Waldorf Homeschoolers Thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
 
mary3mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Middle Indiana
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am stunned. I would never, ever destry artwork in front of its creator. Never. The boys know that I can't/don't keep every little thing they create. But I do encourage them to display their favorites and they know that I keep some and send others to recycling.

I also make a point of taking digital photos of their work. It's alot easier to keep those in a folder than the originals.

IMHO that has to be someone's (misguided) interpretation of Steiner. I can't imagine him writing/saying anything like that. That runs counter to his intent and spirit (in what I've read so far anyway.)

Yes, he has said that the process is the point....but to destroy the artwork in front of them does not make it about the process. That is just horrible.

Maryhippie.gif

mary3mama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-01-2009, 10:41 AM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Oh my goodness, I can't imagine destroying a child's artwork in front of them. I've never read that in any Steiner resource. Do you remember where you saw it?
I agree. I've been reading about Waldorf for years and years and never have seen anything like that. I hope that was just a misguided interpretation. I can't imagine anyone doing that!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 AM
 
annettemarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the Restricted Section
Posts: 34,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before I "found" Waldorf, I was a teacher/program director in a NAEYC-accredited preschool/child care center. One thing I remember, both from my studies of Waldorf and Reggio Emilia methods, was a profound respect of children's art. Anything I want to do to my kids' art-- rounding corner, writing their name, etc-- I do BEFORE they start working. Afterw they begin, it's their work. I can't imagine how upset I would be if I was writing something or sewing something and someone else grabbed it and altered it, no matter how insignificantly. I want to children to feel like I have the same respect for their artistic pursuits. Schoolwork's a different matter, LOL! I have no problem marking that.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

annettemarie is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
 
fenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mamaofthree - Thanks for your long post addressing state standards, etc. It was very well spoken. I would have picked the portfolio option too if that was a possibility. I appreciate the encouragement! I need a little boost sometimes!

Izzysmom - Hi! Another one on close to the same path as me!

I am not well-versed in Waldorf yet, but just from the perspective of being a mom and caring for my children and what they create, I could never destroy their artwork in front of them. I keep keep some and recycle the rest, but never do I do this in front of them. I too have string up on the wall where they display their favorites held up by clothespins we decorated together. They are so proud looking up at it.

Heaven on Earth shipped today! I can't wait for it to come in! I'm definitely going to sit down and read The Parenting Passageway very soon too.

Am I correct in saying that a general consensus of what guidebooks would be the best for preschool/kindy would be either Little Acorn or Christopherus? I know everyone has differing opinions, but it seems those two get mentioned most in relation to the wee ones.

I hope everyone is having a great day today!

Kim, mama to Ariadne (5), Athena (3), 2 , and due in January.
fenix is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Laurel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western U.S.
Posts: 2,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to Waldorf, and one of the things I LOVE is the emphasis I've seen in several curriculums on recycling artwork into other things. My dd would always paint, and I'd have stacks of paintings which I'd end up throwing away because I didn't know what else to do with them. But now I can keep them knowing they can be made into lanterns or cut into other objects (right now we've cut our red watercolor paintings into apple shapes and used green paintings to cut the leaves).

So I'd agree that being advised to destroy artwork seems extremely odd.
Laurel is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 02:46 PM
 
pampered_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere short of crazy
Posts: 4,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we've probably kept every single piece of ds' artwork at this point - of course he's only 4 1/2 so I suppose I may need to thin it out at some point. About the only exception I can think of is a few worksheet type things that he may have brought home from Sunday School (but I don't really consider that artwork). I bought an Art Portfolio to keep the artwork in. Before it goes in there it typically gets displayed on the "art board" - based upon the idea given in "Creative Family".
pampered_mom is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 04:46 PM
 
eastkygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: some dark mtn. holler
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't remember where I read it (destroying artwork) exactly. It was either in an article copied for us while I was in Parent/Child or it was on one of the yahoo message boards. I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately. I had a hard time with that thought at first. DH is an artist and I talked with him, and he didn't care for it either. But, we have both decided that most of it should go to the recycling. If it's paintings or drawings... we keep the best of them. We have such a small space that it is impossible to keep to much. We both reasoned that neither of us have the artwork we did as children, and neither of us really care... so. I do like the thought of taking pictures. I've done that before. Also, using them for something if they are experiments in color. I'm really liking the Little Acorn because most of the projects have a use, or can be played with. Those that don't for us usually hang on the wall for awhile, then either go in an envelope or recycling.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

eastkygal is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 PM
 
eastkygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: some dark mtn. holler
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you do on the days when your children seem to be out of sorts? Today there has been a lot of crying from both girls, but more from my little one. We had to make our nature walk quick. During our little story time and during craft DD2 was all tears. I'd love ideas on how to keep things magical for us even when the DC are having difficult days. How is it best to continue in our rhythm yet be soothing?

I know I've asked before, but I'm needing to ask one more time. DD2 is very interruptive during our storytime. DD1 loves it when I do stories with props. I've tried it one other time, and then this week in our Little Acorn it called for it again. DD2 can't stand it unless she takes it all away from me. I try to give her her own and it doesn't help. She has now gotten to where she will sit through a book just fine. I know she doesn't understand why she can't just take my props. I want to tell DD2 the stories too. She only naps one hour and I need that time to center myself again before the afternoon. Any thoughts would be helpful on solutions for this.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

eastkygal is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM
 
calynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the foot of the Alps
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
eastkygal,

I would tell those stories to each girl separately at bedtime. Start the bedtime ritual a bit earlier, light a special candle, tell the story to her in that warm, dim light and have a sweet moment just you and dd before she drifts off into sleep.

Doesn't that sound beautiful?

You can have your older dd retell the story to you in her own words the next day during your nature walk or whenever suits you.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

calynde is offline  
Old 10-01-2009, 09:22 PM
 
bendingbirch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 238
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If your younger one still takes a nap, that can also be a valuable time to do more meditative kinds of work,whether this is story telling now or wet on wet painting or form drawing as your oldest moves into the grades.

Warmly,
Carrie
bendingbirch is offline  
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 AM
 
AnoriensMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary3mama View Post

The process of becoming waldorfians involves a good bit of 'inner work' to make sure that you are ready. Honestly THAT is the biggest difference (IMHO) between Waldorf and other educational paths. It's not the gnomes and play silks, it's the intention that is within the teachers and parents (or parent teachers )

Before deciding upon any specific curriculum or path, I'd highly recommend you read Carrie's blog The Parenting Passageway.
What books would you recommend that discuss the "inner work" of Waldorf? I have seen "heaven on earth" mentioned a few times and am looking to buy a used copy. Is there anything else I should put on my reading list?

Narnia, mother of Anorien (10/03) and Ford (5/07)
AnoriensMom is offline  
Old 10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Madame Pomfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Great Plains
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to pop in and say hi! You ladies have always been so supportive, but I know there is no way I'll be able to catch up on this thread. DH's new job is great so I left my p/t job at the museum to concentrate on the kids again - it'll be SO NICE to actually have actual time for planning AND that inner work again. I hope to join your next thread.

Peace to everyone on Gandhi's birthday!

Lucie

still homeschooling holistically with my two boys, 14 & 10
Madame Pomfrey is offline  
Old 10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Congrats Lucie!

Quick question: I need to order some main lesson books. Should I get the 11x14 or 14x11? I would think the wider ones would be better than taller. But I'm not sure...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is offline  
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 PM
 
calynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the foot of the Alps
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Congrats Lucie!

Quick question: I need to order some main lesson books. Should I get the 11x14 or 14x11? I would think the wider ones would be better than taller. But I'm not sure...
We have the wider ones.

Hi Lucie!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

calynde is offline  
Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Madame Pomfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Great Plains
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Calynde and Kittywitty! Narnia, I love your name.

On the inner work, it seems like over the years I have used so many things, but the most helpful part is to just look deeply into my children's eyes when I'm with them and to spend some time meditating on them later. I then make sure our schoolwork connects to the innner spirit that I see there. They say Waldorf teachers even meditate on each child briefly each day.

I just know that it is looking into his eyes that shows me just how innocent my 10 yo is and I need to try to connect my lessons to that. If I didn't, I would fall for his tough, seemingly more mature outer self and lose the magic.

Have a great day!

Lucie
who's 10yo battled Darth Vader at his b-day party today (not very Waldorfy) but who can recite the wondrous Jedi Code word for word and secretly loves his stuffed animals and wooden toys

still homeschooling holistically with my two boys, 14 & 10
Madame Pomfrey is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 04:52 AM
 
onyxravnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 2,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so whats your Halloween time rituals?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

 

onyxravnos is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
 
mamaofthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fenix: your welcome. sheesh, i got talkie there didn't i?! lol

halloween already? eeeek! just finished up with ds#2 8th birthday. i can now plan other things. lol although the last few years what we have done is welcomed our family to the table with us and set an empty seat with plate and food. and placed pictures of them up on an alter sort of thing. then we went out and got loads of candy. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

mamaofthree is offline  
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
 
calynde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the foot of the Alps
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
so whats your Halloween time rituals?
There is no real Halloween where we live, so we have our own little things that we do. We dress up for sure! We play pin-the-face-on-the-jack-o-lantern, an idea we got from the book "A Child's Seasonal Treasury" years ago. We carve pumpkins and make pumpkin soup. This year we were able to grow the pumpkins so that part will be extra special this time. Then we make homemade individual pizzas with monster faces.

We usually go ring at the neighbor's doors and they give ds a little something. Fun!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

calynde is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 12:25 PM
 
mamaofthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dropped in quickly to post this...

http://naturenest.wordpress.com/

maybe some of you know this one already, but she has a great sentence thing in there! i love it!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

mamaofthree is offline  
Old 10-05-2009, 03:42 PM
 
SamuraiMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: asleep on big laundry MT.
Posts: 1,501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mama's. We are new to HS, my oldest DD, who is 11, is in PS. My youngest DD/5 is sort of in K at the same school, be we like to sleep in the a.m. so we kind skip a lot. I think I am going to officially pull her out this week. I have been HSing our oldest DS who will be 7 in a month, in sort of a unschooling kind of way for the past month but I am feeling like we need some kind of an "outline" to work from. After reading through most of this thread last night and reviewing over and over again a # of curriculums , I realized how much I really like Waldorf for HSing. SO I checked out Little Garden Flower, which I know many of you like, but I also looked at Waldorf w/o Walls and was wondering if anyone had any experience w/ it at all. I have to say I was reluctant to invest time in reading threads about curriculum and the sort, but I am so glad I did. We went for a nature walk this a.m. and got to see a family of Deer hanging out in the woods! Great way to start the day! Love it! So excited!

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         
 
SamuraiMom is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
 
eastkygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: some dark mtn. holler
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Pomfrey View Post
Hey Calynde and Kittywitty! Narnia, I love your name.

On the inner work, it seems like over the years I have used so many things, but the most helpful part is to just look deeply into my children's eyes when I'm with them and to spend some time meditating on them later. I then make sure our schoolwork connects to the innner spirit that I see there. They say Waldorf teachers even meditate on each child briefly each day.
I'd love to hear how this is done. I meditate regularly, and I would love to meditate on my children. I need to know how to anticipate their needs more. Connect better with their spirit. I know it's probably something simple, but I'd love to hear what you do.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

eastkygal is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 AM
 
eastkygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: some dark mtn. holler
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things are going pretty good here. Yesterday, we worked on the outdoor playspace, adding a rock pile, stick pile and such. The girls are loving their outside time.

DD1 said this morning... Yay! it's a school day, I don't have to watch (meaning TV). I allow her a movie and one short one on the weekends because she has been used to regular TV over the last year. We fell off the wagon for awhile. She has done so good with this and hasn't begged for TV or anything. her comment today, tells me she might be looking for more structure on the weekends. We often go stay all night with one set of the grandparents or at least visit them every weekend. At their houses it's a free for all because DH and I are a little "kooky" in our parenting choices. But, I'm thinking there might be a way to make it more structured for her.

DD2 is having some kind of issues. I think it is teeth and some sort of separation anxiety. She has been trying to get her canine teeth for months now. She has loose stools and is so cranky. All morning she follows me around crying and trying to hold to my legs as I go about my morning chores. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to wear her as my back went out. She chewed shoes all day today. I had to keep taking them from her. Also, she cries and whines alot in my presence, but today I went to the chiropractor and DH kept the girls. She did wonderfully, until I came home and went back to the whining and needing me to hold her for long periods. I feel bad for her and wish there was something more I could do to bring back my happy baby. She's even stopped wanting to walk on our nature walks, which she used to love to do because normally she is very active and loves outdoors.

Halloween - I do take my girls to trick-or-treat in a small area so the candy is limited. I throw away most of the candy, but allow them a treat jar for after dinner or on special days. It is my favorite holiday and I'm looking to make it more original to us this year. We'll carve a pumpkin and I'd like to have a dinner for friends and family. I have a wreath to decorate with stuff from our nature walks. Also, I'll do whatever is suggested in Little Acorn.

We are having such a blast with that curriculum. It is written very mindful of a budget and what might be readily available to a person.

Anyone have any thoughts on the grain or color of the day? Does anyone follow these principles? Where might I read more about them?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

eastkygal is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 AM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,061
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We don't follow the grain of the day. I wouldn't even know where to find the different ones where we live!

Halloween: We trick or treat and I have some Samhain activities for the kids from Earth School and my Circle Round book. Lots of songs, art, and candy. Not too much, though. We send over 90% of it to work with dh and he passes it out to his students.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Madame Pomfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Great Plains
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
I meditate regularly, and I would love to meditate on my children. I need to know how to anticipate their needs more. Connect better with their spirit. I know it's probably something simple...
I don't know if it would work for you, but I really do just make a point of looking into their eyes when I'm listening to them or talking to them; and I take a few moments to watch them when we're out in group activities. I know the sparkle or lack thereof; I know when something isn't quite right. Then when I'm meditating I just focus on each child. It seems like ideas come to me more than my creating them.

When planning a block (or unit) I consciously think about the challenges that we need to address - academically, physically, and spiritually. These might influence the stories we tell or the crafts/activities I choose. How many different ways can you study WW2 or 3D Geometry? I just find an approach that supports the child's needs - without overwhelming him or preaching. (At least I try.) And I give them the chance to help me make those choices.

Wishing you health,

Lucie
who has just finished homemade chicken soup and is about to take a nap in this coughy/slightly-congested household

still homeschooling holistically with my two boys, 14 & 10
Madame Pomfrey is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM
 
pampered_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere short of crazy
Posts: 4,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
DD2 is having some kind of issues. I think it is teeth and some sort of separation anxiety. She has been trying to get her canine teeth for months now. She has loose stools and is so cranky. All morning she follows me around crying and trying to hold to my legs as I go about my morning chores. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to wear her as my back went out. She chewed shoes all day today. I had to keep taking them from her. Also, she cries and whines alot in my presence, but today I went to the chiropractor and DH kept the girls. She did wonderfully, until I came home and went back to the whining and needing me to hold her for long periods. I feel bad for her and wish there was something more I could do to bring back my happy baby. She's even stopped wanting to walk on our nature walks, which she used to love to do because normally she is very active and loves outdoors.
My 20 mo dd is so very similar. It really makes my days a bit challenging (and part of the reason I'm still very apprehensive about the coming baby - so very unplanned). She does fantastic for dh or just about anyone else who might watch her, but when it comes to me there's lots of crying and whining. I wish I had more suggestions for you...goodness knows I don't always handle it the best.

As for halloween....we typically get together with my parents and then the kids go trick-or-treating in their neighborhood. They live in a smallish subdivision in the country so there aren't that many houses and they typically give out some pretty nice stuff. To help cut down on the candy this year I was thinking about doing something like the "Sugar Sprite" that I read about in Sonya's (A Toy Garden) email that went out towards the beginning of September. They describe it over here. I've got two small wooden cars for each lo.
pampered_mom is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
 
mamaofthree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
completely OT but I have a question...


how do you do this when you make a link and have it be just a word (like about when you clicked on the word "this" it was blue and lead you to the link) instead of having to put in the whole address?
thanks

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

mamaofthree is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 07:05 PM
 
wish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: edge of the bed
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
Things are going pretty good here. Yesterday, we worked on the outdoor playspace, adding a rock pile, stick pile and such. The girls are loving their outside time.

DD1 said this morning... Yay! it's a school day, I don't have to watch (meaning TV). I allow her a movie and one short one on the weekends because she has been used to regular TV over the last year. We fell off the wagon for awhile. She has done so good with this and hasn't begged for TV or anything. her comment today, tells me she might be looking for more structure on the weekends. We often go stay all night with one set of the grandparents or at least visit them every weekend. At their houses it's a free for all because DH and I are a little "kooky" in our parenting choices. But, I'm thinking there might be a way to make it more structured for her.

DD2 is having some kind of issues. I think it is teeth and some sort of separation anxiety. She has been trying to get her canine teeth for months now. She has loose stools and is so cranky. All morning she follows me around crying and trying to hold to my legs as I go about my morning chores. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to wear her as my back went out. She chewed shoes all day today. I had to keep taking them from her. Also, she cries and whines alot in my presence, but today I went to the chiropractor and DH kept the girls. She did wonderfully, until I came home and went back to the whining and needing me to hold her for long periods. I feel bad for her and wish there was something more I could do to bring back my happy baby. She's even stopped wanting to walk on our nature walks, which she used to love to do because normally she is very active and loves outdoors.

Halloween - I do take my girls to trick-or-treat in a small area so the candy is limited. I throw away most of the candy, but allow them a treat jar for after dinner or on special days. It is my favorite holiday and I'm looking to make it more original to us this year. We'll carve a pumpkin and I'd like to have a dinner for friends and family. I have a wreath to decorate with stuff from our nature walks. Also, I'll do whatever is suggested in Little Acorn.

We are having such a blast with that curriculum. It is written very mindful of a budget and what might be readily available to a person.

Anyone have any thoughts on the grain or color of the day? Does anyone follow these principles? Where might I read more about them?
My dd's preschool has some info on grain of the day and colors and stuff. Just scroll down to below the Michaelmas poster.
http://riversongwaldorf.com/

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

wish is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 11:07 PM
 
pampered_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere short of crazy
Posts: 4,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
how do you do this when you make a link and have it be just a word (like about when you clicked on the word "this" it was blue and lead you to the link) instead of having to put in the whole address?
In the box where you compose your reply there's a graphic with a globe and two chain links - highlight the text you want, click on that button and enter in your web address in the pop up box.
pampered_mom is offline  
Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 PM
 
eastkygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: some dark mtn. holler
Posts: 2,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
My 20 mo dd is so very similar. It really makes my days a bit challenging (and part of the reason I'm still very apprehensive about the coming baby - so very unplanned). She does fantastic for dh or just about anyone else who might watch her, but when it comes to me there's lots of crying and whining. I wish I had more suggestions for you...goodness knows I don't always handle it the best.
I saw a tooth coming through today. I'm hoping that that will help relieve her some. I'm also trying to slow myself down and remember her before and while involved in things.
I completely understand your worry. Maybe the new baby will actually help your DD. I think it helped my oldest.

Madame Pomfrey
Thank you. I'm going to try this.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

eastkygal is offline  
Old 10-07-2009, 10:52 PM
 
AnoriensMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
. To help cut down on the candy this year I was thinking about doing something like the "Sugar Sprite" that I read about in Sonya's (A Toy Garden) email that went out towards the beginning of September. They describe it over here. I've got two small wooden cars for each lo.
Wow! I have never thought of doing something like that! What a great idea! I usually just throw most of it out after they are sleeping. I like this way better, but I wonder if it is too late to use for my DD that is almost 6. She might not fall for it!

Narnia, mother of Anorien (10/03) and Ford (5/07)
AnoriensMom is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off