Well Trained Mind (support only) - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where did you find "required reading"?
Are you referring to the suggested reading in the SOTW activity guide or something else?

We are looking for more book suggestions to go along with our SOTW studies.

Not sure how to respond to your question about how to fit it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Here's our updated curriculum:
http://satorismiles.com/curriculum/k...m-spring-2010/

I am still refining it, we only started back this week. My daughter is also a late birthday 5 year old. We are calling this spring to be kindergarten, even though she does 1st grade work (perhaps some touching 2nd). My husband wanted me to just say we're doing 1st grade, but for sure I will wait until at least this summer 2010.

Quick mama thoughts...

SOTW/HISTORY
I was worried that I might be starting SOTW a bit too early still, but we started just this week and she begged me to read more. She can't wait to learn about the Egyptians. We have been doing read-alouds all this time and are now up to novels like Treasure Island, so I've noticed that her attention span and retention are quite amazing, I would say much better than mine, lol. We have tons of read-along books to complement SOTW. Since she's my only child, I have the time and energy to do some of the fun activities. I think now is the time to start for us.

GRAMMAR/WRITING
Yes I am starting early, but we had started successfully at 4.5 years. I then decided to hold off until she was reading a bit better. The Writing With Ease and First Language Lessons are very short and simple, so it should be a good introduction to the subjects. I have another writing program lined up in case we get bored.

LATIN/SPANISH
I have Song School Latin and La Clase Divertida. I'm not prepared to start either quite this month, but sometime this spring, definitely do one! I'm leaning towards the Spanish, as it would be easier for me (I have a Spanish degree and she already knows some.) I have all kinds of books (adult) that just arrived this week on teaching classical education and most focus on Latin/Greek... I have a feeling I may feel compelled to learn Latin myself and perhaps start it with her this spring.

SCIENCE
I understand following the 4 cycles for science, but we're starting with a quick but more thorough introduction to all science.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed trying to plan out all the new stuff! Plus I have just decided to give MYSELF a classical education.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oops. already posted the same thing in June.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
any one need to make updates or changes for 2010???
We are dropping Latin, adding French instead. We're moving on to the next level of Singapore math, and we added Math Mammoth. We also dropped the type of science that we were doing and started Rod and Staff's science. We are almost finished with cursive instruction, and then we'll be ready to move onto just writing.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 AM

do tell me more about : Rod and Staff's science ....

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
do tell me more about : Rod and Staff's science ....
I just wrote about it here: http://concordiaclassicalacademy.blo...-answered.html

Something to note is that science as a separate subject currently doesn't start until grade 2 with Rod and Staff. It's definitely conservative Christian. My DD1 really likes it.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:12 PM

Well, I need to talk with dh this weekend, but I think we're going to add Singapore MPH 3/4 science for ds#1 and their Earlybird 1/2 science for ds#2. I had one glorious day of science this year and then we never quite did it again. Singapore sounds like a wonderful program (I love their math program and would have stuck with it if ds#1 wasn't visually overwhelmed when he was younger; we'll go back to Singapore - with Life of Fred - when he finishes Miquon), and it would actually get done.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
I just wrote about it here: http://concordiaclassicalacademy.blo...-answered.html

Something to note is that science as a separate subject currently doesn't start until grade 2 with Rod and Staff. It's definitely conservative Christian. My DD1 really likes it.
i will go read that post, i need to catch up on your blog I always learn so much

Consertive Christan sounds great

but we are far from 2nd grade But that is ok, i like where we are,

Can you share a link for this: Earlybird 1/2 science

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 01-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
i will go read that post, i need to catch up on your blog I always learn so much

Consertive Christan sounds great

but we are far from 2nd grade But that is ok, i like where we are,

Can you share a link for this: Earlybird 1/2 science

Aimee
Here is the EarlyBird Science for grades 1/2. And here is the link for their K level science. I really hope dh agrees that it's a good program (and it's cheap - something else I have always appreciated about Singapore!) because I need something to help me make sure we do science. I've realized I do much better with a curriculum as my foundation; we can then go down rabbit holes if we wish, but I have something on which to fall if I need.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM

bump

Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM

Thanks for bumping this thread up!

I'm very new to this. I just got The Well Trained Mind book this Christmas (though I have had it on my wish list at amazon for about 5 years!) My children are 9, nearly 8, 5 and 2. We have tried Waldorf homeschooling and unschooling, but they didn't seem to work very well for us. Last year we followed a classic-ish approach. I'm not sure TWTM is quite the right approach for my boys. My almost 8 year old is still not reading and is really struggling with it - the 5yr old has pretty much over taken him in reading ability. Both boys are left handed and really struggle with writing. But we're giving it a go anyway!

I am pretty much going back to the beginning, having them all on the same level. We are all doing FLL together, and history together - my dd writes her narrations while I write the boys for them. I'd really like to start Writing With Ease with them all, but it seems a bit pointless if the boys can't really write yet.

We are having a break this week, but I hope to start some science next week. I am probably going to buy the REAL Science Odyssey Earth & Space book. It is out of sync with TWTM recommendations but my boys are really interested in space right now.

So far we are all enjoying it (most of the time!). They are all so pleased with themselves that they can recite a bunch of poems I feel like it does take me a bit of time planning and organisation in the evenings, but I feel like *I* am learning so much! It probably sounds terrible but I never learned grammar at school. Maybe I was just absent on the day they taught it? Reading through FLL scared me at first! But now I have a better understanding of grammar. I didn't learn much history at school. I always thought it was boring, but it is actually very interesting.

Looking forward to hanging out here and learning more
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah0404 View Post
Thanks for bumping this thread up!

I'm very new to this. I just got The Well Trained Mind book this Christmas (though I have had it on my wish list at amazon for about 5 years!) My children are 9, nearly 8, 5 and 2. We have tried Waldorf homeschooling and unschooling, but they didn't seem to work very well for us. Last year we followed a classic-ish approach. I'm not sure TWTM is quite the right approach for my boys. My almost 8 year old is still not reading and is really struggling with it - the 5yr old has pretty much over taken him in reading ability. Both boys are left handed and really struggle with writing. But we're giving it a go anyway!

I am pretty much going back to the beginning, having them all on the same level. We are all doing FLL together, and history together - my dd writes her narrations while I write the boys for them. I'd really like to start Writing With Ease with them all, but it seems a bit pointless if the boys can't really write yet.

We are having a break this week, but I hope to start some science next week. I am probably going to buy the REAL Science Odyssey Earth & Space book. It is out of sync with TWTM recommendations but my boys are really interested in space right now.

So far we are all enjoying it (most of the time!). They are all so pleased with themselves that they can recite a bunch of poems I feel like it does take me a bit of time planning and organisation in the evenings, but I feel like *I* am learning so much! It probably sounds terrible but I never learned grammar at school. Maybe I was just absent on the day they taught it? Reading through FLL scared me at first! But now I have a better understanding of grammar. I didn't learn much history at school. I always thought it was boring, but it is actually very interesting.

Looking forward to hanging out here and learning more
just remember not to stress out about it -- it is a guideline -- not a set in stone MUST DO THIS -- and the joy of homeschooling is working with each child at their level.

I would ease up and reinforce reading skills for a while it you need to.

Aimee

Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Here is the EarlyBird Science for grades 1/2. And here is the link for their K level science. I really hope dh agrees that it's a good program (and it's cheap - something else I have always appreciated about Singapore!) because I need something to help me make sure we do science. I've realized I do much better with a curriculum as my foundation; we can then go down rabbit holes if we wish, but I have something on which to fall if I need.
THANKS that sicence (k level) looks great for us.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:24 PM
MJB

I think we are going to homeschool my 7yo again next year (he's in school for the first time this year) and do a WTM sort of thing. Here's what I was planning on starting with at the beginning of 2nd grade:
All About Spelling level 1
Handwriting Without Tears Printing Power
First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind
The Complete Writer Level 2
Story of the World Vol 1 Ancient Times text and activity book
Singapore Math 2A

For science we'll get books on animals, the human body, plants, and evolution from the library. I might add Spanish if it seems like we have time. We might move quickly through AAS level 1 and go to level 2, and I don't think Singapore 2A will take long either.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I think we are going to homeschool my 7yo again next year (he's in school for the first time this year) and do a WTM sort of thing. Here's what I was planning on starting with at the beginning of 2nd grade:
Singapore Math 2A

For science we'll get books on animals, the human body, plants, and evolution from the library. I might add Spanish if it seems like we have time. We might move quickly through AAS level 1 and go to level 2, and I don't think Singapore 2A will take long either.
Looks like a good plan to me!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Singapore Math 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
Looks like a good plan to me!
Me too. Is he already reading on grade level? If so, you might breeze through AAS level 1; but it is very good at laying the foundation for the later books (they get "meatier" as you go; it is a wonderful program).

Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 PM
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Me too. Is he already reading on grade level? If so, you might breeze through AAS level 1; but it is very good at laying the foundation for the later books (they get "meatier" as you go; it is a wonderful program).
He is reading on grade level, but his spelling isn't great. He can spell CVC words and anything with a long vowel gets a silent e. His school doesn't really teach spelling.
Also he loves art and will work with oil pastels and clay pretty much any chance he gets. We'll hit the art galleries monthly and maybe read about some great artists along with letting him create.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
He is reading on grade level, but his spelling isn't great. He can spell CVC words and anything with a long vowel gets a silent e. His school doesn't really teach spelling.
Also he loves art and will work with oil pastels and clay pretty much any chance he gets. We'll hit the art galleries monthly and maybe read about some great artists along with letting him create.
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Was-Pablo-...ref=pd_sim_b_8

check this out:

Who Was Pablo Picasso? (Who Was...?)

there are others --

Aimee

User Tag List