We need another Eclectic thread! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 313 Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You all are making me hungry to start Latin.

DD doesn't "appear" to have any interest in reading yet either, Rivers.
I say appear that way because she has just started bringing me books to read to her in the past couple of months. I just think some kids learn to read at a different pace and it's hard (and we're doing curriculum!) to trust that process sometimes. Is he actively resisting you? Are you fighting about it? 5 would be early to be really reading anyway, right?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#242 of 313 Old 09-07-2009, 03:40 PM

Wow, lots of exciting topics to think about! I'll probably forget half the things I wanted to say, but here goes...

• momofmine: We're using RightStart too. We started with MUS and Singapore, but I totally love RightStart now, and I'm pretty positive we'll just stick to that, maybe some Singapore worksheets if needed.
  • Jennifer3141: I'm hungry for Latin too, there's nothing stopping me, I have Song School Latin now, but I figured I'd wait until she turns 5 at least. In the meantime, I will learn it. My husband is teasing me, spouting off his Latin that he learned a long time ago. I don't think 5 is too early to learn a more complex phonetic language like English, but that is just me. Countries with a simple phonetic language start at age 6-7.
  • riversmommy: Continuing my thought above, I wouldn't worry about it. My daughter is progressing very fast on how to read, we are on lesson 63 of OPG, but I do NOT see her picking up the easy-reader books I lay around the house. However, she is noticing words and reading them off grocery items in stores, off signs, etc... I'm not worried she isn't reading actual books yet, I won't be pushing that until at least halfway through OPG. Or does your child just hate doing the actual OPG lessons? If that were the case, I might try HOP myself, it looks fun.
  • mangopassion: Where did you live in CO? Wish you still did, that would rock to have a hs'er nearby that I knew from MDC.
  • MyLittleWonders: We are sooo getting the Burgess Bird Book, ordering it tomorrow, will have it in my hands on Thursday. I loved reading your blog.
Our first full week has finished, we had a GREAT time! We added science, lots of art, music, and started getting into nature walks. I love homeschooling!

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#243 of 313 Old 09-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Thanks Angela! I'm glad to have inspired you with the Bird Book.

We are taking a trip to the local nature center (it's close enough to bike ride, but there's no safe way to get there with my pulling the trailer for ds#3, so we'll drive and buy an annual parking pass). I'm packing the bird guides and picking up one of the sheets they have of local birds to the area.

This week is a short one for us as dh is home today. The boys are playing "indoor volleyball meets beachball with a balloon" right now and I'm realizing as long as dh or I sit there and referee, they get a good workout! We have the nature center tomorrow, PE on Wednesday and our first art coop with our friends on Friday.

I am so anxious to get our Song School Latin. I think this week I'll sit down with our schedule and Minimus and start planning out what I want to do when. I figured 2 days of SSL and 2 days of Min. would give us some good exposure to Latin for the year. I also think we are going to start a "small" craft of making feudal system dioramas. I found the idea in the book Knights and Castles that I borrowed from my friend. I'm not sure if we'll get all 4 levels plus the bishops done, but hopefully we can make one or two (I thought we'd list all 5 (kings, nobles, knights, peasants and bishops) and pick our top favorite to work on, and then go from there. We'll have to see (I'm not the greatest on finishing projects that take more than one day ).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#244 of 313 Old 09-08-2009, 02:08 AM

For those using Minimus for Latin, or thinking about it, here is a blog by Minimus the mouse. I haven't gone through it too much, but it looks cute. Here is the Minimus official website.

#245 of 313 Old 09-08-2009, 09:36 AM

It's the first day of school around here. Am I the only one who giggled this morning watching the buses go by?

I bought Lively Latin last year and DD was in no way ready for it. Think Song School would be better for that age? (And the 4 year old DS?)

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#246 of 313 Old 09-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmine View Post
Hey LTB!! Thanks so much for the recommendation! I had forgotten about that one too.

Which math curriculum are you doing? We have Right Start math, and I like the foundation that gives.
We are doing Singapore math for Kindy this year. I like that it transitions smoothly from kindergarten to high school, and that it has such a strong record of success. We will see how DS likes it, though, since it's new to us.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#247 of 313 Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
It's the first day of school around here. Am I the only one who giggled this morning watching the buses go by?

I bought Lively Latin last year and DD was in no way ready for it. Think Song School would be better for that age? (And the 4 year old DS?)
I'm hoping my SSL comes today; when it does, I'll post to the thread about how it is going with both my 8 year old and 5 1/2 year old. (I'm guessing my 3 year old will love memorizing the songs.) How old was your dd when you tried Lively Latin?

#248 of 313 Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 PM

Well, once again I had a couple of good days and then pooped out. I'm posting in an attempt to get us going again. We really like the stuff we've been doing, it's just a matter of doing it. It's so easy to let the day pass and never start any school stuff.

Leigh

#249 of 313 Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I'm hoping my SSL comes today; when it does, I'll post to the thread about how it is going with both my 8 year old and 5 1/2 year old. (I'm guessing my 3 year old will love memorizing the songs.) How old was your dd when you tried Lively Latin?
Uh, 4.

We had park day today for our homeschool co-op. so we spent almost 3 hours there, recycled, did laundry at the laundromat, grocery shopped, hit the library, and donated some old clothes. I may need 3 days off to recover.

We did zip for "school" today which tickled the heck out of me since it's the first day of school around here.

#250 of 313 Old 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
We are doing Singapore math for Kindy this year. I like that it transitions smoothly from kindergarten to high school, and that it has such a strong record of success. We will see how DS likes it, though, since it's new to us.
You'll have to let us know how you guys like it. I do like Right Start a lot. I feel like it really gave my older ds a really good foundation, with the concept of grouping numbers by 5s and 10s. But I have wondered about transitions later.

Quote:
I was looking at some sample chapters online, and Latin for Children and Lively Latin I thought seemed pretty complicated for anyone's first intro. My older ds just turned 10, but I think I'm going to go with something super simple to start.

I was just reading in WTM though about how it's a good idea to have 1-2 yrs of English grammar under the belt though. We haven't done any formal grammar. DS1 has been reading for almost 5 years though, and I feel like he has a lot of knowledge just from that. Plus, we talk about it, have read stories that introduce grammar concepts, etc. Do you think we need to do a formal grammar thing?

Math is really the only sit-down curriculum type program we've even done. Everything else so far has been so effortlessly acquired through real-life experiences, reading books, field trips, talking about things, etc. :

But I do feel now he is ready for more academic-type sit-down stuff.
#251 of 313 Old 09-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I'll tell you what makes me giggle (and cringe for the poor little kids) is the bus rumbling to a stop to pick up kids at our crossroads - at 6:50 in the morning!! It doesn't drop them back off until 3:30 - even the little six year old first graders. We live five minutes from the school, and they are picked up an hour 20 min before it starts and it takes them an hour to get home... amazing isn't it? So I while my kids are cozy in bed (and sometimes I am too), I listen to the bus go by and am glad in my heart that my kids aren't on it!

gardening : SAHM to ballerina (6/15/02) and son (5/18/05) still for my husband. Independent Childbirth Educator
#252 of 313 Old 09-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Those poor little kids! What is become of our society? Seriously. Sigh.

So we were going to wait a week and half before our first day of school and we didn't make it that long. We were all too impatient. We started on math yesterday and the boys LOVE it. We have now finished 1/20th of the entire kindergarten curriculum and they would do even more if I let them, too-- that's after just two days-- I have a feeling we will be moving onto to the first grade curriculum before the year is done.

And am I the worst mom ever if I admit that I HATE ART? It is SOOOO messy. Always such a mess, such a production, and they literally spend like 5 minutes doing their art pieces, so little thought goes into it, before they are ready to move on. I really fail to see much benefit in it at this age. Isn't everything they do "art", really? Must art for little ones really involve finger painting and glue? Blah. I know I know, it's good, we're probably going to do LESS art, though, and focus more on math-- they love that anyway!

BTW, the Singapore math books aren't just workbooks, they involve cutting and gluing and folding origami and stuff-- so that's really cool.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#253 of 313 Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 PM

I don't like art either; I hate all the prep and clean up for like you said, about 5 minutes of actually "doing" art. That is why this year I scheduled art for Fridays - that way we do it somewhat consistently so the boys feel like they are getting art time, but I don't have to stress too much about it. One Friday a month we'll be at my friend's house for art, one Friday a month we'll be doing some from Art in Story, and only 2 Fridays a month do I plan on letting the boys choose what they want (painting, etc.). I'm hoping that it'll be a good compromise instead of me always saying, "We'll paint *later* ... ."

#254 of 313 Old 09-10-2009, 12:16 AM

Lion, I laughed while reading your post. We are at the point in our Calvert curriculum where we are cutting up magazines while looking for shapes and gluing them into little books. Great. So now even the MATH is messy. :
I'm irked. They love it - but they don't really focus on the shapes for long. Soon someone's glued to the table or a chicken looks really cool and who cares what shape she is? And so it goes...
Somedays, you just have to surrender to it and get through it.

And my house looks like a tornado hit it tonight too.

#255 of 313 Old 09-11-2009, 11:53 PM

Hmmm, funny guys. Our homeschool could be art all day, and we'd all be happy. But our home has pretty much been an art studio for the last couple of years as DP and I both are enrolled in arts-based programs.

Maybe we do art differently, tho, because we don't do fingerpaints (except in the bath tub, honestly!), and gluing (stick, the bottle is annoying) and cutting is not something that I "do" for school---it's more of her independent thing, and the little tiny pieces of paper drive me CRAZY!! She has to clean them up herself or loses collage privileges for a while!

For paints, I set her up on a little table over the linoleum and she really doesn't make a mess. If its just the cheap water-color cakes in a pan, then I let her do that in the living room, yes over the carpet.

I let my kid use sharpies! and my tables are ruined....but they needed refinished anyways Right now, she's into cutting shapes out of textured paper towel, coloring them intricately with sharpie, and then gluing those to a background, heh heh.

We do art every day, though, and I don't find it any more of a PITA than anything else. But maybe it's because she's not doing the typical kiddie craft?

Also, I'm grateful that her obsession is in the 2D art as it's easier to contain. I don't know what I'd do if she had the same passion for carving or water-based clay or something equally bulky and messy. And I don't do glitter. No. Not glitter. No. Anything but that.

Happy and in love with my family!
#256 of 313 Old 09-12-2009, 02:04 AM

We had a nice, slow first week

Went out to breakfast and spent the day at the zoo followed by attending a "not back to school" potluck at a park in the evening with other eclectic or unschooling families, on Tuesday.

Got back into History with our History Odyssey Level 1 ancients (started this last year)...

Started Artistic Pursuits...DS is not sold on sketching with a plain black sketch pencil The boy wants color...and also is super frustrated with not being able to draw like a "real artist"...he is mad that he is 5 and draws stick figures...I find it so strange because we are so relaxed...we do lots of art around here and it's perfectly fine with me if he doesn't want to do the lesson...or wants to change it up...but he was pretty mad. DD enjoyed it alot.

We are messing about with Moving Beyond the Page...trying it out and seeing if we like it at all (it was given to us by a friend who no longer homeschools) DD loves to read, so this may fit her well. There is a lot of writing with this curriculum...so we may need to tailor that as dd gets tired of writing after a while.

DS and I read a lot of stories. Built lego cars. Made playdough and he did his "Reading eggs" online.

Chandra F.
mom to DD (8) and DS (5)
#257 of 313 Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM

I mailed our first 20 lessons into Calvert this week. I'm so excited!!

#258 of 313 Old 09-13-2009, 03:28 AM

: Honestly, this last week was kind of a wash. We started out with a bang on Monday and just kind of petered out by the end of the week.

At the beginning of our year (July 1) I was very fastidious about planning and having materials ready to go, and last week I thought I could just wing it and insert stuff throughout the day. Nope.

So tomorrow I'm going back to picking everything out ahead of time and writing it down in the order we need to go for each day. I may re-institute the work box system but call it discovery box, haha.

We're trying FIAR again next week. The first two stories were great, but it felt a bit like picking the Oreo cookie apart with DD; she was kinda resistant to the discussions/activities. I guess after a couple more stories, we'll know if it's a good fit for us or not. I have this weird feeling that Maybe I'm Not Doing It Right : although I really do like the literature analysis aspect of it. Anybody else doing FIAR this year?

I'm all about giving it the old college try til mid-year; then we may just throw everything out and start over!

#259 of 313 Old 09-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Hi!

I've been lurking a bit and wanted to say "Howdy!"

I consider myself and eclectic/relaxed homeschooler. Yes, I know my kids are 9mos & 3.5, but we're definitely homeschooling! As in, they're at home and not in daycare/preschool. Does that count?

Our curriculum: (if you can call it that!)
We read books and DS has a few computer games he plays on occasion. We don't have network TV or cable, but we rent nature movies and Dora/Diego kind of stuff. I'm learning Spanish from them! We sign some. I have a sign dictionary, so we don't know the proper ASL grammer yet. DS is all about animals, so we get National Geographic Little Kids and Your Big Backyard for him. I end up reading those things a million times!! At the library he loves the nature books, Eyewitness books, Magic Schoolbus books and the story books, too. At night he and Papa watch "How It's Made" on YouTube before bed! Also, my MIL gave us the Abeka K5 and 1st grade curricula.

DS would love to "art" every day, but I'm not up for the mess. I like the idea of art on Fridays. I may pick a day of the week, and rotate supplies with the weeks. Hm, I could print a calender and work on days of the weeks and schedules.... *where's that bright idea smilie!?!*

I would also like to work on getting him more physical outlets, maybe I could schedule that, too....

I feel a little guilty. When DS was 9 months he had my complete and undivided attention! I did nothing but work with him, teach him, etc. With DD, not so much. I'm working part-time now, and when I am home, I have a three year old to deal with! He's definitely the squeaky wheel of the two. I have to remind myself even to read to her every day. She hears me read to DS, but his books are clearly not as engiaging to her!

Any thoughts on how to educate the baby while educating a 3yo? Maybe I should just relax? LOL! I'm partly upset that I just found out my friend's baby (who is younger!) is signing please. I haven't even shown DD please yet!! I've only done food and milk! While I know it's not a compitition and I shouldn't compare, I still feel guilty!!!

Sorry so long, and thanks for letting me jump in!!
-rockport

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#260 of 313 Old 09-13-2009, 11:54 AM

Just checking in.

We are still doing Charlotte's Web (kinda...they seem to drift interest wise but are making connections from reading so ) Also Ancient History. We are mostly focusing on the Bible's version of creation right now. Made some fun play dough.

I use Ray's for math. Boring compared to most programs but my kids LOVE it

Isn't is weird how we can have "plans" of what our children will like only to be surprised? : And so goes the life of a homeschooler!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#261 of 313 Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Welcome rockportmama! I was one of those who considered ourselves homeschoolers/homeschooling long before my oldest was of age for reporting in our state. It was a choice we made when he was very young (I think before he was 2) and so from then on, we were homeschoolers, and by the time he reached preschool age (3), I considered ourselves homeschooling. (You will find many opinions on the subject and even some heated debate, but I say whatever works for each family, yk?)

#262 of 313 Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Welcome rockportmama! I was one of those who considered ourselves homeschoolers/homeschooling long before my oldest was of age for reporting in our state. It was a choice we made when he was very young (I think before he was 2) and so from then on, we were homeschoolers, and by the time he reached preschool age (3), I considered ourselves homeschooling. (You will find many opinions on the subject and even some heated debate, but I say whatever works for each family, yk?)
I was the same way. I've never been pushy or anything though, since we've always leaned towards unschooling. But we knew we would homeschool since he was a toddler and now that he's really "preschool age", I feel like we can finally REALLY call ourselves homeschoolers. We don't have to report here until age 7 but I can't stay away from this forum until then!

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#263 of 313 Old 09-14-2009, 10:40 AM

I knew I wanted to homeschool the moment the kids were born. It took DH awhile longer - like this summer when he realized that our lifestyle would dramtically change because we'd have to work another schedule into our lives - then he came around FAST.

We're thinking about roadtripping the entire UP to go to a medical seminar at Mayo the first week in October. We wouldn't be doing that if the kids were in school. The kids and I would have to stay home instead of going adventuring.

So I'm with Urchin, I've always considered us homeschoolers. We went to homeschool co-ops for over a year before K began.

#264 of 313 Old 09-14-2009, 11:09 AM

I'm getting closer and closer to homeschooling. Will make a decision before winter comes. I should also try to chat with local hs'ing moms.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#265 of 313 Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Hi all, I have been reading along with the thread but this is my first chance to post!

We started school last Friday, and today is our 2nd day. DS1 is almost 7 and in 1st grade. My almost 4 yr old is in preschool MWF so those are our school days and we do trips or other non-academic stuff on T/TH.

Someone asked about FIAR, we are doing it and enjoying it! I don't do it 5 days in a row for sure, it probably takes us a few weeks to be thoroughly done with all the activities and discussions we want to do with a book. Plus, I think we would all get bored doing it every single day. Getting so deep into the books has really caused them to love the stories and have them become a real part of our lives and everyday conversations!

This year I am alternating FIAR days with Story of the World. I wasnt sure my ds would understand SotW or like it, but we're on Ch. 2 and so far so good. We're going to do some "cave drawings" this afternoon and perhaps try to build a shelter out of sticks later this week. He is already talking about Nomads all the time now!

Otherwise, we do Abeka math and language arts and Explode the Code 1-2x per week each in the mornings. And he is signed up for a homeschoolers art class, and will soon start piano lessons. Science and social studies are easy, he has so many interests and questions we basically just read books about outer space and look stuff up online and go to museums.

I have found it completely impossible to do school with my younger DS around. I don't know how others do it. It doesn't matter what kind of interesting activity I give him or how I try to get him involved in an age-appropriate way, he is done with it in about 30 seconds and talks our ears off the entire time and demands my attention. It is impossible for DS1 and I to concentrate on school work with him around, hence he has to go to preschool!! We were not able to do any schoolwork the entire summer because of this!
#266 of 313 Old 09-14-2009, 01:57 PM

I for one would enjoy having you around, Kali.
(She's always been one of my favorites! )

We've got about half of a lesson for DD done today. I have no idea what's on the agenda for DS. I haven't looked. Swimming lessons start today!

#267 of 313 Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I for one would enjoy having you around, Kali.
Well Hi there!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#268 of 313 Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockportmama View Post
I feel a little guilty. When DS was 9 months he had my complete and undivided attention! I did nothing but work with him, teach him, etc. With DD, not so much. I'm working part-time now, and when I am home, I have a three year old to deal with! He's definitely the squeaky wheel of the two. I have to remind myself even to read to her every day. She hears me read to DS, but his books are clearly not as engiaging to her!

Any thoughts on how to educate the baby while educating a 3yo? Maybe I should just relax? LOL! I'm partly upset that I just found out my friend's baby (who is younger!) is signing please. I haven't even shown DD please yet!! I've only done food and milk! While I know it's not a compitition and I shouldn't compare, I still feel guilty!!!

Sorry so long, and thanks for letting me jump in!!
-rockport
It sounds to me like you are doing everything right! I wouldn't fret one bit! AT 9 months she does not need to be taught. She needs to be with you, experience life, hear you talk and interact and read to your ds, everything you are already doing. Sounds like you are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

We're trying FIAR again next week. The first two stories were great, but it felt a bit like picking the Oreo cookie apart with DD; she was kinda resistant to the discussions/activities. I guess after a couple more stories, we'll know if it's a good fit for us or not. I have this weird feeling that Maybe I'm Not Doing It Right : although I really do like the literature analysis aspect of it. Anybody else doing FIAR this year?

I'm all about giving it the old college try til mid-year; then we may just throw everything out and start over!

I just wanted to give my experience and perspective on FIAR. Doing the curriculum as the book suggests would never have worked with my kids. Personally, what I loved FIAR for was the WONDERFUL book lists! I would never have discovered, and re-discovered, all those wonderful children's book titles if I had never seen that book. Robert McCloskey, How to Bake an Apple Pie and See the World, Owl Moon, just all of them! So wonderful! I was so tired of reading Thomas the Tank Engine and such and when I found that book I felt like I rediscovered chidren's literature! :

I have such fond memories of reading those books to my ds age 5 while nursing his little brother, for the first four or five months. It was wonderful. But, to be honest, I like enjoying each story for what it is, and we just felt that all those activities, and that whole set-up just took away from the joy of reading great children's literature. So personally, I say read the books, do a few activities if they sound fun and engaging to your LO, and move on.
#269 of 313 Old 09-15-2009, 01:56 AM

I figured it's about time I checked back in. We started "school" a few weeks ago. Things are going pretty good.
We are using sequential spelling for the first time, and are realy likeing it!! DS was over the moon when on his 5th lesson, he was able to spell "begining" perfectly. Only 4 days earlier he had no idea how to spell it! It was wonderful to see him light up and to see his confidence rise.
We are having fun with SOTW Vol. 1 moving kind of slow with it and adding a lot of other sources to add to what we are reading.
We are using Easy Grammer 3/4 for the first time. We haven't realy started it as we are still working on learning hte list of prepositions. ( any suggestions on how to make it more fun would be great!)
For math, we are working on memorizing multiplication facts. TimezAttack has come in handy for this. I've also been adding in a MathArt Project once a week.
Tomorrow we are going on a group fieldtrip with our homeschool group to Piedmont Ridge Ecostation, so that should be loads of fun.
Oh yeah, we are also doing a Basic Music Theory class from www.spaceded.com which is pretty cool. I've learned a lot, and recomend it to anyonw who doesn't know much about music theory but is interested.
Well, I'm sure there is more, but it's getting late and I can't think of it now.
Thanks everybody for providing this wonderful thread, I love hearing what others are doing and getting input from all of you.
#270 of 313 Old 09-19-2009, 12:38 AM

E&SMom--I had a teacher say "The birds fly _____ the clouds" and any word that would fit in the blank is a preposition. Put it to the test---sometimes the sentence is silly, but if a word fits in there, then it's a preposition. There may have been a handful that were exceptions, which would just need to be memorized from "the list". Oh, and thanks for the insight into sequential spelling, I may give that a go when DD is reading more independently.

Okay, so weekend update, folks. How'd everybody's homeschool week go?

I'd have to say that we were amazingly productive and low-stress this week. I believe this is for several reasons:
1. We are finally getting into a routine.
2. I am relaxing a bit and feel okay with dropping little stuff here and there rather than forcing our way through an activity just for the sake of sticking to "the plan".
3. I made a cheat sheet which really helps me a lot---just writing out all our daily stuff in one place (along with foreign lang. vocab and memory verse, etc.).
4. I've been a lot better about integrating a bit here and there throughout our day instead of trying to do everything all together before lunch.

Strangely, stepping up the pace in reading and math seems to have helped as well. Last month I was only giving V one word at a time to read; this week I've been giving her six (short) sentences at a time which we illustrate together, and she's really been excited about this.

Ditto with math---I decided to stick with our Singapore book until it gets too complicated, and then switch back to Miquon (I had previously been putting together packets from both workbooks, and noticed she favors the Singapore pages, so we're just going to stick with that for now).

Handwriting is another story, though. I can't wait until we get through the uppercase alphabet---this is the one area we struggle with; in math, for example, she gets frustrated writing the numbers but totally gets the concepts, so I've been writing what she tells me down (hope that's not "cheating"!) I want to get her numbers stickers so that writing issues don't affect her math.

Ummm, what else? Oh yes, we returned to FIAR and I'm really starting to see a good response to it, she's been enjoying figuring out what the artist/author is doing and finding the setting on the map (our first official map work!). It's our third "rowing" and we like it now! We were both a little disturbed by animal cruelty stuff in "Ping", but talking about that became part of our Science day and exploration of the story.

I'm still feeling like a bit of a slacker in the Science and Social Studies department. I'm really interested in the Montessori approach for these two subjects (Social Studies and Science seem so thorough in Montessori, no?), but can't seem to find a complete resource. Any suggestions?

We also have been slipping into a Friday routine of Dad reviewing her 3 ring binder while I make lunch, giving her an opportunity to demonstrate her retention of the week's work, and giving all of us a chance to see that, yes, we are actually making progress, which is very encouraging. So I like this, Dad sees how much we're doing, and she gets to review the work without it being an "official" or pressured thing.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to recently.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page