Horizons vs. Singapore Math for K-1 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-24-2009, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have been doing our own thing for homeschooling this and previous years. I am wanting to get either Horizons or Singapore math but am having trouble deciding. I hear that if you want to use Singapore in the future (we do) that you should start it early since the concept is very different. We are at the Kindergarten-Grade 1 level.

Which do you like best and why?

Tabitha happily married to Steven - Mama to 4 little ones and another on the way!
#2 of 25 Old 09-24-2009, 05:27 PM

I looked at a lot of different things for math, and honestly did not find anything for K, early 1st, that I thought was much more than busywork. It just all looked to me like the stuff that little kids simply pick up, if they don't already know it.

That said, we started with Singapore Math 1B, when dd1 was about 1st grade age. We've stayed with Singapore Math since then, now on book 3A. We both like it. No trouble at all starting with 1B instead of K books and even 1A. Fwiw, I've found the Textbooks to be more than enough practice, and don't bother with the additional workbooks. There were some concepts early on that seemed to give her a little trouble, and in those cases, I assumed it was a matter of maturity, and we just went back to later, after several weeks or months, and then she caught on with little effort.
#3 of 25 Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM

We are using SM Earlybird K right now. I like it. The Level A book is pretty easy - probably more of a 4 year old level. The Level B is more on a K level. I've heard the SM 1A is completely different than EB. We plan on using the Standards version as it has more concepts and is suppose to be more challenging than US.

Right now, we are flying through Level A and I can't imagine Level B lasting much past the beginning of the year. So I've been looking something as a "filler" before we start SM 1A since dd is young and can't write yet (I don't want her doing 1st grade math and not writing). I selected Horizons K as our filler. I haven't ordered it yet but based on reviews and questions I've asked on other forums, I believe it will be a good solid program to do. It's suppose to be "advanced" beyond SM EB - which is what I'm looking for. It's colorful and teaches concept spirally but it's easy to skip the "repeat" stuff if you dc "gets" it.

I DO supplement (currently) with Critical Thinking Company's Math Reasoning Level A and plan on supplementing with this while using Horizons.

HTH!
#4 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 02:02 AM

I haven't looked at Horizons. We use Singapore, and it works very well for my kids. My 5 year old dd is doing Earlybird A right now. She has done other math workbooks, so Earlybird is still review. That's fine with me! She loves doing her math pages.

My ds is working in 2B right now.
#5 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 07:27 PM

For those of you who have used Singapore EB Math do you think it would be okay to use with a 4 year old? She is pretty bright but just beginning to learn to write. Or would it be better to start next year? Not to hijack the thread, sorry.

Kristin

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#6 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin0105 View Post
For those of you who have used Singapore EB Math do you think it would be okay to use with a 4 year old? She is pretty bright but just beginning to learn to write. Or would it be better to start next year? Not to hijack the thread, sorry.

Kristin
Definitely now, don't wait! I think EB A is meant for 4 year olds and EB B is meant for 5 year olds. My very bright 3 year old is doing EB A and flying through it! I can't imagine EB B taking us to the end of the year. I also supplement with Critical Thinking Company's Math Reasoning Level A. This is where she gets brand new concepts while the EB is pretty much review and "newer" (but not brand new) concepts. We do a few pages in CT after completing a unit in EB.

And you don't need the teacher's manuals, there are "development ideas" at the bottom of each page in the textbook.

And my dd doesn't write very much and it works fine.

HTH!
#7 of 25 Old 09-25-2009, 08:23 PM

I am using both (Singapore and Horizons) for my Kindergartner (as well as Saxon). I read a long review somewhere that suggested Singapore should be used in conjunction with Saxon due to the fact that Singapore offers much less repetition and practice. I love the way Singapore teaches my children to think things through (I"m using it with my Second grader as well), but I also like the practice and repetition that Saxon and Horizons offer. So I use them all, and I find it to be wonderful for my children. My kindergartner completes a lesson in Horizons K, a lesson in Saxon 1, and a lesson in Singapore 1A each day. She is learning tons and she gets it all done in under an hour. (I am a firm believer that in the early school years the biggest focus should be math and reading, so I don't think 45 minutes a day for math is excessive). My oldest also does Saxon and Singapore and I am so pleased to see how combining the two has helped her learn so much.

As for Horizons, I'm a big fan! Their reading and phonics is fabulous and their math is terrific. The Kindergarten curriculum goes deeper into telling time and counting money than Saxon 1 does, so my youngest is far ahead of where my oldest was at the same age.

Good luck in your decision and Happy Home Schooling!
#8 of 25 Old 09-26-2009, 12:43 AM

We haven't used Horizons, but we are using Singapore 1A (and Miquon) for 1st Grade. We do about 1-3 pages every other day on average, and it seems like she's going through it really fast.

We use both the textbook and the workbook-we read the textbook pages on the section when we begin a new concept, and then do the workbook pages until we start another section. On days that we don't do workbook pages, we make up word problems with manipulatives that go along with whatever section we're on in the workbook.

I like how straight and to the point Singapore math is; it's very clear and easy for her to understand. She prefers her Singapore workbook over the Miquon. I also like that, even in 1A, SM is introducing concepts in ways that I haven't seen in generic work books, like "number bonds"---showing the quality of numbers, addition, and subtraction all in a really simple diagram.

So far, nothing has been too difficult for her....we're just going to keep switching back and forth between Singapore and Miquon as she needs/allows....

Good luck finding the right fit for your family!

For my two cents, I can't say enough good things about Singapore Math (so far) and hope it works for us all the way through.

Happy and in love with my family!
#9 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 12:05 AM

Singapore Earlybird A would probably be gentle enough with an interested 4 year old.

I'm using EB A-B and 1A-B with my kinder and first graders - the programs are definitely different! Friends of mine tell me that Earlybird is a GREAT kindergarten math program no matter what you go on to use later.

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#10 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 AM

Just echoing that yes- Earlybird A is meant for 4 year old and B is meant for 5 year olds. If you pick Singapore I hope you enjoy it- we are!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#11 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
My kids jumped into Singapore Primary at the 2A or 2B level without much in the way of formal math (a bit of unstructured Miquon and a lot of games). I don't think it's at all necessary to do all the previous Singapore programs and levels just because you're going to use it later. If you jump into Singapore Primary mid-stream I'd just make sure you go back as far as 3A in order to get introduced to the pre-algebraic bar diagram problem solving method.

We love Singapore Primary. My three oldest are Singapore "grads" and my youngest is already almost halfway through the program. Where does the time go?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#12 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 PM

We jumped into Singapore at 3A without any problems whatsoever. In fact, I purchased it used and my dd wanted to look at it on the long drive home. I was planning on starting it later thinking it was a little too advanced. She found a pen in the back seat and did about 10 work book pages by the time we got home, so we started right away. LOL!

It is a great curriculum, very strong on problem solving skills.
#13 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 04:54 PM

We haven't used Singapore or even seen it IRL, but I can say that we love Horizons. Its concepts are presented in a simple and clear way. DD loves it and begs to do one more page. I say any curriculum that does that for my kiddo is a keeper.

Good luck with your choice!

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#14 of 25 Old 09-29-2009, 11:11 PM

We've used singapore for three years and very happy with it. We wouldn't use horizons because of the religious content (even in the math program).
#15 of 25 Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermommy View Post
We have been doing our own thing for homeschooling this and previous years. I am wanting to get either Horizons or Singapore math but am having trouble deciding. I hear that if you want to use Singapore in the future (we do) that you should start it early since the concept is very different. We are at the Kindergarten-Grade 1 level.

Which do you like best and why?
Hey - which did you pick??
#16 of 25 Old 11-29-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we haven't purchased it yet, but we're planning on Signapore and maybe a little bit of CLE math since that's the curriculum we'll most likely be using. However, I didn't see the post about Horizons being religious which is something that would've been nice. But with having CLE as our main studies, I don't think it'll be much of an issue.

I tested DD with the Signapore math placement tests and she was past the EB ones so we decided to wait until the beginning of the year to start Signapore. We're pretty excited!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Tabitha happily married to Steven - Mama to 4 little ones and another on the way!
#17 of 25 Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM

subbing

to come back and read AND to see what else others post

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#18 of 25 Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmie View Post
I am using both (Singapore and Horizons) for my Kindergartner (as well as Saxon). I read a long review somewhere that suggested Singapore should be used in conjunction with Saxon due to the fact that Singapore offers much less repetition and practice. I love the way Singapore teaches my children to think things through (I"m using it with my Second grader as well), but I also like the practice and repetition that Saxon and Horizons offer. So I use them all, and I find it to be wonderful for my children. My kindergartner completes a lesson in Horizons K, a lesson in Saxon 1, and a lesson in Singapore 1A each day. She is learning tons and she gets it all done in under an hour. (I am a firm believer that in the early school years the biggest focus should be math and reading, so I don't think 45 minutes a day for math is excessive). My oldest also does Saxon and Singapore and I am so pleased to see how combining the two has helped her learn so much.

As for Horizons, I'm a big fan! Their reading and phonics is fabulous and their math is terrific. The Kindergarten curriculum goes deeper into telling time and counting money than Saxon 1 does, so my youngest is far ahead of where my oldest was at the same age.

Good luck in your decision and Happy Home Schooling!
OT: did you use Horzen Pre-school and did you like it?

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#19 of 25 Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 PM

No I did not use Horizons Pre-school because I didn't start homeschooling until my daughter was already 5 and ready for Kindergarten. I've loved Horizons K and Horizons First Grade, so I'm sure the pre-school would be good too.
#20 of 25 Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskermommy View Post
Well, we haven't purchased it yet, but we're planning on Signapore and maybe a little bit of CLE math since that's the curriculum we'll most likely be using. However, I didn't see the post about Horizons being religious which is something that would've been nice. But with having CLE as our main studies, I don't think it'll be much of an issue.

I tested DD with the Signapore math placement tests and she was past the EB ones so we decided to wait until the beginning of the year to start Signapore. We're pretty excited!

Thanks everyone for your responses!
We are almost done with EB...I'm trying to stretch it to January. Then we are going to move to Horizons K and decide which program is best for dd.

I recently discovered CLE too! I plan on using their Bible curriculum when we start K next fall!!

Are you using Standards or US edition? I previewed Standards and didn't like it (I did like the activity book) so I need to check out the US Edition too.
#21 of 25 Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 AM

I should know this, i will feel stupid for asking but:

Quote:
I recently discovered CLE too
???

#22 of 25 Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Christian Light Education by Christian Light Publications:

http://www.clp.org/store/browse/31_curriculum

They have a Bible curriculum that interests me!

On another note, SM is not going to work for us. This came about this am (after I posted earlier) when I asked dd about math. We discussed the current unit we just started and she is already bored. I think spiral (Horizons) will be more interesting because she will be doing something different each day. I also can skip the stuff she already knows and Horizons moves fast - I think she needs that too. I let her pick pages she wanted to do out of her CTC math this am and she was happy doing that. She liked doing even/odd, for example, because it was new.

This experience above just makes me think about the poor kids in PS and they don't have a choice!
#23 of 25 Old 11-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
Christian Light Education by Christian Light Publications:

http://www.clp.org/store/browse/31_curriculum

They have a Bible curriculum that interests me!

On another note, SM is not going to work for us. This came about this am (after I posted earlier) when I asked dd about math. We discussed the current unit we just started and she is already bored. I think spiral (Horizons) will be more interesting because she will be doing something different each day. I also can skip the stuff she already knows and Horizons moves fast - I think she needs that too. I let her pick pages she wanted to do out of her CTC math this am and she was happy doing that. She liked doing even/odd, for example, because it was new.

This experience above just makes me think about the poor kids in PS and they don't have a choice!
see i knew i shoudl know that.

We are looking at horzen for pre-school (4/5 year) in teh fall.

i know that the idea of the sprial is that they introduce something new, then reinforce something old .. to keep the child moving on new topics but pratciing all stuff too? correrct

#24 of 25 Old 11-30-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
see i knew i shoudl know that.

We are looking at horzen for pre-school (4/5 year) in teh fall.

i know that the idea of the sprial is that they introduce something new, then reinforce something old .. to keep the child moving on new topics but pratciing all stuff too? correrct
Yeah, that's how they work it.

You are still considering the PreK boxed curriculum? The only "eh" thing I thought about that was they don't move fast enough. Like they work on a triangle shape for about two weeks. Maybe the second half of the curriculum moves faster though.
#25 of 25 Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM

i am not sure

I want to start a more formal / offical approach in 2010 fall ... do a pratcie year before we are accountable to the state in 2011 for "kindergarden". looking under beds.

Mainly to get our ducks in a row here at home. to get us into a routine. but also so we are "test drive" the curr we plan to use. be it an all in one boxed one -- or be it differnt ones for each subject (math, reading, etc).

I do NOT want to craft together stuff once we are 'really into school" (also DH will not support that , his vision of HS is a est curr that we follow -- change as we need but that is "there" for us to work from)

My idea of a fromal prkk year (prek4/5) is to test drive what we want to use -- to see that we like it, to see it works for us. so we are set and ready to go when we need to be. i do not want to be fumbling around in K any more than necessary -- Dh is not gonna be supportive of that. and i will start to get anxious too.

BUT I do not want to push him or us, i feel he has a lot to with play. also he has some SN that we need to sort out and give him time to mature.

Also -- there is a lot of "typical pre-k stuff" he knows cold .. and other stuff he is really struggling with / doesn't care to try / has not caught on to yet.

i need to look at the scope and sequence more carefully.

really i think if i can find a phonics / pre-reading / laungae art "program" that might be all we need. i can pull arts and crafts off THAT and our weekly theme for reading at the Lib and art too ....

and add in a little math

i want something "established" or boxed or complete so I feel accountablity -- a check list. We do a lot on our own .. but with no Bigger Plan it is eay to slide and do nothing today as we are not 'behind" even if we do nothing all week which is fine for now .. but ny fall 2010 i want to be in a better routine so fall of 2011 is not a rude awakening to us.

blather

blather

bl;ather

so I am unsure what curr i want for prek4/5 .. but yes i want one.

Aimee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page