The actual process of pulling a child out of school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading a lot about homeschooling and I think I'm ready to work on a plan to pull dd out of public school.

My question is - what's the usual order of events? (Or perhaps it varies greatly depending on the state?)

Once I submit a letter of intent and ed plan to the superintendent, can I stop sending her to school? Or do I need to wait for official approval? From what I've researched online it looks like I can just start homeschooling once I submit my paperwork...?
#2 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM

From what I understand you are correct. Once all the paperwork has been submitted you are free to remove your child.
Have fun!:

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#3 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
Once I submit a letter of intent and ed plan to the superintendent, can I stop sending her to school? Or do I need to wait for official approval? From what I've researched online it looks like I can just start homeschooling once I submit my paperwork...?
Probably - but each state has its own specific laws, so I'd definitely check those. You can find yours on this page: Homeschool Laws & Legalities - look over in the left hand column for your state's name. Then, at the bottom of the page on its legalities, you can click to a link that goes to a lot more information about homeschooling in that state beyond just the legalities - articles, events, groups, etc. - Lillian
#4 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 04:06 PM

You can also go to the Massachusetts Home Learning Association's website (if the location you listed is still correct) because as Lillian pointed out things do vary widely from state to state.
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
You can also go to the Massachusetts Home Learning Association's website (if the location you listed is still correct) because as Lillian pointed out things do vary widely from state to state.
Oh - duh. I hadn't noticed the Massachusetts location listed under Kamilla's name! Interestingly enough, that's the same resource the one I gave links to for legalities info, whereas it ordinarily links to several. And after you check there, you can find out more about Massachusetts homeschooling on this page. - Lillian

#6 of 7 Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 AM

Hi, I agree about checking out the websites, or even calling your superintendent's office to double check, unless you sent the letter of intent by certified mail? I think if you did and received the receipt that they got it, you should be ok.

I am in eastern MA and did this over the summer, I got the receipt back first and then received the approval letter from the superintendent a week or so later

I still got a phone call the other day that ds was absent lol (they started school last week)
I called the school and explained and they said ok no problem, they'd make a note [they just aren't organized yet, basically]

Good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 09-07-2009, 06:17 PM

pp are right, you will have to check with your state. for me, i put the letter in the mail on Monday, and sent DD to school to drop off her library books, and get the money out of her lunch account. i picked her up on Monday afternoon, and she has not been back. Tuesday morning i called the school, just to let them know that she would not be back, and that her letter was on its way to the central office! it was easy and fast, and we start class tomorrow! im so excited, and so is DD!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page