort of backed off until later in the day to work on a couple other things, like math. I know 1 to 3 pm is ideal rest time, but for us it's after 3 pm. It's 5 o'clock now and after the 2 yr napped he's in good mood, maybe we'll play outside for awhile while it's cool and nice. And who says a 5 year old can't do math at 7 pm?

I wish, wish, wish I were a more routine kind of person! Even my DH jokes that I think the cure for every problem is: "Well, if we could just get back into a routine!"
#76 of 313 Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM

Riversmommy - I totally get you! I am so learning how to be flexible (probably not the first adjective anyone would use to describe me ). It seems no matter how hard I try, we still convene around the table about 10:30 am, so I think maybe I just need to go with it. And I think we are a lot alike as I too think the cure for what ails us here is routine. I think one thing I might do is start reading history and/or science in the evenings after dinner - not necessarily at bedtime, but definitely later in the day. Then the next day we can flex our brain muscles and talk about what we read and do whatever activity I wanted to do regarding the subject (or no activity at all). Chances are my boys will all be in college and I'll still be trying to figure out a routine that works for us!

#77 of 313 Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM

Last school year, we didn't start until after lunch. It worked very well for us. I need a couple hours in the morning before I'm ready to take on the kids...you know, I do waht I have to, get breakfast, grunt answers to their yes and no questions, etc. But to be creative, patient and such, I need my time.

At the end of the year, I started getting up early so I could have my own time before they woke up but then I got pregnant and can't sleep enough I'm going to try to reestablish that pattern so we can start in the mornings, although I don't know why, I don't know what we would do when we're done...I only school 1-3 hours a day on average (which will be all K needs and my 3rd grader does her busy work if it goes over)

Oh, my kiddos are 8 (3rd grade), 5 (K) and 4...he goes to preschool but I'm thinking of doing the K stuff with him as well...we'll see!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#78 of 313 Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
I have two dds ages 10(11 in Oct.)) and 7.
#79 of 313 Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
So, am I just driving myself crazy with trying to get almost everything school-wise done before lunch? I am sure if we were able to start before 10:30am, then we probably could. But maybe that's just not part of our natural rhythm and maybe I'm trying to force it and thus driving myself nuts. I want our afternoons "free" but I'm not altogether sure why exactly.

Does anyone here strive to be done by lunch? Or does anyone here use the afternoons for some school-stuff too? Where is the balance between schedule/routine (I like having a sense of routine/schedule so I feel like we are getting through things that dh and I feel are important to get through), and yet letting natural rhythm shine through the routine/schedule (but if they boys' natural rhythm flows unobstructed, they would play and watch TV most all day, and then want some stories at night before bed). Where is the happy medium?
We can't seem to get started early either, sometimes we can't even get started until after lunch I've learned not to force it, it just doesn't work for us. Last year we hit a nice rhythm by doing as much work as we could before lunch-but without trying to cram everything in, and then we had our afternoon free and picked our work back up after dinner. This meant maybe an hour of work just after dinner?
#80 of 313 Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:

My Dd is six and my Ds is 4. DD will turn 7 in October.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#81 of 313 Old 08-13-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess ConsuelaB View Post
We can't seem to get started early either, sometimes we can't even get started until after lunch I've learned not to force it, it just doesn't work for us. Last year we hit a nice rhythm by doing as much work as we could before lunch-but without trying to cram everything in, and then we had our afternoon free and picked our work back up after dinner. This meant maybe an hour of work just after dinner?
I like the idea of trying and do what we can before lunch without cramming or stressing.

#82 of 313 Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
My ds will be 5 in three weeks, and dd will be 2 in a couple of weeks. I'm not worried about my kindergarten kid, but my 2yo is a handful. I'm probably doing as much prep to organize activities to keep her busy as I am to get ready to homeschool my son!

Kelly
#83 of 313 Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I'm so excited I re-found this blog based on The Handbook of Nature Study. I also am going to start reading The Burgess Bird Book for Children when we finish reading The Little Prince.
What a great blog! I'm definitely doing this, as well. I recently bought The Handbook & thought this would be a great way for dh to get involved but I had no idea how to direct him. I was ok with randomness but if I show him this, maybe he'll embrace "the challenge." Also, the time comittment is perfect for a full time workin' dad.

Quote:
6, 4 & 2. DD2 will be 5 in December but we're still holding off on anything structured with her so it will just be DD1 this year. Most of what we do is just learning through experiences, though, so she's along for the ride.

Quote:
Does anyone here strive to be done by lunch? Or does anyone here use the afternoons for some school-stuff too?
I'm planning on taking it day by day. I'm a newbie to the structured thing so I have no idea what kind of rhythm we'll need in our day. What I DO know, though, is that we like to get out of the house! DS still naps 75% of the time so ideally we'll do a few things while he's sleeping in the afternoons.

Do any of you have a 4-day week? I'm thinking about taking one day off a week to either do something spontaneous or plan a big adventure into the city or even to do regular housework. Mama still has a house to run! As it is, DD1 will have a couple co-op classes on Monday, we'll do a few things on Tuesday, perhaps take Wednesday off, pick it up on Thursday & Friday and enjoy the weekend.

stephanie asl.gif

#84 of 313 Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Do any of you have a 4-day week? I'm thinking about taking one day off a week to either do something spontaneous or plan a big adventure into the city or even to do regular housework. Mama still has a house to run! As it is, DD1 will have a couple co-op classes on Monday, we'll do a few things on Tuesday, perhaps take Wednesday off, pick it up on Thursday & Friday and enjoy the weekend.
I'm plnning on having 3 days of instruction. Monday, Wednesday and Friday we'll stay home (I need to set limits on myself or we'd be out every day. I'm not so worried about the kids' school work as much as crazy things like laundry and dinner, kwim?

On Tuesday we have piano, with possibly Y classes and library (or just grocery shopping), on Thursday we have co-op. Oh and any appointments will be scheduled on those days as well. I really don't want to break up the 3 days we'll be home any more then we'll have to!

Mandy, Jesus loving, homebirthing, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding, non-vaxing, food growing, homeschooling, hippy mama of 4.
#85 of 313 Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmandy View Post
I'm plnning on having 3 days of instruction. Monday, Wednesday and Friday we'll stay home (I need to set limits on myself or we'd be out every day. I'm not so worried about the kids' school work as much as crazy things like laundry and dinner, kwim?
Yeah, ours will essentially be 3 days, too, since we also have a co-op day. I like how you said, "3 days at home." That needs to be my goal! Or maybe 2.5 days, I can see us having co-op day, a full day at home, a free day for playdates or "field trips," another full day at home and then a morning of some structured work followed by more playtime outside the house. I haven't really thought of it in these terms but I like it! Thanks for planting a seed....

stephanie asl.gif

#86 of 313 Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM

We belong here mostly. We use Calvert for a base but supplement with History Odyssey and Artistic Pursuits and Right Start math. We also have swimming twice a week and a class at the nature center. I "practiced" homeschooling with the kids last year and what I learned is that we need more days at home. So I'm limiting us to 2 classes right now and concentrating on being at home.

DH and I share a car so it will be easier to stay home once the weather turns colder.

DD is 5 and will be starting kindergarten in a week or so. DS will just cruise along with us.

I think our schedule will be to do a little bit everyday. DH works nights, weekends, and days so we'll just all work around his schedule probably. I worry that it won't be the structure DD is craving so we may have to shift that someday soon.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#87 of 313 Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:

My girl just turned 6 on Wednesday! On Monday, I said "we can't just take the whole week off for her birthday!" and by Wednesday, that's exactly what was happening, but we had a great time and lots of living learning experiences (swimming, camping, dancing, even spelunking!) so no worries

Happy and in love with my family!
#88 of 313 Old 08-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post

We have four loosely structured days to our HS week. We school MTThF, taking Weds, Sat, Sun off. We really like having hump day off (it's our laundry day). She usually gets really into a project (paper dolls, finger-crocheting, etc.) and does it ALL DAY on our days off of school! So I'm not worried about missing out on the structured stuff that day---the play and getting really into her own work is just as important.

Happy and in love with my family!
#89 of 313 Old 08-16-2009, 10:28 PM

I hate when this thread is quiet. Everyone have a good weekend? Anyone doing anything special next week for "school?"

I'm still waiting for my box from Calvert and some stuff from History Odyssey. We did start art from Artistic Pursuits this weekend and DD loved it. Who'd have thought a grey pencil could make such neat stuff? I'm disappointed our local art supply store is going out of business.

At dinner tonight, I asked DD if she had a good day. She replied that it wasn't her favorite because we didn't do any school. I have tried so hard to give her this feeling of empty days filled with whatever possibility she could imagine and she's craving structure. It is so odd to watch your baby grow and become more mature. (I say this as I hear her father lecturing her about spit bubbles. :kik )

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#90 of 313 Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 PM

Well I hope we can still belong here, since dd is now doing part-time school. She started last Wednesday, so we are figuring out how to combine homeschool and some time in school. She is enjoying History Odyssey Ancients with my dad. They are currently reading The Epic of Gilgamesh. She's enjoying Treasure Island for Lightning Literature, and making progress in her Latin from Artes Latinae. We need to catch up on our homeschool Spanish co-op, but hope to do that tomorrow. It is crazy busy but so far she is quite happy about it.

We had a great weekend. Dd got to ride in her first horse show and ended up Reserve Champion in her division. She was very proud. She also got in a long play date with one of her best friends, got all her homework done for school, and found a cool new feature on the online game she likes - Howrse.
Of course, she still needs to work on her disaster area of a room and put away her laundry! LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page