Waldorf Homeschoolers Thread - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
that sounds wonderful. i like that alot. i have tried the circles myself and i don't know, it just didn't work out. but i LOVE the idea of sort of taking it outside! what a great idea. i am stealing that! ::
h
Steal away! It was a gift to me to read that and it has been perfect for our group of little wigglies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey B View Post
So I am really early in this whole process, my ds is only 3 but I just got the Seasons of Joy Autumn and am trying to psyche myself up to start. We are in desperate need of rhythm around here. But I suppose starting is like jumping in the lake you just need to go. Missing the community and the once a week Kindercircle we were part of last autumn.
I HIGHLY recommend The Parenting Passageway yet again!!
Especially this post: http://theparentingpassageway.com/20...-kindergarten/

That post will give you so much good food for thought about the types of things that the small ones need to see us doing and that we can do with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumom2boyz View Post
Our first week went great as well. This week however, we are off to a rocky start. How do you all handle the "this is boring" and "why do I have to do school" stuff???
Ugh! Those are so hard. My eldest child has thrown just about everything at me over the years. His resistance to, well ANYTHING, is one of the reasons we were unschoolers. But now I feel stronger and ready to meet his resistance with a sweet smile and a "because you need to learn these things." I work hard to make sure they are 'packaged' in interesting ways and specific to what I know he likes. And it's only day 3 of our school year and days 2 and 3 met with resistance.

Does your son do the work anyway? Afterwards what does he say? I ask because my eldest resists and pouts and sometimes worse, but once he gets started, he does a pretty good job and most of the time ends up saying, "wow, that wasn't so hard," and/or "that was fun!" So I guess I'm saying a lot of it depends on the child. I have learned that if I believe the work is valuable to just smile and insist that he do it. It's in his genes, apparently, to resist. But it is in mine to make sure that he is not the village idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde View Post
Kind of both. We go by various examples of what to draw from the story. If I didn't say "let's draw the cat from the story all curled up, kind of like a *c*"...then he would inevitably draw a cat from which no *c* could be extracted, ya know?
Maybe you can suggest some other creative way of forming the letters? The point isn't that they NEED to make them a certain way, IMHO, the point is that you want the experience to be multi-sensory so that the child isn't just learning the letters 'with their head.' For my very wiggly, very physical 6yo I've found that he does best if I ask him to try to figure out a way to make a letter with his body. This is great for giving him more movement AND it really sparks his creativity. We were doing this just the other day and he had me laughing hysterically at his attempts to make an "M" and an "H."

Sorry I'm not here more...starting up with the new path this week has consumed a lot of my time. But it's all good. We're finding our rhythm and everyone seems to be happy with it.

I have been detailing all that we are doing on my homeschooling blog and I don't want to repeat it here...but anyone interested can look there:
www.motherearthwaldorf.wordpress.com

peace,

Maryhippie.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 397 Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 PM

This week has been interesting. We've been using Little Acorn for the themed weeks for our Circle Time and craft ideas. After last week was over, I was prepared to order the September curriculum. My DD says, "Mama, can we do frogs next week." I didn't know what to say as I knew the curriculum probably wouldn't be frogs. I didn't for the life of me want to say no to her. That is natural learning and natural desire right there at work. So, I said sure. I scrambled to find verse, fingerplays, and songs online, and did along with books and craft ideas much like given in Little Acorn. I chose the ones most Waldorf friendly and went with it. We also did Frog Prince a few nights for bedtime. It's went really well. Now, she doesn't have an opinion for next week, so I may be ordering curriculum - who knows.

I just got Heaven on Earth in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to read!!!

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#153 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Love to hear end-of-the-week summaries! I think it can be very good and productive to look back for themes and with perspective.

Here's mine (even though we are 1 music lesson away from finishing our week):

1) Walking Circle Time is FANTASTIC! It has given us a focus -- nature -- for each morning and has completely eliminated any whining or resistance to getting dressed for the day. They don't procrastinate or linger over breakfast either. Everyone is fed and dressed and ready to hit the door.

Even though we have been walking the same path for 4 days now, it is different each day and the attachlings find and notice things they didn't before. Today it was WET it rained all night and was still drizzly when we headed out. It was great to see the forest all wet and heavy-laden. We explored and found tons of moss beds, because everything was darker and they stood out more.

I'll start integrating counting rhymes and such to our walking circle time next week. I made lavender bean bags just for this...to toss around.

2) Yes, Nic resists writing and says he hates writing. But if I remain calm and firm -- giving NO energy to his negativity -- hit gets to it and really does a darn fine job of it. That is a revelation to me this time around.

3) Planning ahead is worth every bit of time put into it. I am calmer and a better resource to them if I review what is coming the night before and then think a bit on it as I go to sleep. Likewise, the last 3 days I've gotten up and to the white board before they are up. There I can write whatever I'm wanting Nic to copy into his main lesson book. Today he was up long before Theo so I could get him started on that immediately. It was great. He got his math work done before his brother even got out of bed and it kept him from asking me 3 dozen times if it was time for the nature walk yet.

4) I need another pennywhistle. Seriously, why did it not occur to me that Whinnie would need one of her own if she was to leave the boys' alone? Well, it doesn't have to be a real pennywhistle, but she needs something to make music-noise with it herself.

5) Make sure the house is tidied up before bedtime. All summer I had the morning time, when the boys went out to explore in the woods, to tidy and cook and clean. Now we are spending our morning on homeschooling, and by the afternoon, I want to just collapse and read or knit. This being 'on' takes alot out of you.
So if I want a reasonably liveable house AND some down time during Whinnie's nap...I need to make sure the house is tidy (sweep floors, deal with dishes, but away clean clothes) before I go to bed. In the morning there is harmony and order and I can enjoy school time.

6) This is way more fun than I thought it would be. They are all at great ages to explore and work together some and alone some. They are observant and quirky and curious.

Off to week 2!

Maryhippie.gif

#154 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
So, I said sure. I scrambled to find verse, fingerplays, and songs online, and did along with books and craft ideas much like given in Little Acorn. I chose the ones most Waldorf friendly and went with it. We also did Frog Prince a few nights for bedtime. It's went really well. Now, she doesn't have an opinion for next week, so I may be ordering curriculum - who knows.
I'm absolutely positive you'll love "Heaven on Earth." It wasn't available at the library when I first went looking so I checked out other ones...I'm really wishing I had just gone out and purchased it in the first place.

I remember your asking about the frog idea your lo had in another thread. I'm curious what resources you used online to find what you were looking for. There are a few weeks here in the Fall that I have something specific in mind for, but when it comes to the story/fingerplays/etc I'm feeling a little bit lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post
5) Make sure the house is tidied up before bedtime. All summer I had the morning time, when the boys went out to explore in the woods, to tidy and cook and clean. Now we are spending our morning on homeschooling, and by the afternoon, I want to just collapse and read or knit. This being 'on' takes alot out of you.
So if I want a reasonably liveable house AND some down time during Whinnie's nap...I need to make sure the house is tidy (sweep floors, deal with dishes, but away clean clothes) before I go to bed. In the morning there is harmony and order and I can enjoy school time.
I've found this is so key for me. I used to not worry about it so much, but have found now that we get the toys cleaned up before dinner and the dishes done every night before bed that I have a much rosier perspective on the next day. I need to work on finding ways that my dd and ds can be involved in these kinds of tasks (better step stools maybe as a start) which I think would go a long way.
#155 of 397 Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:

i am so with you right here. if i do not have the house in order at bedtime, it feels all chaotic in the morning. at least for me it is better to put in that time just before i hit the hay then struggle all day with catching up.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#156 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey B View Post
So I am really early in this whole process, my ds is only 3 but.....
My LO is only 2.5 and I bought SOJ and LA when he was just a little over one. =) so i'm with you.... I just get more and more use out of it each year.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#157 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 02:17 PM

I would be interested to hear how TV or videos fit into your homeschool life.

We have been TV-free for almost 10 years, but occasionally watch movies or shows from netflix on our computer.

Do you incorporate educational specials, have special movies as treats, or ever put a show on just for the younger ones?

DD has discovered just how many Disney movies there are, and DS is asking about Star Wars!

oh, and I should add Internet. I will admit to putting on sesame street.org a few times to get a decent shower, and an older cousin showed DD barbie.com and she is now begging to play games on that.

Narnia, mother of Anorien (10/03) and Ford (5/07)
#158 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 04:05 PM

just found this thread and wanted to say

we're still not sure who we are in terms of schooling. right now our kids are at the most amazing waldorf-inspired home preschool. next year is still a mystery. (though i feel us leaning more and more towards waldorf-inspired unschooling and me creating a farm-based homeschool enrichment program that our children will attend part-time.)

i've seen this thread referenced on a few other threads and it seemed like it might be a great resource for me.

looking forward to reading back through and getting to know a little about you all and your homeschooling journeys!

~erin
#159 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM

I was thinking about starting another thread somewhere, but not sure where it would fit for those of us with children birth through 7. So, early childhood. Not that we wouldn't be a part of this thread, but for the support from each other on our personal growth. I'm finding that so much of my parenting is making a huge requirement for my attention to be placed on improving myself in every facet. I'd rather call it growing. It is hard work, and I am finding that it can be very isolating when there isn't a Parent/Child group near, or you are going to be homeschooling. So, I suppose it would be an MDC Waldorf Parent/Child Support Thread. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to invite the Waldorf folks from the School forum here. I'm also wondering if the proper place to put the thread would be in Personal Growth. Anyone interested?? You can pm me if you are and I'll get us going.

Again, it would be a thread for discussing our Personal Growth as a parent while practicing AP, natural, and Waldorf parenting principles, not something that takes away from what we are discussing here.

I'm reading Heaven on Earth right now and finding it wonderful. I'd love to discuss things with other mamas.

pampered-mom - I just used Google and searched "frog themes" and found everything I needed. I had to search Grimm's Frog Prince to find that fairytale.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#160 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnoriensMom View Post
I would be interested to hear how TV or videos fit into your homeschool life.
TV doesn't at all. We have been making the transition to being screen/tv free for about 2 years --- first dumping cable then getting the tv out of the living room and now no tv at all.

The children are almost screen free. Occassionally we'll have a family movie night and I will sometimes put something on on the laptop for the 2yo if she's been especially difficult and I need to be working on dinner. For those times, I love, love, love, No Telly (www.notelly.tv) It was developed by another MDC family as a safe place for the little ones to view videos online without be exposed to advertising (and worse!) I'd say my youngest gets no more than 1 hour of screen time a week. And I'm not saying that to brag. It has been a long time and I am glad for it, but I am more disappointed that it took me so long to get us to where we are now.

Oh, and the older two will sometimes get a DK-Eyewitness DVD at the library that they'll watch during their sister's nap. Typically they are busy reading or playing outside, though if the weather is truly too awful to be outside they might watch a movie or play a computer game while the baby sleeps.

For us (and I'm only able to speak for my own family) having the children be screen free is important for having a peaceful and harmonious family life.

Right now my daughter is playing on the floor, my husband and I are on laptops checking in and the boys are each engrossed in books they just got from the library -- all in the same room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama View Post
just found this thread and wanted to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I was thinking about starting another thread somewhere, but not sure where it would fit for those of us with children birth through 7. So, early childhood. Not that we wouldn't be a part of this thread, but for the support from each other on our personal growth.
It sounds like maybe you are referring to what the waldorf materials call 'Inner Work' and I have found it to be crucial to our success on this new waldorf path. Just like AP, Waldorf requires a lot of work and preparation from the parent/s to seem effortless.

I'm all for discussing things like that here, though if you wish to start another thread that's cool too.

Maryhippie.gif

#161 of 397 Old 09-12-2009, 09:52 PM

we got rid of tv years ago, yet the computer still is here. it makes me crazy! if it wasn't for dh needing it to do his on line work i would not have it either. (although i would miss mothering. lol)
some days it becomes the complete focus of the kids, is it time to get on, how long is my turn, etc. we have had times when we went weeks without the computer, yet it always creeps in. dh uses netflix and hulu for tv time for the kids when i go to work (which makes me NUTS! : ) the little guys just act so crazy with too much screen time. i wish he got that. ugh! (ok done ranting. lol he is a good man, just that one thing! ack! lol)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#162 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 AM

Interesting to see how many of us start with a morning walk! It feels like the perfect transition to schooling for us. All of our cares and worries melt away when we enter the woods near our house. We also bring our dog and now, while we're studying botany, we're doing quite a bit of our lesson outside.

I wanted to reply also regarding the "This is boring," issue. My youngest (who is so accustomed to having his older brother and sister around to entertain him) used to often complain of being "bored." One time I replied to him with, "What? You're only 5, you're not allowed to be bored yet." He thought it was the funniest thing and ever since that's been our little joke. If he ever says it now I look at him ready to tell him he's not allowed and he laughs saying, "Moo-oom." I've also replied with, "Oh, do you want me to do a little song and dance number to make it more interesting?" Sometimes a little humor prevents me from getting frustrated and helps to diffuse the situation a bit.

As my kids have gotten older I have been more matter-of-fact with them and let them know that complaining of boredom while you're in the company of another person is actually quite rude. My older children just aren't allowed to say it. I suppose this is a little bit different than complaining about a lesson being boring, but students in a classroom would not be allowed to tell their teachers that the lesson is boring because it would be disrespectful. Anyway, what's usually happening is that it's boring because they haven't engaged. As soon as they engage with the lesson it becomes interesting to them in at least some way -- the trick is to find that shortest path possible towards engagement.

Meredith, Waldorf teacher and mother of ds C (14), dd A (11) and ds L (7)
#163 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

A few years ago as my eldest was complaining of being bored for what seemed like the 3-millionth time that hour, I said to him (completely off the top of my head)

"A bored person is a boring person. If you are feeling bored then it is a message from yourself to stop being boring and DO SOMETHING."

He looked at me for the longest time, being like 8 at the time, and then said something like, "hmmm, that's interesting," and wandered off. I found him curled up on his bed with a good book just a few minutes later. He looked up at me and said, "I'm not bored anymore...I figured out what I wanted to do."

Since that day I've had moments where I felt bored, recognized the feeling, and decided that I wanted to stop being boring and do anything.

I gotta say, eldest child never, ever says he's bored anymore...and if it slips out, he looks at me, winks and takes care of it himself.

Now this might not work for the littlest among us, as they aren't as capable of this thought process -- but it is empowering to them to realize that they are in charge. And it is a great relief for mama to not always be responsible for curing a case of the 'creeping borings'

Maryhippie.gif

#164 of 397 Old 09-13-2009, 06:06 PM

mary - Thanks! I was kind of concerned that adding in the personal growth along with our weekly updates and such might overwhelm this thread, but if you don't think so, I'd be fine with keeping it here. I was kind of thinking of inviting the school Waldorf folks to that thread as well who are in early childhood stages. Not sure.

I'll let everyone know when I decide what to do.

I read the first two chapters of Heaven on Earth last night and I begin reviewing our rhythm tomorrow.

TV - We have been back and forth with our TV viewing. I can say that at some points DD1 has watched way too much for my tastes. We have expressed to people that we'd like her not to watch, but our parents don't care and let her do it anyway. So, for now, we do TV on weekends where she gets to watch one or two shows and I try to make those on days she visits grandparents. Sometimes we'll do a movie night here. We don't have cable, but we have Netflix. DH and I enjoy movies so much and that is what we like to do together for together time. I don't foresee us ever not having a TV in the house, but we do only have the one small screen.

Computer time is something I want to work on. I still do computer work in front of my girls. I'm a writer too and maintain a blog about parenting, homesteading and such, so it requires some computer time, but I'm trying to re prioritize that during their early childhood. Maybe focus on the blog, and save my other writing for special times when I have found free time to be filled. ???

#165 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 AM

We've been phasing things in a little at a time so far - this week I've decided to add the rest of the kindergarten type things. Since dh works on a rotating schedule today was our "first" day. I went for very laid back - doubt that ds really knew that anything was different.

Both ds and dd brought me book after book after book to read this am. At the end when ds was going for another I told him I was going to tell him a story - "The Magic Porridge Pot." He listed very intently (I changed it up a bit so there were parts he could relate to). When the story was finished he seemed satisfied and headed off to a different part of the room play. About 10 minutes later he pauses, looks at me really thoughtfully and then tells me that in the story the Daddy came home to help clean up the porridge as well as a few other details about the neighbors. It seemed that even though his play was completely unrelated the story was still very much "living" with him.

TV - We only own one TV and it's in the basement - I think this helps quite a bit as it's definitely out of sight, out of mind. Ds has seen some TV, sometimes more than others (like when someone's sick or something), but for the most part doesn't really ask to see it. We will on occassion watch TV as a family maybe once a week - it's typically to watch a movie (no commericals and when it's done it's done) and eat pizza.

Given that my kids are so young (4 1/2 and 20 mos) "educational" programs/videos/etc aren't really appropriate for them developmentally - same goes with the computer. When they're quite a bit older both "educational" programming and computers will be something we'll add in on a limited basis, but certainly not for several years.

I work really hard not to be on the computer around my kids. I've been finding somewhat that our days go smoother if I avoid being on the computer, even while they're napping. That leaves after they go to bed which tends to pack quite a bit into my night hours, but even still it seems like the day flows more smoothly.
#166 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 12:10 PM

I'm starting to research different homeschool approaches and Waldorf is on my list. Yay for this thread!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#167 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM

HI DoK! :

h

#168 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I'm starting to research different homeschool approaches and Waldorf is on my list. Yay for this thread!
DoK! May this thread give you as much inspiration as you've been giving to me.

Maryhippie.gif

#169 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
HI DoK! :

h
Hi Mama! I've missed you!

Thanks for the welcomes!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#170 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Does anyone know if there is a Canadian Waldorf homeschool curriculum available? I've been eyeing Oak Meadow, but would prefer something Canadian if it's available.
#171 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Since there has been some TV discussion, would you ladies mind if I bragged a bit? This week we are in the process of converting our TV stand that my grandfather made into an aquarium. I soooo excited, as is dd! : We have actually been TV-free for a year, and we have been limited TV since dd's birth (no cable, just the occasional DVD while dh was finishing grad school and I HAD to have a break). We haven't watched anything in such a long time and I hated having that huge wooden stand in our den for no purpose (it has cabinets to close so the TV wasn't visible, but the stand itself is huge). Finally, dh and I decided we needed to "re-purpose" that stand and the idea of an aquarium just sprang up. DD, like all kids, is fascinated by fish so she's all on board with the idea. Our TV now rests in the back of our closet. I wish I could sell it but my parents bought it for us in the first place and they would get all ticky if we sold it (even though they know we don't watch it!). I can't wait to get everything up and running for the aquarium and bring some more natural peace into our lives!

(I'm so thankful that I can post here and no one will say, "Why are you trading your TV for an aquarium???!!!" as if I have 3 heads.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#172 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am having some issues with schedules and rhythm. I have decided on Waldorf again this year after we've been going back and forth a lot. I have been trying to get a good rhythm/schedule to our days going and it has been complete and utter chaos. We either just don't get around to doing anything until late (seriously-2 hours to eat breakfast and get dressed???), or they just don't want to do anything at all. I don't *make* them do anything, but it is upsetting after spending so long planning and doing all these things that they have asked to do, are interested in, and it just ends horribly.

I try to use the workboxes to keep them busy to work on them one on one and they just end up on the computer or fighting. I see all these sample schedules/routines with Enki and on peoples' blogs and just don't understand how people keep their days so simple and uncluttered and peaceful. Is this even possible with 4 kids? Or a household with at least one very hands on child that won't let you read or do anything without her practically clinging to your head?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#173 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
Since there has been some TV discussion, would you ladies mind if I bragged a bit? This week we are in the process of converting our TV stand that my grandfather made into an aquarium.

(I'm so thankful that I can post here and no one will say, "Why are you trading your TV for an aquarium???!!!" as if I have 3 heads.
LOL! What a great repurpose.

And, yes, people will act like you've grown an extra head (or two) sometimes when they learn you don't have a tv...except in waldorf circles where it is entirely understood.

Maryhippie.gif

#174 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and while we're on the 'screen' subject. Am I the only one that finds it completely annoying and irritating when a restaurant has tvs on all over the place, frequently with a different thing on each one?

I can't stand it and I tend to not go back to a restaurant again after that. One of the reasons we eat out when we do is to spend time together and having a screen flickering is so distracting!

Maryhippie.gif

#175 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I see all these sample schedules/routines with Enki and on peoples' blogs and just don't understand how people keep their days so simple and uncluttered and peaceful. Is this even possible with 4 kids? Or a household with at least one very hands on child that won't let you read or do anything without her practically clinging to your head?

What are the ages of the 4 children? That might make a huge difference to what others would recommend.

Mine (like in the sig line) are 10, 6 and 2. The 10yo is the only one with academic work. The 6yo's 'work' is kindergarten stuff...and the focus there is on rhythm and doing things. But the 2yo frequently makes up for the ease I have with the other 2.

Our rhythm works, I think, because of the longish nature walk we take every morning. I didn't want to go this morning because I was tired and achey for some reason...but I knew not to mess with a good rhythm once it was started. And that seems to be key for us. The nature walk, our 'walking circle time' gives us time to get out wiggles, spend time together, talk about the seasonal changes, talk about our day, play random music...etc. So that when we come home they are ready to sit and listen to me tell a story or read a book. Screens are NOT involved at all and I find that my particular brand of monkeys becomes uncontrollable and whiney if they have any screen time.

It's not easy every day. My eldest finds SOMETHING about his daily work that he hates...regardless of what it is. My two littlest ones seem devoted to taking apart the living room when I work with the eldest. Lunchtime seems to come too soon. But we get it done and they seem to be getting acclimated to this new way of doing the days.

Maryhippie.gif

#176 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, and while we're on the 'screen' subject. Am I the only one that finds it completely annoying and irritating when a restaurant has tvs on all over the place, frequently with a different thing on each one?

I can't stand it and I tend to not go back to a restaurant again after that. One of the reasons we eat out when we do is to spend time together and having a screen flickering is so distracting!
I totally agree! I'm not even sure I understand the purpose of having those because usually the sound is turned down anyway. I try and avoid places like that myself. Urgh.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#177 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Recently we went to a restaurant we've been to several times before...it's just a little family diner. But they seated us in a different room than we'd been in before, and there was a tv suspended near our table. The sound was off and they had some sort of nature show playing. Even though I didn't like losing my family to the flickering toob, I thought, ok, at least it is not a horror movie or spongebob squarepants.

Two minutes later one of the hostesses saw my children looking up towards the tv and said, 'oh, let me turn on something for your kids to watch!' And before we could stop her, she got up on a chair and switched the channel....
to...you know you can see this coming...spongebob squarepants. Argh!

Thankfully our food came pretty quickly and I was able to re-engage my family in 'family time.'

Why do people see children and automatically think, 'here, let me put on some mindless animated drivel?'

Ok, sorry, there's my 'I hate tv' rant for the day.

Maryhippie.gif

#178 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 08:45 PM

I guess ages would make a difference! Mine are 8.5, 7.5, almost 5, and 1.5. So we are doing 3rd, 2nd, and Kindy (by request since her cousin is now in Kindy-which means reading books and doing crafts). We do lots of movement activities and EduK throughout the day b/c I have two kids with sensory issues and we need to do them a lot to center.

My 1yo we call Hurricane Ari if that gives you a feel to how it is with her around. She is very attention-grabbing and destructive. Love her to death but getting anything done with her around is nearly impossible. I've resorted to Dora videos just to get literally 5 minutes of quiet.

I think computer time is a big one-either me or the kids are usually on here. Getting rid of it entirely won't work in our family, but I think giving a strict limit and only at certain times will probably help.

We do go on a long daily walk before we do anything else. It seems to help vs. when we don't but today they just wanted to run two blocks ahead while I had an adventure walk planned and it was frustrating.

#179 of 397 Old 09-14-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Why do people see children and automatically think, 'here, let me put on some mindless animated drivel?'
I hate tv, too. But I'm fairly addicted to watching it in moderation. I think that attitude is one of "I don't want to hear your kids so I will zombify them". I hate tvs at restaurants, too. We don't have cable but rarely watch a movie during dinner very informally if it's been a really long hard day. But it makes me sad that so many families can't imagine turning off the drivel and having time together.

#180 of 397 Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 AM

I've decided to keep the discussion here for the personal growth topic as I haven't had a big response. It fits...
I'm working through Heaven on Earth, and Rhythm is my first area of concern in our house. We do okay, but not great. Bedtime is the worst. Very inconsistent and neither of my girls sleep enough. So, I'm starting there. 8pm is lights out. Tonight DD1 was asleep within 10 minutes of lights out. DD2 I rocked for 20 minutes, put her down to sleep, five minutes later she was awake again and in the living room next to me on the couch. This is the way it goes. DD1 still more often than not wakes in the night and comes to our room as well. I'm keeping with it though. I'm not giving up.

Also, taking joy in my homemaking is an area I need to work on bad. I resent cleaning mostly. I didn't have a healthy example of anyone doing it without it being some kind of obsessiveness with it or anger when I was a child. Now, I have looked at it as something in the way of me being able to work on my writing, or something I've viewed as more important. So, it's a bit about coming to terms with my role as wife and mother. Don't get me wrong. It's just I haven't wanted to put off other goals, but I am realizing I have to and should because they are taking time away from the proper care of my children and my home. So, finding joy in my homemaking and homesteading, instead of rushing through chores, and letting them make me angry. My children need a good example of meaningful work. Housework does have meaning. I've been blogging a bit about it.

That's it for now... I have a new 10pm bedtime too, so I'm out for tonight. I have to direct you to some photos of the girls' room sometime soon for ideas.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page