Just did our first BIG library run... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think any of the library systems we use have a limit on the number of books you can check out at a time. Good thing, because it's hard enough for me to keep track of my own account, let alone accounts for my kids. It's so much easier when all of the info is in one place. We usually have 50-100 items checked out at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB736 View Post
Man... I really need to start paying down my debt to the library. I'm so jealous now. I love the library but haven't been able to check anything out in quite a few months because I owe too much money. I hope you all are better than me at keeping organized and getting books back in time. When you take too many out the fees add up really quick!!
They do add up fast! Regardless, for me it's much cheaper to pay the fines than it would be to buy the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
It is so funny but you can get email update so it emails three days before your items are due. Feature Videos can only be rented for four days so the day after you rent a video you get an email reminder.
The library we use most often is further away, but it has a kick-ass website, which makes it worth the drive. We can choose to have e-mail reminders 5-, 3-, or 1- day before items are due.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#32 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 AM

I would never be able to keep track of that many books!

I have no idea what our limit is (I have a feeling it's under 20), but I do know that we get charged $.25 for every request! It makes me crazy, because like you, I'd like to request the ten books I need to have them all at once to prepare, but I don't want to pay to do it each time. Plus, the online system is so annoying that you have to pay for each request as you go, so I can't just put them all in a cart and pay once. It sucks.
#33 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 03:21 AM

Ooops, wrong thread.
#34 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 AM

The card attached to bag is a good idea. We rarely ever use the actual cards because both dp and I have all four card numbers memorized. Yeah, we use them that much. We used to carry books home in a large gym type bag, but that was too heavy. We now use two cloth book bags bought at the library, and reuse a couple of tough plastic library bags that we keep tucked inside just in case we overrun.

blogging.jpg

#35 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Wow, how do you guys keep track of that many books! We already have hundreds at home and everything gets so mixed up, lol. Plus, our local library, while I love it, has ZERO of the books needed for our new curriculum. And the next biggest is 45 miles away and had a 3 BOOK LIMIT if you are out of county!! And you have to have them back in a week! Urgh.... Its driving me crazy. When my sister and I were kids we went to the library almost everyday, and checked out at least 20-30 each per week. It was awesome! We LOVE books!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#36 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow, how do you guys keep track of that many books!
After losing more than one we've had to institute a policy of having them all kept on one shelf that is designated for that purpose and the kids may have one book from it at a time.

Also, both library districts we use have our accounts online so we can easily check them to see what we have and when it is due and renew items.

#37 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 02:43 PM

Our library has our account online so it's easy to see what we have out, but we also have a special place in our living room where all of the books we check out have to be returned to. The kids are fairly good about doing this but I also pick them up and stick them in the box when I see them lying about.

, , , and
#38 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 PM

We have around 100 out right now. I've resorted to using a rolling suitcase for our library trips. And to keep track of them we keep them all on a specific bookcase. All books in our house, whether from the library or from our personal collection, are "returned" to a bin (a wooden crate that unit blocks came in) and it is my job to re-shelve them. Once the boys are older they will be responsible for properly re-shelving their own items, but for now this system is working great for us.

I also try to return books a few days before the due date so that I can check the online system to see if we somehow missed any (like the Dr. Seuss library book that a babysitter put with our own collection when she tried to be helpful while I was out of town....since I was out of town and it wasn't with the other library books for Marc to return I had to pay a $5.95 fine) and get them turned in before they are due.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#39 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM

I don't think we have a limit on ours, but I normally don't take over 25 a week. That is enough to comfortably get us through and I'm happy with that lol.

I use a big reusuable grocery bag also, works great. Our library cards here though, are made for key rings so I just have mine on my van keys. It's always with me lol
#40 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

OK, so I didn't get around to my book inventory last night. Ended up taking a bath, with a glass of a great local wine we found at the farmers market, & a good book instead.

As far as keeping track of that many books, well, I'm still working out the system for our homeschool books. What we do for our regular books is keep them all on one shelf. Will probably do something similar with the homeschool books, although I need to clear another shelf just for them. I'm also grouping the homeschool ones together by week. The ones we're currently using go on my desk, along with our homeschool texts, and the binder where I keep the girls' various paperwork filed. Upcoming weeks will go on a separate shelf.

For tracking due dates I write the dates on the calendar when we get home from the library. Since I glance at my calendar daily it gives me a quick reminder if anything is coming due. We can also check due dates & renew online (unless it's already overdue...then we need to call to renew). So once I see I have something coming due I check online, renew whatever needs it, and pull whatever needs to go back off the shelf. This system is not perfect since it relies on me actually marking the dates on the calendar though! Also, DH has his own card & doesn't always tell me about due dates. Still, we probably pay $30-40 a year in late fees between the 2 of us, but it's still a deal in our view considering the huge volume of stuff we take out.

Books & audio books can be out for 1 month, DVD 3 days, VHS 1 week. Special materials, like project boxes or bags from the kids room or materials specific for teachers can only be taken for 1 week.

My plan is to return school books to the library as we finish with them. We normally go at least once a week, but I do like to have several weeks of school books ahead of time so I can plan. Also, in case I need to request any. Requests are free for us & can be done online, but always take a LONG time to come in. So if I need something for a history unit 3 weeks from now I need to request it NOW if I want it in time.

Oh, and I'm loving the idea of a rolling suitcase! We have a great ramp & elevator system in our library that the girls always insist on using anyway.
#41 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Wow, that's a bit overwhelming! I think we have a limit at our library. We go to the library about every 2-3 weeks. DD currently has about 9 books checked out and DS has 7. They have their own library cards so we each go in and get some on each of our cards. They like to check books out themselves.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#42 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
Plus, our local library, while I love it, has ZERO of the books needed for our new curriculum. And the next biggest is 45 miles away and had a 3 BOOK LIMIT if you are out of county!!
I have a hard time reserving the books I want. Our library allows us to keep books 3 weeks, which is good, but that means we have to wait longer for others to return the ones we want.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#43 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
Wow, how do you guys keep track of that many books!
We have a special spot for the library books. They have to be returned to that spot or the fines come out of the money they earn for extra jobs around the house. That's not to say that I have not lost a book or three. My systme is not perfect but it works most of the time. Fortunately, the library sends me an email the day before a book/movie is due. I can also check my account online and see what I have.

I would be devastated if my library started charging for requests. I request a lot.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#44 of 54 Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM

Wow! I thought our 20 book limit was pretty good! I had no idea....... We are always figuring out how to divide things up between us and we go every week. DD is a book-a-holic!
#45 of 54 Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Our library gives us a 250 book limit per card. I love it! The library that we go to is great and all the employees are really nice to the kids, even though they get a little too loud at times. I only have a card for me because my boys are too young to keep track of their due dates. Once they are more comfortable using a calendar, I'll let them each get a card.

Right now I'm in the process of ordering books to last us a couple weeks. Until just a little bit before school started, I thought I was going to send my oldest to public school. So I didn't prepare at all.

As for overworking the library, I don't think so. The library gets money directly based on their circulation and we contribute to that big time.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#46 of 54 Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
I only have a card for me because my boys are too young to keep track of their due dates. Once they are more comfortable using a calendar, I'll let them each get a card.
Are your kids allowed to go to the library alone? We don't live close enough to a library so my kids only get to the library when I drive them so it would be my fault if the books are late. They each got their own card in 1st grade. It made them feel so big and independent and encouraged reading.

We keep our reciepts for the check-outs and I tape them on our kitchen counter and I also make a note on our calendar of when they are to be returned. However, I like keeping the receipt better because it lists the names of each book and that way I'm sure to get them all returned. I'd definitely forget if I didn't have something to go by.

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#47 of 54 Old 08-28-2009, 02:47 AM

paperbackswap.com loves me it's a problem when your kids aren't old enough to have a library card

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#48 of 54 Old 08-28-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB736 View Post
Man... I really need to start paying down my debt to the library. I'm so jealous now. I love the library but haven't been able to check anything out in quite a few months because I owe too much money. I hope you all are better than me at keeping organized and getting books back in time. When you take too many out the fees add up really quick!!
I owe money too :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#49 of 54 Old 08-28-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Can you get a teacher's card? Homeschoolers in Maryland get the teacher's card, which doesn't get late fees.
I need to check on that for MN.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#50 of 54 Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM

I take DD's old stroller to the library.

When we're stacked to the top of the back of the stroller that's it for the week. OK sometimes I slip a few extras into our canvas book bag....

I don't think we have a book limit. If we do it's high enough that I've never come close.

We do have two spots dedicated to Susie's library books, a shelf in the living room and a shelf in my bedroom. My library books get strewn, I usually end up with one in every room of the house. :
#51 of 54 Old 08-28-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttix2 View Post
As for overworking the library, I don't think so. The library gets money directly based on their circulation and we contribute to that big time.
Your library is a very fortunate anomaly. Most libraries don't receive that type of funding.

Also, something to consider about requesting books from other libraries-it does cost your library money. In some cases it is upwards from $30 for each requested title. If you're curious, ask your librarian for an estimate.

Having said all of that. Hooray for libraries and library users! :

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#52 of 54 Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM

We're in a large city and have a 10 book limit. Wasn't a huge deal but now we're homeschooling so I think I'll get my 4 year old a card (I do not see an age requirement on their site).

It's also just a 5 minute drive from home...

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#53 of 54 Old 08-29-2009, 03:48 PM

i am SOOOOO excited and could think of no one to share with but this thread (no one that would care anyway, lol). GUESS WHAT????????? i have a NEW library card from the next town over (separate county). this library is HUGE compared to our town library! i have a 30 book limit, and the kids have a 10 book limit. BUT they have so many books to choose from!!!!!!! and you can actually reserve books!!!!:, which is something my library totally lacked! AND the librarians are actually knowledgeable!!!!!!! AND they have a kids program every Thursday from 4:00 - 6:00 with puppets & crafts. i am so excited, i'm freaking out.....i'm literally annoying my husband!!!!! i had to share!!!!!!!!!

i have a library! doing the happy dance!:

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#54 of 54 Old 08-29-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i am SOOOOO excited and could think of no one to share with but this thread (no one that would care anyway, lol). GUESS WHAT????????? i have a NEW library card from the next town over (separate county). this library is HUGE compared to our town library! i have a 30 book limit, and the kids have a 10 book limit. BUT they have so many books to choose from!!!!!!! and you can actually reserve books!!!!:, which is something my library totally lacked! AND the librarians are actually knowledgeable!!!!!!! AND they have a kids program every Thursday from 4:00 - 6:00 with puppets & crafts. i am so excited, i'm freaking out.....i'm literally annoying my husband!!!!! i had to share!!!!!!!!!

i have a library! doing the happy dance!:
:::::::::: :::::

Sometimes no one else understands!

:::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page