K12/Virtual Academy Fall 2009 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 279 Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gina Rae - there are things for Art that they assume houses have (like popsicle sticks) that I didn't have on hand ... We've had to make some store runs to cover those items. I just bought a mixed kit of crafty things (pipe cleaners etc.) because I figure I'm going to be asked to use those sorts of things randomly for projects. That applies beyond art (I think the popsicle sticks were for a Language Arts project).

In terms of boy's books - I enjoyed what I've read of the Lemony Snicket stories. Depending on his reading level, there are books like The Bridge to Terabitha, etc.... I read a lot of 'boy' books as a girl - Louis L'Amours which are just mindless Westerns; Little Britches (a bit like the Little House books but about a boy who grew up in WY I believe); The Call of the Wild and all those books; Where the Red Fern Grows ..... My cousin's little boy is in the second grade, and I know he's advanced, but he loved Christopher Paolini's Eragon series.

I am so enjoying all the insights from those with kids in older grades, about how things are working! I'd noticed some parallels between subjects already, it's nice to know that's intentional and continues. I think it reinforces the concepts being taught.

We ended up taking an extra day visiting family, and I hadn't downloaded the work for that day and printed things to do in the car, so today ended up being a mostly-free day. We stopped at a great museum on our route though and spent two hours looking at dinosaur exhibits which Ina loves, so we got a really nice solid dose of science today anyway. It looks like this weekend is going to be all school days ....

My mother was pretty good about the homeschooling/k12 issue. She brought up and talked about how so much of what kids are learning in school is below their intellectual capacity/potential, etc. So that was great. She told me my youngest sibling had done division in her head when she was four -- but by the time she learned it in school (3/4 grade) she could no longer easily grasp and use the concept, and struggled. I didn't see my sister the principal during this visit, that's going to be a more interesting visit (next month!). Nor the sister whose child is in a brick-and-mortar school for K this year, and very competitive (also next month).

Not all who wander are lost.
#182 of 279 Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
In terms of boy's books - I enjoyed what I've read of the Lemony Snicket stories. Depending on his reading level, there are books like The Bridge to Terabitha, etc.... I read a lot of 'boy' books as a girl - Louis L'Amours which are just mindless Westerns; Little Britches (a bit like the Little House books but about a boy who grew up in WY I believe); The Call of the Wild and all those books; Where the Red Fern Grows ..... My cousin's little boy is in the second grade, and I know he's advanced, but he loved Christopher Paolini's Eragon series.

Just to be clear, while some of these are great books for independant reading, there's an actual k-12 book list for Language Arts starting in the 3rd grade. The ones I mentioned, as well as Pippi Longstocking the Rynna mentioned, are books on this list. DS is also about to start reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH from the list, and I think he's going to do The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe for his final 4th grade book. For thrid grade, he did the two books I mentioned up thread, as well as Henry Huggins (he thought it was funny, but too easy) and My Side of the Mountain (about a ten year old who runs away to live in the wilderness). Anyhow, the way it works is that there's a list of books they get in third grade and every year new books are added to the list, and eventually some of the easier books start dropping off the list. When you get to the novel units, you select the novel that your child is reading from a drop down list, and it adds all the lessons for the book to the OLS. Then in those lessons, there will be student and teacher guides, sometimes on line assessments, and a unit assessment where the child usually has to write a short essay or two about themes from the book.
#183 of 279 Old 09-28-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
In third grade the curriculum is far more destranded than it is in K/1/2. Spelling, for example, consists of two student books and two teacher's guides which are separate from the literature, language skills and composition books (and teacher's guides). They're still "one grade" but it's a series of different books, so it's a lot easier to separate things.
I like the destranding.

Does anyone have any links to the reading lists for 3rd and 4th grades? ODD is in 3rd now and assuming she would go into 4th next year I'd like to get a general idea of what types of things they'd be doing in LA. I took the tours for those grades but couldn't find more info on theBigThink.

I hear they've changed this year how assessments are done. I've seen complaints online that it has become more difficult to accelerate. In considering k12 for ODD next year I'd like to ensure that's an option. While it's ok for our 5 year old to assess out of math (she enjoyed the process) I can't imagine our eldest going through that process for different subjects. I'm not worried about it for YDD because it would seem we've already gotten to that point and if she stays at k12 will just keep going from where she is. With ODD I would demand a placement assessment and I have heard they have stopped doing them. Is it true that now they just do the scantron tests, kids start our at their grade level and eventually may be moved late in fall? I'd like to start out the year at her level, not at an age based one.
#184 of 279 Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 PM

This is a new thing this year and I haven't heard *anything* positive about it. Kids who are advanced end up wasting time doing work that's much too easy; Kids who are behind are demoralized from day one by work that's far above their frustration levels. I'm honestly hoping that it changes for next year, because I can't think of a single positive comment anyone has had about the lack of assessment testing for virtual academy students.

As a complete aside, I'd like to say that I'd be very hesitant to give Bridge to Terabithia to any child under the age of 10 unless I knew them very, very well. My sister's class read it when she was eleven and I argued against it then because I thought it was too heavy for her (and it was). It's one of those books you should definitely read before you pass to your child. Excellent and well-written, but not something I'm going to be handing to Bean this year.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#185 of 279 Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
This is a new thing this year and I haven't heard *anything* positive about it. Kids who are advanced end up wasting time doing work that's much too easy; Kids who are behind are demoralized from day one by work that's far above their frustration levels. I'm honestly hoping that it changes for next year, because I can't think of a single positive comment anyone has had about the lack of assessment testing for virtual academy students.
This worries me. I'm not so sure it would be a good for ODD with this in mind. I asked her today why she wanted to do it and she said "because I work at my own pace", which is a fast one. If she can't do that easily, she's going to be just as frustrated and I wouldn't want her to start out the year like that.
#186 of 279 Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 PM

Well, I'm lost on that discussion, so not going to even attempt to join in. Can someone explain all that to me in simple terms using lots of little words? lol (its a joke among everyone that I was supposed to be a blonde but God mixed up my order and gave me dark hair instead LOL)

Anyway, today we had some success with Melissa on phonics. We started the part of phonics K where she has daily reading sheets, and she did TWO lessons today because she wanted to. But we hit a place with math that we can't get past, and I'm kind of stuck on what to do with it. She's doing really well with her math in general, but she just can NOT get the concept of what we're working on. Its that lesson that she does an addition problem and then finds a related subtraction problem. She flat out is stuck there, and I'm lost on how to help teach it to her so she can get it. We did everything that the OLS said to and she's still looking at me like "huh?" when I do some practice work with her that I wrote out. She literally is LOST there, and with the next lesson too. I'm not too concerned about that next lesson, as its writing out math problems from a story problem (I didn't get it myself until around 3rd grade if I remember correctly) I was thinking that I'd just put those pages from those lessons together in another folder to keep practicing with her for a couple minutes a day until she gets them, and just moving on. But I want to look at the remaining lessons in this unit of math before I do that, I don't want to skip a foundation step for everything following. She's got adding and subtracting down pat though, as long as she can use the counting chips or her fingers. *smile*

Lydia had her KRA-L test today, now I'm just waiting to hear from her teacher about the results of it. I got a quick glance at one page of the score form, and noticed that she probably froze up with the teacher who did the test because I saw that there were letters marked as not known when I know for a fact that she does know them. I'll just wait and see what the teacher says.

DH got involved in teaching today. I set up a few workbook pages for him to do with Melissa (just her handwriting, a math drill sheet I printed off, and a page in her Explode The Code book that we added to phonics) and he worked with her on those. Then he also did lang. arts with the girls (we read the story at bedtime then the next day we do all the activities during lessons time and read a story not in our lang. arts that night at bedtime if they don't want us to read the next LA story) I think he may be doing the reading to them every night at bedtime from now on, he seemed to really enjoy it and I think the kids had a blast listening to him instead of me lol I'll run that by him and see what he says............................

And violin lessons are going rough, but its working for now. We're learning the parts of the violin and how to hold it properly for playing.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#187 of 279 Old 09-29-2009, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all,

So, we're working our way 'ahead' in math. Ina just digs it and is doing really well with it .... We've finally worked our way to the point where I'm mostly doing the assessments with her rather than working through things. I do flip through the lessons because it's via some of the earlier activities in the math problems that I realized I needed to teach Ina the days of the week (thought she had them in order, but she didn't); and identifying coins as well. I'm using those discoveries as my cue to start working on months, too. Anyway, I'll flip through things to see what we might need to work on parenthetically even if the assessments are flying along.

But PHONICS. Oh, the phonics!! I am really struggling to maintain my equanimity on these - I don't want her to create a block on phonics (I created a block on math when I was in the third grade and have struggled with math since). I still don't know whether she's bored or what. She fidgets and seems to struggle to pay attention with phonics; it doesn't matter when we do them, and it doesn't matter HOW (sitting on the floor facing each other, or over the table, or standing and facing me; I even tried having her jump when she hears the same sound starting or ending the words we're going through). Our teacher had suggested going through just the assessments to see whether she's bored because she already knows it, but we did that today and it didn't work. So --- I think now we're going to do phonics twice a day - k12, and then either starfall or some other phonics aids (suggestions??). I picked up some phonics flashcards on our trip....

We are starting to catch up on our lessons after our late start and company ... I'm ahead in math, and nearly caught up in LA and History. We're getting closer. We've been doing some extra on the weekends. I'm just feeling overwhelmed with the phonics issue right now.

Cat - dh and I talked the other day about him taking over a bit of some of the lessons too. I'm not sure that he's patient enough though ... maybe he should help with Language Arts too.

#188 of 279 Old 09-29-2009, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
elanorh,

I refused to do the k12 phonics but instead paid for headsprout.com and it worked much better! We also tried studydog and starfall but it didn't work well for us.

Seriously?
#189 of 279 Old 09-29-2009, 02:20 AM

I really am not a fan of k12 phonics, either. It seems so boring and like pure drudgery. Maybe look into other phonics sources?
#190 of 279 Old 09-29-2009, 05:03 AM

Thank you for the book recommendations and info on art supplies.

Enrollment happened so fast! I faxed forms Friday afternoon/evening and we got the email Sunday. Sounds like the boxes will arrive by next week. His last day at school is tomorrow so he can say goodbye and while he is excited, he is also emotional about leaving his friends.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#191 of 279 Old 09-29-2009, 08:01 AM

Wow, I actually like the k12 phonics. I like having everything laid out for me, and being told what to do. My girls also like doing it. But I did add Explode The Code and a bit of Hooked On Phonics because Melissa gets burned out sometimes, so one day a week I'll do something completely different with her for phonics (I have enough other phonics stuff around that she still gets her phonics for that day easily) I'm hoping that at the rate we're moving, Melissa will be back to phonics and lang. arts 1 this school year. She's going to finish the unit she's on today (I can do a unit in 2 days if she's willing to do it, and so far she's doing great with it all) and she's just having so much fun with all her work right now.

But we hit a huge block in math so I'm just sitting back and waiting to see what happens with it. Hopefully she gets past it quickly, if she truly is a mini-me she'll get there at some point this week and then take off flying with math again.

#192 of 279 Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM

Kittie, if you're doing a virtual academy you can contact her teacher and set up a session with her teacher over Elluminate. If you've paid for K-12 I think you can still get teacher assistance, though I'm not sure how it works.

My son and I did the related subtraction facts by just continuing the sentence.

6+4=10-6=4

we did a lot of those on the white board. He got it pretty quickly, and he's outstanding at math, so I don't know if it was the way I wrote it out, or just him. Ya know?

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#193 of 279 Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Cat - for your addition/subtraction situation - have you tried doing it with counters? Ignoring written numbers and just taking, say, 6 red counters and 4 green counters; add together and you have ten; take away four and ask her how to explain what's left?? Something like that? And then work back to using actual written numbers? She may be trying to make this concept harder than it is.

#194 of 279 Old 09-30-2009, 09:25 AM

That's how i teach the concepts in math. I use the counters (or the connecting cubes, or sometimes M&M's even lol) and we work together at it physically and then move to adding in the written part.

Yesterday we had some success though, she's almost figured out how to write out math problems based on a word problem. I'm so happy with that progress, we draw out the problem as I read it and then she's able to write the problem. That was one spot she was stuck at, so today I'm going to finish that lesson with her and give her the assessment.

#195 of 279 Old 09-30-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXOLAX View Post
This worries me. I'm not so sure it would be a good for ODD with this in mind. I asked her today why she wanted to do it and she said "because I work at my own pace", which is a fast one. If she can't do that easily, she's going to be just as frustrated and I wouldn't want her to start out the year like that.
Totally understandable. Have you asked anyone at your VA about this? While the changes have come from K12, we've managed to make accommodations for Bean with the assistance of his ALP teacher. She's really been a great resource and I've never had the impression that she had anything other than Bean's best interests in mind every step of the way. K12's curriculum is as adaptable as ever (perhaps even moreso), so the accommodations are certainly possible-- it's just a matter of enlisting the cooperation of someone at your VA.

#196 of 279 Old 10-01-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

We are still *loathing* phonics here. I know part of my problem is that phonics came really, really easily to me. Today school took us about 3 1/2 hours -- and at least 1 1/2 of those hours was PHONICS. Gah. Towards the end we did seem to hit a little bit of a groove, I'm not sure whether we were suddenly doing something right, or whether Ina finally decided to just do the phonics so we could get it over with (as opposed to giving wrong answers, just to try to get through it - her answers started being almost 100% correct anyway).

Right now the strategy is to do both starfall and k12 phonics every day (one at the beginning of the day, the other at the end). I have started looking at other phonics programs to see whether they would be good to implement. For those who ignored the k12 phonics, did you ignore it entirely, or did you have them go through the assessments at least, or look through the teacher's manual to make sure that other random things they want covered (like rhyming) are getting covered??

I haven't supervised the starfall time at all, just let her do what she wants -- she seems to be learning. I am wondering if part of the frustration with k12 for her, is that she really wants to connect sounds with LETTERS and k12 doesn't do so and in fact, periodically has the reminder for the teacher that "if your child asks whether this sound matches X letter, that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't" or some such statement.

Any suggestions further?

We are getting much more on track in terms of catching up with things (other than the phonics). At the rate we're going (which I expect to accelerate for math) - we would probably be done with language arts and math by early March, I think. I went to the library today to get some extra reading books from the supplemental list.

I'm still unhappy with all the Princess stories (we're on "The Princess and the Pea" right now). I think next time we go to the library, we'll check out the Paper Bag Princess.

#197 of 279 Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 AM

Check out the the Princess Knight and Princess Smartypants as well.

For phonics, we did most of the assessments, except we pretty much skipped the whole begining part before actual letters are introduced. I knew dd could differentiate sounds, and she was tired of "the school people thinking she was stupid and didn't know the answers to their stupid questions." My dd, though, was either already reading when we started k12 or picked it up really, really fast as we zipped through. If we do k12 for ds2, though, because of his speech delay, we'll probably spend a LOT of time on those early lessons to help him with sounds.

Today, we finished school by 10AM for both kids. It was awesome.
#198 of 279 Old 10-02-2009, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We do the phonics unit assessments and go through bits of the lessons to make sure the random things are mastered (rhyming, finger stretching words, etc.) James actually seems to like the FORMAT of the Phonicsworks lessons - he just gets frustrated that the people who created the curriculum think he is so dumb.

I swear, if we live in a state that allows you to skip K when my daughters are that age, I am going to skip K. James needs an IEP so I didn't really have much choice about getting him enrolled in a public school, but I am definitely learning that a set curriculum for little kids is NOT my style.
#199 of 279 Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Melissa is going to be finishig 1st semester of phonics K next week. We are just giong at it daily, I pull an entire unit at a time for her and we're at unit 11 today. I do a couple pages of the worksheets and she does the reading aloud to me, then we go over the unit's sight words. If she's got all that down, we move to the assessment. So far its working really well with her, and she's not hating phonics too much right now. I like seeing that.

We got past that block with math, I figured out a way to get her to where she can write out a math problem upon hearing the story problem. So I happily moved on with her, we're back to addition facts. Today she'll do facts of 9 and 10 I think, it was pretty late last night when I pulled the pages from our workbooks for the kids (I just went ahead and pulled the entire unit for her so she can go her pace at it)

#200 of 279 Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
For those who ignored the k12 phonics, did you ignore it entirely, or did you have them go through the assessments at least, or look through the teacher's manual to make sure that other random things they want covered (like rhyming) are getting covered??
We're new to k12 this year and are doing K with our five year old. What kind of issues is your DD having? Did you ever establish if she knew the material and was bored and that's why she was giving wrong answers? Our K DD does this as well. She'll do a math assessment or spell a word in phonics and intentionally do it wrong to be funny. Or she'll sit there while she's doing it and say "This is soooo hard! I don't know how to put T.P.A together to spell 'pat'. Is it A.P.T.? Mom, look, I don't know how to do this!" and she'll show me her white board with a big grin on her face with the letters PAT together. It's my first clue that she needs more challenging material.

What we did with phonics:
First I pulled out the UC and LC letter magnets they supplied and sat down with her to see if she knew the letter sounds. I would suggest doing this, that way you can find out where she is or what she needs to work on. I would find out too if she knows the sounds each of the vowels make. If there are some she doesn't know I would make note of those and work on them and skip the rest.

We assessed out of the first half of phonics. Our teacher told me just to give her the units assessments until we hit a wall. We got to the lessons where they introduced dictation and while she hasn't missed a word yet, her handwriting needs work. She's also lost her sight words and switched to purely phonetic reading. I use phonics time now to do just the parts of the lessons she enjoys: some of the work sheets, site word work, spelling out of words and handwriting. I also supplement with different reading materials as she has read through all the phonics readers. In the car she runs herself through lessons in "100 e-z lessons" but she's pretty much done with that and repeating lessons so I think I need to find an alternative (she prefers lesson books over just reading).

Basically I read through the lessons and see what the goals are. I check to see if there are any gaps for her and I will work on those if there are or skip them if not. ie: at one point I wasn't sure if she could identify which letters were vowels so I checked with her and skipped it because she did.

I don't think it's necessary to run through each and every lesson. The assumption is that this is all new material to the child being taught. If you know it isn't, I would skip it and supplement with other things like you are.
#201 of 279 Old 10-02-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
WFor those who ignored the k12 phonics, did you ignore it entirely, or did you have them go through the assessments at least, or look through the teacher's manual to make sure that other random things they want covered (like rhyming) are getting covered??
Bean wasn't reading when we started kindergarten, and we still ended up assessing out of Phonics K and Phonics 1. He recognized his letters and knew all the sounds, and never had a problem with any of it. BooBah does not know all of her letter sounds, and recognizes most but not all of her lowercase letters, so we've actually been doing the phonics program. I've even run into a bit of a wall with her, because she has a REALLY hard time not only saying /th/ but differentiating when she hears the /th/ sound. : I wrote to her teacher asking for advice, but embarrassingly I haven't logged into Kmail yet today. :

#202 of 279 Old 10-02-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

I still don't know whether she's faking it or really doesn't get it. We did try to just do the assessments and move on but she didn't pass the assessments. So .... either that was intentional (I think it was) or she really doesn't get it. I am starting to wonder if it's because we read Heidi this fall - maybe she thinks she's 'supposed' to not get it, like Heidi and Peter? She did tell me the other day that she didn't know what the secret sound was, because it was a secret. I told her it was an EASY secret, not a hard one. And she did better after that ....

We do skip the parts of the lessons I know she knows (like signing the alphabet song - she can do the alphabet forwards and backwards). I hadn't focused much on the sounds letters make, so I don't expect that she knows all of that although I do think Starfall is helping with it.... She gets d and b confused, in lower-case (but I did too at that age, I think we're getting that resolved pretty well).

I'm hoping we can get through this rough beginning and then things will start cruising, and I hope starfall helps with that. If we keep struggling after a few more weeks, I think we'll look into purchasing a phonics plan and following it entirely. I hope we don't have to do that, though.

Speaking of which I know quite a few people didn't like the music program. We're not fans, ourselves (Mostly the songs. We've avoided most children's music until now). Those who skipped music, was there an alternate music program you plugged in, or did you use your own music collection to teach the concepts they were talking about (high/low still for us right now)?

#203 of 279 Old 10-02-2009, 06:46 PM

We just skipped the whole thing. I marked off the lessons that came up in the OLS and moved on. We listen to music everyday, but I never even tried to teach the highs and lows and all that.
#204 of 279 Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I've even run into a bit of a wall with her, because she has a REALLY hard time not only saying /th/ but differentiating when she hears the /th/ sound. : I wrote to her teacher asking for advice, but embarrassingly I haven't logged into Kmail yet today. :
totally normal for kids not to be able to pronounce the difference between "th" and "f" until they are 8. three becomes free, thumb become fumb, and that's okay at 5 years old.
#205 of 279 Old 10-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I still don't know whether she's faking it or really doesn't get it. We did try to just do the assessments and move on but she didn't pass the assessments. So .... either that was intentional (I think it was) or she really doesn't get it. I am starting to wonder if it's because we read Heidi this fall - maybe she thinks she's 'supposed' to not get it, like Heidi and Peter? She did tell me the other day that she didn't know what the secret sound was, because it was a secret. I told her it was an EASY secret, not a hard one. And she did better after that ....

We do skip the parts of the lessons I know she knows (like signing the alphabet song - she can do the alphabet forwards and backwards). I hadn't focused much on the sounds letters make, so I don't expect that she knows all of that although I do think Starfall is helping with it.... She gets d and b confused, in lower-case (but I did too at that age, I think we're getting that resolved pretty well).

I'm hoping we can get through this rough beginning and then things will start cruising, and I hope starfall helps with that. If we keep struggling after a few more weeks, I think we'll look into purchasing a phonics plan and following it entirely. I hope we don't have to do that, though.

Speaking of which I know quite a few people didn't like the music program. We're not fans, ourselves (Mostly the songs. We've avoided most children's music until now). Those who skipped music, was there an alternate music program you plugged in, or did you use your own music collection to teach the concepts they were talking about (high/low still for us right now)?
We are skipping the music program for k12. Instead, I'm teaching Melissa the violin. Last phone conference with our teacher, I expressed my dislike for the music program and how much we avoided it in favor of other avenues of appreciation and creative movement along with her desire to learn violin, so she processed paperwork for us to be attendance-only on music. She said its not that important that we use the music program, and that I could do it with art too if I wanted to go that route. We like the art program so I'm leaving it like it is for now (its the only way I'll do art right now, I hate doing art with my girls because of their ages and the mess involved when the 2yo and 3yo try to join in) So now for music, Melissa does violin lessons and practice, I log her 3 times a week on music although we do a lesson daily along with guided practice for her (I only actively teach a few minutes on a concept, its all I can keep her attention, and then she spends at least 25 minutes after that practicing while I correct her posture, form, and playing or I clap a rhythm for her to bow)

#206 of 279 Old 10-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
totally normal for kids not to be able to pronounce the difference between "th" and "f" until they are 8. three becomes free, thumb become fumb, and that's okay at 5 years old.
Melissa still can't say her /th/ at 6 1/2yo. She lost all her front teeth last school year, and the last one is about halfway in now, so she had a bit of a setback with it because of the toothless issue. I remember having trouble with it myself in 2nd grade and going to the speech therapist at school for a couple months to straighten it up, it was the second half of the year so I was 8yo when I was going. I'd say its normal at 5yo too.

However, when I do phonics with my 6yo and we find the /th/ sound, we go over the sound a few times and then the word its in a few times to be sure she *can* say it, and then move on. I will only do the review two or three times in a phonics lesson, I figure that eventually she'll apply proper pronounciation into her reading and speaking if we keep doing it every lesson like that. She's slowly improving her /th/ usage, its starting to sound more like it should and she's more consistent with saying it properly.

#207 of 279 Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM

How is everyone doing?

We had our first class field trip to the local pumpkin patch. It was really fun!

Has anyone tried the virtual story times, or show and tell?

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#208 of 279 Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
I know it's normal, I'm just not sure how I can teach the kid to read a sound she can't *say*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife1219 View Post
How is everyone doing?

We had our first class field trip to the local pumpkin patch. It was really fun!

Has anyone tried the virtual story times, or show and tell?
We're insanely busy around here. I'm feeling energetic and simultaneously thwarted; Life is just plain nuts. Right now I've got two kids literally on top of me and about a dozen other things I need to be doing. *sigh* We've got a field trip to an orchard tomorrow-- should be lots of fun.

#209 of 279 Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I know it's normal, I'm just not sure how I can teach the kid to read a sound she can't *say*.

We're insanely busy around here. I'm feeling energetic and simultaneously thwarted; Life is just plain nuts. Right now I've got two kids literally on top of me and about a dozen other things I need to be doing. *sigh* We've got a field trip to an orchard tomorrow-- should be lots of fun.
I was wondering if you would mind telling me how close to 6yrs. old your 5 yr. old is? I was thinking about doing K12 with dd1 who just turned 5 a month ago. Should I have already started her? I have a voice mail from someone at K12 today that I need to call them back tomorrow.

Can I ask one more ? Do they expect you to do a full day of schooling, just like they would get at an actual public school? Maybe this isn't an option for us.?
#210 of 279 Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama to 2 girls View Post
I was wondering if you would mind telling me how close to 6yrs. old your 5 yr. old is? I was thinking about doing K12 with dd1 who just turned 5 a month ago. Should I have already started her? I have a voice mail from someone at K12 today that I need to call them back tomorrow.

Can I ask one more ? Do they expect you to do a full day of schooling, just like they would get at an actual public school? Maybe this isn't an option for us.?
To address how much time they expect, you are supposed to record attendance for however long the mandated school day is in your state. However, I find that doing the assigned lessons never take as long as they are "supposed" to. When you record each subject you do on the attendance screen, it brings up a default amount of time for each subject. You can change it if you want, but I just leave it alone so it records (for example) 60 minutes for math even if the lesson only took 15 minutes.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page