K12/Virtual Academy Fall 2009 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2009, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
www.brainpop.com they have free 3 day trial memberships, we love it!
OK I am going to be asking my dh about this brainpop thing. Our school doesn't offer it, but from what I've seen of it so far I REALLY like it and want to add it to our schoolwork. I have a feeling the girls will REALLY like it too, so I'll get the jr. subscription for a couple years then upgrade it to the combo when Melissa's ready to graduate up to the next level. Hmmmmmmm.............

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 AM

I've been wondering why P.E. isn't actual physical activities for K. It's seems more like a health class to me. I was hoping it would be more physical, with games and running, etc.

Is that pretty normal?

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife1219 View Post
I've been wondering why P.E. isn't actual physical activities for K. It's seems more like a health class to me. I was hoping it would be more physical, with games and running, etc.

Is that pretty normal?
Do you have a curriculum for your PE class? We didn't get one at all for our PE classes for K or 1st grade. I am doing sports teams with the girls to meet our PE requirement instead.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Yes, it came with a curriculum for P.E. It is more like health classes; how to care for your teeth, the food pyramid, and the like. He gets his requirements by playing outside, but I thought it would've been fun to have a "curriculum" that gave different ideas for outdoor games to play. I just wonder why they require it here and don't label it health or something. It's pretty boring stuff, most of it.

Bummer!

I'm a and we are
Old 10-27-2009, 03:05 PM

There's no curriculum for it here, either.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM

hi all! Just seeing this! We are doing K12 this year. We bought it privatly though so we have a lot of freedom with it. My oldest is 5 and is in K except for Math which is 1st. We started in July because he just COULD NOT wait anymore! He loves it and is blowing thru it super fast.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:18 AM

subbing, I just found out we have the public school (free!) option here in OK so I began the enrollment process for 2nd grade.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post

I still am not too sure what to do about Lydia and her phonics. We're just a standstill with unit 9, she's just not going further for some reason. The child knows how to read, so phonics K is definitely review for her, but she just isn't doing it now with phonics. Our teacher suggested we do starfall and practice making word chains daily until she clicks what we're doing, and then move forward (she said this knowing we do lessons 6 days a week normally) Does anyone have any suggestions for me on this one? Its almost as if she totally forgot how to sound out words since we started the k12 phonics.
Well - Ina was really struggling with the k12 phonics. And so was I!! Her 'teacher' suggested that we supplement with starfall, and I was a little skeptical but honestly, after about 3-4 weeks of starfall she's really hitting a groove with phonics. Basically we quit doing k12 during that time (for a couple weeks) -- just logged starfall time as phonics time and didn't do any assessments. And I gave her unlimited time on starfall, which for my two kiddos is pretty much 'crack for kids.' She'd probably put in 3-4 hours a day on starfall if I let her. Anyway, we pulled out the phonics again and just did assessments (I'd whip through it and look for information that I knew she hadn't seen via Starfall and cover that quickly). We have cruised through assessments - we were nearly a month behind in phonics and we are caught up now.

Talk to your coordinating teacher and see what she says - basically tell her what you plan to try and then see if it works. If it works for you like it worked for us, you'll probably find she's back on track quickly and you'll be all caught up again.

Otherwise, earlier in the thread I know there were some suggestions of good paid phonics programs that you could look into too if you want ....?

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Thing is, Lydia HATES starfall. I have a few CD computer games that are pretty specific for reading, and since dh's computer isn't online right now (still gotta work out those bugs) I'm thinking I may load those onto his computer and turn her loose on them daily. I'm grasping, she isn't too fond of starfall at all for some reason and that was my instinct. I'm considering going to to local library and getting a copy of 100 EZ Lessons to work through a few lessons with her so we can springboard a bit.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM

We don't use the K12 phonics at all. They are too boring and repetitive IMO, and my son didn't like it at all. We use Reading Eggs about 85% of the time and Starfall the other. Then we just do assessments as we go, we do about one assessment every other day or so. Reading Eggs works so good for our family, my son is picking up reading much quicker from that program than from K12 or even Starfall.

I like the flexibility of being able to use a different program, the only requirement my "teacher" has is that he can pass the assessments. How we get there is up to us

One vote for Reading Eggs here!

I'm a and we are
Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Thing is, Lydia HATES starfall. I have a few CD computer games that are pretty specific for reading, and since dh's computer isn't online right now (still gotta work out those bugs) I'm thinking I may load those onto his computer and turn her loose on them daily. I'm grasping, she isn't too fond of starfall at all for some reason and that was my instinct. I'm considering going to to local library and getting a copy of 100 EZ Lessons to work through a few lessons with her so we can springboard a bit.
I've heard really good things about the 100 EZ lessons. Let us know how you like it once you try it! I've been thinking about using it as supplemental material and to give him a change of pace, so he doesn't get bored with what we are already using.

I'm a and we are
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I've heard really good things about the 100 EZ lessons. Let us know how you like it once you try it! I've been thinking about using it as supplemental material and to give him a change of pace, so he doesn't get bored with what we are already using.
Oh I can already tell you how much I hate 100 EZS Lessons lol I did the first 7 lessons of it with my oldest dd to get her started sounding out words, then got tired of it so we tossed it aside. Its effective, but dang I hate it. Melissa hated it too, every time I pulled that book down she'd run and try to hide under the sofa or anything that she could squish herself under. I was more than happy to get rid of that one, I gave my copy to another hs'er who was looking for it to try very happily and willingly. Lydia did 14 lessons in the time it took Melissa to do those 7 she did, so I know it will work with her if I can just get her started again and I can get past my own hatred of that particular method. Yeah, its not a favorite in this house, its barely tolerated by me and not at all tolerated by at least one of my children. lol

I found the Stairway To Reading program to be a better fit for Melissa actually. If I can find my link to it, I'll share it. Its totally free and she had a blast doing some of the lessons that we've done, its how I undid most of the damage that our local ps did the second half of last school year.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 PM

Hi mamas,

I am hoping I can get some advice from you about the k12 program. I have been using it since the middle of september with my kids and I am getting fairly frustrated with it. August is in 3rd grade, Brandon in 2nd grade and Savannah in Kinder. I am honestly feeling incredibly overwhelmed. All 3 of them need me to sit and do work with them and it is just taking forever to get everyone done for the day. What are you guys doing that have 3 or more kids enrolled in k12, what does your schedule look like and if you have a toddler (mine just turned 2) what do you do to keep him entertained, I am running out of ideas?

Also, my 3rd grader is struggling so much with pretty much every subject. I brough this up with our "teacher" and according to her, because he scored on target for his scantron testing, they can't hold him back (which is what my request was). I had to laugh, because August told me that the test was really hard and he guessed on almost every single question! Talk about pure luck of guessing enough correct answers to score on target!

Because August is having so much trouble with pretty much every subject, I fell behind with him....and a tiny bit with the other two as well. Because of that, the boys were put on a contract, saying they had to complete "x" amount of lessons per week. Fine, we can do that. Still doesn't help me with my stuggling student though. (We got caught back up in a week and Brandon is ahead in a few subjects, so why we needed the contract is beyond me). When I bring up that fact that I don't feel like I am getting any help with August, she assigns us more elluminate classes. Between those, the regular work, study island, I just feel like "Oh, your kid is struggling...well, here is more work for him" and that is not what he needs. He honestly needs to go down a grade, but they won't do that. Any ideas on how I can help August?

The music program is such a waste, lol. I did the first two lessons and have not done them since. Those of you who were able to get out of doing the music portion, how did you do that? The kids don't care for it either, they keep saying it's pretty lame, lol.

My kinder is blowing through just about everything...math and phonics are really easy for her. She is enjoying it and asks for more work each day, and my 2nd grader is doing good too, so my main concern is my 3rd grader.

Tia!
Gina

(btw Cat.....were you ever on the Large family board on babycenter? I think I recongize you from there. I was only on the large family board for about a year before it was switched over to the new format and I luckily made a good friend from there that I still talk to! Anyways, I was just wondering!)
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 PM

Have you thought about going over your teacher's head? Calling CAVA directly and saying - "This is our problem, my teacher isn't helping, we need to figure this out" and not getting off the phone until you get some answers that satisfy you? Say, "this is what the teacher offered. That is not acceptable or helpful. This is what I need from you."

As far as the music goes, I never got permission to opt out - I just stopped doing it and kept marking off the lessons. When I complained to my kids' teacher about how much dd hated it, that's basically what she told me to do, without actually telling me . This year both kids are in foreign language, and that's going better.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromero View Post
<snip>
and if you have a toddler (mine just turned 2) what do you do to keep him entertained, I am running out of ideas?
<snip>
I only have one (K), but my (barely) three year old was a BEAST at first. We ordered some Funtastic frogs counters, and a set of pattern cards to go with them. SJ loves them, and is actually learning a lot from them in terms of size, color, pattern etc. Unfortunately, Ina loves them too. But, the rule is that they can only be played with during school. SJ will show me what she's done and I can see from where I'm helping Ina. Also, coloring books have been helpful. If you have some big busy picture books (like Richard Scary) that she likes, you can offer those to her to look at. Language can be with your K and your two year old both (sometimes, if the story isn't so long), and I usually have SJ do an art project at the same time that Ina is doing her art project.

Sorry I don't have advice about multiple kiddos doing the k12 stuff at the same time, I've often wondered how that would work (since at some point we're going to have multiple kiddos doing school at the same time). I do think that one solution is to follow their advice and not do all the busywork for each lesson - when kids have demonstrated that they grasp the concept, then do the assessment and move on to the next lesson on your schedule. I felt bad about doing this at first, but really all it is, is busy work once your child understands what's going on - time to move on and start something else then.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Oh I can already tell you how much I hate 100 EZS Lessons lol
I didn't read ahead, so I apologize if you already wrote something about this, but does it seem boring and repetitive? Is it more or less like the K12 phonics curriculum?

I'm a and we are
Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:

The music program is such a waste, lol. I did the first two lessons and have not done them since. Those of you who were able to get out of doing the music portion, how did you do that? The kids don't care for it either, they keep saying it's pretty lame, lol.
For our area, music is not a requirement for K, and I asked if it would be a requirement next year for 1st and the teacher said no. Hmm. I don't know if she is the one to ask, but according to her, music isn't a requirement (neither is art) until middle school. I don't know if that is true or not though, but even she acknowledged that the music curriculum kind of sucked!

I hope you get the advice on here that you are looking for. I am only schooling one, I don't know how you do it with three plus a toddler. Props to you!

I'm a and we are
Old 10-29-2009, 03:46 AM

gromero~

A thought for you - I've heard it said that with CAVA, if you have students that are close in grade level, you can put both students in the same grade level for the elective classes (science/history/art/music). This might be a way to get some "easier" work for your 3rd grader and save some time by doubling up on those subjects and teaching both kids.

Also, you might want to join the CAVA yahoo group, if you haven't yet http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAVA-K12/ It's supposed to be parents only, but one of the mods (Barb) is both a CAVA parent and a CAVA teacher - she has been really helpful to me when I've had questions about what really is and is not possible/required with CAVA. She might be a good person to ask about how to get your child placed appropriately.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
gromero~

A thought for you - I've heard it said that with CAVA, if you have students that are close in grade level, you can put both students in the same grade level for the elective classes (science/history/art/music). This might be a way to get some "easier" work for your 3rd grader and save some time by doubling up on those subjects and teaching both kids.

Also, you might want to join the CAVA yahoo group, if you haven't yet http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAVA-K12/ It's supposed to be parents only, but one of the mods (Barb) is both a CAVA parent and a CAVA teacher - she has been really helpful to me when I've had questions about what really is and is not possible/required with CAVA. She might be a good person to ask about how to get your child placed appropriately.
Both of those are really helpful, THANK YOU!!

Today was supposed to be our F2F meeting, but I've got two kids that have fevers, so I'm not going to be going anywhere for the next couple of days at least. I couldn't get ahold of her this morning, so I sent her an email, I hope that is sufficiant.

Has anyone else had their F2F meeting? What do you do during those?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Well, life is crazy busy around here (as in I haven't updated a blog in who knows how long) but I think things are going well. Bean's working well, and BooBah's finally broken her block about phonics and is making progress. I think Bella may have had something to do with that, so I'm not quite sure what my take should be yet, but for the moment it's working well for BooBah. I have had to separate the two of them, because Bella will hog all the work and BooBah will happily turn somersaults instead of participating if I don't.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

BoohBah and Bella's take on the phonics is almost exactly what my three and K kids are doing. SJ would do it for HOURS - I think because she likes it but also because it's a 'sister' thing.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 PM

What is an F2F meeting?

I'm a and we are
Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
What is an F2F meeting?
Face to Face meeting....the way she explained it is we meet once quartly, where I have to bring in examples of their work in each subject and theri pe log.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 PM

At the F2F's I've had, we've turned things in, signed papers (like the PE log), sometimes she'll do a quick assessment (particularly if they're about to move up to a new class in a subjects), she asks if they need any extra help, makes a few suggestions, and that's about it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, a PE log -- we don't have to keep that. I guess it's on our 'honor.' I don't know how many F2Fs we'll have here in WY - they're planning some field trips etc. and teacher says she hopes she'll meet us at those. I think the distance across the state makes F2Fs less possible here.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I am hoping I can get some advice from you about the k12 program.
Gina,
My son is in 3rd grade and we started in early October - I was overwhelmed with JUST ONE, so I really feel for you! I am learning where I can drop lessons or activities and it's easing up.

You really only have to show work a few times a year to prove you're doing the exact curriculum, so you have some flexibility and the ability to combine your 2nd and 3rd graders.

I would take a big step back and have just one child complete work for a day or two with you in each subject and then move on to the next child. When it's that child's day, watch for things you can change or cut.

I noticed that some of the lessons just drag ON and ON with different activities and my 3rd grader was so bored. I started allowing him to verbally tell me answers to questions instead of writing them ALL down.

There are things they could do at the same time with their siblings (like spelling... you could call out a word to kid #1, then a word to kid #2 and then kid #3, and they only have to wait a few seconds extra).

For art I would only cover the art history stuff as needed for each lesson, then choose a project for them ALL to do together either from a lesson or from your own ideas. Rotate the different skills they're using like sculpting, drawing, painting, crafting, etc..

Have them all do literature together by reading silently and answering questions silently. Then you can all discuss together perhaps. I don't think they absolutely HAVE to all read a separate book. The 2nd and 3rd could possibly share the same lessons and, in fact, they could take turns reading out loud, so maybe it covers the Kinder kid.

I've been cutting out a lot of little things. I don't do handwriting every day and i skip a few assignments in some lessons. If they know the spelling words well enough to pass, I would skip lessons 1-4 and assess them out, mark the assignments as done. Sme with math.

This may sound crazy, but could they do 2 science lessons more quickly TOGETHER with you than having you struggle between them to do two separately? I know you said one child was struggling though.

Do you have a partner who could work with one of the kids in the evening and/or could someone do weekends to knock out several lessons? Like maybe your Kinder kid does bare minimum during the day/week and does most on the weekends?? Then just space the stuff out when marking it off in the progress and attendance during the week.

Next year you will have a few more things they can do independently and each yr works towards more independent work.

I quit that music curiculum too. We're doing a free piano course online from Piano Nanny and he's joining a kids chorus in January. That's good enough.

I hear you about the toddler. Mine's turning two Nov 15th and he's been a nightmare since we started!!! my mild mannered toddler turned into a beast

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 10-30-2009, 05:49 AM

I figured out if we keep a stack of fresh library books on tons of subjects in the middle of the table, my son will grab one in between lessons and do an impromptu reading/discussion alone or with me. Then he seems refreshed and will easily transition into another lesson. So far there's less resistence and more happiness. Keep your fingers crossed!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 10-30-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

So - Ina woke us up three hours early today. She snuggled with us in bed and flopped around for 1 1/2 hours before we all just got up. When I asked her why she woke so early, she said, "I wanted to get up and do phonics."

!!

Something I would not have anticipated her wanting to do, even two weeks ago. We've hit the point where we're blending words together and now she really gets it and wants to keep going. I think the days of dh and me spelling things to each other are almost over.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
Gina,
My son is in 3rd grade and we started in early October - I was overwhelmed with JUST ONE, so I really feel for you! I am learning where I can drop lessons or activities and it's easing up.

You really only have to show work a few times a year to prove you're doing the exact curriculum, so you have some flexibility and the ability to combine your 2nd and 3rd graders.

I would take a big step back and have just one child complete work for a day or two with you in each subject and then move on to the next child. When it's that child's day, watch for things you can change or cut.

I noticed that some of the lessons just drag ON and ON with different activities and my 3rd grader was so bored. I started allowing him to verbally tell me answers to questions instead of writing them ALL down.

There are things they could do at the same time with their siblings (like spelling... you could call out a word to kid #1, then a word to kid #2 and then kid #3, and they only have to wait a few seconds extra).

For art I would only cover the art history stuff as needed for each lesson, then choose a project for them ALL to do together either from a lesson or from your own ideas. Rotate the different skills they're using like sculpting, drawing, painting, crafting, etc..

Have them all do literature together by reading silently and answering questions silently. Then you can all discuss together perhaps. I don't think they absolutely HAVE to all read a separate book. The 2nd and 3rd could possibly share the same lessons and, in fact, they could take turns reading out loud, so maybe it covers the Kinder kid.

I've been cutting out a lot of little things. I don't do handwriting every day and i skip a few assignments in some lessons. If they know the spelling words well enough to pass, I would skip lessons 1-4 and assess them out, mark the assignments as done. Sme with math.

This may sound crazy, but could they do 2 science lessons more quickly TOGETHER with you than having you struggle between them to do two separately? I know you said one child was struggling though.

Do you have a partner who could work with one of the kids in the evening and/or could someone do weekends to knock out several lessons? Like maybe your Kinder kid does bare minimum during the day/week and does most on the weekends?? Then just space the stuff out when marking it off in the progress and attendance during the week.

Next year you will have a few more things they can do independently and each yr works towards more independent work.

I quit that music curiculum too. We're doing a free piano course online from Piano Nanny and he's joining a kids chorus in January. That's good enough.

I hear you about the toddler. Mine's turning two Nov 15th and he's been a nightmare since we started!!! my mild mannered toddler turned into a beast

Thank you for that! Yes...I can do the boys science together!!! Just reading what you wrote and realizing how I can change things around (even though I knew I could, I was so overwhelmed, I just couldn't figure it out, kwim?) makes if it feel like I can actually do this!

My daughter who is in kinder is a night owl by nature and looooves to sleep in. I am finding if I start her work around 7ish she does really well, then because she was up later then her brothers, she sleeps in until 9 or 10 in the morning, which gives me a few hours to work with her brothers.

Luckily, dh works nights, so he is home in the mornings to help me out, especially with the baby or one of the boys if need be.

Thank you mamas!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:09 PM

Gromero (and others with multiple kids!) This should help with the science courses:

K-6 Science Content Themes across the Curriculum

In looking at the K12 Curriculum for grades K through 6, you can see some recurring “themes” or big ideas. In an attempt to help you coordinate those themes into your teaching, we’ve developed this simple listing.

Use this guide to help you coordinate your science teaching in a multi-child family. Just keep in mind a few items:
•We’ve listed Animals, Chemistry/Matter, Classification, Earth/Fossils, Forces/Energy/Machines, Habitats/Ecosystems/Conservation, Human Body/Senses, Light, Methods/Measurement, Oceans, Plants, Rocks/Soil/Weathering, Solar System and Weather as the major themes or big ideas in the K12 Science, but it certainly is not complete. Use this as a starting point to see overlapping themes..
•Use this to help teach the same theme to more than one child but still use the age-appropriate lesson and assessment for each child.
•Siblings may sit in on the lesson for enrichment.
•This can be a great resource for planning library trips and using supplemental materials.
•You may see a unit listed under more than one theme because of content.
•In some cases if you rearrange the order of the science lessons there may be some earlier concepts that your child will not have had. You will need to fill in those knowledge gaps until you come back to those lessons.
•If there is not a unit listed for a particular grade level under one of the major themes, it may still be covered in individual lessons for that grade level,, but we were aiming to highlight units in this document.

Animals
K:Unit 3: Introduction to Living Things, Unit 5: Animals, Unit 6: Where Animals Live
1:Unit 4: Animal ClassificationUnit 5, Adaptations
2:Unit 10: Circle of Life - Animals
3:Unit 2: Classification of Vertebrates
4:Unit 1: Ecosystems, Unit 2: Plant and Animal Interactions, Unit 6: Classification of Invertebrates
5:Unit 7: Taxonomy of Plants and Animals, Unit 8 Animal Physiology
Earth Science* (ES):

Chemistry/Matter
K:Unit 8: Matter
1:Unit 2: Matterland
2:
3:Unit 5: Properties of Matter,
Unit 6: Physical and Chemical Changes of Matter
4:Unit 3: Chemistry of Solutions
5:Unit 5: Chemistry
ES:

Classification