4th Grade Grammar? Do you LIKE what you are doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Title says it all! If you like what you are using for grammar (esp. 4th grade grammar), please post and tell me what it is.

Last year we used a grammar workbook from Barnes and Nobel. It did the trick, introduced dd to parts of speech, punctuation, etc. but I didn't think the lessons really taught. . .it was too easy just to underline without thinking yk. So, this year, rather than repeating that task, I ordered Editor In Chief. Now, it DOES make you think! But, again, I don't think LEARNING is really happening. We try the exercise (and yes, I did say WE--half the time I am guessing too!) and then look up the answer, read the explanation and go "oh". So, we aren't quite at that level yet.

We do have a huge book of mad libs--they are fun and have reinforced parts of speech, but I want her word usage, sentence structure, etc. to be developed too.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We did Editor In Chief for two years, but The Kid's total language skills were a mess. He knew the rules, could apply them, couldn't think of them while doing the work.

This year we're doing Writing Tales, a grammar intensive LA program. We started with the first book (meant for 3-4th graders) just to see what it would be like. And so far? We love it. It's slow going, covering only these objectives in the first year:
-parts of speech
-types of sentences
-rules of a sentence
-capitalization rules
-indirect vs. direct quotes
-types of punctuation

However, it's just the right pace for The Kid when it comes to working on his actual writing. There's plenty of games and activities and each bit of daily work is around 15 minutes on average. We spend 2 weeks at a time dissecting a short story going over grammar, writing style, author bio..every activity is built around that story for the two weeks, and then we move on.

They only have two books so far in the series but they do offer a great suggestion on a series to follow it after theirs is finished, so if this continues to work (I have a kid WRITING. ) we may just keep following the same method, maybe picking up another EiC book as a supplement later when he needs something more challenging.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 AM

lilygrace, thank you so much for sharing what you use! it looks like something my daughter might really enjoy. i will bookmark it and consider it for next year when she's 9. thank you again!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 10-08-2009, 11:37 PM

we use early language lessons level 4 and love it

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It's catholic in nature so wouldn't work for everyone, but I really love Catholic Heritage Curriculum's Language of God series for Grammar.

DD is starting kinder this coming fall, but I have the books through 4th grade and really really love them. Very gentle but very complete - I had a friend who was an English major in college look them over and she was amazed at the level of instruction in them!

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:04 AM

We've been using Easy Grammar for a few years now and DS really likes it -- so much so that when I told him that after we finished the grade 6 book (which we just started), I wouldn't insist on grammar anymore, he was disappointed!

It's very simply done, no fancy colours or pictures, no gimmicks. And yet my crazy hyperactive ADHD hates-to-write son just loves it. The lessons are short and quick and easy, maybe that's why lol... But don't let the "easy" fool you. The approach is great and makes everything seem easy and sensible, but it's not dumbed down or anything, it's good, real grammar.

Another option is the Michael Clay Thompson series... Grammar Island, Grammar Town, Grammar Voyage, and accompanying practice books, vocabulary books (based on latin roots), poetry books... Rather than lessons, the grammar books are actually stories. I haven't used them myself, I only just found out about them recently, but I've been hanging out on their message boards and they seem to be HUGELY successful with the kids and the parents too.

I'm not going to 'fix what ain't broke' with my son, but if we WERE looking for a different grammar curriculum that's what I'd try next.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
Old 10-09-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Thanks everyone, now I have plenty to look at! This subject and I just don't get along all that well.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
Another option is the Michael Clay Thompson series... Grammar Island, Grammar Town, Grammar Voyage, and accompanying practice books, vocabulary books (based on latin roots), poetry books... Rather than lessons, the grammar books are actually stories. I haven't used them myself, I only just found out about them recently, but I've been hanging out on their message boards and they seem to be HUGELY successful with the kids and the parents too.
I didn't respond, but this is what we are going to do next year. I like the whole MCT series and love that if it clicks with ds, (I'm thinking it will) the program will take him through high school.

http://www.rfwp.com/mct.php

There is a great pdf that shows how to incorporate all the elements together - grammar, writing, poetry, vocab. -

http://www.rfwp.com/samples/LA-ELEM.pdf

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:46 AM

We have used the Michael Clay Thompson books (grammar, vocab. and poetry) from www.rfwp.com for several years. We love them! They seem designed to seduce a student into a love of language and of classic literature. The elementary level books are visually appealing, really just a beautiful layout to go along with the beautiful language. They are curl up together and talk over books rather than workbooks. They do have practice books available if desired.

We're into the secondary level books now and they are excellent. My daughter's vocabulary is huge, her grasp of grammar solid, and she loves to think about and discuss how language works.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
We've been using Easy Grammar for a few years now and DS really likes it -- so much so that when I told him that after we finished the grade 6 book (which we just started), I wouldn't insist on grammar anymore, he was disappointed!

It's very simply done, no fancy colours or pictures, no gimmicks. And yet my crazy hyperactive ADHD hates-to-write son just loves it. The lessons are short and quick and easy, maybe that's why lol... But don't let the "easy" fool you. The approach is great and makes everything seem easy and sensible, but it's not dumbed down or anything, it's good, real grammar.
I second this. We have been using it for 4 or 5 years. And most everyone I know uses it. Easy Grammer is SOOOOOOO easy to teach and do!

We also use their Daily Grams to go along with it. The Daily Grams is designed for daily review. There are 5 short things to do every day to help them remember things. My kids do it in 10 minutes or less. And the Daily Grams book, you only have to buy once because they copy it out of the book. So it can be used for siblings. Here is a link to Easy Grammar and Daily Grams:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodl...&category=1750

http://www.rainbowresource.com/searc...188937-1258729

I am not one to do heavy grammar work until 8th/9th grade. That is why this is perfect. Until then, I believe that reading every day helps in grammar more than anything does because they READ good grammar.

Anyway, jmho...

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March

User Tag List