K12/Virtual Academy Fall 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 279 Old 09-11-2009, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is is me ... or are some of the LA reading things for K a bit ... gendered? We read "Lazy Mary" (poem) today, where Mary wouldn't get out of bed for toast and tea but would for a handsome boy with red cheeks?! Not exactly the tone I'd like to set with my dd, KWIM? I might be overthinking things a bit though eh? I had a similar reaction to the Princess and the Frog (as in, why feature a story with a girl who lies to get what she wants, and treats someone she thinks is ugly in an unkind way ... not to mention that I actually like frogs and so does dd ... then also wondering what it is about telling a girl to put up with something she really dislikes in hopes that the frog will turn into a prince). I feel like the story's subtext is that girls don't like wet/dirty/frog type things, and that girls have to put up with things they don't like from others [frog] and maybe will end up with a prince out of it.

I know I must be overthinking it. We've had some productive discussions while reading and rereading it and I think I've gently covered some of these issues with open-ended questions on my part ....

Has anyone substituted other short stories for the ones they've assigned (after reading ahead)? And I'm already feeling a little bit like I'm inserting myself and my philosophies a little too much into her education if I'm doing this, or am I???

Not all who wander are lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 279 Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Is is me ... or are some of the LA reading things for K a bit ... gendered? We read "Lazy Mary" (poem) today, where Mary wouldn't get out of bed for toast and tea but would for a handsome boy with red cheeks?! Not exactly the tone I'd like to set with my dd, KWIM? I might be overthinking things a bit though eh? I had a similar reaction to the Princess and the Frog (as in, why feature a story with a girl who lies to get what she wants, and treats someone she thinks is ugly in an unkind way ... not to mention that I actually like frogs and so does dd ... then also wondering what it is about telling a girl to put up with something she really dislikes in hopes that the frog will turn into a prince). I feel like the story's subtext is that girls don't like wet/dirty/frog type things, and that girls have to put up with things they don't like from others [frog] and maybe will end up with a prince out of it.

I know I must be overthinking it. We've had some productive discussions while reading and rereading it and I think I've gently covered some of these issues with open-ended questions on my part ....

Has anyone substituted other short stories for the ones they've assigned (after reading ahead)? And I'm already feeling a little bit like I'm inserting myself and my philosophies a little too much into her education if I'm doing this, or am I???

Personally I think maybe your reading a bit much into it. We didn't go kindy with K12 so we haven't read that story but I'm assuming its the general one we've heard from time immortal and its meant to show that things/people are not always what they seem. Something ugly and dreadful could really be kind and loving and something beautiful can be not so kind and quite dreadful. Sorta like real life ya know? Remember high school where the most beautiful girl in school usually had a stick up her butt? Well remember the dorky looking chubby girls with glasses and faces full of zits? All the ones I knew were really nice but the popular girls, umm yeah, I'll take the toads thank you.

As for lazy Mary... you haven't been around a teenage girl when a cute boy shows up lately have you

Seriously?
#123 of 279 Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:

I don't remember Lazy Mary (but then I have memory issues) but I do remember the Princess and the Frog story. My girls and I had a blast reading that story and discussing the things that the princess said and did, and how she should have been instead. My 1st grader and K'er are both in K lang. arts and phonics and its just been so much fun for the 3 of us to do these lessons together. They thought the frog was so sweet to get the ball for the princess, then they thought the princess was wrong to not follow through on her promise to the frog until her daddy made her (they also said that they thought the King was being too hard on her but that's just because they have strict parents themselves and know what its like to be flat out told to do something they don't wanna do and made to do it lol) We had a great discussion about homesty and trustworthiness with that story, and used it as a jumping point for some great heart lessons that we had to do this last week with Melissa about following through when she says she'll do something.

For us, the OLS was down yesterday so we only did math and phonics, every time I tried to log anything it just wouldn't work. So today and tomorrow we're going to make up the lessons we missed. We reread "Tom Thumb" last night as our bedtime story, and the girls got the BIGGEST kick out of it. They love having their lang. arts read aloud reread as a bedtime story, so I only read it the first time during the day so we can have that great discussion we have, and then they just just simply enjoy the story itself after that. They already requested that I read Tom Thumb as tonight's bedtime story, but I'm willing to bet that they get a new story that they love more (we're also doing Sonlight core P3/4 with the littlest two for preschool, so they hear several stories daily in addition to the ohva lang arts ones)

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#124 of 279 Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 PM

I find some of the K stories & poems rather sexist. With Bean, I just threw more balanced materials at him. BooBah, Bella and I sit and discuss them. I'm confident that knowing what she's being exposed to will enable me to counter negative messages. After all, these kids don't watch television and only visit websites they have permission to use... I really do control the flow of information and most of the messages they hear. I've had other concerns, there are things which really irritate me, and I've hit the feedback button every time.

For example: When Bean did kindergarten or first grade, three of the sight word cards read "Mr." "Mrs." and "Dr.". Bean had never seen "Mrs." in print before, and I realized that it's because he only knows one person who uses that prefix and he calls her "Grandma". Every other adult woman in his life at the time used Ms. except for his aunt, who was a Miss. I hit the feedback button, because MANY children know a lot of people who use Ms. and don't know anyone who uses Mrs.; I thought it really dated the materials outside of the experience of many 4/5/6 year olds. (Much like the picture of a record in the "I Hear" column of My Five Senses, which neither of my daughters recognized or understood until I told them to think of it as a black CD.)

Some of the stories in the fairy tale book are a bit gory, though they're not quite as out-there as the originals. The history is decidedly Eurocentric, but that's to be expected in any history course-- it's something that I've always been aware I'd have to deal with. It's also got a very Christian spin to it, so I've been actively working to counter that as well. I found that second grade history was the most difficult thus far, because the lessons presume that kids are just assimilating information and not thinking about it too much; That wasn't the case for my son, so we had some difficult conversations over it.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#125 of 279 Old 09-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Rynna's post made me think of the most difficult history lesson I ever did with DD in k12's 1st grade history. It was in the section with Bible stories, and it was the one revolving around the events leading up to the Biblical Exodus. Maybe for kids raised Jewish or Christian, it would be a familiar and not traumatic story, but we're not either. I think 6 year olds are a little young to be learning about Pharaohs slaughtering babies and god following up with his own round of slaughter and I wasn't really prepared to deal with follow up questions about why the Israelites hated the Pharaoh for killing people but loved their god for doing the same thing. There were lots of tears associated with that lesson. To be fair, I should have thought it through because I know the story, but I thought it was a little much for 6 year olds.
#126 of 279 Old 09-12-2009, 02:12 PM

That was a hard one for us, too. Second grade had a lot of stories like that though, it just seemed to go on and on. Roman emperors gone horribly wrong, Christian martyrs being fed to the lions... and we can't forget Pompeii; The title of the book sent along with the curriculum is Buried Alive and I think that about says it all. It's deeply disturbing, and the more a child thinks about it the more disturbing it will be. :

#127 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the warning on that one. I may gloss over that a bit more than usual, to try and avoid some of the nastiest parts of those lessons. Melissa's really sensitive to things like that, so I'll have to be careful when approaching that kind of lesson with her.

#128 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
That was a hard one for us, too. Second grade had a lot of stories like that though, it just seemed to go on and on. Roman emperors gone horribly wrong, Christian martyrs being fed to the lions... and we can't forget Pompeii; The title of the book sent along with the curriculum is Buried Alive and I think that about says it all. It's deeply disturbing, and the more a child thinks about it the more disturbing it will be. :

I think it will really vary, it didn't bother my dd at all.

Seriously?
#129 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 04:23 PM

Given that information, I have a few questions.

For instance, in the case where the book may be too gory for a sensitive child, how do you go about doing the lessons? Do you skip the book and lessons entirely? Or do you re-word the book and do your own lessons?

Just curious. I haven't read through any books yet (they are coming Monday) but I will be on the lookout for these things. I think my son will be okay with most things, we will just have to talk certain things through I am sure, however if something is particularly disturbing (that I think he may have a hard time with) then I am wondering how you all deal with that.

Thank you

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#130 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Once you get the materials you can look at the objective of the lesson, and if it is not an optional lesson, you can find another way to teach the objective. If she passes the assessment, then I would say that's good enough.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#131 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I think it will really vary, it didn't bother my dd at all.
It definitely depends on the kid. That sort of thing has never bothered my older son, but dd is fairly sensitive to books/movies.

As to how to handle those sort of things, I agree with the PP who said to look at the objectives of the lesson and figure how how to teach them outside the materials provided by k12.
#132 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 07:57 PM

I wish we had this in Michigan.

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#133 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just had to say - had a pleasant conversation with my VERY anti-homeschool aunt today, about how k12 is going for Ina.

She wanted to know how it was going, wondered if Ina likes it, what she's learning, etc. She mentioned something about having read somewhere that kids don't learn anything until it's been repeated 20 times (?!) so was glad that there are unit assessments etc. as well as the lesson assessments ... anyway, it was a generally nice conversation with no debate.

#134 of 279 Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Just had to say - had a pleasant conversation with my VERY anti-homeschool aunt today, about how k12 is going for Ina.

She wanted to know how it was going, wondered if Ina likes it, what she's learning, etc. She mentioned something about having read somewhere that kids don't learn anything until it's been repeated 20 times (?!) so was glad that there are unit assessments etc. as well as the lesson assessments ... anyway, it was a generally nice conversation with no debate.
Glad it went well

Now, she may have heard that it takes 20 times (on average, I've heard 21 as the number quoted) of repeating something for it to become a habit.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#135 of 279 Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 PM

Our 5 year old DD is doing k12 for K this year. I had my first 'real' phone conference today to discuss her progress. Our teacher is pretty hands off but very responsive. When we first spoke the second day of school she told me to assess DD out of work she already knew and to go until she hit something she didn't know and rinse and repeat. We haven't spoken since then because this was working well. We had some interesting discussions and she seemed knowledgeable.

She said that once DD hits 90% complete in a course to send her a kmail and she will order the next years curriculum. There is no testing or assessments. That's it. I expressed surprise and asked how they ensure kids actually know the material and she explained a bit of the process. Where we are kids are assessed using a state standardized test at the start of the year. I thought this was all LA based but it might not have been. This is also the kids fall portfolio. They check for discrepancies between the initial test and completed work, as well as track login information etc.. It was interesting. She also said she takes notes on the phone conversations and what I thought was a casual conversation was her assessing me as a learning coach. Apparently I had given enough specifics about some of lessons and things we had done like having DD take pictures of solid shapes she found around the house that told the teacher we'd actually been doing work and knew the course material.

So, that's it. I imagine in a few weeks I will be sending her a kmail telling her we're 90% complete with math and she will just order the 1st grade curriculum for us. Easy-peasy. She was very supportive.

I was happy to hear I could toss out all of the assessments DD has done. I was assuming they'd want them for verification but nope, they don't. She seemed surprised I'd even had DD actually do them all.

There is one thing I didn't think to ask about. DD is halfway through the phonics program but about right on par for LA. Our teacher said those two curriculum's were combined so you can't order one w/o the other. I'm not sure what's going to happen with this. DD has a projected end date in phonics for February but for LA it's not until May. Some days we double up on LA because DD does not like to stop in the middle of a story but I've been skipping LA the next day because of it. I could double up with that though but I've enjoyed the freedom of just letting her read what she wants on those off days. DH wondered if we have to stop when the school year ends or if we could keep going if she ends up getting LA/phonics for first grade in Jan./Feb so she can actually complete the curriculum. We're not sure if we're going to do K12 next year so continuing on the following year might not happen.
#136 of 279 Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

So, we finally did the Phonics today. I'd thought we would have an online orientation lesson for me about it, separate from the LA lesson but there wasn't. And I've been putting it off a little since I realized that, just because it seemed a little intimidating.

Anyway - two things.

First, did anyone read the Teacher's Manual for Handwriting Without Tears? It's approximately 70 pages of information before the actual handwriting lesson shows up which corresponds to the first page of the Student's Manual. I guess I need to read through that ... we did F and E anyway. I have now gathered that apparently I've been Free Writing with Ina; I showed her how letters were written but didn't quibble or correct if she did it differently, as long as the letters looked right. SO. Guess I need to address that. She really enjoyed the lessons and wanted to do more (really protested when I said we'd done enough for the day!) So that was good.

Second - I have no idea why, and it only happens in phonics settings, but she purposely chooses the wrong answer when we're sounding things out. So today when we were doing /m/ and /t/, she would choose the words which didn't start with /m/ or /t/ (the opposite of what I'd asked her). She gets a sly look on her face while she does it, I know she knows what she's doing and thinks it's funny (she's trying to have fun?). I've told her that I need her to focus and do it the way I've asked her, so that I know whether she's really struggling or not. So she'll apply for a problem or two, then do it again. I don't think she's doing this because it's familiar information for her, we really haven't done much phonics ever (we'll talk about the sounds letters make but that's it, no blends or anything). Anyway - any suggestions for this? Ignore it and keep working? Is it a cue for needing to take a break or something?

What with getting our materials a week late, and the company for a week, we are about 2 weeks behind at this point .... Although mostly caught up on math I think, and history and science aren't bad. I think we're going to spend Saturdays for the next few weeks doing some phonics and LA-intensive work so that we're more caught up.

#137 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 12:02 AM

Exolax-

We decided to zoom through the LA - not spend more than one day on any story, and not do any of the extra activities that DD didn't feel like doing. You are able to work over the summer, if you want to, also.

elanorh - dd absoloutely hated the k12 phonics program and would do exactly what you're saying. She thought the questions were dumb because OF COURSE! she could tell the difference between /m/ and /t/ and felt like it was a waste of time. I'd just ask her one or two and move on.
#138 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 12:31 AM

Exolax, Bean and I had the same issues with LA & Phonics K & 1. What I failed to account for was that removing phonics from our day, even just phonics assessments, left about twice as much time to work on LA. He finished LA K about two weeks after finishing Phonics K and LA 1 several days (perhaps a week) after Phonics 1.

#139 of 279 Old 09-16-2009, 11:00 AM

My Melissa LOVES the repetitive questions in the k12 phonics. She got bumped down to K phonics because she's having trouble with reading and confidence. She technically *could* do 1st grade phonics but her confidence suffered so much from being in ps last year that she's scared to try it, so we're building slowly. This week we're doing unit 6 and I think the next few units we're going to test out of, I have to look at them again to figure out where to hit at for her and where to test her out. I'm hoping to have her through phonics K by Christmas, but if she isn't then we'll finish it whenever and then we'll just do our own thing to further build her confidence in reading (I'm thinking we'll continue through Hooked Oh Phonics levels and Explode the Code, both of which I've added to our current phonics as extra practice to get her really going, we're going based on her mood though with it, yesterday she only did k12 phonics because she didn't want to do extra and that's fine with me)

So I noticed a neat little thing yesterday. We are in 1st grade math for Melissa, and right now are working on basic addition facts. Yesterday's was facts to 5, and I realized that she's MEMORIZING her facts as we work on them. She has her 0's, 1's, and 2's that we've covered already memorized and I haven't done a single thing to work her toward that, I'm just introducing them and letting her use the counting chips, her fingers, or a number line to work the problems as needed and so far she's using those things about half the time for problems. I'm amazed, we found something she's going to be REALLY good at I think! Maybe today I'll try 2 math lessons with her and see how she does with it. She may not do well with reading, but I think math may be her thing.

#140 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

So, today, phonics was "the best part of school," because it was the part she did the most coloring in. ??

I am working with her on the concept of reading vs. memorizing her books (she has a very good memory and easily memorizes phrases and entire books). Trying to help her 'get' that with Phonics, she's going to learn how to actually read new books that she's never seen before.

I've been pondering my approach with math. She really 'gets' math, and most of the lessons she's done so far are things she's known and done capably for a long time (other than slide/turn patterns which we'd never heard of, but once we learned what they meant, they're things she's done too) .... anyway .... I fully intended to just sit her down and fly through assessments 'til we hit a wall (but haven't yet) ... and as I was helping her through her math lesson today, I thought to myself, "You know, she may 'know' this stuff, but now she has to verbalize it and explain what logic she followed to reach these decisions, which is not a bad thing in the end."

....So, right now I'm thinking we'll probably 'do' most of the math lessons, at least the first set of work (and then flip through the rest and have her do anything which catches my eye) before going on to the assessment. She's not acting bored by it....

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Rainbow Resources last night - the frog manipulatives and PreK cards for them for SJ to use, and some other PreK things for SJ -- as well as an easel, and magnetic number board, a calendar, things like that for Ina to use as well as 'supplements' to the things k12 sent us. I'm excited for it all to arrive, although given the time of the year I suspect we're a couple weeks out.

#141 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Well yesterday Melissa threw me for a loop. She's in K phonics, we were set to do unit 6 lesson 3 (that would be /kw/ if your familiar) So I decided that I was goig to teach a bit more than just the sound with her a while back, when we do a blend I set up my tiles with all the spellings that sound can have and when I say a word I touch that spelling. So, I put p the QU tile in front of her and she instantly said the sound without hesitating. We did the weekly wrap-up instead, lesson 4 was just review for her that she didn't need. lol So today I thought I'd try something different. I set up our file with 2 lessons in it, and if she can say right off those sounds then we'll pull out starfall for phonics (I count one hour at starfall as half phonics and half technology) and we'll do a little ETC and/or Hooked On Phonics. I'd like to start the units with the PhonicsWorks readers next week, so we're going to book it through the next two units and see what happens.

But in math she's rocking, I still can't believe that she's grasping addition so quickly.

Oh I have a little decision I need help making. Melissa wants to take violin lessons ($15/mo for rental and $460/semester for suzuki lessons) AND cheer classes ($26/mo plus whatever for clothes and shoes, recitals and such are extra) We can't afford both, so we told her to pick one. She won't pick one. Which do we choose? She's an athletic child, and she loved cheer clinic last spring that the HS cheerleaders did for the elementary kids when she was in ps. She still talks about how much fun it was and how she wants to join the cheer squad if they will let her when she's old enough (by then we'll go independent hsing so that she can join if we don't go with ps instead, we're only committing to elementary school for now) But on the flip side, I'm a professional classical musician (obviously not pursuing a professional career right now though, but I am keeping my skills sharp with new music regularly, I'm working on "Flight of the Bumblebee" now lol) and she's been around music her entire life (as have her sisters) and sees playing as a natural extension of expressing yourself and sharing yourself with others. She sees music like I do, as a lifestyle that is wonderful and perfect. As a result of this, she wants to learn an instrument to gain an inside glimpse of this life instead of just being an outsider looking in, to experience that place that I go to daily when I practice. See my problem? They are both things that she's passionate about. The violin would cover my music requirement for her, the cheer wouldn't cover anything really because we covered PE with soccer for fall and spring seasons both. Lydia will meet her music requirements (set by me, ohva doesn't require music in K) by doing ballet since it is so dependent on great music. I want to help Melissa follow her passions, but we can't afford to do both. Would you do just cheer until spring semester starts and then do violin maybe? The violin classes she'll do are offered through Denison University (its about 10min from my house) and she'll have a 30min individual lesson once a week plus a group lesson every other week, plus opportunities for recitals. We would get her the best beginner's violin we can afford, because if she's serious she'll want a good instrument from the start (and if she's not serious, well its a rental to ownership program that we'd be following for $15/mo lol)

And Lydia is presenting her own set of fun for me with teaching. I only had to stop and fully teach a lesson just yesterday. We hit that tally marks lesson. She kinda got it, so we'll work on it a little every day until she does have it. But today I have 3 lessons pulled for her, we're going to do the sheet from her textbook for each lesson and then the assessments. She really likes the math textbook pages, that's the only reason I'm doing them with her. And as far as I'm concerned, if she does 3 or 4 lessons a day in math like this, then at least she'll have proof that she knows the material since I'm keeping all her sheets as we finish them (I tear out all of the day's sheets from the student pages for each subject, as we finish them I put them into a file folder labeled with the child's first initial and the month so that I have a resord of all we did in a given month)

#142 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Have you asked about scholarships?

#143 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"Rynna's post made me think of the most difficult history lesson I ever did with DD in k12's 1st grade history. It was in the section with Bible stories, and it was the one revolving around the events leading up to the Biblical Exodus. Maybe for kids raised Jewish or Christian, it would be a familiar and not traumatic story, but we're not either. I think 6 year olds are a little young to be learning about Pharaohs slaughtering babies and god following up with his own round of slaughter and I wasn't really prepared to deal with follow up questions about why the Israelites hated the Pharaoh for killing people but loved their god for doing the same thing. There were lots of tears associated with that lesson. To be fair, I should have thought it through because I know the story, but I thought it was a little much for 6 year olds."

Oh, dude. We are Jewish and my kids attend a kiddie seder every year that celebrates this horrible story complete with songs and props, but I can only imagine how it would affect a child who hadn't heard it right along (and in my house, we present it more as a cultural myth than as an historical event - WTF is K12 thinking, teaching the exodus as history?).

It's funny that these two things came up in this thread this week - we live in the Bible Belt, and there was a huge whinefest on the K mailing list of our charter school about how violent and gory the fairy tales are, and all the time I'm thinking "how many of you are conservative Christians? Don't your kids hear far worse stuff in Sunday School - presented as historical fact, no less?" Eventually I lost control and sent out an email to that effect - though much more politely framed.

My view is, humans have a looooooooong cultural tradition of doing violent things. If I want my kids to have a classical education, they had better learn to read about violence without 1) getting all worked up or 2) thinking that what ancient kings and generals did is acceptable behavior for 21st-century schoolchildren. Thus far, it is going OK.

... and thanks for letting me know that Phonics and LA are linked! We will have to step it up in LA, for sure. We're almost through the first semester of Phonics, and it's STILL review. How did this kid retain so much from my desultory presentation of Hooked on Phonics?
#144 of 279 Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Smithie, apparently, my dd could already read when we started k12, and I had no idea . Everytime I tried to do a lesson that I thought would be new to her she'd kind of roll her eyes and say "Yeah, I know that. When are you going to teach me to read?" She didn't know she could read either, because she thought reading was being able to read big books without pictures like dh, ds1, and I were doing .

As for teaching Bibkle stories in History - I don't have a huge problem with it. They present a lot of myths from different cultures in their history program - along with Jewish stories, they teach Greek and Roman myths, Hindu and Budhist stories, American folk tales/mythology, etc. I think Exodus was particularly troubling because of the talk of killing babies, you know? And dd is all about babies! Anyhow, it is sort of presented as a cultural myth by k12, but difficulties arise from teaching it that way when there are people who take it as truth.
#145 of 279 Old 09-18-2009, 02:05 AM

Well the honeymoon is over, dd has flat out refused to sit down and do school work the past 2 days. There's ALWAYS an excuse, namely the 3 yr old so the 3 yr old will be spending the day at daycare tomorrow and dd will be spending at least 3 hours doing school work, if I had the stomach for the fight I'd make her do school 8-3 like the other kids to catch up. She's finished 3rd grade math and wants to move on to 4th but she hasn't memorized her multiplication and so the teacher marked it as not done and wants it memorized and I strongly agree with it but she's ran into a problem and suddenly "its to hard". I paid for Timez Attack and she's done fantastic until she hit the 3's and she's just not a flash card kinda girl and more a video game type. All I know is I'm about to pull my hair out! Math is her favorite subject and for her to suddenly put the brakes on everything over this is frustrating.

Seriously?
#146 of 279 Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

kittie - Hmm, you do have a conundrum. I guess I would lean more towards the music, simply because I've never been a 'cheer' kind of girl. Cheer would be a more social event for her, vs. the music being more solitary right? Do you think that the social element of cheer could be something that would be good for her? Which do you think lays the best foundation for a lifelong interest? Or does that matter, in the end, at this age? Hmmm....

satori - Do you think she just needs a few days 'off' to gather herself before she jumps back in?? Not having had a kid that old yet, I don't know for sure. Hope tomorrow sorts it out for you both.

We didn't get much done today, what with company coming (again!). Tomorrow will try to double up some of our work so we don't lose ground too much. Phonics went a bit better today -- I'm not sure yet whether it's 'too easy,' or 'too different from how she's thought before.' We'll see how it goes.

I got an email from someone who's relatively local and also has a kid in K with k12. She'd like to meet up I guess. Hmmm. So, will send her a reply and then take it from there.

#147 of 279 Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 AM

It is a bit of a hmmmmm thing. DH has already flat out said that we can only afford one, and that it will be a stretch right now for us. I personally would rather she do the violin, and dh thinks that we need to make her pick one instead of both. But the chances of her picking one at only 6 1/2 are pretty slim so I need to decide for her. I'm starting to think that maybe we'll just keep plugging with piano (not an instrument I'm strong in but I can play enough to teach a beginner how to casually play a little) and do violin next year, just do soccer for PE and call it good since soccer is paid for completely already lol And yes the university does have a scholorship program, but we'd have to apply now to get a chance at one for NEXT year. Its that competitive, I think this is the only place to do Suzuki lessons in this area (heck I didn't even know there were suzuki teachers til I posted on our local hs group asking lol) We're just going to pray about it and see what comes of it, if He wants her to take violin than He will make our budget work so that it can happen.

#148 of 279 Old 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Dibbles tests .... anyone's K kid done this yet?

Our virtual teacher told us she's administering them in the next few weeks, and that it will help us/her know whether Ina is really struggling in phonics, or if she's perhaps goofing around with them because she's bored (I'm leaning more and more in this direction).

Any idea how they are (dibbles) and whether they seemed to reliably show abilities?

#149 of 279 Old 09-18-2009, 02:54 PM

I've never heard of th Dibbles test (does it say something about me that it sounds obscene? )

Google gives me this, though http://theteacherscafe.com/Reading/D...Assessment.php

oh, and I guess it's only one b, which somehow makes it seem less obscene
#150 of 279 Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, all, how has the week ended for everyone (or has it )?

Ina seems to be applying herself a bit more to phonics. The teacher had suggested looking for items which start with the /sound/ we are doing that day (like /d/ or whatever), so I have started to do that. Today it was a can of Olives and a toy Dog. But I think it helps. Ina would wave the appropriate item when I used that /sound/ and it worked much better, I think, than the "rub your tummy when you hear /m/" guidance we'd been following per the teacher's manual.

I went and looked at our progress tab .... Wyoming VA is supposed to be through for the year May 28th. We got our boxes o'stuff a week late, and then had company for several days shortly thereafter. That said, we're not doing *that* badly. Math and History are both set to be completed June 1st - Phonics isn't due to be completed 'til mid-June, but looking at the progress tracking has helped me get a better handle on where I need to keep working 'ahead' on things (that is, where I need to sometimes double-up on lessons or do extras on the weekend)....

My plan right now, is to try to slip at least one extra phonics lesson into the week itself every week; and to do 2 phonics lessons on the weekend as well. Throw in a few random LA or Science or etc. on the weekends, too, and I think we'll be caught up within a month or so without too much stress on anyone. Which would be nice .... I expected dh to be more stressed about 'keeping up' on this, but he's really much more relaxed about it than me ("We'll catch up some other day, let's go to this instead today.").

If I end up grooving ahead enough that I end up finishing early, I won't worry too much (do Unit Studies and just submit the time to them) - I don't know that I want to work ahead into the next grade level up, unless Ina really starts to cruise in one area or another.

So, tomorrow, we're going up the mountain with our company, and bringing an art lesson I found which doesn't require any online time, and some LA stuff to work ahead on, etc., to work on in the car and at the cabin. I think I'll be able to get through 4 lessons in the vehicle en route there and back, and at the cabin itself, without it seeming like much work at all for Ina. It will be fun to do schoolwork sitting outside under the trees at the picnic table.

My only other thought today as we were doing the kindergarten Australia lesson for History, was -- we definitely take longer than they say on the history and science stuff! But that is because we google the sound a kookaburra bird makes, and looked up all the Aussie foods described in the book (what is a pavlova? etc.). It was a lot of fun, but I know it added at least fifteen minutes to our lesson, and I don't mind - I suspect she'll remember more about this lesson, as a result.

ETA: Thanks, eclipse, for the Dibles link. And I agree with you about the name. It looks like it might work pretty well to get where a kid is really at, in terms of assessing. I guess the teacher will do an eluminate session with her and talk her through it on the phone? The local K did this a week ago, our hairdresser told me, and apparently most of the kids really struggled since it was all computer-based and they didn't know how to use the mouse etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page