K12/Virtual Academy Fall 2009 - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 279 Old 10-30-2009, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife1219 View Post
I didn't read ahead, so I apologize if you already wrote something about this, but does it seem boring and repetitive? Is it more or less like the K12 phonics curriculum?
Its more of a major mismatch with my style and the style of my oldest child. I'm all for scripted stuff for teaching (which is why I love k12 right now lol) but this is soooooo corny with how its done, I rolled my eyes when I read the first lesson the night before I did it with Melissa the first time. I mean really, it just is that fingernails on a chalkboard thing for me personally. And I'm learning exactly how like me Melissa is, and in how many ways, she responds just like me to almost everything. It just isn't good for her and I, but I know that it will be ok with Lydia probably because she's just that kind of kid

gromero- Gina- Yes, I'm Cat from LF over at BBC. I've recently stopped posting there for a while myself, after some *interesting* discussions that have come up (decided to spend more time focusing on other things that don't involve tv celebrity families) When they switched over to the new format, I almost left but I'm a group owner on a few boards and can't leave since I'm the ONLY active GO on one and they do need some occassional moderation and deleting of stuff. As for how to handle the littlest one, well I'm teaching K and 1st right now with a 3yo and 2yo, and I try to do stuff with one kid at a time. I sit Lydia (my K'er) down for seatwork and we do it while Melissa (the 1st grader) plays with the 2 little ones. Then after lunch the 2yo, Jordan, goes down for a nap and I do Melissa's lessons while Lydia plays educational games and puts together puzzles and stuff like that with Kimmy, the 3yo. I'm really dreading when Kimmy starts K in 2 years, I'll have kids in K, 2nd, and 3rd grades with one that is in 4yo preschool (Jordan meets the K cutoff in our state by 3 weeks, we're debating if we want to hold her back a year though) If we don't hold Jordan back we'll have kids in K, 1st, 3rd, and 4th grade but if we do hold her back it'll be K, 2nd, 4th, and 5th grades. We really can't decide, but currently are leaning toward holding her back for my sanity's sake LOL

I am so tired right now, tomorrow is our last soccer game for fall season and Monday starts dh's week off vacation (lord help me!) We have a TON of work to do around the house, and the big kids get to take next friday off lessons because we have to take both of them to get fillings (they gotta get gassed to cooperate) I have a feeling we'll be doing a LOT of life skills lessons next week, with a ton of practical application of current skills for reinforcement.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 279 Old 10-31-2009, 04:51 PM

Is anyone is using K12's foreign language courses, and if so, which one and how you like it?
We're using time4learning.com 1st grade language arts, math, science and social studies with my gifted preschooler, but they don't have any foreign languages and he really wants to learn at least one. I'm too poor to go K12 for all subjects, so it would just be for the one subject.
#273 of 279 Old 11-01-2009, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post
Is anyone is using K12's foreign language courses, and if so, which one and how you like it?
We're using time4learning.com 1st grade language arts, math, science and social studies with my gifted preschooler, but they don't have any foreign languages and he really wants to learn at least one. I'm too poor to go K12 for all subjects, so it would just be for the one subject.
They use powerglide http://www.power-glide.com and honestly? I thought it sucked big time, at least the spanish did. There were a lot of errors in the program and it moved way way to fast for us. Once your child is kindy age K12 is free in most states if your in the US

Seriously?
#274 of 279 Old 11-01-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
They use powerglide http://www.power-glide.com and honestly? I thought it sucked big time, at least the spanish did. There were a lot of errors in the program and it moved way way to fast for us. Once your child is kindy age K12 is free in most states if your in the US
Not in Michigan, unfortunately. We looked into it with my older son last year. Thanks for the review-- I don't want to waste my money.
#275 of 279 Old 11-01-2009, 07:59 PM

My kids enjoy the foreign language, but it's not something I'd pay for.
#276 of 279 Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all - this has gotten long enough, should we start a new thread, say, "Virtual Academy/k-12 Winter Thread"?

I'm wondering how those of us who are doing k12 for the first time, are feeling about next year? Are you going to stick with k12, do you think?

We have talked about continuing, or transitioning to full-on homeschooling. We've also talked about whether, if we have another child in the next year or two (something currently being debated in our house) -- would we want to put Ina in public school that year, assuming that keeping up with k12's expectations for attendance etc. would be too much bother with a newborn in the house.....

We are liking k12, we like our 'teacher,' the things we have not liked are phonics (but resolved via starfall), and music .... I'm not a huge fan of the art program, which seems very structured to me, but we're working around that.

Not all who wander are lost.
#277 of 279 Old 11-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Well, I'm all for a new k12 thread if you want to start it.

As for how I'm liking it as a first-year user, well I really like it a lot. DH has gotten involved this week since he's on vacation from work, and the kids are learning a LOT of stuff. We are discussing going with public school though for a while after this year, we're at a point in our marraige that we're exploring our options right now and depending on what we choose, I may end up going to school again to get a degree so I can get a decent job. Tough spot but it'll work out as it does.
The only thing I absolutely can't stand about k12 is the music program. I am so happy that I was able to drop that curriculum and go with my own stuff instead. Melissa's having a blast with violin lessons and we're getting ready to start a unit study for music that I pulled off homeschool share.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#278 of 279 Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Starting the winter thread now!

#279 of 279 Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Here's a link to the new thread, for those you just follow the thread subscriptions:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?t=1158825

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page