K12/Virtual Academy Fall 2009 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 279 Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Rachel! Welcome!

I'm sorry things are so tough for your kids in public school right now. I'd tell you to forget the K12 and just homeschool them all independently for much cheaper, but I'm sure you've already considered that option and it's just not feasible for you right now
#62 of 279 Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We got into K-12 as of yesterday, we are just waiting now for our things to be shipped (sometime next week). We did the online orientation already, so now we wait!

For Utah, they no longer do the placement testing for K-1. I was rather surprised by that. They said it was stressing the kids out, so they quit altogether. However, if the child whizzes through assessments then they would just move on to 1st grade subjects if need be.

Glad to be joining you all on this journey. I'm very excited and a little nervous

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#63 of 279 Old 09-05-2009, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Rachel and Lovinlife! I hope the year goes smoothly for you, Rachel, and that a transfer to k12 for everyone is in your near future.

What grade is your child (or children) enrolled in, Lovinlife?

We have done *only* language today and yesterday - and only inasmuch as our nightly bedtime reading goes. We've read 7 chapters of Heidi in that time (Ina was desperate for Heidi to get out of Frankfurt and back to the mountains again, which was accomplished tonight! ). I thought Ina would be more antsy to do some school during this little break for company - but she's actually just playing as hard as she can with her cousins while they're here. I'm kind of looking forward to getting into more of a school routine starting on Labor Day.

Not all who wander are lost.
#64 of 279 Old 09-05-2009, 09:20 AM

I think I might be joining you guys.

I had signed my kids up with Sky Mountain Charter School back in May, going through the entire process and being told we got in and then not hearing anything for the entire month of August, with unreturned phone calls, I finally talk to someone the other day and find out we did NOT get in and we are on a waiting list. : So now I am scrambling to find another program we can use and it is looking like K12 will be it.

Right now I am just catching up on this thread, but I just thought I would pop in and say hi. I am sure I will have some questions, if you don't mind me picking your brains.
#65 of 279 Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM

We started trying to assess ahead on Wednesday, and the boy was NOT open to just sitting and doing work sheets. Even though we blew through 5 lessons in 2 days..he'd rather sit through a lesson. Fine. It was easier than trying to constantly positively encourage him to keep working when he'd stop after 1 math equation.

For the record, he has quite the aptitude for math, but absolutely zero attention span when he's not being constantly directed. So I need to work out another way to fly through lessons. I'm sure I'll figure something out but I thought I'd post my problem and see if anyone else had any suggestions.

I'm also failing miserably at keeping up with our brand new homeschooling blog. I had big plans, too bad my time isn't able to incorporate these plans just yet. I had really wanted to try to give some one looking into something like GVA, a good idea of what we did every day. Hopefully I'll be able work something out.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#66 of 279 Old 09-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Welcome, Rachel and Lovinlife! I hope the year goes smoothly for you, Rachel, and that a transfer to k12 for everyone is in your near future.

What grade is your child (or children) enrolled in, Lovinlife?
He is using Kindergarten this year. I'm not sure how it is in other states, but for UT the only requirements are Language Arts, Phonics, Math and P.E.

I am not sure yet how you do P.E. but we also signed up for History and Science. They look fun . We chose to skip art (he hates painting, coloring, etc) and skip music (he is already taking violin lessons). So far, from the woman I've talked to, it seems pretty flexible. A nice medium between our choices. Hopefully we will get our stuff soon...

I'm a and we are
#67 of 279 Old 09-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post
We started trying to assess ahead on Wednesday, and the boy was NOT open to just sitting and doing work sheets. Even though we blew through 5 lessons in 2 days..he'd rather sit through a lesson. Fine. It was easier than trying to constantly positively encourage him to keep working when he'd stop after 1 math equation.

For the record, he has quite the aptitude for math, but absolutely zero attention span when he's not being constantly directed. So I need to work out another way to fly through lessons. I'm sure I'll figure something out but I thought I'd post my problem and see if anyone else had any suggestions.

I'm also failing miserably at keeping up with our brand new homeschooling blog. I had big plans, too bad my time isn't able to incorporate these plans just yet. I had really wanted to try to give some one looking into something like GVA, a good idea of what we did every day. Hopefully I'll be able work something out.
I look forward to reading your blog. I have found that nighttime, after the kids go to bed, is the best time for me to blog. I was thinking about blogging about the homeschool experience as well (on top of my regular blog).

It'll be cool to read and see pictures from other families doing the same thing.

I'm a and we are
#68 of 279 Old 09-06-2009, 06:50 AM

in Ohio PE is any activity suppervised by you like walking or playing basketball with sibs we do walking and rec center swimming. when DE is playing with his best friend they play a lot of basket ball so i go out with them and we play math ball played like H O R S E but if you miss a shot youican make it by answering a math question. silly boys love the game and i find it fun playing it with them. i am so happy to be a part of my childs education.
#69 of 279 Old 09-06-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I thought PE was the only thing that really varied in terms of what the Kindergarten students were doing!? Interesting. We were asked what we do for PE but there's not a way to take attendance for it or anything. Ina is taking swim lessons, and we may sign her up for soccer or basketball at the Y too (she likes both).

Here in WY, our curriculum for kindergarten is math, language/reading, phonics, science, history, art, and music. I know in some places people are able to do a foreign language too - that might be something we look into in the future, because I'd really like to work on that. I think the local public schools have a "Salsa" language program (on tape or TV?) for language, once a week or something. Not as in-depth as I would like.

#70 of 279 Old 09-06-2009, 07:28 PM

For PE, we have to keep a PE log and have and average of 100 minutes or more per week. Last year they didn't let us have foreign language at the K level - we were told 3rd grade and up. DD HATED music, and would have loved Spanish last year. this year I guess they opened it to younger grades, because she's able to take it. They us PowerSpeak - kind of cool, kind of annoying, but the kids like it. I hear the middle school and up levels are kind of awful, but the elementary is decent. DS will be done with elementary Spanish after this year and has no interest in k12 music, so I guess he'll probably do French or something.
#71 of 279 Old 09-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Thank you for creating this thread! DS isn't quite school aged yet but I was seriously considering K12 as our option once he's old enough. I will learn lots from all of you!

kathyhola.gif : , proud mama to seansuperhero.gif (12/06) and wife to zane reading.gif : cat.gif

#72 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 AM

we dont enjoy the music either and were so happy to find as a 6th grader we dont have it.as i recall our PE requirment is 36 hours for the year i may be wrong but i think that is what we were told. we had 57 hours on the books last year
#73 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife1219 View Post
I look forward to reading your blog. I have found that nighttime, after the kids go to bed, is the best time for me to blog. I was thinking about blogging about the homeschool experience as well (on top of my regular blog).

It'll be cool to read and see pictures from other families doing the same thing.
It's really slow going, I just picked a template I liked yesterday.

The only problem with updating at night is that is my only time with hubby. He leaves here at 9 am for work, and gets home around 8pm. His office is about an hour away and they carpool, so it's a looong day with no dh. I try to stay off the computer as much as possible.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#74 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharysmom View Post
we dont enjoy the music either and were so happy to find as a 6th grader we dont have it.

We didn't have to turn anything in for music, so I just clicked yes to all the assessment questions.
#75 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM

"He is using Kindergarten this year. I'm not sure how it is in other states, but for UT the only requirements are Language Arts, Phonics, Math and P.E."

We have to do History, Science, Art and Music as well as the core stuff. James is open to enjoying all the coursework (so far!), but it's too many subjects IMO. Next year we're going to strike out on our own and cut severely back on the number of separate "subjects" by synthesizing the material more. For the moment, I'm block-scheduling the Science and History so we only do them one day per week, and block scheduling the daily stuff to try and give us 2 days off per week on the daily subjects.

Autumn Breeze - have you thought about giving only the unit assessments until your son is at the right level in Math? Eilonwy suggested that earlier in this thread but I was worried missing something, however I tried it this morning and we skipped DAYS of pure repetition! The couple things mentioned in the lessons that I though might be new to him, we spent a couple minutes talking about and then he did them completely easily on the unit assessment. So I have officially been won over to that method. I juts went to each lesson assessment and marked it off - you could administer all those lesson-assessment questions verbally to your son if you are very scrupled, or you could just click off (truthfully) that he knows the answer to the question
#76 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
Autumn Breeze - have you thought about giving only the unit assessments until your son is at the right level in Math? Eilonwy suggested that earlier in this thread but I was worried missing something, however I tried it this morning and we skipped DAYS of pure repetition! The couple things mentioned in the lessons that I though might be new to him, we spent a couple minutes talking about and then he did them completely easily on the unit assessment. So I have officially been won over to that method. I juts went to each lesson assessment and marked it off - you could administer all those lesson-assessment questions verbally to your son if you are very scrupled, or you could just click off (truthfully) that he knows the answer to the question
Yes, this is what we tried first. I wanted him to also do one of the work sheets from the text book for each lesson we skipped, otherwise, the little 4-6 question assessment, to me, wasn't enough to know if he really understood what he was doing. But he does not like just sitting down and doing worksheets. He wants me to interact with him, but I'm not going to do what he wants in that way, he wanted me to read every.single.equation. and well, part of doing the math is reading the math LOL. But we're going to do it differently today.

I am going to skim over the lesson, have him do the text page, and then check it, followed by the assessment when there is one. I want to zoom through it, but I am really terrible at math, so I need to make sure he really truly mastered it, because I seriously doubt I can teach him on the fly. I am doing a lot of learning, as the curriculum uses vocabulary I have never heard, or just really don't remember, from school.

#77 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 01:38 PM

Amanda, is your son doing second grade math right now? (I'm guessing based on his age from your siggy and you mention of a workbook, which they dont' have in third grade). DD is doing 2nd grade math right now, too. Sometimes she still needs me to sit with her and go over every problem, even if she clearly knows the answer/how to figure out the answer. I would really shy away from having him do a whole page in the workbook for every lesson. I know that for DD, the repetition is toturous. If it's something new to her, we do a few examples together and then she does a few on her own with me sitting there. If it's clear she "gets it," we move on to the assessment. I also sometimes give her the assessments orally. If it's something I'm pretty sure she knows already, but I want to be sure, I just have her sit next to me and look at the assessment on the screen and tell me the answers.
#78 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 02:04 PM

Subbing to gather info!!

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#79 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 10:20 PM

We have all the subjects for kindergarten here, too. For us, it's a Good Thing because my kids would be insanely bored (and move WAY too quickly) through a half-day program. BooBah's nothing like her brother, but she's still flying through math and science at this point. When I did it with Bean, we actually had to supplement a lot... but he's an odd fellow.

I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. We were out of town for the weekend, and tomorrow we've got a school field trip in the morning. Do those of you using virtual academies have field trips and such? We have trips, gatherings, and Agora Days Out which happens every other week.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#80 of 279 Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM

We have field trips every now and then, but nothing that interesting. We have Community Day, that we could have signed up for, but decided not to because we didn't want to commit to something that we had to do every week (and had to literally drive to another country for . Shhh...the kids' "official" address is at my mom's house in San Diego).

Tomorrow is our official First Day of School, but we've been easing in for the last couple of weeks. Someone please remind me to take attendance!
#81 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 AM

We started this for Dakota this year. It's been interesting so far. Some of the stuff they teach, I wouldn't have thought to teach her (slide vs turn patterns), so I think it will be nice.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#82 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah, the concepts they are putting forward in Math are often not things I would have thought to introduce. even after we are done with K12, I definitely won't be "winging it" with mathematics the way I will probably do with Language Arts and History and other subjects I actually know something about.

We've got some face-to-face stuff offered through our VA, but the primary aim of doing K12 was to AVOID other five-year-olds, as far as my son is concerned. I think we'll probably stick to very low-pressure nonacademic peer encounters this year. There are also weekly Elluminate sessions where you can go through a lesson with other K students in the VA, but I don't think he'd enjoy that either. He'd like extra information and discussion for the History lessons, but they only do the live sessions for Math and Language Arts and we are working ahead in both those subjects. Frankly, I think he'd shout out all the answers and dominate the conversation and be a general pain the butt to the other attendees. (I adore my son, I really do. But I can't discuss his schooling without alluding to the fact that he's a little high-maintenance in the social skills department.)
#83 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 PM

LOL Smithie, when I talk about my son at public school, it's kind of a nightmare. I worry a bit that people think I can't stand my kid, but he is also, high-maintenance in his own way. He really did bother his class a lot last year, which lead to us pulling him out.

#84 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
(I adore my son, I really do. But I can't discuss his schooling without alluding to the fact that he's a little high-maintenance in the social skills department.)
I don't think that Bean is high-maintenance as much as asynchronous. His problem isn't that his behavior is atypical or even untoward for a six year old, but that most of the time he speaks and behaves as though he's much older so when he breaks down and cries and freaks out like a normal child his age, everyone looks at him oddly. He's not in school because I wasn't keen on medicating him and I was absolutely CERTAIN that I'd be getting phone calls within an hour of dropping him off about his behavior and have we had him evaluated and yadda yadda yadda. I don't think there's anything wrong with him, I think that schools just weren't set up for normal, healthy little boys who have a lot of energy and drive and enthusiasm.

We LOVE going to ADO, but again it's every other week for a three hours at a time. More often than that would probably be too much. Bean is working ahead, but it's not a problem for him to join older children for projects. We do math, science, language arts, art and PE at ADO, and kids are divided up according to which course they're enrolled in and occasionally where they are in those courses. Often (particularly with science) there are overlaps, so if we're doing weather for example kindergarten, first, and third grades might work together. For PE the kids aren't divided much, but if they're sorted into teams the teams will be as balanced as possible (so all the eighth graders won't be on one team against the first graders). Anyway, ADO is one of my favorite things about Agora. I think it adds a lot to our experience.

#85 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Do those of you using virtual academies have field trips and such? We have trips, gatherings, and Agora Days Out which happens every other week.
We don't. Wyoming is a large state geographically, and small population -- I think we're the only ones in our county who are doing k12. So if we do any sort of organized field trips or gatherings, it will be with the local homeschooling groups [or just our own individual family], not via k12 at all.

I'm actually dreading a little, reaching out to the homeschool groups here - I've gathered that both groups are Fundamental Christians (and we're not) -- I am going to ask the children's librarian this week when we go to the library, what she knows about the two groups and whether there might be one which would be a better fit for us than the other.

#86 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM

hey mamas. i'm really interested in K12 for my son. i think i'll be pulling him out of kinder this week. he's having a lot of behavior and emotional issues and i'm getting very little help from the school. from what i've read K12 looks perfect for us. i'm not quite ready to HS and this seems like a good place to start. hopefully i'll be back with more info soon.
#87 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 PM

Welcome, Meg! Feel free to ask questions.

#88 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Is it standard policy that they automatically send you the next level up once you get to 80% in a course? We are almost there with math but I wasn't sure if math was tied to phonics at all which she is around 50% complete with. (I had noticed some handwriting with the math.) We're slacking in LA and History though and slowing down on phonics because of the tied in dictation someone mentioned. She's getting the spelling correct but her handwriting is atrocious. We only have these four courses. Our teacher told us to assess out, so I've been doing that but didn't bother getting back in touch with her because it was going well. I do have a phone conference scheduled for next week though.

We've stopped again in math at nickels and DD is excited about it. I do have to tear the HWT workbook away from her though. I think she'd finish it in one sitting if I let her and I think that would defeat the purpose. I might have to invest in some supplemental materials for her there.
#89 of 279 Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 PM

How they handle ordering the next course varies from VA to VA. At CAVA, they order it at 90%, but only after the teacher has done a short "assessment" to see if the child is ready to move on. When DD went from Math K to 1, our teacher just did a quick q&a with her - took maybe 3 or 4 minutes. They should be able to order Math completely separately from LA, but Literature and Phonics are tied together, so if you finish one before the other, you'll have to wait to move on until you catch up on the other side.
#90 of 279 Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM

At Agora most students will have the next course ordered once they reach 80% [before the end of April] and the parent sends a note to the teacher. Things have been a bit different for us in the past because Bean has completed his courses long before April; They require a lot more communication from us. I'm not sure how it will work this year, as work samples will be handled differently.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page