Waldorf Homeschoolers Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 397 Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having a little trouble with our school system, who wants a first grade filled with typical public school stuff. Has anybody had a similar situation? Given the nature of Waldorf, we aren't up to snuff in their eyes.....:
#62 of 397 Old 08-20-2009, 02:01 AM

oh, i like those little cones.

hey and thanks for the tip on the little garden flower! she has some great stuff! i ordered the 2nd grade and K for two of my boys. i sure hope that little acorn comes back in Sept. she didn't do anything for aug. her stuff was lovely this past winter. :

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#63 of 397 Old 08-20-2009, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga2roo View Post
I am having a little trouble with our school system, who wants a first grade filled with typical public school stuff. Has anybody had a similar situation? Given the nature of Waldorf, we aren't up to snuff in their eyes.....:
I've not dealt with this issue before, but I'm sure others have.

What is the school system wanting you to show? Is there testing or some other way they intend to confirm what you are covering in 1st grade?

There may be ways to 'spin' what you're doing to seem more in compliance, but it depends on those things...

Maryhippie.gif

#64 of 397 Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
hey and thanks for the tip on the little garden flower! she has some great stuff! i ordered the 2nd grade and K for two of my boys.
Great! I really love the Little Garden Flower materials!

Maryhippie.gif

#65 of 397 Old 08-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Has anyone gotten the Before the Journey book from A Little Garden Flower? I'm curious to know if it is a generalized, this is what rhythm is, type book or if it is more specific with it's ideas.

For those who have used A Little Garden Flower for older children, what have you loved about it? How has it helped? (I'm trying to get ideas as to what we might want to buy in the future, and ALGF is awfully economical!)

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#66 of 397 Old 08-21-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Allison,
I've not held the actual book in my hands yet...but my understanding that it is not just about Circle Time but actual ideas and activities for that pre-K age group...helping with getting the family into a good rhythm and such.

Hopefully someone on this thread can fill in the details. I do intend to get Before the Journey...I just haven't yet as my sons are both 'on the journey' and my wee-ist one is just 2.

Maryhippie.gif

#67 of 397 Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
Has anyone gotten the Before the Journey book from A Little Garden Flower? I'm curious to know if it is a generalized, this is what rhythm is, type book or if it is more specific with it's ideas.

For those who have used A Little Garden Flower for older children, what have you loved about it? How has it helped? (I'm trying to get ideas as to what we might want to buy in the future, and ALGF is awfully economical!)

I love that it has great lesson plans, ideas for festivals, and everything else!
It is easy to read,and it has great pictures of examples.

I have several grades and am happy to answer any specific questions. I also have the math book, which is AMAZING!

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

#68 of 397 Old 08-21-2009, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyKelly View Post
I have several grades and am happy to answer any specific questions. I also have the math book, which is AMAZING!
I have the math book as well. I love it! I also have the D. Harrer book that Melisa references often. Together I feel totally ready for math through grade 5. I also have a geometry book for grades 4 & 5 and I intend to buy Melisa's geometry curricula eventually.

Maryhippie.gif

#69 of 397 Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
I just got the Before the Journey ebook last week. I'm waiting for the DVD supplement to arrive in the mail. I have limited experience in Waldorf, but I do consider myself well-read on the subject.

The book is written from the perspectives of four women (one for each season) that are following Waldorf with their children. The chapters are an entire season's worth of entries from a journal of each woman's experience. The final chapter is an overview of rhythm and festivals and storytelling. I personally liked reading the journal entries because I've never seen Waldorf families outside of my own and while I understand the background, it's sometimes hard to figure out how to put it into actions.

When the time comes, I will definitely purchase the next level of the program. Also, the woman that writes the material is a joy to work with. HTH

Jen
Loving partner to Gia rainbow1284.gif and mama to heartbeat.gif (9/06) and A heartbeat.gif (1/09)

#70 of 397 Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 AM

I am interested in beginning Form drawing with at least DS this year (8) and am wondering where to begin. I see Beginning form drawing as well as Form drawing grades 1-4.... then should I get a special book to hold the work or will any paper do? What about writing instruments? I am very new and would love a little hand holding

TIA!
Tassy
DS 8, DD 4, twin DDs 2

Tassy mom to DS(13), DD(8), and twin DDs (7)  homeschool.gif

#71 of 397 Old 08-24-2009, 04:35 AM

: My kiddos are too young at this point for any specific "schooling" - ds is 4 1/2 and dd is 19mos. At the same time there are aspects of Waldorf inspired homeschooling that I think could be helpful for us.

I had briefly (very briefly) considered enrolling ds in the free 4yr old kindergarten offered by the school district - mostly because I could pick where he'd go and I knew the teacher (my sister). It's been a rough year (a surprise pregnancy, dh's second shift work schedule, etc) and when I really admitted that to myself, it became obvious that wouldn't solve the issues at hand.

Many of the books/ideas I've seen out there (Earthschooling, Christopherus, etc) really appeal to me. I'm thinking some sense of rhythm and greater predictability to the day would be helpful. I have purchased one month's curriculum/enrichment lesson from Earthschooling, but didn't really care for the way it was presented. I have ordered the Kindergarten book from Christopherus because the sample pages and some of the other things I read really seemed like it might be a good fit. I'm hoping that in spite of Donna's being up front about her foundation in Anthroposophy that I can still find items of worth in it. Has anyone been able to do that?

While what we do will certainly be for ds' benefit...what I'm really hoping is that it will help me feel like things are a bit more manageable so I don't feel so very overwhelmed all the time. So...I guess you could say I'm seeking out "kindergarten" mostly for me - anything ds gets from it will be icing on the cake.
#72 of 397 Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM

To me, Donna's book does not present muchi if anything about Anthroposophy specifically at all, but because she has that foundation she understands why X is done within the Waldorf curriculum because of how Steiner viewed the development of the child.
The Kindy book is very practical and deals with rhythm, discipline, lots of ideas for activities, stories, how to handle a 6 year old in Kindy, etc.
I think you will find a lot to use!

Warmly,
Carrie
#73 of 397 Old 08-24-2009, 12:35 PM

have any of you seen or used... http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/ i really loved the gnumber gnome math stuff. i think we will be doing that again this fall. she had a bit on form drawing, but i don't think she ever finished the tale that went with the drawings, which was a bummer to me because it was good! LOL i like her "Shakespeare friday" thing she started. i think i will be doing that with my older son this fall also. the woman who wrote the shakespeare book she uses ("Tales from Shakespeare") also wrote one on the canterbury tales (which i love!) which i think i might introduce.
how many of you have a big age gap in your kids (if you have more then one). my oldest ds is 11 and then i have a 7 year old, a 5 year old and a 2 year old. (my oldest child dd is going to high school). i find it sort of hard to do things with everyone at the level they need. i feel like ds #1 is forever on his own.
also, do you find that you are sort of alone IRL about your feelings about education? we have about 25 kids in our neighborhood (a two block area) but all kids go to school (which is fine) and all are forever on the computer or play violent games. i hate forever keeping my kids away from everyone, and they love to play with the other kids, but i find that they tend to be wild after they hang out with those other kids. and in general the kids are kind, and their parents seem really nice... i just sort of feel alone in my thinking out here in reality. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#74 of 397 Old 08-24-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy View Post
I am interested in beginning Form drawing with at least DS this year (8) and am wondering where to begin. I see Beginning form drawing as well as Form drawing grades 1-4.... then should I get a special book to hold the work or will any paper do? What about writing instruments? I am very new and would love a little hand holding

TIA!
Tassy
DS 8, DD 4, twin DDs 2
We're currently doing a form drawing block (1st grade). We put the forms into an unlined notebook (like a thin main lesson book) and DS does them with beeswax stick crayons.

We're mainly using Form Drawing grades 1-4 as our guide.

HTH!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#75 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 11:59 AM

mamaofthree- yes, I do feel alone in the hs journey. There are many kids in our neighborhood, but we are the only hs'ers. While our city has quite a large established hs group, I don't know any other waldorf oriented families. I see a lot of secular and school at home families though. So that does make me feel alone. I'm just thankful that I have internet access- so I can find other families who do hs like us. Sure, it would be fun to have someone else to do lessons with occasionally. Maybe someday we will.

Dh is almost done putting the shelves in the craft/hs room. I'm so excited.
I can't wait to see the room come together. I picked up a desk for my 7yo, and I'm painting the legs a bright sunny yellow. We still need another desk and 2-3 chairs. And I need to go through the boxes and find all our hs resources. I'd like to re-read some of my waldorf and hs books again too.
#76 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy View Post

TIA!
Tassy
DS 8, DD 4, twin DDs 2
This is based on my understanding on how to approach form drawing from Donna Simmons book: tell a story and draw the form on the blackboard, then the child practices through movement- walking the form, drawing with toes in sand, etc. BEFORE they draw the form on paper. I plan on using the large drawing pads and then for a final form drawing, smaller paper. All the forms will then be kept in a special place to be made into a book at the end of the year. For drawing the forms on paper, we will be using block crayons and then eventually stick.

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#77 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendingbirch View Post
To me, Donna's book does not present muchi if anything about Anthroposophy specifically at all, but because she has that foundation she understands why X is done within the Waldorf curriculum because of how Steiner viewed the development of the child.
The Kindy book is very practical and deals with rhythm, discipline, lots of ideas for activities, stories, how to handle a 6 year old in Kindy, etc.
I think you will find a lot to use!
Ditto this. I have her kindy book and LOVE it. I think you will enjoy it very much and won't have any conflict with it at all.

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#78 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM

I don't know why I couldn't find this online somewhere, but I thought I would ask here. Has anyone made a nature shelf on a bookshelf / wall shelf rather than a table? The kids are choosing things that can be choking hazards and I don't want to stiffle them.

If I do this, should I have a step stool near the shelf so even my 3 year old can interact with it? I just don't want my newly walking 14 month old to swallow shells or acorns or something!

nature and art loving homeschooling mom to a half-dozen little treasures.
#79 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 01:52 PM

I don't see why not. We used the fireplace mantel in our last house. It was really the only place in the house with a flat surface that was covered or used most days.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#80 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga2roo View Post

How are you reporting it? I have read about educationese. Perhaps you need to learn how to speak their language.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#81 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Prairiebird- we used to have a perfect little shelving unit that was our "nature table" for a long time- I put little pictures up, nature things, seasonal things. Now we have a low table that is a simple nature table, baskets of stones and nuts and pinecones, beach glass, shells, sticks, etc. different places around the house depending on the season and activity.
I also do things like hanging pressed leaves or acorns above the cozy little nature corner, and I made a little simple mobile with a copper ring and some ribbons hanging down and little clips to hold pictures and little nature treasures. At least at our house sometimes this is the best way to keep our nature treasures visible and feeling accessible without actually being in the path of destruction.
I don't think it's so much the TABLE that matters so much as being conscientious about bringing nature inside and keeping it accessible to the kids, creating connections between the family rhythms and seasonal rhythms, you know?
#82 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumom2boyz View Post
I plan on using the large drawing pads and then for a final form drawing, smaller paper. All the forms will then be kept in a special place to be made into a book at the end of the year. For drawing the forms on paper, we will be using block crayons and then eventually stick.
I haven't had the chance to compare prices to see if you could find something locally for cheaper, but this site has a nice selection of different books (and other really neat stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumom2boyz View Post
Ditto this. I have her kindy book and LOVE it. I think you will enjoy it very much and won't have any conflict with it at all.
Thank you so much for both replies...it's very reassuring as I'd like to go more along the Waldorf line, but without the Anthroposophy. I've read that it's possible (and understand that it does undergird methodologies), but am a bit apprehensive. I'm really looking forward to getting the book now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiebird View Post
If I do this, should I have a step stool near the shelf so even my 3 year old can interact with it? I just don't want my newly walking 14 month old to swallow shells or acorns or something!
I think that would be a fantastic idea! I've always pondered this for our family as well since dd is still putting things in her mouth and the new baby would as well. I did a quick search and found a few examples here (ignoring the text on the page, I thought the picture of the corner shelves was a nice idea), here, here, and here.
#83 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 PM

Our "nature table" is a shallow basket lined with a seasonal silk and therefore I can move it, set it up high or whathave you. Very handy! I have seen Waldorf families with "Nature baskets" on their counters or dining room tables or wherever depending on the ages of the children. SOme families feel strongly that the nature basket can be touched, and some families feel strongly that the nature basket is to look at, but not to play in.

Warmly,
Carrie
#84 of 397 Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 PM

our nature table is on a book shelf. it works great. and the lo does get a step stool to have a look at it and add things.

hth

h

#85 of 397 Old 08-26-2009, 01:27 AM

couple quick questions:
1.) about main lesson books... so do you get one for eavh lesson, ie math, writing, history, etc. or do you have one for everything? thanks
2.) anyone have any of the Wynstones books, and what do you think of them? worth the money?
h

#86 of 397 Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 AM

MLB's -- When I was teaching I tried to group subjects in a way that made sense and put those subjects in the same MLB. History always filled up its own book (and then some!) but other subjects could share. Now that I'm homeschooling I've thought about using just one book so I'm interested to read other responses.

the Wynstones -- I bought all of them when I was teaching early childhood. I'd say they're useful if you're going to be in early childhood for awhile. They were my primary resource for early childhood circle material. But it's a lot of money to buy all of them and there might be other resources out there that are organized differently and therefore less expensive. (Wynstones has a book for each season, plus a book dedicated to transitions -- birthdays, mealtime verses, etc and another book that's mostly stories. A book with all the seasons in one volume would probably be more economical.) If you're looking for a resource that gives complete circles, with movement and all, Wynstones isn't it. Let Us Form a Ring and the second volume Dancing as We Sing are great for that. But I really liked the stories and verses in Wynstones (which the other two books also use) and didn't mind putting them together myself.

Have fun!
Meredith

Meredith, Waldorf teacher and mother of ds C (14), dd A (11) and ds L (7)
#87 of 397 Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM

As far as Main Lesson Books, we do use one for each subject for the most part. If you have a child in Class One, I would shoot for the biggest Main Lesson Books you can find. You can also just bind together papers your child has done at the end of the block or the end of the year.

As far as the Wynstones, I have liked them and have used them more and more. They do NOT have complete circles, so for circles you can try Let Us Form A Ring, the sequel to that mentioned in another post or the Movement Journeys and Circle Adventures. The other caveat I feel the need to mention is that ALL of these books involve music, and if you can't read music that makes it rather difficult. If you are looking mainly for verses or songs, Suzanne Down may be a resource for you - her Autumn Tales and Spring Tales are great for the six and under crowd and no music reading involved. You can try the used waldorf curriculum yahoo group and see if anyone is selling any of these items and try to get a cheaper deal as well. I buy a lot of Waldorf related books and it is amazing to me how expensive the books are and they are usually small with less pages than I was anticipating. I try to put book reviews on my blog, as do many Waldorf homeschooling mothers with blogs , so folks know what they will be getting.

The other thing is if there is a Waldorf homeschooling group near you, they may have a "curriculum fair". Our group has one every year where people bring what materials they have so mothers can look at it and decide if they want to order it for themselves or not.

Hope that helps,

Warmly,
Carrie
#88 of 397 Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 AM

thank you very much! that is what i wanted to know. is the book of stories... can't recall the title, have alot of music in it also?

h

#89 of 397 Old 08-27-2009, 08:31 AM

THe Suzanne Down books do not have music in them, they are based around puppetry and stories and verses. She also has a website at Juniper Tree Puppetry.
THere are other wonderful sources for stories, you can check the free www.mainlesson.com
Many Waldorf mothers also put what story they are doing on their blogs as well.

Warmly,
Carrie
#90 of 397 Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM

I have the Autumn book from the Wynestones series. I like it a lot and plan on getting the other books in the series, adding in one at a time. I agree with Carrie though, and it isn't enough to give complete circles. I rely on additional material (Sing a song of seasons, Donna Simmon's Joyful Movement, and online sources).

For MLB, we use one for each subject as well as a seperate one for spelling and word families. We don't use a MLB for our nature block though. I bought the larger sized ones from Paper, Scissors, Stone for fairly inexpensive.

When is everyone starting their school year? We are starting on Monday and I am so excited!!!! My 2nd grader on the other hand is hoping to hang on to summer a little longer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page