Just did our first BIG library run... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so I admit when I was reading through The Charlotte Mason Companion I had to chuckle when reading the part about how she brings a laundry basket to the library with her.

I could have used one today! We now have 74 items checked out on our library card & another 20 or so requested.

So our first 4-5 weeks of school are taken care of. These are all the living books to go along with the first 5 chapters in Story of the World Vol 1, and for our science studies. Also, for FIAR we're doing with DD2, and of course a bunch of just fun picture books for bedtimes and story times.

All DH said was, "You know, you can come back whenever you want."

Problem is I like to have them a bit ahead of time so I can look through them, get everything organized, and such.

Anyone else making big trips to the library gearing up for the new school year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 03:55 PM

i live in a very rural and tiny town. our library is smaller than my house. we have a 10 book maximum per person. I HATE IT! the only good thing is my library is a block away and we walk there daily.

you are so lucky!!!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Wow 74 books! We have a limit of 20 (I think). But, we also have 3 different library memberships, so we can checkout maybe 50 max.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#4 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 04:08 PM

we have a 40 book limit here

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#5 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM

We have a 50 book limit here. So we check stuff out on the kids' cards too. A TEN BOOK LIMIT?? That isn't even worth the trip, seriously! You'd have to go like every day!
#6 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM

I'm jealous! We have a 30 book max and you can only have 10 books on hold at once. I need a 100 book limit total I think Many times when we go to the library I do need a big bag or basket to carry everything in.

:::
#7 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 04:37 PM

50 book limit per card here, with 4 cardholders. And yeah, um, I'm not even counting them all up! I'd guess we have at least as many books checked out at any given time as the op. We love the library. I often wonder if we are overusing the library, but the librarians assure us we are not. Now movies are another deal. We try to stay away from them because they are $1.25 a day fine per movie per day late. I'm just not into keeping up with due dates for movies .

blogging.jpg

#8 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, wow! Now I feel even better about our library. Really, it's quite good. There were WAY more resources on ancient civilization, dinosaurs, prehistory, and forestry (our first 4H unit) than I could ever possibly have taken out.

elizawill -- A 10 book limit? Oh no! DH & I take out more than that just for ourselves. (Yeah, forgot to mention in the last post that probably 20 of those books are actually for DH & myself. Totally not homeschool related at all.) We are very rural too, NY near the Canadian border, but are just lucky to have a good public library system in our county & the 2 neighboring counties.

freestyler -- had to laugh at your comment about needing to go every day.

I *am* seriously considering bringing a laundry basket next time I go. They do have those little carts that hold up to 2 of those plastic shopping baskets you can use while you're there. May have to use one next time. If DH hadn't been with me I'd have needed to make 2 trips upstairs from the kids room. Too many books to carry at once!
#9 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
A TEN BOOK LIMIT?? That isn't even worth the trip, seriously! You'd have to go like every day!

LOL. we do go a lot! thank god it's literally a block a way!! i have to bring my dh and 2 kids everytime to ensure we can get closer to 40 books though (10 per card only). and what's worse...our librarians totally suck (very harsh, but honestly true). i buy everything we need for homeschooling and i don't rely on our library AT ALL. we do find great books there, but it's just a bonus for us...nothing i count on at all. i'm from atlanta where the library system rocks, so it has been a huge disappointment.

instead of a laundry basket, i have a reusable grocery bag from harris teeter (large cloth bag). i hole punched our library card & it's tied to the bag. my children each have their own bag with their card attached & the bag can comfortably hold 20 books each. anyway - i prefer this over the laundry basket just a thought.

#10 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
i hole punched our library card & it's tied to the bag. my children each have their own bag with their card attached & the bag can comfortably hold 20 books each.
Lurker in this forum...de-lurking because that is the BEST tip I have seen in ages! I misplace our library card all the time!

Never again..........

THANKS!:

~L.
#11 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM

Wanting to see what you got I love books!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#12 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 PM

We are limited to five per person so thirty for us but they overrule the computer for us if we want them too. It's a small town library three blocks from our house and we go 1-2 times a week.

:
#13 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
Wanting to see what you got I love books!
I'm going to separate everything this evening by subject & topic, make a book list, & take pics. (Pics are for my IL's who live far away. I try to keep them involved in what the girls are doing....send lots of pics of activities, what we're learning in school, and random stuff.)

I'll post links to the pics & the book lists once I get them together.

The idea about attaching the card to your bag is really good. I do have a bunch of cloth grocery bags. Now it's just remembering to bring them into the library with me. They never seem to make it into the grocery store.
#14 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 06:10 PM

we have no limit either, we love getting tons of books too!!!! definitely started already

~Sara, WAHSingMomi to girls R and AV, S.O.A.R. Scout Leader and Homeschooling In Detroit Blogger

#15 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 PM

Man... I really need to start paying down my debt to the library. I'm so jealous now. I love the library but haven't been able to check anything out in quite a few months because I owe too much money. I hope you all are better than me at keeping organized and getting books back in time. When you take too many out the fees add up really quick!!
#16 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have a HUGE library bag, sold by our library, super-reinforced and incredibly heavy when full.

Since we have such a big family, all the kids except the 3yo have library cards. I'd never heard of checkout limits except for limits on DVDs and CDs? And we don't have late fees, only lost book fees.

We're doing SOTW II this year, and going to the library tomorrow to fill up on extra books. So far, the chapters are just overlap from last year, and the kids know most of the stuff we're covering.

Our usual checkout (not including the teens!) involves tons of mysteries for me, whatever cook books look nice to me, authors like Cornelia FUnke for my 8yo, the Commander Toad books for my 5yo (again, and again, and again), and anything my 3yo sees that catches her eye.

That's how I go through the library..."Ooooh, that looks like a good book!"

I love the bag/card idea. I must do this!

Love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#17 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM

Wow, I'm not sure my town library even has check-out limits. The county library system here lets you check out 50 items per card.

I do have trouble keeping track of all my library books so I can make sure we return them on time, though...

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#18 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Yes! Oh my, yes! I was actually a little self-conscious checking them all out and hefting them out the door....and then I ended up renewing them all about three times before finally returning the books (and renewing some yet again).

Happy and in love with my family!
#19 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM

I would be so sad if we had a lending limit at our library. I'm a library whore. Not just a whore, but a glut. I go multiple times a week and often checkout more than I know I can personally read before they are due. I'm just triage challenged. But, we get tons of books for home school, as well as whatever has caught my interest at the moment, as well as political books, as well as mystery books as well as romance books as well as...well, you get the picture.

, , , and
#20 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
We have memberships at two different library districts. One has a 25 limit and the other is 100. We generally have at least 60 things out at a time and that is just my husband's cards. If we all had cards, I can't imagine... Our house is already overflowing with books.

ETA: We usually go to the library at least 2x a week.
#21 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I go multiple times a week and often checkout more than I know I can personally read before they are due. I'm just triage challenged.
They opened up a new library near us this year that is called a Browsing Library and it is basically all their new books and they are shelved to make it really easy to find all sorts of neat books that one could never have the time to read.
#22 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
LOL.

instead of a laundry basket, i have a reusable grocery bag from harris teeter (large cloth bag). i hole punched our library card & it's tied to the bag. my children each have their own bag with their card attached & the bag can comfortably hold 20 books each. anyway - i prefer this over the laundry basket just a thought.
Awesome idea

10 books man that stinks we dont have a limit here and an awsome library system

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#23 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 PM

My friends were laughing and joking that our library must be closed because I have all the books. And I do have a large stack in the corner of the dining room. I like to have 2-3 weeks lessons at a time. Our library has a 50 book per card limit. Between the kids and I we are okay.

I was in the library every other day this past week picking up the books I requested for the start of our school year. I <3 my library.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#24 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 PM

We have a ten book limit here too. Drives me crazy! My son has a card and I have one so we can get 20 books at one time if we want. I love your idea Amy about the cards and the bag Yet another great idea
I am amazed at the amount of books you can all take out. Must be wonderful!
I think the librarians dread when we come in because I always have books on hold from all over our library system and they all have different due dates
#25 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
When you take too many out the fees add up really quick!!
Can you get a teacher's card? Homeschoolers in Maryland get the teacher's card, which doesn't get late fees.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#26 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 PM

I work at the library 10 hours a week, and I would love to get some tips from you all to help some of our visitors. Tell me how you organize/store your library books/cd/dvd once they get home.

I used to keep them all on my headboard, but we soon checked out too many and they fell on DH when he was sleeping. So, we are trying out some new tactics. Love to hear where or how you keep track of yours.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#27 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Our Library has a 50 book limit.

You can get a library card that goes on your keychain like those loyalty cards from the grocery.

It is so funny but you can get email update so it emails three days before your items are due. Feature Videos can only be rented for four days so the day after you rent a video you get an email reminder.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#28 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsomesmomma View Post
We have a ten book limit here too. Drives me crazy! My son has a card and I have one so we can get 20 books at one time if we want. I love your idea Amy about the cards and the bag Yet another great idea
aren't you in NY??? that should be illegal to only have 10 books per person in NY, lol. i'm glad i'm not the only one on "restriction" - i was feeling ostracized

sebarnes, i laughed outloud when i read your post!!!!

#29 of 54 Old 08-24-2009, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Usually, we make a "no books at the table" rule, but after my library runs, I leave a book or two on the table to be found by my 8 and 5yo's in the morning. :-) It works out wonderfully. They're book hounds, they'll read *anything.*

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#30 of 54 Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 AM

We have a 100 book limit. We arrive at the library with a huge rolling suitcase. Usually my little one is riding on it. We go to the library about once a week and change out the books for new ones. My dd reads constantly and it is so hard to keep her in books. Plus then we always need reference type books for whatever project or subject we are working on at the time. Then my little guy needs a ton of picture books because he loves to be read to. Then next thing you know you need rolling luggage to manage it all.

And it's all free, which is the best part!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page