Teaching music and foreign language - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody, we are likely transitioning from a waldorf school to waldorf homeschooling. I've seen lots of great curriculums out there but I don't see a lot about teaching foreign languages or musical instruments like a flute. I feel like I can handle most of the other stuff but I don't know any foreign languages or how to play an instrument. DS already knows quite a bit of basic German, spanish, and flute playing since he has finished first grade. I would like to continue to cultivate those but I don't know where to look to for help. I have six months before we transition so I'm just wondering if anyone has ideas, resources, or any other tips for teaching myself what I need to know before then. It feels a little overwhelming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 AM

hi there. I am brand new to the boards and don't know where you live but in Canada or in manitoba specifically, even if you hs your children you can send them to ps for specialty classes like music and languages.
I'm not sure if you have that option but it is something to consider maybe.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 AM

We use the community center and their teachers. It's a reasonable price ($50 or so a month for Saturday half-hour classes), so I don't mind paying it.

I don't believe homeschooling is the home teaching everything, but the home taking charge of the education. There's no way I'd be able to teach my child the way a native speaker could, or a professional player could. I'll draw on their talents to help get where he wants to go.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
I don't believe homeschooling is the home teaching everything, but the home taking charge of the education. There's no way I'd be able to teach my child the way a native speaker could, or a professional player could. I'll draw on their talents to help get where he wants to go.
:

DS is 5-1/2yo and we tried some of the lower-age-targeted language programs (Hooked On Phonics is one of them) and he seriously just blew right through it (talk about a waste of money . So we're now going to enroll him in a private children's language lesson program. Where I live there aren't a lot of options (I think 2-3) but I've investigated relocating and I now know that's actually a lot.

And we found a place that gives children's musical instrument lessons. It's an arts organization that also does drama and song (through adult) and has tie-ins to youth orchestras, etc. (I hate that I'm relocating... sorry... had to say it) and they do a special needs instrument lesson. My son is way ahead in some ways and way behind in others. He's taking violin and will act like he's not paying attention, but then will spit back what he was just taught dead-on. At the same time, he has fine motor issues that make fingering difficult. The lessons are done with the parent in the room as a "train the trainer" type lesson where *I* am taught how to work with him to practice all week... so it's awesome for a hser.

If you can find those free little parent magazines and directories around--seek them out for music and language resources. Call and ask them about their organizations and programs to see what fits you best and which ones have the most to offer in experiences and resources. Check the local YMCA's and your school district and community college's "enrichment" programs. Some of our community colleges run "college for kids" with some pretty cool programs.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM

We are learning foreign language as a family via Rosetta Stone.

For music, our kids go to music lessons with a music teacher once a week. I would not be qualified to teach this subject!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
We are learning foreign language as a family via Rosetta Stone.

For music, our kids go to music lessons with a music teacher once a week. I would not be qualified to teach this subject!

This is our plan too.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter takes a German class outside of the home and for music, I bought one of those intructional audio Cd's that comes with rhythm sticks so your child can learn to make a rhythm to fun songs. We'll see how that goes.

:
Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 PM

If you live near a college/university I would check with their music dept to see if they offer children's classes or have students willing to teach. Our local university offers a program designed for music majors who are heading towards teaching and need "practice" so they offer low fee/free lessons and you and their professors grade them on their efforts/planning and such.

User Tag List