: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#302 of 397 Old 10-20-2009, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
I am wondering about books for verses? I need one for the mornings
You can also pick up books of verses and nursery rhymes from your library. We used tons of Mother Goose, and here are some of the others we liked:

A Child's Seasonal Treasury by Betty Jones; The Frog Wore Red Suspenders or The Dragons Are Singing Tonight by Jack Prelutsky; Hist Whist and Other Poems for Children by E.E. Cummings, Ill. by David Calsada; In Every Tiny Grain of Sand: A Child's Book of Prayers and Praise by Reeve Lindberg (lovely book which draws on many different spiritual and religious traditions); A Light in The Attic or Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein; Poetry Speaks to Children edited by Paschen, Raccah & Giovanni; readings online at NPR; Wynstones Press series Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring; (poems, songs, and just a few stories)

Warm regards,

Lucie

still homeschooling holistically with my two boys, 14 & 10
#303 of 397 Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Thank you!!!!

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#304 of 397 Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM

I have been considering Waldorf for many years. We have incorporated some (very few actually) aspects into our lives over the course of my son's childhood. He attended a public Montessori school for six weeks and was taken out a couple of weeks ago. So, he really likes the manipulatives for math and what not. I'm trying to develop an integrated approach but keep coming back to Waldorf for the rhythm, nature, and fairy tale aspect. Some people have suggested Enki, but it seems overwhelming and super expensive. So, I have been looking at LiveEd. Any opinions on this? I was thinking about doing our own math curriculum along side, do you think that would work ok? He already knows his letters, so I know he won't want to spend extended periods on each of them. How is the first grade set up? I guess I just need someone to tell me a little bit about it to see if it will work for us.
#305 of 397 Old 10-27-2009, 05:33 PM

i just posted a thread over in the waldorf forum but thought it might be something you guys might have some thoughts on. my question is how to handle *my* feelings of boredom/restlessness with the "weekly rhythm".

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1154154

~erin
#306 of 397 Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 PM

I found a link to some sample main lesson book pages for the new Making Math Meaningful (the Waldorf one of course, for grades 1-5). I've been wondering what's in there, so I was really happy to find it!

http://web.me.com/meaningfulmathbook...hool_Math.html

I've ordered it, so I'll post a review at some point in case someone is interested. I just had to go for it and order some more math resources...I need inspiration! I ordered Dorothy Harrer's book as well, probably overkill, but there you have it.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#307 of 397 Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Hi, just want to join in! We are waldorf homeschoolers using Enki's Kindergarten very loosely, since we'll be doing two years of K. I'm so glad someone started this thread because I feel so NOT at home in the general homeschooling thread.

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

#308 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 12:10 AM

how is everyone doing? any plans for the coming weeks... lots of great things to be doing!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#309 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
how is everyone doing? any plans for the coming weeks... lots of great things to be doing!
Well, we're actually just getting started being Waldorfy... I've been introducing a few things over a few weeks and now that I got "the book" (the Christopherus basic guide) I started doing more.

So far, we're just plain running out of time. We're just doing a form drawing main lesson for 2 weeks (he's 11 but we're starting at the beginning with forms), as well as continuing his regular math, french, spelling and handwriting practice. The math takes about and hour, french is 15-20, spelling is less than 5 and handwriting is 15. We're doing 30-45 minutes of form drawing.

Add to that, circle time (which DD3 participates in), which includes some exercising and recorder, and some handwork and/or painting. Should be doable, right?

Well, add in meals and cleaning up, and don't forget outside time, or free creative play time. Oh, and of course I have my own work I need to do at some point. And DD3 needs attention, and not always at the most convenient times (in terms of working with DS).

Before we know what's hit us, it's 4pm, half the plans still haven't been done, and it's time to get ready for gymnastics.

So... we're still tweaking. I'm trying to figure out what things should be done every day, and what can be spread out. We're still not doing enough creative art IMO, still not enough nature, still haven't managed to include cooking or cleaning much... and it's still just too crazy frantic. When I try calming things down, he just turns into a lethargic sloth and NOTHING gets done.

I really, really want to get this kind of 'calm mindful focus' that Waldorf is supposed to foster. You know, light a candle, say a verse, the child will be mesmerized and brought into themselves and peace will reign. Um, nope. Form drawing -- meditative and calming. Uh, nope.

Don't get me wrong, he's enjoying all the new stuff. Especially when I remember to work it into storytelling in some way (form drawing... booooring... are we done yet... "this is a dolphin leaping from the water" ooohhhhh coool I need to draw the dolphin now!) And he LOVES knitting!!!

It's probably mostly because of the challenge of working things with a busy 3yo at my heels, but things are still just crazy around were with less actually getting done. So, still trying to find the right balance, find the rhythm that works for us.

Now, as for the next few weeks, after another week of Form Drawing focus, the next main lesson will indeed be Christmas stuff... I've got a bunch of ebooks I've downloaded, going to read some Dickens, make an Advent calendar... should be fun!

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#310 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 12:31 PM

you may find it is easier to not try and do everything everyday. that has worked best for us, OR try doing "School time" only 3 days a week, so you have other days to do things like be outside for long periods and do classes outside of home.
sometimes i think that calmness just comes with time and the parents having that inner calmness (i know most days i don't lol. i am all over the place, BUT i am getting better).
i have really enjoyed the schedule made by woman who does the little garden flower. she has a yearly, monthly, weekly, daily sort of thing. yearly gives you a general out look of what you want to do for the year (like what MLB you are going to focus on), monthly is what you plan to do that month, weekly what is going to happen that specific week, and then a daily rhythm that can be teeked for each household. the yearly thing is awesome. i folded a paper up into 12 squares, wrote what we are doing for MLB, the holidays, birthdays, feildtrips, classes, etc. so like for december... MLB hibernation, all the winter holidays (St Nick, Advent, St lucia, winter solstice, christmas), birthdays (none for us) any classes the kids are taking (we are doing an thing with the local HS group on thursdays so thursdays will have no "school" work as we will be busy for a big chunck of that day). hth...

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#311 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 12:48 PM

Hello!

I am Kristen and I will be homeschooling our then 5 year old daughter in fall 2010 for kindergarten. We live in Florida and the public school system is atrocious here. I am leaning towards Waldorf, but I am so overwhelmed with where to begin that I have no clue.

What would be one simple resource that you would recommend to me to get a background on waldorf education?

Thanks so much.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#312 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 01:26 PM

I really love "Heaven on Earth" great book. and the website little acorn learning has great (and inexpensive) monthly guides, that are 3-5 days a week. my LOs really enjoy it. hth

h

#313 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 01:49 PM

I second "Heaven on Earth". It's the best single thing you could buy and it'd be applicable NOW. For a feel for Waldorf Education as a big picture, consider the Christopherus Overview Guide or a real-life account of one class' journey from K through 12 in a Waldorf School - "School as a Journey".

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

#314 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 04:54 PM

mamaofthree - Thanks for bumping up the thread! I was just thinking about doing that last night and got distracted.

tankgirl73 - Sorry to hear that things aren't going quite as well as you had hoped. Maybe you could back off a little bit and add things in one at a time? Then when things run a bit more smoothly or it feels like you've reached a point where you're in the groove with that one you can add in something else.

I'm just glad that my kids are young enough at this point that we don't have anything school wise to do. I think I would have ended up completely overwhelmed with the new baby coming and all that. I'm hoping to pick up a few more things in 2010 when we get a better feel for what three little ones will be like. I am getting better at trying to involve the kids in what I'm doing. I hate putting laundry away, but boy does it get put away quickly when the kids help. I've never seen laundry fly into drawers and such like that.
#315 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 PM

Things are going okay for us. We have come off of a hard 5 weeks of not being home on weekends and not having daddy around. It has messed up our rhythm a little bit as our parents allow more than we will in there home and it pretty much is what they say goes. Still the parents. DD1 is having a hard time right now, but I'm feeling like it is mostly my fault. I have been too busy trying to get done everything I feel pressured to do - mainly trying to organize and tidy the house. DH reminded me that we've never had a "tidy" house, but a lived in one and we aren't like other folks nor do we have regular 9-5 jobs so I shouldn't put that expectation on myself. Yet, there's the hope in my heart for a tidy Waldorf inspired home.

I have also decided to come up with my own curriculum using a few books and the Daily Guide from Little Acorn. I already have Festivals, Family, and Food. I'm going to get All Year Around and The Children's Year. I'd love to hear from others how they utilize www.mainlesson.com. I haven't figured it out yet.

I'm coming in on this on my last day for regular computer time. I'm acknowledging that I need to pull back from trying to find answers on message boards and facebook and just observe my children. I need to be with them more. I'm on the computer way too much. So, starting tomorrow I'm not visiting the websites, but I will subscribe to this thread so I can keep up and comment when relevant as it pertains to the work I am going to submerse myself in.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#316 of 397 Old 11-23-2009, 10:52 PM

eastkygal: i feel for you! and i know of what you speak. i have had to do this occationally to bring myself back into focus. i have often wondered if "we" spent as much time being with our kids, if we would need so many parenting books. lol good luck mama!

h

#317 of 397 Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM

I was trying to find the little acorn site you ladies were chatting about, but I can't.

I do have one question about the philosophy. My husband is vaisnava and I am pagan, is waldorf really a religious leaning curriculum? not that it bothers me, but I would imagine I could adjust accordingly.

Thanks so much.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#318 of 397 Old 11-24-2009, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey all! We've been pulling back a bit. I think part of it is the season- it's definitely an "in-breathing" kind of time, and I can feel us all circling the wagons and sticking closer to home. But it's also that I was just trying to do too much. I'm getting out Melissa'a third grade book again, and wondering if I should get the fifth grade for Michael. I don't know, though.

We tend to do our main lesson blocks by the month, and I always get very excited when one month ends and another begins.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#319 of 397 Old 11-24-2009, 05:41 PM

I agree Annette, it is this time of year - time to be introspective. I LOVE your new Advent e-book Annette....Has everyone seen that yet? Thank you for taking the time to create it. I have been posting a lot about Advent on my blog as well.
I am glad to hear you are pulling out Melisa's stuff, Annette. Her Be A Beacon program (inner work for mothers) is also great!
We are finishing up a second grade math block here, and moving into a Saints block on Saint Nicholas and Saint Francis in December with Language Arts. January we are back to math...Knitting is going well, my second grader has finished a sachet, a scarf, an eye glasses case. We are also doing a lot of movement - jumping rope, drawing with our feet, etc.
My Kindy child is doing a forest circle in November and the story of "The Swan Geese"....Looking forward to December!!

Blessings to all!

Warmly,
Carrie
#320 of 397 Old 11-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Aw, thanks, Carrie.

I love, love, love Advent. When I taught preschool that had a wrap-around program (it was essentially a child care center, and very mainstream), I realized that in December the kids would start to get kind of antsy around 4:30. It was dark and their parents weren't there yet and I think it made them nervous. So we would light a candle in the room and turn out the lights (or, as we say here in PA, "outen the lights" LOL!) and sing songs and tell stories. It was just so peaceful! And the parents would come, but instead of rushing in and out again they would sit and snuggle and tell their own stories and share their own songs. This time of year always reminds me of that, and I love when 4:30 comes along and my kids start really wishing Daddy was here, and I can light a candle and I have soup bubbling on the stove. I have a lot of happy memories tied up in the Advent season!

I haven't decided yet what we'll do in December. We may just take the month off of official main lessons, or I might do an OT block with my third grader and ???? with my fifth grader. My kindy kid will definitely just be doing some Christmas-y seasonal stuff. I'm thinking we might center it on the Spindlewood story, which I love. And I might treat myself to Melisa's Be a Beacon program. It sounds like something I could use!

Carrie, I'm really looking forward to your Advent series on your blog!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#321 of 397 Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM

here is a link to little acorn learning: http://www.littleacornlearning.com/

hth

h

#322 of 397 Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendingbirch View Post
I agree Annette, it is this time of year - time to be introspective. I LOVE your new Advent e-book Annette....Has everyone seen that yet? Thank you for taking the time to create it. I have been posting a lot about Advent on my blog as well.
I am glad to hear you are pulling out Melisa's stuff, Annette. Her Be A Beacon program (inner work for mothers) is also great!
We are finishing up a second grade math block here, and moving into a Saints block on Saint Nicholas and Saint Francis in December with Language Arts. January we are back to math...Knitting is going well, my second grader has finished a sachet, a scarf, an eye glasses case. We are also doing a lot of movement - jumping rope, drawing with our feet, etc.
My Kindy child is doing a forest circle in November and the story of "The Swan Geese"....Looking forward to December!!

Blessings to all!
OOOhh...tell me more about the forest circle? That sounds so interesting!

We are also finishing up our 2nd grade math block. We will be starting our King of Ireland's Son Language Arts block and squeezing in some holiday prep stuff as well.

Melisa's Be A Beacon program sounded so wonderful and something I would benefit from but dh is still out of work and it just wasn't an expense I could justify (especially this time of year)

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#323 of 397 Old 11-27-2009, 04:55 PM

Hi Tanya,
I am pretty sure my cute little forest circle for November came off of www.waldorflibrary.org. I can't remember if it was from a back issue of Gateways or not, but there are several free circles published at Waldorf Library if you have time to sift through that site. It was cute, it has all the forest creatures getting ready and lantern songs, so it was good for November. I have been trying to post some things regarding Kindy and Second Grade on my blog as well.

I hope your block of King of Ireland's Son goes well! My daughter read that and we are going to read it together soon as well, but I didn't end up scheduling a block on it...Sounds like you are going to have a great time!

We ended up doing this -
Sept - 2 weeks Form Drawing from Cherokee Trickster Tales and 2 weeks Math
Oct- Language Arts/Fables
November Math
December Language Arts/Saints, Advent Crafts
Jan Math
Feb Language Arts/Saints and Heroes
March - Nature Block
April Math
May Form Drawing from Jataka Tales/ One Week Spring Block
June - Language Arts/ Saints/intro to cursive writing

It is fun to hear how everyone else scheduled their second grade blocks. I have been writing my own curriculum each year, although next year I may go with a pre-done one

Carrie

Warmly,
Carrie
#324 of 397 Old 11-27-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks Carrie! I also enjoy hearing what other 2nd graders are planning to do. I am using the Christopherus curriculum. I didn't feel like I would be able to plan and execute my own curriculum with the birth of my daughter in early June! While with every curriculum, there is need to make it your own, I like that everything was mostly there for me. Can I ask what materials you use for math? I feel like I need a little more inspiration when it comes to that.

Hope you (and everyone) had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#325 of 397 Old 11-27-2009, 10:46 PM

My dd is in first grade. I used a Waldorf curriculum last year but stopped when I had to go on bedrest for five months. My dd really wants to try again so I'm trying to figure it out as we go. I love it that this group is here.

:Mama to 2 :
#326 of 397 Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 AM

I'd like to join this thread! Hi Tanya

I am Chrissy, mama of the 4 in my signature and friend of Tanya

We just pulled my oldest out of school to homeschool again, and forever, I hope. He's in second grade too.

I have been collecting a bunch of resources in the hopes of planning my own 2nd grade curriculum, but with an infant and 3 other kids, I am just not finding the time. I feel like it is all swirling around in my head, but I am not sure I could suitably put it all together. So, I just bought A Little Garden Flower's 2nd grade e-book to hopefully help me put it all together. I'll keep you all posted as to how it works.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#327 of 397 Old 11-28-2009, 09:00 PM

Like so many of you, I have an infant as well...A seven week old. What saves me every year is doing my planning and writing over the summer so I have a day by day script I print out for each month and put in a binder with photocopies of all verses, stories, music, etc....

As far as math, I mixed Donna Simmons' second grade math with A Little Garden Flower's second grade math lessons and Dorothy Harrer's second grade lessons....I aligned them with the second grade math goals for my state and the second grade math goals mentioned by Ron Jarman in his Waldorf Math Book.

HTH!

Warmly,
Carrie
#328 of 397 Old 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM

So, I am reading through ALGF's 2nd grade, and Melisa recommends Eric Fairman's, A Path of Discovery Volume 2: Grade 2 as an additional resource. Does anybody here have that? Do YOU recommend it? I am thinking that I am going to skip it for this year, b/c I already have SO much, I feel like, but while I am thinking of it I wanted to ask for reviews from some MDC Waldorf mamas.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#329 of 397 Old 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM

I have it and while I think there are things of value in there, I think you could skip it. As I recall without the book in front of me, about half of it is assessment/observation instruction....

HTH!!

Warmly,
Carrie
#330 of 397 Old 12-02-2009, 12:14 AM

Lets talk Advent, St. Nicholas, and Christmas. What are we doing? How are we celebrating?

I am making my own curriculum for pre-K now and for the next two weeks the theme of Circle Time is snow. We have decorated for Christmas with our tree and stockings. We are also celebrating Advent for the first time ever this year. We have a wreath on the kitchen table. I have been searching for a way to bring some deeper meaning to the way that many Americans traditionally celebrate Christmas, which I think is devoid of any inkling of the spirit of either the pagan (everyone's) celebration of the Winter Solstice or the Christian (and friends) celebration of the birth of Jesus. Things are too commercial and my girls end up with way too many toys I'd rather they didn't have because no one takes our family choices seriously. (Maybe they are starting to?? And I am grateful for loving family.) I want us to have a tradition of looking inward and anticipating the light that comes with the changing of season and as Christians the birth and return of Christ. I want it to be a real holiday - magical.

I have never liked Christmas, myself. As a child I got irritated with having to make Christmas lists when I didn't really want all that much most of the time. I hated and still don't care for shopping. I don't like Christmas music aside from some of the religious hymns like Silent Night and We Three Kings. I want that to change. I'd like to love Christmas as much as Halloween.

So, we are going to be celebrating snow in song and verse, making ornaments for the tree and to give as gifts, and baking. I'd love to hear what others plan.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page