Does anyone home-school AND have a job? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2009, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you do both? Is it possible? How do YOU do it?

Mom    wash.gif  bikenew.gifgeek.gifdishes.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 AM

Yes.

I am a librarian, and to be honest that aides our homeschooling. My husband is a college student who currently takes night classes (by his own choosing.) Because of this, we are able to share homeschooling lessons/ time with our children. We have also considered when we are both working and have decided that we will need a sitter/ helper if our youngest is under 8. By 8, our oldest would be 10 and I would feel they have matured enough to have them in the library with me at work.

However a variety of working parents have been able to homeschool their children. There's even a Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WORKandHOMESCHOOL/
Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 AM

I do, but I have an unusual job... I teach on-line courses, and that allows me to work when the kids are asleep, on weekends when DH is home, and whenever I have a few minutes during the weekdays.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Midwifery and doula stuff. So sort of. I work about 30 hours a week but much of it is at night. It helps that I have supportive babysitters who will help with the homeschooling stuff.

Homeschooling, midwifery mom to 4 beautiful blessings(8,6,4,1)

Old 09-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Interesting, because I considered homeschooling this year ... I have a job working weekends, 12 hr shifts. I think homeschooling would be totally doable with this type of work situation, but we decided not to do it this year for other reasons.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 09-03-2009, 01:07 PM

I have a part-time job. About 10 hours a week I get to do from home. Some of that is when the kids are sleeping, some of it is first thing in the morning after breakfast while they just play freely together while I work. The other 7-10 hours a week is physically in a toy store or traveling to the special events for that store (usually on weekends or evenings). I'm very fortunate that my boss is supportive of homeschooling and understands that I have no sitters available; she let's me schedule the events, etc. to attend around when my DH will be home. She will let me bring the kids with me to the store, too, in a pinch, for a couple of hours. My DH usually leaves at 7:00 in the morning and isn't home until after 6:00 pm, so the majority of the "teaching" is up to me. So, yes, it's doable, but I think it requires a flexible job.

"We think we're gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away." Paul Simon
DD-7 & B-G twins, 5
Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I homeschool and work 20 hours a week (5 evenings 6-10pm). Academics takes about 2hrs in the mornings. Field trips and homeschool group classes are in the early afternoons. Sports and other activities are late afternoons and weekends. Dh and I switch off for those few hours. It's perfect for us.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
Old 09-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Well, DH is a SAHD and I work full-time as a telecommuter for a high-tech company. So, he does the day-to-day stuff. But, I do all the prep and planning. We're basically eclectic homeschoolers so don't stick to actual curriculums. But, I still prepare activities and options for them. I do it in the evenings.

Holli
Old 09-03-2009, 03:45 PM

My husband and I both work full time. We do not believe that school can only happen between 7:30 am and 4 pm. We school when we get home, and during weekends. We do not follow a tight curriculum and are really out of the house most of the time. We do some structured things but not really that many.

I asked myself if we would be able to do it with both of us working (and mike going to school at night by the way) and we can.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 09-03-2009, 05:38 PM

I am about to start doing this. I work full time (school schedule) and will be using FIAR for DD. DH is home with her (he's a writer) but I will do the bulk of the homeschooling.

I am hoping to be home f/t by K - at the latest, 1st, however.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm a student, and unavailable for homeschooling 20-30 hours a week. Hopefully I'll be a working homeschooling parent within a year

My husband works from home, and provides most of the child supervision, along with a lot of the housework. I do most of the actual planning and teaching, but we're working on getting things set up in a more organized manner so that he can more easily do lessons here and there.

Homeschooling works well for us because I can concentrate the teaching on days and times when I don't have school. If he were in normal school, there would be days when I just wouldn't be available for helping with homework and so forth. I wouldn't say it's an ideal situation though, and I look forward to having a job so that we aren't relying on my husband's income. He'll continue to work after I have a job because he enjoys what he does, but hopefully it will reduce the pressure some.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:07 PM

I also work part-time. I used to teach piano, just a dozen or so students, it was just a few nights each week. I would have done more except I had to get DS to a bunch of activities when DH wasn't available to take him due to a killer commute.

Since moving last year, I've taken a break from teaching piano. I'm now the director of a community band, so that's rehearsal one night a week plus prep time. I do freelance piano stuff (like weddings, accompanying soloists for festivals and exams, etc), so there's like 2 weeks in May where we will do NO school heh, I'm just 24/7 running around for the music festival. And I might be taking on a church organist position, that's another night each week and sunday mornings.

That's still more than enough time for "school" stuff.

Really, it's just about having the right kind of schedule and the right attitude... and also, I'd ask things like "how do you have a job and keep your house clean?" If you can do that, then you can work and homeschool too. Do you have time to work and help your kids with their public school homework and take them to soccer practice and piano lessons and scouts? Then you have time to homeschool instead. It doesn't take 8am-3pm to do homeschool lessons.

The only real legitimate issue, IMO, is daycare for the kids if you and your spouse both work at the same time. DH and I have always been able to manage that my work hours are his off hours. But when that doesn't work -- like during music festival heh -- and it's not something I can bring the kids along to, then I do have family I can leave my kids with.

So it's a matter of either scheduling hours to not overlap, or arranging childcare/visits/etc with friends or family. Some homeschoolers develop partnerships with other homeschoolers with different work schedules, looking after each others' kids when needed.

Some HS families work purely at home as well, which often means being very flexible -- work doesn't have to be at any particular time each day. Kids can help with filing or organization or answering phone calls if they're old enough, etc -- which is a great lesson for them as well!

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 09-03-2009, 06:24 PM

I agree with the PP who said schooling does not only happen during traditional public school hours!

I am homeschooling and working again, after being home almost full time for a while. There have been times when I worked a 40+ hour week and HSed. DS1 is now 16yo and doing dual enrollment (in the form of online college classes which I give him high school credit for as well-- if he minds his Ps and Qs!). I have 2 other homeschooled children as well. The usual plan was I present the lessons (alpha omega life pacs usually, but have used others and my own) in the evening, and let the sitter, aunt, dad, or whoever they will be with during my work "proctor" them doing homework. Works great for us, but no two homeschools look exactly alike, so find what works for you and yours, and enjoy them while they are small!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

I work!

I am a freelance writer with a two year old I homeschool/unschool

I actually have a nanny that comes a few hours a week to help out, and she's got a specialty in film and art so she does a lot of crafts with DD, they go on nature walks, and she gets to be around someone else who's just as into her as me.

To me, this is learning. She's socializing, and getting to hang with someone that's young, fun and creative. I also love the little break I get to work on my writing which is a life saver.

I don't work full time by any means, and the rest of the time we do circle times, nature walks, swim, and hang out baking and doing crafts. She's learning everyday and I agree with what someone else says: home school when you can, it doesn't need to be during "school hours.."

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM

I'm a freelance writer and have my own online mag. I keep Fridays open to do interviews (and errands) and also do the rest of my interviews when my husband is home and can bring the kids to the park.

I'd like to take on more work, but I have to be honest with myself what I can do...so maybe more in a few years....

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Yup part time waitress here
I leave at 4 and DH comes home at 4. If I pick up extra shifts I get a sitter for an hour or so.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 PM

:

This is a question I wanted to ask. We're really interested in home schooling but are unsure how to do it with both of us working FT outside the home.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 AM

I don't currently work outside the home, but I have had part time jobs all throughout the last few years of homeschooling.

I'm going to start school in the evenings soon and don't anticipate it being a problem. We unschool though so 'school' happens all the time with us.

blogging.jpg 
Old 09-04-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samy23 View Post
How do you do both? Is it possible? How do YOU do it?
Very doable Just be flexible and figure out what type of schedule would work for you. We typically think of Sat-Wed as our school week and we do a mix of mornings, afternoons and evenings. Between us we have 2 FT jobs and a PT job, plus some volunteering - it sounds complicated but it isn't. The only difficulty we have had is in finding daycare for school-aged children during school hours.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Yes. I work from home and have done so for 11 years.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 09-04-2009, 01:26 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
We plan to. DH and I both work full time (he is away most of the week for work and comes home on the weekends). I have a flexible job, so I can basically make my own hours, as long as I get the work done. I plan to have a nanny watch DS while I am at work - probably two full days and a few mornings a week. DH also stays home one day a week, so that helps.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:49 PM

It's not a predictable income amount, but I have six PT jobs (some very PT -- only once a month -- and some I could do every day if I want) and I'm homeschooling. Honestly, if we didn't need the extra money right now, I wouldn't be doing quite so much, but I've held a PT job in some form, with varying hours, ever since DD was born.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 PM

I do part time also. Only 28 hrs per wk. Evenings and Saturdays..every other Sunday. It gets kinda tiring at times, but I like to have a lil spending money to treat the kids to outings and pay for extras..
Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 AM

When I first made plans for homeschooling, I was working about 15 hours a week, about 1/2 that on the weekends when DH is here. All fine and well.

Now that we're actually homeschooling, though, I got a couple big freelance projects and am working more like 30 hours a week. I've managed so far, though to do work one full weekend day, 3-4 afternoons a week, and lots of work after the kids are in bed. I homeschool 3 mornings a week and have the sitter all day. In the morning, she entertains DS/takes him to the playground (which I hate doing... a la that thread in TAO about Mom things you hate to do) while I homeschool DD. In the afternoon, she entertains both kids and I go to the office. This is a bit rough a schedule, though, so while we're on a homeschool break, I'm trying to sort of clear the decks workwise and push back or outsource a work project or two to get it more like 20-25 hours a week.

DH is a supportive husband and a great dad, but he's not involved in the homeschooling beyond the fact that everything DD does involves learning in some way.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post

However a variety of working parents have been able to homeschool their children. There's even a Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WORKandHOMESCHOOL/
Thanks for the link to the Yahoo group. Off to check it out now.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:10 AM

Yep. We wait tables and there are 3 adults in the house so the kids don't ever have to leave home to go to a babysitter's or daycare. Also, since we work at night, we can get out and do things during the day if we want.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:16 PM

I work 32 hours and homeschool a 2nd and pre-kish/k. It is a lot of work but doable. It helps as far as groups and trips that my hours are evenings/weekend.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:10 PM

Just the thread I came looking for! DD is in 1st grade and is miserable. She's gifted, and has a lot of difficulties with the regiment of public school structure (as do I!).

I had always wanted to homeschool her, but I had let go of that dream since dh and I both work. But her frustrations with school - and mine - are mounting and I really want to pull her out ASAP.

Sounds like it's really just a matter of finding daycare, or another homeschooling family who can help share the job?

I work roughly 7:30-3:30, so I suppose I could spend an hour or so each night doing academic stuff (or setting it up for whoever does daycare), with other types of "schooling" like gardening, cleaning, pet care, shopping, exploring, playing happening just as they do now...?

I am getting more and more excited about this. I really want to find a way to make it work!

(Hi Jess!)

User Tag List